• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL February 2013 |OT| A Black History Month "Miracle in the Making"

Tabris

Sportsnet heavily panders to Maple Leafs fans I find. I always trust TSN as the best source:

http://www.tsn.ca/fantasy_news/rankings/nhl/

Know what I would have wanted to see with this realignment? First round byes. Make the regular season count a bit more. A format like:

1 - Bye
2 - Bye
3 vs 6
4 vs 5

You would have to get rid of 2 playoff positions per conference (or add 2 more)

Sportsnet heavily panders to Maple Leafs fans I find. I always trust TSN as the best source:

http://www.tsn.ca/fantasy_news/rankings/nhl/

Know what I would have wanted to see with this realignment? First round byes. Make the regular season count a bit more. A format like:

1 - Bye
2 - Bye
3 vs 6
4 vs 5

You would have to get rid of 2 playoff positions per conference (or add 2 more)

Leafs pandering? Look at what Sportsnet did for the Sens!

And TSN's rankings are outdated compare to SN

Tabris

Option of automatically advancing to second round vs having a stagnant team?

I just really think they need to think of a couple things to put more importance back into the regular season.

I like the 5 home game option too.

Quick

Banned
jUAkiaj3QJUnD.jpg

No team in that Central division is on the central time zone, all EST.

It's all geographic labels in context to the NHL teams, rather than timezone now. It'll be weird saying "Leafs/Sens/Habs/Sabres are in the Central", though.

Curufinwe

Pittsburgh and Columbus should be in the Central, with the Florida teams in the Atlantic. But the NHL assumes the Pitt/Philly rivalry will be hot forever.

nhl-realignment_medium.png

So 57% of the West makes the playoffs, but only 50% of Eastern teams do. And then those Western teams get to feast on expansion clubs in a few years time.

ZeroGravity

I don't really see a reason to reward the top seeds any further than giving them the best possible match-up against the lower seeds, and home ice advantage including Game 7. If you're a truly top team, as your record suggests, you'll find a way to win in the playoffs. If you're the kind of team who beats up all year on weaker teams and then chokes in the playoffs against better competition, you don't deserve to have the opportunity to be rewarded further.

Pittsburgh and Columbus should be in the Central, with the Florida teams in the Atlantic. But the NHL assumes the Pitt/Philly rivalry will be hot forever.

So 57% of the West makes the playoffs, but only 50% of Eastern teams do. And then those Western teams get to feast on expansion clubs in a few years time.

If another team goes into the east they'll move Columbus or Detroit back to the west. In theory anyways, I don't think this means there's no new team coming to the East.

Marvie_3

Banned

There is a far better chance of both expansion teams being in the east than there is of them being in the west. If Phoenix moves to Seattle, QC and Toronto(both in the east) are getting the expansion teams.

I don't see the big deal about keeping PIT/PHI in the same division anyway. They don't play in the same division in any other sport and aren't even in the same conference in the NFL.

Quick

Banned
Is anybody in favour of giving the All-Star Game more weight by copying the MLB and reward the winning conference hometown advantage in the Cup finals?

I find myself going back and forth on this, and I do think it at least gives the ASG the prominence the league's always been looking for, but then there's the risk of injury to players who really look to take that advantage for the home conference.

Also a big congratulatory "ha ha fuck you" to Jay Bouwmeester for his 735th career season game without a playoff appearance. He holds the record in that department. Who knows maybe if his didn't give up when we were so close to the playoffs he wouldn't break that record.

Curufinwe

There is a far better chance of both expansion teams being in the east than there is of them being in the west. If Phoenix moves to Seattle, QC and Toronto(both in the east) are getting the expansion teams.

So Phoenix goes to Seattle, Colorado joins the Pacific, Columbus and Detroit move to the Midwest, and the QC and Toronto expansion clubs go into the Central?

Marvie_3

Banned
So Phoenix goes to Seattle, Colorado joins the Pacific, Columbus and Detroit move to the Midwest, and the QC and Toronto expansion clubs go into the Central?

Sounds about right. I doubt Phoenix goes to Seattle though.

Is anybody in favour of giving the All-Star Game more weight by copying the MLB and reward the winning conference hometown advantage in the Cup finals?

I find myself going back and forth on this, and I do think it at least gives the ASG the prominence the league's always been looking for, but then there's the risk of injury to players who really look to take that advantage for the home conference.
Noooooo. No. No. A meaningless exhibition game should have no impact on a playoff series.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.

I'd be okay with this.

ZeroGravity

Sounds about right. I doubt Phoenix goes to Seattle though.
I guess if they're sold to Quebec, though, wouldn't they be forced to keep them in Phoenix for another year? They kind of set the precedent with Winnipeg that they can't realign them once everything is set, and it's just not feasible to have Quebec playing in the Pacific division.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Montreal, Boston, Toronto, Detroit are naturally in the central division. Thats the centre of the hockey universe right there.

Who else matters?

No.

Marvie_3

Banned
I guess if they're sold to Quebec, though, wouldn't they be forced to keep them in Phoenix for another year? They kind of set the precedent with Winnipeg that they can't realign them once everything is set, and it's just not feasible to have Quebec playing in the Pacific division.
There's no way people in Quebec would buy the team if they had to keep them in Phoenix. Unless they're going to announce the move within the next couple weeks(before realignment is finalized), then they might have any other option but to keep Quebec in the Pacific for the short term.

I also wouldn't be surprised if they had a backup plan in case of a relocation that hasn't been mentioned. There's no way they haven't at least considered it by now.

Quick

Banned
Noooooo. No. No. A meaningless exhibition game should have no impact on a playoff series.

Fair enough. I don't visit MLB-GAF, or any MLB forums, but the general reaction I seem to be noticing is "I'm okay with this" when it comes to the MLB ASG and the implication it has on the World Series.

Like I said, I can imagine the idea of this one-off game be a major deciding factor to be quickly dismissed.

I think Quebec has the advantage right now of the league either still fresh from realignment or comes in before it takes effect, vs. Atlanta to Winnipeg, where everything was still set in stone.

That being said, it would probably suck for either Detroit or Columbus to suddenly move back to the western conference after being in the east so quickly. The realignment would seem shortsighted.

Montreal, Boston, Toronto, Detroit are naturally in the central division. Thats the centre of the hockey universe right there.

Who else matters?

iBgnPbnYNzTvp.gif

GAGNE IS A FLYER BITCHES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WWWWWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

THERE IS A GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EDIT: Yo, clydefrog. Richie for a 2nd?

CCF23

He should change his name to Marvie Jr. The kids can call him Marju.

:lol

Yeahhhhh I noticed that at the time. Doesn't really surprise me. Pretty sure Tabris is a "new" fan, which might explain why history doesn't matter to him, and why, while we all carry around the Cup loss to Boston like it was branded into us with hot steel, he simply stopped caring after a couple weeks.

Holy shit, Tabris got piled on last night.

Not really? It was mostly me trying (in vain) to lay things out as simply as possible.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
At least the Detroit we'll get in the East will be the declining Wings and not the perennial playoff team that they have been.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Semin finally returns to Washington tonight. :( Apparently Loudmouth Troy was talking trash about him the other day. Hopefully Semin doesn't rack up points against us like he did against the Canes.

I really wanted Gagne to work in LA. Guess it can't always happen. Genuinely hope things go better in Philly, maybe he'll be more comfortable.

Also, thanks for the pick Kings-East.

Top Bottom