• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT2| Brought To You By Buckethead™

Status
Not open for further replies.

WedgeX

Banned
I am a big fan of Jim Harbaugh too. While you are penciling

ibc1jK0efns8Tg.jpg

I really like that these got made.

mr2xxx

Banned
How bad was Pat White as a Dolphin? Does he have an arm at least? Accurate? Cant tell since be only threw 5 passes and completed none as an NFL QB. He admitted he had no idea how to read film so low football IQ is a given. Which explains partly why he was bad enough to drop after one season and only threw it 5 times for 0 I completions.

On the positive side he bulked to 205 at 6' and goes to an offense that he is better suited. Maybe he could become a back up to RG3 if we ever trade Kirk but those chances are highly unlikely.

How bad was Pat White as a Dolphin? Does he have an arm at least? Accurate? Cant tell since be only threw 5 passes and completed none as an NFL QB. He admitted he had no idea how to read film so low football IQ is a given. Which explains partly why he was bad enough to drop after one season and only threw it 5 times for 0 I completions.

On the positive side he bulked to 205 at 6' and goes to an offense that he is better suited. Maybe he could become a back up to RG3 if we ever trade Kirk but those chances are highly unlikely.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=042C1b0wGSo

Read option fail.

jakncoke

Banned

I thought he quit because he was pussy that got rocked by a Steeler? Also lol at him quiting baseball to come back to NFL.

squicken

Path to the Draft had more on the Geno stuff. Mayock vouched for Norwacki, but didn't danced around the off the field stuff. Says his problems are with Geno the QB. Stares down WRs. Doesn't throw with anticipation. Accuracy comes and goes, especially on deep balls. Not a top 20 guy, but some team may fall in love with him as he makes his visits

Kind of seems like Carolina is in the WR market. Would they want a bigger guy like Patterson, Austin, or wait until round two and go with Hunter or Patton?

ChanHuk

Banned
Fuck 2013 NFL season, it's already dead to me. 2014 though....Raiders will have 40-50 million in cap space to reload on players and a full draft for once. I need a time machine.

Greg

Fuck 2013 NFL season, it's already dead to me. 2014 though....Raiders will have 40-50 million in cap space to reload on players and a full draft for once. I need a time machine.
just in time for a 50 million guaranteed Vince Young contract

what free agent is going to turn around the raiders fortunes? who was the last team to drastically improve through free agency alone?

the only thing that will turn the raiders around is drafting well and hoping the coaching staff works out

ChanHuk

Banned
Why haven't all to negative pessimistic scumbags been hit by John Madden's tour bus?

Raiders will double their wins in 2013 from 2-14 to 4-12 in 2014. We don't tie like those frauds across the bay either.

Drakeon

Ok NFL-Gaf, does anyone have good recommendations for Football podcasts? The one I used to listen to (ESPN Football Today) seems to be dieing, so I'm looking for a new one.

bionic77

Ok NFL-Gaf, does anyone have good recommendations for Football podcasts? The one I used to listen to (ESPN Football Today) seems to be dieing, so I'm looking for a new one.
That was the one I used to listen to. I am not a fan but Rich Eisen's podcast gets great guests.

That was the one I used to listen to. I am not a fan but Rich Eisen's podcast gets great guests.

Its really rough during the offseason, but its pretty ok during the season itself. Its the only one I really listen to for football too. And you're right, his guests are usually pretty fabulous

Steve Doerschuk ‏ @ sdoerschukREP 41m
Banner's Eagles traded pick in top 40 eight straight years, with him having a say. Very strong bet Trader Joe moves down from No. 6.

Nate Ulrich ‏ @ NateUlrichABJ 2m
2013 # NFLDraft: ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr. thinks # Browns will have "great opportunities" to trade down from No. 6 -- http://www.ohio.com/blogs/cleveland-browns/cleveland-browns-1.27....386614?%3F%3F=

Tony Pauline ‏ @ TonyPauline 5m
Gavin Escobar/TE/SDSU visiting Philadelphia today then Carolina & Cleveland...i hear lotsa interest from the E-A-G-L-E-S, Eagles for Escobar
Blast of brown for the night! And some iggles

Rorschach

what free agent is going to turn around the raiders fortunes? who was the last team to drastically improve through free agency alone?

the only thing that will turn the raiders around is drafting well and hoping the coaching staff works out

It's not just about FA. It's about being able to keep players long term and getting a few FAs along the way. The Raiders lost a lot of guys to FA because they can't even offer modest contracts. The bloat of all the Davis contracts and the terrible Jackson trade won't be hanging over the Raiders in a couple of years. They're finally in rebuild mode.

