• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL January 2013 |OT| - "Double-B to Double-M" The Milbury Leafs Era Begins NOW

Fei

Grigorenko being invited to Sabres training camp, contrary to initial reports. Hell yeah. That might be my next jersey purchase.

He's good for 60 points and is highly gifable. :D

tumblr_lxjyifJ1C11qgn02go1_250.gif

I love this almost as much as the Carla face into the glass gif. ALMOST.

CCF23

Time for this shit...

Hart: Stamkos
Vezina: Miller
Norris: Chara
Calder: Huberdeau
Selke: Datsyuk
Adams: Kirk Muller

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Hart: Stamkos
Vezina: Miller
Norris: Chara
Adams: Kirk Muller

My picks:

Hart: Datsyuk
Vezina: Datsyuk
Norris: Datsyuk
Calder: Datsyuk
Adams: Datsyuk

Kifimbo

CapGeek ‏@capgeek
Under the new CBA, teams can retain salary/cap hit in a trade. Conditions to follow. #NHL

Teams can retain salary/cap hit for up to three SPCs, to a maximum aggregate cap hit of 15 per cent of upper limit. #NHL

Up to 50% of SPC can be retained in trade. An SPC can be traded twice with salary/cap hit retained. #NHL

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Steve Simmons is in mid-season form already.

He's already saying these players won't want to play for Carlyle and that he will drive them crazy.

calder

So far, my favourite random media piece about the media side of the lockout is from Grantland:
Waiting for Bettman - The strange final days of the NHL lockout
Last Wednesday, as the temperature dipped below 25 degrees in New York, a bunch of Canadians were staring at a door. The door is located at 1185 Sixth Avenue. Behind it are the offices of the National Hockey League. The Canadians wore heavy parkas. They carried notebooks and mics and they shivered and sipped coffee. People stopped and asked what they were doing, staring at a door. The Canadians told them: They were waiting for Bettman.

Gary Bettman is the commissioner of the NHL. (A lot of people on Sixth Avenue didn't seem to know this.) NHL players had been locked out for 100 days, the third work stoppage of Bettman's tenure, and now the whole season was in jeopardy. (Some passersby looked skeptical and asked, "Is Obama in there?") For NHL reporters — and me, an uninvited embed — the lockout had entered its surreal final days.

"It's absurd," said Darren Dreger, a reporter for the Canadian station TSN. "We're standing on a street corner in Manhattan, in sub-zero conditions, waiting for a kernel of information."

"It is soul-sucking," said Pierre LeBrun, Dreger's TSN colleague and an ESPN contributor. "It really is soul-sucking."

Alucard

Banned
Cup favourites list, which means nothing:

Pittsburgh Penguins 8/1
New York Rangers 17/2
Vancouver Canucks 9/1
Los Angeles Kings 12/1
Philadelphia Flyers 12/1
Chicago Blackhawks 14/1
Boston Bruins 16/1
Detroit Red Wings 16/1
St. Louis Blues 16/1
Minnesota Wild 18/1
San Jose Sharks 20/1
Carolina Hurricanes 22/1
Washington Capitals 22/1
Buffalo Sabres 25/1
Edmonton Oilers 25/1
Nashville Predators 28/1
Tampa Bay Lightning 28/1
Montreal Canadiens 30/1
New Jersey Devils 30/1
Toronto Maple Leafs 30/1
Anaheim Ducks 40/1
Colorado Avalanche 40/1
Dallas Stars 40/1
Florida Panthers 40/1
Ottawa Senators 40/1
Phoenix Coyotes 40/1
Calgary Flames 50/1
Winnipeg Jets 50/1
New York Islanders 66/1
Columbus Blue Jackets 100/1

Solo

Cup favourites list, which means nothing:

