• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL January 2013 |OT| - "Double-B to Double-M" The Milbury Leafs Era Begins NOW

CCF23

The CBA will be ratified and take effect Saturday, most likely. So Saturday night trades and signings can start unless there's a hiccup.

CCF23

Also, Leaf fans: as someone who's seen the Burke/Nonis 1/2 combo I can tell you what you're getting...You're getting a painfully average GM. If he holds to form you'll be trading a ton of 2nd/3rd round picks for old, shitty rentals at the trade deadline.

Marvie_3

Banned
Seattle's getting an NBA team again which means they'll have a new arena which means they have an excellent chance for an NHL team in the near future.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
These last few pages have been fun to read.

If this means a reasonable return for luongo, I will laugh so much more than I already am. I was fully expecting something crappy like Bozak&2nd.

TEAM NEW HOPE.

EDIT: I'd be happy with Kadri, for starters.

RC

Banned
Also, Leaf fans: as someone who's seen the Burke/Nonis 1/2 combo I can tell you what you're getting...You're getting a painfully average GM. If he holds to form you'll be trading a ton of 2nd/3rd round picks for old, shitty rentals at the trade deadline.

Nonuts had a plan, goddamnit.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened

But but but

No is did the phaneuf trade!

Seattle's getting an NBA team again which means they'll have a new arena which means they have an excellent chance for an NHL team in the near future.

And now you realize why they were doing 4 divisions... And making the playoffs have 20 teams

CCF23

LOL canuck fans think they're going to get Gardsy again

I think it went from "not happening" to "unlikely". You have to at least think part of this move was with ownership pushing for the Luongo deal.

Nonis also loves him some Luongo.

Still, though, I don't think Gardiner will be involved. I think the deal will be better for the Canucks with Nonis at the helm instead of Burke, but I'll still be surprised if it's Gardiner.

But but but

No is did the phaneuf trade!

...and he did the Luongo trade...Which is why I say he's average. He's capable of making good deals. He's not a bad GM, but he's not a good GM either.

Damien Cox is leading the Burke Defense Force on twitter. Apparently Burke was fired for making brash promises, and not this:

2008–09 82 34 35 13 81 5th, Northeast Did not qualify
2009–10 82 30 38 14 74 5th, Northeast Did not qualify
2010–11 82 37 34 11 85 4th, Northeast Did not qualify
2011–12 82 35 37 10 80 4th, Northeast Did not qualify

DopeyFish

I think it went from "not happening" to "unlikely". You have to at least think part of this move was with ownership pushing for the Luongo deal.

Nonis also loves him some Luongo.

Still, though, I don't think Gardiner will be involved. I think the deal will be better for the Canucks with Nonis at the helm instead of Burke, but I'll still be surprised if it's Gardiner.

...and he did the Luongo trade...Which is why I say he's average. He's capable of making good deals. He's not a bad GM, but he's not a good GM either.

I think it will mean he will be willing to trade players like lupul, phaneuf, macarthur or JVR for luongo

Burke shies away from trading guys he likes... Which isn't a good trait

Damien Cox is leading the Burke Defense Force on twitter. Apparently Burke was fired for making brash promises, and not this:

I don't fault Burke for the record

At least for the first 3 years... JFJ royally fucked our team. Wilson should have been gone before last season and that was his fault

CCF23

I think it will mean he will be willing to trade players like lupul, phaneuf, macarthur or JVR for luongo

Burke shies away from trading guys he likes... Which isn't a good trait

Lupul and JVR would be nice fits, but Gillis could've had JVR by dealing Luongo for Schenn when offered and then Schenn for JVR.

DopeyFish

Lupul and JVR would be nice fits, but Gillis could've had JVR by dealing Luongo for Schenn when offered and then Schenn for JVR.

It doesn't always work out like that though. Burke was hesitant to even trade schenn

There's no way we're getting Gardiner, even with Burke out now.

Seriously. Gardiner is about as untouchable as it gets. Rielly being traded is more likely than gardiner. Leafs would probably part with Kessel before gardiner

DopeyFish

Oh yeah forgot about the MLSE remark about luongo trade

"We never discuss pending transactions," Anselmi said. "First of all, it doesn't help get a deal done. Secondly, we're not permitted to do so."

Pending... Eh?

At least for the first 3 years... JFJ royally fucked our team. Wilson should have been gone before last season and that was his fault

Yep, that's the messaging from the pro-Burke camp: JFJ was so bad that Burke was destined to fail from the start. The problem with that excuse, specifically, is that it completely ignores the awful personnel decisions Burke made (see Socreges' earlier response), and the fact that the team - standings wise, which is what counts - regressed and accumulated fewer points than it did in 2008/09.

We have to remember that the coach isn't responsible for building a team. And while I agree that Wilson was never going to work out in Toronto, I have seen nothing to suggest that Carlyle will.

Marvie_3

Banned
Can you identify a single Canucks fan here that thinks we're getting Gardiner?

Gardiner is a flower in a pile of dirt. He's untouchable. But we'll have some fun for now.

ibgcfBmE8n4eiu.gif

DopeyFish

Yep, that's the messaging from the pro-Burke camp: JFJ was so bad that Burke was destined to fail from the start. The problem with that excuse, specifically, is that it completely ignores the awful personnel decisions Burke made (see Socreges' earlier response), and the fact that the team - standings wise, which is what counts - regressed and accumulated fewer points than it did in 2008/09.

We have to remember that the coach isn't responsible for building a team. And while I agree that Wilson was never going to work out in Toronto, I have seen nothing to suggest that Carlyle will.

But our prospect stock went from shit to pretty good, eventually that will pay dividends...

People have no patience and will trade our future to have a chance at the cup and then bury us in the ground again.

At least nonis respects the Burke angle and lives by it. You can't sacrifice the farm for one chance.

People have a hard time remembering our team and prospects from JFJ era

Outside of sundin, who did we have? Darcy tucker? Chad kilger? Jason Blake? Ugh antropov? Ponikarovsky? We had a first line, at least.

Our prospects? Outside of Alex steen... Uh.... Well... Jiri trusty? John pohl? (He couldn't even skate ffs)

It was sad... Embarrassing.... Even though I was saying they'd make the playoffs in all those years (and rightfully chastised on GAF for it)... Hindsight is helpful here. Marlies were fucking trash, our leafs were trash.

Alucard

Banned
Wait, I just heard that Burke was fired by the Leafs, and he was replaced by Nonis? WHAAAAAAAAAAT?! Hockey is back, people. Leafs starting another "5 year plan."

Cake Boss

Banned
"@GregThomsonNHL: Don't mistake this as a rumor, but with all the craziness in Toronto don't be surprised if Luongo's a Leaf by this weekend and Kessel is out"

tumblr_lrv6mbb5mp1r2ljlfo1_500.jpg

MILBURY ERA!

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Finally got around to hearing this, there are no words......just

tumblr_m5y5naQJO41qhyhq1o1_500.gif

I love the Leafs so much.

Montresor

My thoughts after listening to a lot of radio (especially Bob Mckenzie):

The timing of the firing was bad, but Burke deserved to be fired. He did a terrible job.

I have no worries anymore about the motivation behind the firing. Mckenzie was musing that the firing was motivated by a mixture of performance and personality. The owners did not like Burke's bombastic attitude. Nothing wrong with that.

So I'm not upset anymore at the thought of meddling ownership forcing a Luongo trade. Nonis will not trade Gardiner or other highly valuable assets for Luongo.

Any other Leaf fans feeling pretty optimistic like I am right now? I know CCF just made a good point about Nonis wasting 2nds and 3rds on the Canucks but I believe he'll be a little more patient, at least a damn sight more patient than Burke (Mr. 2 1sts for Kessel).

Row

Banned
if burke had no prior notice they were planning this and spent the whole lockout preparing for the season instead of finding another job, ouch

"@GregThomsonNHL: Don't mistake this as a rumor, but with all the craziness in Toronto don't be surprised if Luongo's a Leaf by this weekend and Kessel is out"

MILBURY ERA!

Kessel for Lou? The meltdowns would be glorious!

I secretly hope Lou denies the trade, just for trolling purposes.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
The timing of this is almost as bad as trading Cammalleri mid game, halfway through the season. What a gong show.

Kifimbo

The timing of the firing was bad, but Burke deserved to be fired. He did a terrible job.

I have no worries anymore about the motivation behind the firing. Mckenzie was musing that the firing was motivated by a mixture of performance and personality. The owners did not like Burke's bombastic attitude. Nothing wrong with that.

So I'm not upset anymore at the thought of meddling ownership forcing a Luongo trade. Nonis will not trade Gardiner or other highly valuable assets for Luongo.

Performance and personality do not explain the timing. There IS something else.

CCF23

Any other Leaf fans feeling pretty optimistic like I am right now? I know CCF just made a good point about Nonis wasting 2nds and 3rds on the Canucks but I believe he'll be a little more patient, at least a damn sight more patient than Burke (Mr. 2 1sts for Kessel).

Burke isn't a great GM. So incredibly fucking overrated. He was okay in Vancouver and pretty poor in Toronto. In between, in Anaheim, he got handed most of the pieces to win his Stanley Cup.

What? It's a perfectly satisfactory explanation. Why does there always have to be a conspiracy with anything the Leafs do or don't do?

If they were going to fire him, why wait until now? It is very strange timing.

DopeyFish

Burke isn't a great GM. So incredibly fucking overrated. He was okay in Vancouver and pretty poor in Toronto. In between, in Anaheim, he got handed most of the pieces to win his Stanley Cup.

nah

he's great at everything but goalies

it's like his fucking kryptonite

CLOUTIERRRRRRRRRR

Montresor

What? It's a perfectly satisfactory explanation. Why does there always have to be a conspiracy with anything the Leafs do or don't do?

It explains why Burke was fired but he's saying it doesn't explain why they choose to fire him today with such poor timing, so long after the end of last season and so soon before the start of this season.

I personally don't care anymore about the timing, so long as I'm satisfied no one is forcing a Luongo trade.

Montresor

MILBURY ERA!

"Please don't mistake this as a rumour but don't be surprised if [insert sensational and unlikely scenario] occurs."

I doubt there is some huge mystery behind the timing of this. He probably laid out his plan for the season to the board and they decided they didn't like it and had had enough of Burke being Burke and canned him.

Top Bottom