• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL January 2013 |OT| - "Double-B to Double-M" The Milbury Leafs Era Begins NOW

Socreges

Banned
Schroeder definitely isn't good enough for the 2nd. Kesler being out is a massive loss. Hodgson filled in competently last season, but there's no one else now. Just have to hope they were actually exaggerating the severity of his injuries in order to get paid during the lockout.

And Lack won't be the backup. The organization would rather he spend the season in the AHL, not to mention that he's currently injured (might be healthy now - not sure) and hasn't played well otherwise. They'll have to sign someone or get Reimer as part of the Luongo deal (unlikely).

RC

Banned
Schroeder definitely isn't good enough for the 2nd. Kesler being out is a massive loss. Hodgson filled in competently last season, but there's no one else now. Just have to hope they were actually exaggerating the severity of his injuries in order to get paid during the lockout.

And Lack won't be the backup. The organization would rather he spend the season in the AHL, not to mention that he's currently injured (might be healthy now - not sure) and hasn't played well otherwise. They'll have to sign someone or get Reimer as part of the Luongo deal (unlikely).

So Turco it is then.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
So Turco it is then.
1810175_o.gif

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Out of Leafs-GAF I think I've met Spl1nter, Kuro and Brinbe (might be one more but I'm drawing a blank right now)

I've known BigJonsson since high school but he hasn't been to a meetup yet.

All splendid people, except Kuro he's a douchebag who also wants me dead.
Lol
your time is coming... >=[

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Ugh, I don't play on rookie, but apparently that is still the joke between you and Marvie these days that hasn't seemed to die off yet.

And the last man from the 98 Stanley Cup team is no more. :(

Thanks for the years Homer, you have been good to us.

Now one old man down, 20 more to go.

Agreed. He was an integral part of those championship teams. Great Red Wing.

That said, he should have retired at least a year ago.

Solo

Really curious to see what Montreal does with Gally next season. Kind of between a rock and a hard place....he'll still be too young for the AHL (which would be the ideal place to put him for 2013-2014), probably has nothing to gain by staying in the CHL for another year, but also might not be NHL ready.

I guess of the two options, I'd prefer he plays in Montreal and gets sheltered ala Seguin in his rookie year in Boston. Third line minutes with Eller.

As for this year, he's been confirmed as being invited to camp next week, so he'll get that in and perhaps a 9 game tryout.

After 113 days, this is what 'TSN.ca Staff' posted under the headline "NHL ON TSN IDENTIFIES SIX URGENT MATTERS FACING TEAMS":

• Trading Roberto Luongo
  • Signing Restricted Free Agents
  • Canvassing the Trade Market
  • Filling Out Rosters (Unrestricted Free Agents)
  • Evaluating Top Prospects
  • Making Waiver Decisions

Trading Luongo, priority for ALL 30 teams.

Luongo to Flyers confirmed.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Really curious to see what Montreal does with Gally next season. Kind of between a rock and a hard place....he'll still be too young for the AHL (which would be the ideal place to put him for 2013-2014), probably has nothing to gain by staying in the CHL for another year, but also might not be NHL ready.

I guess of the two options, I'd prefer he plays in Montreal and gets sheltered ala Seguin in his rookie year in Boston. Third line minutes with Eller.

As for this year, he's been confirmed as being invited to camp next week, so he'll get that in and perhaps a 9 game tryout.

Yeah 9 game seems expected, he may have an edge over a lot of the vets having actually played competitive hockey the last few weeks.

Same thing we have going on in Toronto with Morgan Rielly. If Gardiner is still injured by the time the season starts I could see Rielly sticking around for a bit as somewhat of a fill in until Gardiner is ready to come back.

Solo

Neither Montreal nor Toronto should give either guy anything more than the 9 game tryout this year. Burning a year off the ELC for 2 non-NHL ready (at the moment) guys would be terribly dumb.

Red_Man

There's going to be an issue depending on what happens with Subban seeing as the cap will be pretty tight if they're both up, I'm pretty sure we would have to dump someone to make room for both of them, depending on what Subban settles for. The only way I see Gally staying up past 9 games is if he clearly shows he can keep up and improve the team on the 2nd line, otherwise they send him back to Sarnia.

Solo

I'm presuming his 9 games would come at the start of the season (then sent back to Sarnia for playoffs, if they haven't already happened by then), but I could be wrong.

