• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT2| Brought To You By Buckethead™

Status
Not open for further replies.

Godslay

Banned
I'm not joking. I remember or the longest time gamers were always moaning that their hobby and 'nerd culture' was not respected by the mainstream, and instead now they're trying to push the frat guys and soccer moms back out. It's douchey and exclusionary.

Whenever I see somebody disqualify a game or a person as dudebro-y I get a mental picture of nerds sitting in overstuffed leather chairs, wearing monocles and top hots, swirling glasses of scotch and discussing who would win a fight between Batman and Spiderman.

I put in my two cents over there. I personally think it's nice having a common thread of gaming with people who I normally wouldn't have a lot in common with. Plus the more people into or buying the product promotes a healthy ecosystem. Large, well funded, low risk successful games sustain the platform, which allow smaller devs a way onto the platform to create what they want.

Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon is fun as hell.

Yes it is! Even with the jaggies it still looks and plays great.

rob-gronkowski-shirtless-pool.jpg

Welcome back Captain!

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Yes it is! Even with the jaggies it still looks and plays great.

See things like jaggies are when I learned I don't give a shit about GAF's opinion when it comes to graphics. Most of the time they over exaggerate any graphics issues.

I don't even see these apparently jaggies I'm supposed to be punched in the face with on the XL.

jakncoke

Banned
I still dont understand why arent there more pricing tiers. between 5-10 dollar psn/xbox live game to 60. I guess price collapses kinda count but you'd think there be more games with starting MSRP between there. Unless it started and I just missed it happening.

Draxal

I still dont understand why arent there more pricing tiers. between 5-10 dollar psn/xbox live game to 60. I guess price collapses kinda count but you'd think there be more games with starting MSRP between there. Unless it started and I just missed it happening.

There are doing that but the pricing fluctuation is very arbitrary.

Honestly, free to play kinda works like that but instead it's like $0 to $10,000, as does kickstarting games.

Godslay

Banned
See things like jaggies are when I learned I don't give a shit about GAF's opinion when it comes to graphics. Most of the time they over exaggerate any graphics issues.

I don't even see these apparently jaggies I'm supposed to be punched in the face with on the XL.

I don't mind them, and they aren't going to take away from my enjoyment of certain games. They are to be expected with the larger screen.

So is Team Fake-Bavarian back in full force to succumb to Team Best-USA's drinking capabilities?

I had a real solid practice session last night.

Good for you son, but nobody really cared that you were gone

<3

Welcome back Dutch! Watch your dirty German mouth from now on, why dontcha.

Ich habe es nicht gewusst

Welcome back Captain!

Shirtless party at my place!

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
The Genesis was the original dudebro console! They had Joe Montana plastered everywhere!

I love the term dudebro. Except it isn't just frat guys it also includes, from my observations, stoners and dads. Basically it represents the casual male audience that plays more than phone games. The exact same audience that bought the crap out of Tony Hawk and GTA.

That said, someone in that thread summed me up nicely. Early on the 360 had the most and best exclusives. Then the PS3 slim released and Sony started having the most exclusives. Since I'm not poor and I like games, I'm a Sony guy now.

Godslay

Banned
The Genesis was the original dudebro console! They had Joe Montana plastered everywhere!

I love the term dudebro. Except it isn't just frat guys it also includes, from my observations, stoners and dads. Basically it represents the casual male audience that plays more than phone games. The exact same audience that bought the crap out of Tony Hawk and GTA.

That said, someone in that thread summed me up nicely. Early on the 360 had the most and best exclusives. Then the PS3 slim released and Sony started having the most exclusives. Since I'm not poor and I like games, I'm a Sony guy now.

You just blew my mind! I must be an OG dudebro, because I loved Joe Montana Sports Talk Football on the Genesis. Half-back pass all day long!

bionic77

It looks kind of ghetto next to a Vita (which is really sexy at all levels) but I don't give a fuck about graphics either so I won't argue with you.

I can't say this gen of consoles was that great. One of the stalest gen for me ever. Every previous gen seemed like such a huge leap. Going from Atari to Super Mario made you shit your pants. Then it was perfected in the 16 bit gen.

Then with the N64 and PSX we all got to play 3D for the first time and everything was brand new and fucking amazing (at the time now it mostly looks like shit). Starting with the DC and ending with Xbox they then pretty much nailed down 3D games. This gen we got those same games in HD. Very underwhelming. The DS felt the most exciting to me and was by far the best platform. And now it is the same shit again next gen. Very hard for me to get super excited about that.

I guess that is why Occulus Rift seems so exciting. It's the only new thing in games these days. Unless you are the rule that gets excited for Zelda and Halo HD squared (but otherwise the same shit).

Godslay

Banned
Listening to all you people talk makes me want to consider getting a 3DS, and get back into handheld gaming.

It's a great machine. Plus you get the entirety of the DS catalog if that makes a difference. Anymore it seems like handheld gaming is taking over my gaming time.

It's a great machine. Plus you get the entirety of the DS catalog if that makes a difference. Anymore it seems like handheld gaming is taking over my gaming time.
Hmm I'm really considering it right now, I'd love to get a chance to play Advance wars again. I'm about to go to gaming side and research

I've owned main consoles from all of the big guys, but as for Sony I got a PS1 and 2 at the end of their lifespan. May go with Sony this gen just because I've never gone with them from the beginning. Obivously that's dependent on price and games, but I wouldn't say I have any brand loyalty for one console over another. Only game I'm really looking forward to this gen is Smash 4

bionic77

I've owned main consoles from all of the big guys, but as for Sony I got a PS1 and 2 at the end of their lifespan. May go with Sony this gen just because I've never gone with them from the beginning. Obivously that's dependent on price and games, but I wouldn't say I have any brand loyalty for one console over another. Only game I'm really looking forward to this gen is Smash 4
You get great deals at the end of gens but the price is worth it to play certain games when they come out.

Like GTA3. You really had to play it when it came out to understand why it was such a big deal at the time.

ChanHuk

Banned
I've had Nintendo and Sony devices all my life. I had a Dreamcast that I adored but that was short lived. Not getting a Wii U, I don't even know where my Wii is.

I am going to be getting a PS4 day one and that remote play shit is making me want a Vita. And Sega you better be continuing the Valkyria Chronicles series on PS4 or at the very last port the first one for PSN on PS4.

You get great deals at the end of gens but the price is worth it to play certain games when they come out.

Like GTA3. You really had to play it when it came out to understand why it was such a big deal at the time.

Yeah for sure. I just think they are all to expensive. I may give myself a loose rule that I have to wait for a game to be out a year before buying it. I redbox most of my games nowadays. Played Skyrim, Red Dead Redemption, Sleeping Dogs, Halo 4, and Dishonored all for less than the price of a new game. Only one I wouldn't recommend doing that with is Skyrim. Kept that one way too long

I've had Nintendo and Sony devices all my life. I had a Dreamcast that I adored but that was short lived. Not getting a Wii U, I don't even know where my Wii is.

I am going to be getting a PS4 day one and that remote play shit is making me want a Vita. And Sega you better be continuing the Valkyria Chronicles series on PS4 or at the very last port the first one for PSN on PS4.

Vita is awesome. Shame it's a failure

bionic77

If I could only have one system it would be the 3DS. If only two my second would be a PS4. And the Vita and U are somewhere 3rd and 4th for me.

I guess it depends on what Microsoft does. If it really is no used games they are signing their own death warrant unless games are all going to be twenty bucks day one

Colasante

It sucks that Gronkowski will probably miss the opener, but this could end up being a blessing in disguise. The only thing that matters is for him to be healthy for the playoffs, giving him even more time to get right might end up a net positive.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
I guess it depends on what Microsoft does. If it really is no used games they are signing their own death warrant unless games are all going to be twenty bucks day one

There are no used games in the pc market. The smart publishers just start slashing prices after a while. And steam sales. Those damn steam sales!

I'm saying that the used game part isn't the damning thing, here. It's the always online, which MS will spin to be a good thing, will end them. The first time their servers bite the dust or are down for maintenance or whatever, then the real backlash will begin.

I'm not looking forward to that day, as all of gaf will be united in a giant game of "I told you so."

There are no used games in the pc market. The smart publishers just start slashing prices after a while. And steam sales. Those damn steam sales!

I'm saying that the used game part isn't the damning thing, here. It's the always online, which MS will spin to be a good thing, will end them. The first time their servers bite the dust or are down for maintenance or whatever, then the real backlash will begin.

I'm not looking forward to that day, as all of gaf will be united in a giant game of "I told you so."

Yeah if you can't play without it being connected it will be real bad. I think you're underestimating the used game thing though. You're right about the PC market, but I think the Console gaming audience is much more reliant on gamestop, eBay, and redbox, and I don't see Publishers slashing prices. If they do, the difference definitely won't be to the same degree as the difference between a new and used game now. We will lose money either way. It is an aboslute deal breaker on my end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom