• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL February 2013 |OT| A Black History Month "Miracle in the Making"

Tabris

Also the fact is, you need a little bit of "destiny" (there's your answer) to win a Stanley Cup.

Everything has to go right for your team during that time. You usually have to have either a good balance of entry-level contracts or cheap contracts, to fit enough talent under the salary cap. You have to be lucky around injuries. You have to be on a good momentum swing at the right time. How your competition plays their previous games against other teams matters as if they have an easier path, they may be more rested, but they could possibly be too rested. You have to have good reffing or the bad reffing work in your favour. You have to win the individual motivational battles that occur during a series. And also usually you have to have a goaltender who is on fire.

It's not just about the skill your team has and it's mental toughness. Literally everything has to go right at the exact time. That's what I call a bit of "destiny".

And I've been hoping for that and believing in that for 3 years, ever since the Sedins, Burrows, and Kesler have kicked it to the next stage.

CCF23

Tell me the last time I said destiny in these threads.

And what does 40 years have to do with the current team? Nothing. Different owner, different management, different players, different logos, and for a majority of the fans, different fans. Stop selling your team short based on 40+ years of absolute failures that has nothing to do with the current organization in any way except the name of the team and city it's in. Let that baggage go man.

History absolutely means something, and the history of the Canucks is failure. This applies to the shit 40 years ago, and it applies to the team that lost spectacularly to the Bruins, followed it up with another President's Trophy, and then lost in the first round.

Sure, it's a good time to be a Canucks fan, in spite of that. This is probably the best team we've ever had, but it doesn't change history, and it doesn't project into some kind of destiny that just because this team is pretty fucking good now, we're going to win a Stanley Cup.

Cheer on the team, by all means. Be confident in the team, by all means. Don't act like the team is entitled or destined. It's embarrassing.

And I've been hoping for that for 3 years.

Nope. That's the reason no one likes reading your posts. You don't "hope" for it, you profess it. You shout it as if you've seen the future.

Tabris

How does it apply to the current team? What does Stan Smyl's team (outside of his management role now) have to do with the current team? What does Kurtenbach have to do with Henrik Sedin?

Nope. That's the reason no one likes reading your posts. You don't "hope" for it, you profess it. You shout it as if you've seen the future.

When was the last time I did that?

I also don't mind if you don't like reading my posts. I generally disagree with most fans here on how to cheer on the Canucks. I like hoping and thinking they will do well. A lot of fans take the negative and be surprised approach to cheering on their teams. And I don't mind if you disagree with my opinions and thoughts, and I don't mind the trash talk. Just don't want to get into a name calling situation.

Acid08

Banned
Also the fact is, you need a little bit of "destiny" (there's your answer) to win a Stanley Cup.

Everything has to go right for your team during that time. You usually have to have either a good balance of entry-level contracts or cheap contracts, to fit enough talent under the salary cap. You have to be lucky around injuries. You have to be on a good momentum swing at the right time. How your competition plays their previous games against other teams matters as if they have an easier path, they may be more rested, but they could possibly be too rested. You have to have good reffing or the bad reffing work in your favour. You have to win the individual motivational battles that occur during a series. And also usually you have to have a goaltender who is on fire.

It's not just about the skill your team has and it's mental toughness. Literally everything has to go right at the exact time. That's what I call a bit of "destiny".

And I've been hoping for that and believing in that for 3 years, ever since the Sedins, Burrows, and Kesler have kicked it to the next stage.
i87YRVpBkA8.jpg

Also it's called a legacy, Tabris.

Quick

Banned
This series of replies between Tabris and the rest of you guys have been something like a breakthrough.

Anyway, I do think Tabris makes a point that it gets absolutely hostile here when people talk to him. At the same time, I do think Tabris asks for it sometimes, and does play the victim card all too quickly. It's like he already knows people are either going to jump on him, or ignore him when he posts.

Speaking as a Leafs fan, history does play a factor and you can't simply let go of failure. It's the driving force of why you try to improve and try harder the next time. And history would also remind you that there's no such thing as destiny.

I really hope the Leafs win the Cup before I die, and I personally remain optimistic, but I keep that optimism in check.

(This is a really neutral post)

Tabris

Also it's called a legacy, Tabris.

Yeah, let the baggage (legacy) go Acid. Focus on what the Sharks are doing right now. It's not your fault that the Sharks have failed in the past. It's not your fault. It's not your fault.

tumblr_m6082tLHx61r9y0s2o1_500.gif

CCF23

How does it apply to the current team? What does Stan Smyl's team (outside of his management role now) have to do with the current team? What does Kurtenbach have to do with Henrik Sedin?

When was the last time I did that?

I also don't mind if you don't like reading my posts. I generally disagree with most fans here on how to cheer on the Canucks. I like hoping and thinking they will do well. A lot of fans take the negative and be surprised approach to cheering on their teams. And I don't mind if you disagree with my opinions and thoughts, and I don't mind the trash talk. Just don't want to get into a name calling situation.

It doesn't have to apply to Stan Smyl or Orland Kurtenbach. It does, but if you can't see that, then it doesn't even have to for my point to ring true. It applies to the players that blew two chances to win a single game to win a Stanley Cup. The team was outscored 9-2 in the two games where they could've won the Cup. That's not Smyl, or the 70s or 80s, that's this team almost in its entirety. That's all you have to look at for a little humility.

Honestly, I shouldn't be taking the time to even type this out because I legitimately don't care whether or not you ever "get it". Even if it clicks, I feel like you've done far too much damage to "Tabris" to ever garner any kind of credibility or respect around here.

You mistake "negativity" for "realism". The experiences we've had as Canucks fans lead us to be guarded in our optimism. I'll provide you a Canucks themed example:

Roberto Luongo's play in October. Every single year he's horrible in October. Even you'd have to admit that. That's history. That's a pattern. Going into every year with him as our starting goalie, I'm nervous about October because there's a history of Luongo blowing it. It doesn't mean that I don't care. It doesn't mean that I'm not hopeful or that I won't cheer that maybe, just maybe, the next year will be the one he'll have a good October. It means I won't stand here and say "SHIT GUYS LUONGO'S GOT THIS OCTOBER THING HE'S GOING TO WIN PLAYER OF THE MONTH".

History, Tabris. It matters.

This series of replies between Tabris and the rest of you guys have been something like a breakthrough.

Anyway, I do think Tabris makes a point that it gets absolutely hostile here when people talk to him. At the same time, I do think Tabris asks for it sometimes, and does play the victim card all too quickly. It's like he already knows people are either going to jump on him, or ignore him when he posts.

Speaking as a Leafs fan, history does play a factor and you can't simply let go of failure. It's the driving force of why you try to improve and try harder the next time. And history would also remind you that there's no such thing as destiny.

I really hope the Leafs win the Cup before I die, and I personally remain optimistic, but I keep that optimism in check.

I don't like your name.

It always confuses me into thinking you're a Kings fan.

:(

Tabris

You're talking about a history of the players on the team, but you just said a 40 year old history. What does everything in the last 40 years outside of the current team, have to do with the current team? The current history of this Canucks team is they are a heck of team that is competing for a playoff spot and a chance at the Cup every year. They got outscored in 2 games as they ran into a super hot goaltender and a team on a large momentum swing (and the million other factors that occurred that I talked about in previous post). Those things happen and you just gotta focus on the next year.

Also I don't care whether I get respect or credibility here honestly. I'm posting to voice opinions and have a bit of fun. My only point in the beginning of this was I don't want to get into name calling as that's not what I'm about anymore, so I ignored Marvie instead of participating.

CCF23

Nah, I'm good.

Acid08
Soap -> Mouth

You're talking about a history of the players on the team, but you just said a 40 year old history. What does everything in the last 40 years outside of the current team, have to do with the current team? The current history of this Canucks team is they are a heck of team that is competing for a playoff spot and a chance at the Cup every year.

*shrugs*

If you don't get it, not really my problem, man. I tried. Read the Luongo October thing over and over until you understand my point.

Tabris

Yep, and that's the history of Luongo. What does Kurt MacLean have to do with Roberto Luongo? John Garret? My question is what does 40 years of history have to do with Robert Luongo in October?

You said 40 years of failures means something. My question is what does it mean to this current team? What does what happened before this current team, players, management, owners, mean to them except some notion of legacy?

CCF23

*sigh*

The history is what will make it so fucking sweet if/when it finally happens. That's why it matters. You should talk to some Cubs fans.

Tabris

So it just matters to some of the fans. I don't let the history of past team failures affect my opinions on the current team. I've let it go.

I call this era, the Sedin / Gillis era. When Linden / Nonis passed the torch over in 2008. This era has seen the following:

4/4 Playoff Appearances
4/4 NW Division Leaders
2/4 President Trophies
1/4 Clarence Campbells
15/16 Stanley Cup Run that season
2/4 Art Ross Trophies
1/4 Selke Trophies
2/8 MVP Awards

I'm proud of that, that's pretty darn awesome, and I've been super positive we'll make a good run at the Stanley Cup with this team each year. And when they win, I won't be cheering on 40+ (whenever it is) years of effort, but that teams effort!

Acid08

Banned
So it just matters to some of the fans. I don't let the history of past team failures affect my opinions on the current team. I've let it go.

I call this era, the Sedin / Gillis era. When Linden / Nonis passed the torch over in 2008. This era has seen the following:

4/4 Playoff Appearances
4/4 NW Division Leaders
2/4 President Trophies
1/4 Clarence Campbells
2/4 Art Ross Trophies
1/4 Selke Trophies
2/8 MVP Awards

I'm proud of that, that's pretty darn awesome, and I've been super positive we'll make a good run at the Stanley Cup with this team each year. And when they win, I won't be cheering on 40 years of effort, but that teams effort!
That's not even what he's saying :lol

Tabris

That's not even what he's saying :lol

He's saying it matters because as a fan, it will make the win that much better. Well the opposite must be true (the loss must be that much worse when you're basing it on 40+ years), and that must affect his opinion on the current team.

Acid08

Banned
He's saying it matters because as a fan, it will make the win that much better. Well the opposite must be true (the loss must be that much worse when you're basing it on 40+ years), and that must affect his opinion on the current team.

He already said what events have colored his opinion of the current team.

It doesn't have to apply to Stan Smyl or Orland Kurtenbach. It does, but if you can't see that, then it doesn't even have to for my point to ring true. It applies to the players that blew two chances to win a single game to win a Stanley Cup. The team was outscored 9-2 in the two games where they could've won the Cup. That's not Smyl, or the 70s or 80s, that's this team almost in its entirety. That's all you have to look at for a little humility.

Seems like you consider anything that happened more than five minutes ago to be ancient history.

Tabris

Yeah, shit happens. Let it go :) I was pretty depressed about it for a couple weeks, and then just let it go and focused on the next year.

I was depressed about Broncos (well Peyton Manning) losing for a couple weeks. But I let it go (especially after realizing that Broncos couldn't do anything when Ravens had god on their side due to Ray Lewis retiring :) ) and I'm focused on this year.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member

I just want the Leafs to win the Cup before kave_man dies from embarrassment from having to wear a dress.

Solo

As much salt as there is in here, I hope everyone lives to see their team win the Cup. There is absolutely nothing like it in pro sports. I was 10 years old when I witnessed this:

kgrhqzhjesfdzl1uj2jbqe9c0y.jpg

And it was one of the defining moments of my childhood. Everyone should get to experience that. Hell, its been 20 years, and the older I get/the further from the 1993 Cup we get, I gain more and more appreciation for just how hard it is to win it, and I know I will absolutely cherish it if the Habs can do it again.

Man what a rough loss last night. Bryz has to be the worst goalie in the NHL when it comes to moving side to side and hugging the post. So many weak goals sneak in between him and the pipes. Flyers need to not even bother making any moves this year, just miss the playoffs and see what they can do in the offseason to try and fix things.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle

4/4 Playoff Appearances
4/4 NW Division Leaders
2/4 President Trophies
1/4 Clarence Campbells
2/4 Art Ross Trophies
1/4 Selke Trophies
2/8 MVP Awards

I'm proud of that, that's pretty darn awesome, and I've been super positive we'll make a good run at the Stanley Cup with this team each year. And when they win, I won't be cheering on 40+ (whenever it is) years of effort, but that teams effort!

All that's nice sure but zero Stanley Cups in there so none of that shit matters at this point until you win one. And if history doesn't matter I'm sure I wouldn't be hearing "1967" as much as I do from every fanbase that there is. Does it relate to the players that are playing now? Of course not none of them were even alive then but they suit up for the Blue and White so it's a burden they have to deal with until they win the Cup again. Same way the Canucks will have to deal with being chokers until they finally win.

Also a big fuck off to you and your juvenile bullshit. Enough of this "woe is me" crap you keep pulling everytime you come in here with your bullshit posts to try to incite everyone. Grow the fuck up and you'd probably be treated with actual respect in here instead of destroyed on every post you make.

It says a lot about what and how you post when your own fanbase don't really stick up for you.

Yes a lot of times your posts don't deserve to be ripped apart but frankly with your history of arrogance and just outright douchery it's justified. You're not much higher then Fortunateson when it comes to posting here. Make no mistake I'm not comparing you as a person to him but your posting style really isn't all that different.

I've honestly just had enough of your shit day after day, even though I'm sure at this point you're just playing up your character but it's getting old.

Markstrom flight gets delayed going back to San Antonio, so what does he do? He rents a car and make 4 friends and drives there. Amazing lol.

Also Cats recall Timmins from San Antonio. I think Tallon is going test out more call ups and we'll lose most of the vets at the deadline.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
As much salt as there is in here, I hope everyone lives to see their team win the Cup. There is absolutely nothing like it in pro sports. I was 10 years old when I witnessed this:

kgrhqzhjesfdzl1uj2jbqe9c0y.jpg

And it was one of the defining moments of my childhood. Everyone should get to experience that. Hell, its been 20 years, and the older I get/the further from the 1993 Cup we get, I gain more and more appreciation for just how hard it is to win it, and I know I will absolutely cherish it if the Habs can do it again.

Yeah, something I will never forget as well. I was 13 then. The Halak playoff run felt pretty good too.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
2001-2002 was the last great playoff run I distinctly remember. The brutal series against the islanders and sens were amazing. Such a shame they lost out to carolina so easily.

I was 19 then and it was the only time I was able to actually do the driving down Yonge street to celebrate. :(

Solo

2001-2002 was the last great playoff run I distinctly remember. The brutal series against the islanders and sens were amazing. Such a shame they lost out to carolina so easily.

I was 19 then and it was the only time I was able to actually do the driving down Yonge street to celebrate. :(

Carolina spanked Montreal that year in the playoffs too :/

When the Leafs do win the cup, providing I'm not infirm by that point, I'm hopping straight into my car and driving to Yonge street. I don't care where I'm living at the time.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
When the Leafs do win the cup, providing I'm not infirm by that point, I'm hopping straight into my car and driving to Yonge street. I don't care where I'm living at the time.

I'm running to Yonge and getting cakebossed.

I also may vanish for a week as I go on a bender.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Nash is on the ice this morning. Would be nice to get him and Powe back at the same time.

Hate to say it so early in the season, but we're pretty much in "must win" mode right now. This is the start of a 4 game homestand, the final real homestand we have on the season. We only have two more instances of more than one game at home in a row for the entire rest of the season. Otherwise it's all road trips broken up by a stray home game here and there. Getting on a roll at home over the next week would turn things right around, and given that the games are against Winnipeg, Tampa Bay, Buffalo, and Philly (followed by a "road" game against the Islanders), the opportunity is definitely there.

Time to get things done.

Top Bottom