Red_Man

He'll have a great chance to impress and make it imo, seeing as he's been playing non stop since September, and dominating at that.

Solo

I'll be curious to see how he fares. He was tearing it up in Sarnia, but the WJC wasn't his best showing. Sure, he had crap linemates, wasn't used in his normal role, and still managed to put up 8 points, but I felt certain things were exposed to some degree. Like, he really needs to get more explosive with his skating. He looked slow on the international ice, and his shot accuracy was poor. Now in NHL camp, he'll get smaller ice, but MUCH bigger and stronger competition than he's ever faced. It's not going to be easy for him, and lets not even talk about the presssure that will be placed on him.

CrankyJay

Banned
http://www.sbnation.com/2013/1/6/3843108/why-free-center-ice-simply-cant-happen

Welcome back, hockey! Or at least, welcome back in 10-13 days from now. A reminder that Puck the Media is your home for all the NHL TV news you can stand to read, and the next couple weeks will be busy.

Before that, however, a few words about the NHL's Center Ice package, which many people have been demanding the league offer up for free for the 48-game or 50-game per team season. Fans are obviously angry about this lockout, which has cost us nearly half of the typical 82-game season. They see free Center Ice as a logical give back from the league to the people who suffered the most, the workers in the arenas who got paid by the game and those who owned businesses around the rinks fans.

A nice thought, but it's not possible, you guys. The NHL doesn't have full ownership of the package. A company called inDEMAND -- which runs similar packages for the NBA, MLB and MLS -- does. They would need the approval of literally every cable and satellite company that runs the package -- everyone from DIRECTV to Comcast -- to make it happen, as inDEMAND and the cable companies all want a piece of those pricey subscriber fees. A discount? Perhaps. A free season of Center Ice? Logistically impossible.

The NHL does, however, have more power over its GameCenter Live application, which could mean a deeply discounted, if not free, season of that. I imagine the league probably doesn't want to make Center Ice a completely useless option for fans with access to a computer (there are many of those, I hear!) so they might not make it free, but a deep discount would make sense.

Hopefully, this ends the discussion of why the league won't just let you have Center Ice for free all 2013 season long. I'm sure those "FREE PREVIEW" weeks and GameCenter Live will be frequent enough to make it almost not a concern. Please don't shoot the messenger, and welcome back, hockey.

I'll take free GameCenter Live please.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Depending on who resigns and goes to free agency after this season I am impressed with how well Burke has positioned us.

We'll have a lot of money and roster space to use on the crop of free agents.

gaming_noob

Depending on who resigns and goes to free agency after this season I am impressed with how well Burke has positioned us.

I'm very curious to see what type of contracts the top free agents will be signing compared to the ones in the last 3 years. Is it safe to assume Getzlaf will not be getting 12 year $110 Million contract next year?

Solo

Meanwhile, Montreal has already got $60M of the $66M 2013-2014 cap tied up in 16 existing contracts, and that's without Subban signed.

I don't envy Bergevin for the task he has ahead of him next summer. Buyouts will recover hopefully $12M of that.

Curufinwe

Briere might be the other Flyer to get bought out. He has a cap hit of $6.5m for 13-14 and 14-15, but is only actually owed another $5 million in salary.

Getting rid of him and Bryzgalov for cheaper replacements should give Philly plenty of room to sign Giroux to an 8 year, $60 million deal.

Solo

Can teams buyout their players ASAP after they're eliminated from the playoffs, or is there a hard date like July 1?

Cake Boss

Banned
The best thing about the lockout ending are the amateur writers on their fan blogs starting stupid rumors that get fans excited for nothing.

Jizz_83f9fb_975518.gif

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Can teams buyout their players ASAP after they're eliminated from the playoffs, or is there a hard date like July 1?

Last CBA

13(c)(i) that they may begin "the later of June 15 or 48 hours after the conclusion of the Stanley Cup Finals and ending at 5 p.m. New York time on June 30."

CrankyJay

Banned
Same. GameCenter with free streaming onto my PC and devices would be fantastic. Apparently this year they are adding a GameCenter app for Xbox 360, I can't wait for that because the video quality on the PS3 one doesn't seem to be great for me.

I seriously doubt they would. I would love the device streaming option, but if I were to pay it would be next season.

They better heavily discount this shit.

Top Bottom