Raiders are still being treated 'round these parts like Al Davis is running shit, but Jerry Jones is the new Al Davis. If the Raiders have one successful season, it'll be like the Redskins where everyone forgot about how terrible Snyder was.

squicken

It's not just about FA. It's about being able to keep players long term and getting a few FAs along the way. The Raiders lost a lot of guys to FA because they can't even offer modest contracts. The bloat of all the Davis contracts and the terrible Jackson trade won't be hanging over the Raiders in a couple of years. They're finally in rebuild mode.

Raiders are still being treated 'round these parts like Al Davis is running shit, but Jerry Jones is the new Al Davis. If the Raiders have one successful season, it'll be like the Redskins where everyone forgot about how terrible Snyder was.

Do you like the direction of the team? Do you trust McKenzie? Mike Silver has been on quite the tear that Reggie isn't very good. I thought his Colts comparison was unfair, but wonder how the fans see it

Rorschach

Do you like the direction of the team? Do you trust McKenzie? Mike Silver has been on quite the tear that Reggie isn't very good. I thought his Colts comparison was unfair, but wonder how the fans see it
First of all, Mike Silver is a fucking idiot. I dislike that guy as a writer and a panelist. Second of all, until McKenzie makes some egregious moves, then I'll give him a chance. He hasn't even had a chance to do much with how bloated the player salaries were. We've got an incredible amount of dead money. All he can do right now is cut fat and make as much space as possible so that there's room to work with the next few seasons. Also, he has less picks in the draft because of previous moronic trades too. Hopefully, he can trade down and make up the deficit. The Colts' situation isn't comparable at all either.

Raiders fans should just be happy to have a GM period. "Woooow a real life GM," they should say "I've heard about these..." I wouldn't want Mark to have his hand in the pot.

I was reading a Mike Silver article a few days ago because a bears fan basically forced me to.

Urlacher was insulted. What the rest of us think is irrelevant. His opinion is the only one that counts and thus, by definition, the offer was insulting.

Shut the fuck up, Mike Silver. You're bad and you should feel bad. And why do you look so greasy? Ugh.

I believe that Urlacher, whom I've found to be one of the more honest and candid men in his profession, has an accurate read on the situation.
He gave me an interview in 2009, so I'm gonna wash his balls now. Bleh.

Urlacher was insulted. What the rest of us think is irrelevant. His opinion is the only one that counts and thus, by definition, the offer was insulting.

lol so if the bears offered brian urlacher a 20 year, $10 billion offer, but urlacher felt it was insulting, then it shouldn't matter what anyone else thinks?

squicken

That's a good answer haha. With all the dead money it's only fair to give him a shot to turn it around. I didn't love the decision on the coach, but there's no way to know what the constraints are on him, either. I know you guys hated Knapp. Never know when an assistant is forced on a head coach b/c the owner doesn't want to pay for a fired assistant coach

Hunter S.

you ghetto thugs have not won anything in my lifetime except when Gruden coached.

The Broncos bandwagon is happy to to take the tired and weak.

Wes

venison crêpe
Chris Mortensen ‏ @ mortreport
That's their goal RT @ OUDixon: I wouldn't mind seeing the Browns trade back and get a second round pick

Browns do need corners; usually top 10-pick CBs have better ball skills but he's on radar RT @ IlGreven: Unless Milliner falls to 6, yes.

We're going to trade down so hard!

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Anybody read PFT's report on possible collusion? Florio is such a shill for the players. He admits that there's no real evidence of collusion and then goes ahead and implies collusion is occurring.

That site has basically become a PA mouthpiece.

Draxal

That's their goal RT @ OUDixon: I wouldn't mind seeing the Browns trade back and get a second round pick

Browns do need corners; usually top 10-pick CBs have better ball skills but he's on radar RT @ IlGreven: Unless Milliner falls to 6, yes.

This is a bad draft to trade down in.

Seanspeed

Banned
Whats NFL coverage like over in England/Europe? I'm worried I'm gonna have a real hard time following the sport. Especially late games.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle

TRADE DOWN SO HARD MUFUCKAS WANNA FINE ME!

This is a bad draft to trade down in.

How so? Every account has been saying this isn't a draft full of studs but solid pros all over the first round.

TRADE DOWN SO HARD MUFUCKAS WANNA FINE ME!

How so? Every account has been saying this isn't a draft full of studs but solid pros all over the first round.

I think the point is that everyone at the top wants to trade down, and there are not any standout players for teams to trade up for. I hope the Eagles can trade down but I doubt anyone wants the 4th pick.

Wes

venison crêpe
Whats NFL coverage like over in England/Europe? I'm worried I'm gonna have a real hard time following the sport. Especially late games.

In the UK the Sunday night game is live on Channel 4 in which they do a review of all day's games and the Monday night game is live on BBC. Sky (subscription based channel) show two games, one early and one late game live on Sunday back to back and last year they also had another channel showing RedZone.

One of the late Sunday games is broadcast on BBC radio too.

Seanspeed

Banned
In the UK the Sunday night game is live on Channel 4 in which they do a review of all day's games and the Monday night game is live on BBC. Sky (subscription based channel) show two games, one early and one late game live on Sunday back to back and last year they also had another channel showing RedZone.

One of the late Sunday games is broadcast on BBC radio too.
Phew, ok, thats rough. Thanks.

Wes

venison crêpe
I think the point is that everyone at the top wants to trade down, and there are not any standout players for teams to trade up for. I hope the Eagles can trade down but I doubt anyone wants the 4th pick.

It seems there are three potential trade baits in the top 10:

-One of the Offensive Tackles
-Dee Milner
-Geno Smith

Based on these rumours I've heard so far:

- The Chargers and Dolphins are thinking about trading up ahead of the Cardinals at 7 to get one of the three LTs available. They could theoretically trade with the Eagles, Lions or Browns here.
- The Bucs and Dolphins are also mooted to have considered trading up for Dee Milner who could go anywhere between 2 and 6.
- Geno Smith is the top QB in the draft and a team may panic and decide to take him early than he should (although I think he'll fall to Buffalo and they'll take him).

effzee

Yeah but who wants to move up to your spot? And for which player? Geno Smith? I heard he don't even lift weight.

It seems there are three potential trade baits in the top 10:

-One of the Offensive Tackles
-Dee Milner
-Geno Smith

Based on these rumours I've heard so far:

- The Chargers and Dolphins are thinking about trading up ahead of the Cardinals at 7 to get one of the three LTs available. They could theoretically trade with the Eagles, Lions or Browns here.
- The Bucs and Dolphins are also mooted to have considered trading up for Dee Milner who could go anywhere between 2 and 6.
- Geno Smith is the top QB in the draft and a team may panic and decide to take him early than he should (although I think he'll fall to Buffalo and they'll take him).

I could see a team trade up for a LT, but any team that trades up for Geno or Dee is fucking nuts. I just dont see either guy being worth trading up for. I guess there are always guys like Jerry Jones who will trade up and reach for guys, but that seems to be the eception now rather then the norm. It really seems like most GMs want to play it safe now.

Wes

venison crêpe
I could see a team trade up for a LT, but any team that trades up for Geno or Dee is fucking nuts. I just dont see either guy being worth trading up for. I guess there are always guys like Jerry Jones who will trade up and reach for guys, but that seems to be the eception now rather then the norm. It really seems like most GMs want to play it safe now.

I agree. I doubt the Milliner one will happen. The value in cornerbacks in this class seems to be around 20-40.
I only list Geno Smith because in recent years we've seen a trend in QBs going before they should.

The LT link though is legit. Numerous outlets have talked about it. Here is a really good video from NFL Network talking about possible trades happening in the first round.

Kiper said exactly the same yesterday.

Kiper doesn’t expect Alabama cornerback Dee Milliner to be available when the Browns are put on the clock at No. 6 on April 25 because he believes the Detroit Lions will grab Milliner at No. 5. If that’s the case, Kiper thinks the Browns will either select a pass-rushing outside linebacker like Oregon’s Dion Jordan or swap picks with a team hungry for an offensive tackle like the San Diego Chargers, who are slotted at No. 11.

“They’re going to have, I think, great opportunities to move down because that pick is going to represent either Eric Fisher, possibly, the left tackle from Central Michigan, or Lane Johnson, the left tackle from Oklahoma,” Kiper said today during a conference call. “So that’s going to be a valuable pick that somebody’s going to want. So, yeah, I think they could move down.

“There’s no corner to take after Milliner at pick No. 6. I don’t think there’s a corner to consider until you get into maybe that [No.]-19 area is the first time I would consider a corner. In that [Nos.] 19-32 range is where I think maybe you’re going see maybe two to three to four corners come off the board.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom