• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL January 2013 |OT| - "Double-B to Double-M" The Milbury Leafs Era Begins NOW

Depends on how the mou is worded. If its worded like a contract, it can be legally binding. (If both entities didn't put any declarations stating otherwise)

Well maybe you're right, everything I am reading states it's not legally binding. The NHL has transfer agreement with other leagues, those are binding.

Eric Macramalla ‏@EricOnSportsLaw
Even though there's agreement btw NHL and KHL on player movement form a legal standpoint little can be done to compel Kovalchuk to come back

NHL can apply pressure on KHL/IIHF; could sue for breach of contract but KHL team owner will cover; also ask court to force someone to play

on Kovalchuk: if Devils reasonably believe he will not return they can void his contract and sue for breach; but cant force him to play

Agreed - IIHF can exclude #Kovalchuk from Olympics; pressure points; but cannot legally compel him to return to Jersey and fulfill contract

Agreed - IIHF can exclude #Kovalchuk from Olympics; pressure points; but cannot legally compel him to return to Jersey and fulfill contract

Oh and Ottawa sucks

I expect no less :)

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Bright side for New Jersey is.... Well... They'd have an easy time covering their debt

Down side is... This bullshit will only hurt New Jersey market... As much as I don't like NJ... He's their star fucking player. He signed a contract. Oh you're butt hurt that parise left? Too bad! Bitter the team that wanted you beat your ass for the cup? You signed your damned 17 year contract!

Thank fuck the leafs didn't grab him, Burke was right on the money.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Might as well do my predictions:

East:

1. Pittsburgh
2. New York Rangers
3. Boston
4. Philadelphia
5. Buffalo
6. Washington
7. Toronto
8. Montreal
9. Ottawa
10. Carolina
11. Florida
12. Tampa Bay
13. Winnipeg
14. New York Islanders
15. New Jersey

West:

1. Los Angeles
2. Vancouver
3. San Jose
4. Minnesota
5. St. Louis
6. Chicago
7. Detroit
8. Phoenix
9. Nashville
10. Calgary
11. Dallas Stars
12. Anaheim
13. Edmonton
14. Colorado
15. Columbus

Los Angeles vs. Pittsburgh final - Pens win.

Yes, both Toronto and Montreal.

<3 solo. But I know better. :(

hfboards said:
Sens at Jets confirmed as a 1:30pm Central start (2:30pm Eastern) on the 19th by the Free Press, who also confirmed this would be the first game of the season in Canada. Would have to believe Leafs Habs and Battle of Alberta would be slotted for the two regular HNIC slots.

6:00 PM News says Pittsburgh at Philadelphia on 1/19.

Flames@Oilers confirmed for jan 19th.

Apparently, Minnesota will play Colorado on opening night in Minnesota.

Source: http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/186085411.html

Nothing else beyond this that I see. According to Daly, it'll be at least the weekend before a full schedule is released.

Bright side for New Jersey is.... Well... They'd have an easy time covering their debt

Down side is... This bullshit will only hurt New Jersey market... As much as I don't like NJ... He's their star fucking player. He signed a contract. Oh you're butt hurt that parise left? Too bad! Bitter the team that wanted you beat your ass for the cup? You signed your damned 17 year contract!

I doubt he will stay, Ovie came back and he made all sorts of threats during the lockout that he'll stay. I'm sure the KHL is making all sorts of promises and he's hesitating a bit.

The IIHF can ban him from Sochi if it comes to that, I doubt he wants that.

Curufinwe

His contract is such a fucking mess, all the way until 2025.

The owners really needed the lockout and this new CBA to save them from themselves.

People breach contracts all the time. He signed a contract. He'll make more money breaching and paying whatever bullshit damages NJ can show from him breaching and them not having to pay him. It's how the world works, when it makes financial sense to breach you do it.

MPW

Might as well do my predictions:

East:

1. Pittsburgh
2. New York Rangers
3. Boston
4. Philadelphia
5. Buffalo
6. Washington
7. Toronto
8. Montreal

9. Ottawa
10. Carolina
11. Florida
12. Tampa Bay
13. Winnipeg
14. New York Islanders
15. New Jersey

West:

1. Los Angeles
2. Vancouver
3. San Jose
4. Minnesota
5. St. Louis
6. Chicago
7. Detroit
8. Phoenix
9. Nashville
10. Calgary
11. Dallas Stars
12. Anaheim
13. Edmonton
14. Colorado
15. Columbus

Los Angeles vs. Pittsburgh final - Pens win.

Yes, both Toronto and Montreal.

ronaldo-laugh-2-cristiano-ronaldo-19817037-200-178.gif

both will miss playoffs

pringles

Anybody watching That's Hockey 2Nite? They just did a rapidfire segment, and I understood nothing from them shouting out answers.

Their consensus answer on which team will drop the most? Red Wings. Sorry, Crazed.
Predictions of Detroit's demise is one of the biggest signs a new season is about to begin.

People get hung up on the loss of Lidstrom. No one mentions that our forward group is better or that we actually have a backup goalie now.
Also I'm not sure if there's any other team that, atleast in theory, stands to gain as much from a shortened season with less travel.

Marvie_3

Banned
Predictions of Detroit's demise is one of the biggest signs a new season is about to begin.

People get hung up on the loss of Lidstrom. No one mentions that our forward group is better or that we actually have a backup goalie now.
Also I'm not sure if there's any other team that, atleast in theory, stands to gain as much from a shortened season with less travel.

Good thing you found a backup goalie. You're gonna need it with that defense.

Curufinwe

Detroit still has lots of travel, though.

pringles

Good thing you found a backup goalie. You're gonna need it with that defense.
We'll see. Defense imo has a lot to do with team effort and coaching, and we still have Babcock and a couple of Selke level forwards.
Also getting rid of Stuart should help ease the loss of Lidstrom.
Gustavsson sure didn't help our bad defense
Coming from Conklin there is no way to see Gus as anything but an improvement.

Mii

Banned
You don't "trip balls" on coke since Cocaine is not a hallucinogen
itm-eng101.gif

You've started posting again
emot-bravo.gif

I thought you were going to make like the Shorks in the playoffs and disappear forever.

I will be far more active in this thread this year than the last two. I think I'll have more free time now.

Or rather, I would be if the Sharks wouldn't choke on schedule in late April/early May.

Go Bs?

Socreges

Banned

inDwh.gif

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
If it's rivalry weekend and we can't play anyone on the East or Alberta... There's really only Chicago left for us to play, is there?

pringles

Yeah, because replacing a shitty player with a slightly less shitty player totally makes up for the loss of one of the best defensemen ever.
That was a joke. Nothing makes up for losing the best defenseman ever, but I really am glad to be rid of Stuart.

RC

Banned
Your avatar's freaking me out Quick. It's like Kessel can see into my soul, and its full of donuts.

LOL

The Sens had an informal skate today but only had one goalie....

So they asked a 63 year old to skate with them after he played in net for a rec game

Quick

Banned
Your avatar's freaking me out Quick. It's like Kessel can see into my soul, and its full of donuts.

Tom Selleck's giving me a boner. I'd say we're even.

I actually made a couple more for future use: Lupul and Phaneuf. Phaneuf really stares at you.

Your soul is full of donuts?

Cookie-filled donuts.

So they asked a 63 year old to skate with them after he played in net for a rec game

The Leafs are reportedly interested.
- Dan O'Toole.

Top Bottom