Pittsburgh Penguins 8/1
New York Rangers 17/2
Vancouver Canucks 9/1
Los Angeles Kings 12/1
Philadelphia Flyers 12/1
Chicago Blackhawks 14/1
Boston Bruins 16/1
Detroit Red Wings 16/1
St. Louis Blues 16/1
Minnesota Wild 18/1
San Jose Sharks 20/1
Carolina Hurricanes 22/1
Washington Capitals 22/1
Buffalo Sabres 25/1
Edmonton Oilers 25/1
Nashville Predators 28/1
Tampa Bay Lightning 28/1
Montreal Canadiens 30/1
New Jersey Devils 30/1
Toronto Maple Leafs 30/1
Anaheim Ducks 40/1
Colorado Avalanche 40/1
Dallas Stars 40/1
Florida Panthers 40/1
Ottawa Senators 40/1
Phoenix Coyotes 40/1
Calgary Flames 50/1
Winnipeg Jets 50/1
New York Islanders 66/1
Columbus Blue Jackets 100/1

Might need to put $333 down on the Habs. Dat ten grand.

Quick

Banned
Steve Simmons is in mid-season form already.

He's already saying these players won't want to play for Carlyle and that he will drive them crazy.

Carlyle hates Kessel.

Lupul hates Carlyle.

Carlyle doesn't like Phaneuf as captain.

Carlyle doesn't like people.

can we be locked out again? i only seem to hear his nonsense during the season

Better yet, let's just lock Steve Simmons in a lead-lined room, no outside communication of any kind.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Carlyle hates Kessel.

Lupul hates Carlyle.

Carlyle doesn't like Phaneuf as captain.

Carlyle doesn't like people.

Better yet, let's just lock Steve Simmons in a lead-lined room, no outside communication of any kind.

I think that one was my favourite. Literally 10 minutes after Carlyle was named head coach the media already started with "Kessel and Carlyle won't get along"

Solo

What horseshit. Of course Kessel and Carlyle will get along. Carlyle looks like a potatoe and Kessel loves potatoes.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
What horseshit. Of course Kessel and Carlyle will get along. Carlyle looks like a potatoe and Kessel loves potatoes.

Typical Habs fan with bullshit spewing forth from your mouth.

Kessel doesn't eat vegetables. He says it's just unneeded filler.

If the cap space trading works as I think I will love one aspect about it, just when Leafs and Habs have started to acquire some youth talent they will trade it for capspace and sign sthe old chaps that are being bought out!

Otherwise it sucks, and if they insist on having it, 15 percent is way way too much.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
If the cap space trading works as I think I will love one aspect about it, just when Leafs and Habs have started to acquire some youth talent they will trade it for capspace and sign sthe old chaps that are being bought out!

Otherwise it sucks, and if they insist on having it, 15 percent is way way too much.

Not really.

It's mainly helpful for short term contracts

The amount of trade deadlines deals which will occur with players on the last year of their deal will be pretty nutty

For long term (3 years or more) its not really worth it as it ties their own cap down...

Fei

It doesn't look like you can trade for capspace, explicitly. Let's say a team is has spent to the cap on opening day and wanted to add Eric Staal ($8M). The team getting Staal would be taking a minimum of $4M in cap hit. That means they would have to get rid of players accounting for a $4M cap hit.

At the very least, it's better than a system where you can trade capspace for players.

Quick

Banned
I think that one was my favourite. Literally 10 minutes after Carlyle was named head coach the media already started with "Kessel and Carlyle won't get along"

Yeah, that was pretty funny.

Then there's everyone over-analyzing Kessel's shifts in Carlyle's first game.

PHIL AIN'T GOT D
...which is a fair point.

Stars getting new uniforms next season and logo. Apparently deadline to submit is end of January (they just got an extension from the league to submit)

Can't wait.. Hope it is awesome.

Slurmer

Banned
Hart: Giroux
Vezina: Lundqvist
Norris: whoever scores the most points
Adams: bruce boudreau

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
BACyCwhCIAArH9t.png

DEM HEADLINES!!

Is this Leafs.com or a national sports website?

actually it's a regional website (in top left of webpage is a region switcher)

and you're in the ontario portion where there's millions of leafs fans and a handful of senators fans

Top Bottom