• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL January 2013 |OT| - "Double-B to Double-M" The Milbury Leafs Era Begins NOW

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
apparently they fixed the waiver wire

now it'll always be noon the next day regardless if waived on a weekend

Socreges

Banned
So which teams would you guys write off at this point? 5 teams that think have the least chance of making the playoffs.

COLUMBUS
MONTREAL
EDMONTON
WINNIPEG (depends on the fitness of their D)
NY ISLANDERS

Tampa will be interesting to watch. Lindback is their starter now? Or splitting games with Garon 50/50? And with Salo/Ohlund on their backline, I'll have to cheer for them.

Nashville probably has enough grit and defensive players to make it into the playoffs again, but I definitely wonder how Weber will do without Suter.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
So which teams would you guys write off at this point? 5 teams that think have the least chance of making the playoffs.

COLUMBUS
MONTREAL
EDMONTON
WINNIPEG (depends on the fitness of their D)
NY ISLANDERS

Tampa will be interesting to watch. Lindback is their starter now? Or splitting games with Garon 50/50? And with Salo/Ohlund on their backline, I'll have to cheer for them.

Nashville probably has enough grit and defensive players to make it into the playoffs again, but I definitely wonder how Weber will do without Suter.

I want to say Detroit,I have no idea how they want to make the playoffs with that D...but then it's Detroit, so they probably will.also, leafs, depending on whether or not they get Luongo.

Cake Boss

Banned
Montreal isn't as bad as their record suggests, they will be a playoff bubble team.

Locks to miss:

Islanders
Colombus
Leafs
Calgary

Solo

With the shrinking cap, is Subban more likely to be offer sheeted now?

I wouldn't be surprised to see a team try it. Montreal is closer to the cap next season than anyone, so a decent sized offer sheet might just get Subban out of Montreal.

Solo

Seriously though Soc, I won't be shocked if the Habs aren't a playoff team, but I also won't be shocked if they are. They've made the playoff numerous times the past decade with far-from-stellar roster, and like CB, they aren't as bad as their W/L record from last season. Shit, they went like 1-17 out of the gate. There is no coming back from that. They can't start a season like that again, especially a fucking short one.

If Carey Price is the Carey Price of 2010-2011 and not the Carey Price of 2011-2012, I can see Montreal squeaking in on him alone.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I wouldn't be surprised to see a team try it. Montreal is closer to the cap next season than anyone, so a decent sized offer sheet might just get Subban out of Montreal.

That was pretty much my thought. Not sure who would, but if it was Detroit it would be glorious. They don't need their early draft picks anyway. (Not sure if they have the space though :x)

Solo

That was pretty much my thought. Not sure who would, but if it was Detroit it would be glorious. They don't need their early draft picks anyway. (Not sure if they have the space though :x)

Any other season and I'd say Philly would do it (after their failed Weber coup), but I do believe they are right behind Montreal in terms of being fucked cap-wise next season.

Socreges

Banned
Seriously though Soc, I won't be shocked if the Habs aren't a playoff team, but I also won't be shocked if they are. They've made the playoff numerous times the past decade with far-from-stellar roster, and like CB, they aren't as bad as their W/L record from last season. Shit, they went like 1-17 out of the gate. There is no coming back from that. They can't start a season like that again, especially a fucking short one.

If Carey Price is the Carey Price of 2010-2011 and not the Carey Price of 2011-2012, I can see Montreal squeaking in on him alone.
Also depends on Markov. There's no way he plays more than 25 games. Book it.

Habs could make the playoffs. But if I had to pick five, they're on that list. Got a lot to prove after last season.

Solo

Also depends on Markov. There's no way he plays more than 25 games. Book it.

Habs could make the playoffs. But if I had to pick five, they're on that list. Got a lot to prove after last season.

My biggest question marks are:

- how is Markov's health?
- how is Gionta's health?
- which Carey Price are we gonna see?
- who the fuck can be put with Plekanec to get some secondary scoring going? 2nd line centre who got stuck with 4th line scab linemates. We 120% WON'T make the playoffs again if only the Cole-DD-Patches line can score.
- will the patchwork D hold up?

The Ducks game can be pushed to Sunday senior matinee.

But wouldn't that make Ducks games appealing to you? All those grannies huddled around a cold surface, waiting for some awkward French dude to come up and offer them his coat then invite them back to his place to watch a "lil classic Sean Connery" (he says as he unzips). Seems like it's up your alley.

Cake Boss

Banned
Any other season and I'd say Philly would do it (after their failed Weber coup), but I do believe they are right behind Montreal in terms of being fucked cap-wise next season.

No other GM has bigger balls than Holmgren, so I could see him send an offer sheet, especially now that Meszaros is injured, would be more amazing if he sends one for Del Zotto, he has no problem taking player from division rivals so yeah.

I would like OTT to do it seeing we have the 3rd most cap space and in need of dman.
Pair Sub ban up with EK and you got no defense, one guy is out of position trying to make a hit and one guy is behind the other team's net, would be an amazing pairing, but this organization has no balls so I don't see it.

NHL.com hasn't missed a beat.

nZJ2F.png

uAfJl.png

zychi

Banned
re-introducing myself to this thread. one of my most read threads, but never really have much to say. i'll be in an out depending on how well my Hawks do all year.

Sportsnet really seems to want to keep Subban as an analyst.....they should get him on the payroll (Leafs!)

They did sneak in the Leafs clause right? No salary cap for the Leafs!

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie

NHL player now back from RUS says KHL teams putting major pressure and huge money on table to keep NHLers from returning to North America.

And by major pressure he means holding guns to their heads

Fei

Brian Lawton ‏@brianlawton9
Looks like minimum salary will be up to $650,000 by the start of the 2017/18 season.....finishes at $750,000 in last year of agreement.

Goddamn. That's a big win for the grinders/short term players.

zychi

Banned
Oh cool. because all our team needs is more fair-weathered fans.

I'll have you know I jumped on the bandwagon in 2007 when they returned to tv. I was way earlier than all the fair-weather fans.

Never was into hockey until one of my best friends made me watch the NHL playoffs. Amazing. Not having the Hawks on tv and being mostly a football guy all of my left me with no reason to sought out the Hawks besides going to a random game every season. I'm glad I jumped in. I still believe in Crawford, even if most of Chicago doesnt.

E: McD coming over from my Cubs helped a bunch too.

Revenant

My biggest question marks are:

- how is Markov's health?
- how is Gionta's health?
- which Carey Price are we gonna see?
- who the fuck can be put with Plekanec to get some secondary scoring going? 2nd line centre who got stuck with 4th line scab linemates. We 120% WON'T make the playoffs again if only the Cole-DD-Patches line can score.
- will the patchwork D hold up?

Kane or Hossa, when the Habs trade him here at the deadline as the canadiens asses are pounded night in and night out.

Revenant

re-introducing myself to this thread. one of my most read threads, but never really have much to say. i'll be in an out depending on how well my Hawks do all year.

welcome, just remember that socreges guy is a dicklick and you're halfway to learning the ways of HawksGAF

Oh cool. because all our team needs is more fair-weathered fans.

NHLGAFWEJUDGEYOU.jpg

I'd take either, contract/attitudes be damned! I feel like Pleky will likely be traded this season or next anyway.

oh i meant they'd play with him in Chicago, but can I interest you in some Brain Scrambled Steve Montador or some overpaid Michael Frolik?

Cup favourites list, which means nothing:

Pittsburgh Penguins 8/1
New York Rangers 17/2
Vancouver Canucks 9/1
Los Angeles Kings 12/1
Philadelphia Flyers 12/1
Chicago Blackhawks 14/1
Boston Bruins 16/1
Detroit Red Wings 16/1
St. Louis Blues 16/1
Minnesota Wild 18/1
San Jose Sharks 20/1
Carolina Hurricanes 22/1
Washington Capitals 22/1
Buffalo Sabres 25/1
Edmonton Oilers 25/1
Nashville Predators 28/1
Tampa Bay Lightning 28/1
Montreal Canadiens 30/1
New Jersey Devils 30/1
Toronto Maple Leafs 30/1
Anaheim Ducks 40/1
Colorado Avalanche 40/1
Dallas Stars 40/1
Florida Panthers 40/1
Ottawa Senators 40/1
Phoenix Coyotes 40/1
Calgary Flames 50/1
Winnipeg Jets 50/1
New York Islanders 66/1
Columbus Blue Jackets 100/1

22 was my grandmother's favorite number, so Canes
or Caps
win the Cup biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitches!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom