• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL January 2013 |OT| - "Double-B to Double-M" The Milbury Leafs Era Begins NOW

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
OT but I finally got around to yesterdays TDS, and Jon Stewart's segment on gun control is pretty fucking great.

Quick

Banned
This Sportscentre Top 10 best saves between lockouts got me hyped, then you have #1 with Thomas making a great save on Beauchemin when he was a Leaf.

I still remember that.

OT but I finally got around to yesterdays TDS, and Jon Stewart's segment on gun control is pretty fucking great.

That was golden. Embarrassing for the politicians involved, but golden.

HBuvD.jpg

Burkies Dog House removed.

Well.....Burkies Doghouse was still in the in-seat menus......I guess that takes longer to change

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
So glad we signed Samuelsson..

On the plus side our forward depth is awesome.
He called out the lines today as well... prepare for the most goals allowed in a season even though it's only gonna be half a season due to the first line D pairing.

Z/Pavel/Brunner
Franzen/Flip/Samuelsson
Cleary/Helm/Bertuzzi
Miller/Abdelkader/Tootoo
Emmerton/Mursak

Kronwall/Ericsson !?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??????????????????
Quincey/Smith
Kindl/White

Colaiacovo is hurt to start the season, but he'll replace Kindl.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Nonis is an odd choice even if he was chosen to be a yes man. He's quiet and rarely quoted. He isn't in the media doing promos and interviews all the time. In fact, the press conference is the only time I've seen him tall that much, and it still wasn't much as that Robell shill wouldn't shut up.

Wouldn't mind a working GM instead of a talker...but I think we all know it's only a matter of time til they fire him too. I can't even remember if Fletcher was fired or let go; this organization is pretty cutthroat.

pringles

He called out the lines today as well... prepare for the most goals allowed in a season even though it's only gonna be half a season due to the first line D pairing.

Z/Pavel/Brunner
Franzen/Flip/Samuelsson
Cleary/Helm/Bertuzzi
Miller/Abdelkader/Tootoo
Emmerton/Mursak

Kronwall/Ericsson !?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??????????????????
Quincey/Smith
Kindl/White

Colaiacovo is hurt to start the season, but he'll replace Kindl.
Big E was solid last season, and I think this is Babs trying to push him to take another step.. not so crazy to me.

Also I can't fucking wait to see that 1st line in action.

Red_Man

So have they said whether JVR will center that first line? I remember that coming up in the summer, I imagine they'll wait until after camp to decide.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
So have they said whether JVR will center that first line? I remember that coming up in the summer, I imagine they'll wait until after camp to decide.
Very likely won't from the impressions I got. They're going to put him in net with the decisions they're making.

Red_Man

Gotchya, I thought it was kind of weird to hear when it first came up. Wonder if Rielly will get the 5 game tryout, especially with Gardiner out.

Nonis is an odd choice even if he was chosen to be a yes man. He's quiet and rarely quoted. He isn't in the media doing promos and interviews all the time. In fact, the press conference is the only time I've seen him tall that much, and it still wasn't much as that Robell shill wouldn't shut up.

It's likely that Burke and his team were given a year to turn the ship around, but after it became clear that Burke was unwilling to work with the new owners, he was dumped and the reins were given to Nonis. The bottom line, as you say below, is that if the Leafs miss the playoffs again, that whole group is probably gone.

Wouldn't mind a working GM instead of a talker...but I think we all know it's only a matter of time til they fire him too. I can't even remember if Fletcher was fired or let go; this organization is pretty cutthroat.

Fletcher was retained as a special advisor. I think it's just golden-hand cuffs thing: Make sure he doesn't leave and share player/scouting info more than him having any real responsibilities.

Regarding the talking thing, that was always weird, no? Burke it seems was some kind of self-made titular character, applying his approval to trades/drafts that his subordinates cooked up and not much besides that.

I had the feeling at the end of the 2010/11 season that he was almost more concerned with being a 'good guy' in the eyes of the league and the public than being a successful GM. Which kind of goes back to what Bobby Clarke said 4 years ago: Was Burke in it for the Leafs, or was it just about him?

Red_Man said:

I haven't heard anything yet. Depressing stuff regardless.

Quick

Banned
Fletcher's a special advisor, which I'd like to think is merely a title, and he doesn't do much. I'd imagine that any advice he gives involves a story about "the good old days" where you damn kids didn't have your Blackerberries and the doodads to make your trades.

Cactus

Banned
bones,

If the owners are planning to fire Nonis after the season if the Leafs miss the playoffs again, why would they bother restructuring his contract? Also, why wouldn't they just promote him on an interim basis?

I really think he's here for the long haul. A focus on asset/prospect accumulation and management would be beneficial, and I doubt he'd publicly promote that franchise blueprint without full support from the owners.

Revenant

That's a good question.

Did you ever catch up on Boardwalk?

unfortunately no. I had some momentum going to finishing up season 1, but the last several months have had a little too much turbulence to be able to sit back and really get immersed in tv shows. I've never really been a big tv show guy until maybe the last two years so my free time went to other hobbies.

Probably going to try again soon, I enjoyed what I saw.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
You could have a whole fucking section dedicated to threads where people predict the wrong thing in Gaf. Why is this even a big deal.

bones,

If the owners are planning to fire Nonis after the season if the Leafs miss the playoffs again, why would they bother restructuring his contract? Also, why wouldn't they just promote him on an interim basis?

I really think he's here for the long haul. A focus on asset/prospect accumulation and management would be beneficial, and I doubt he'd publicly promote that franchise blueprint without full support from the owners.

Oh, I hadn't heard about the restructured contract - was that announced today as well?

If not and it's something that's actually from the previous ownership group, I wouldn't consider it sacrosanct.

The interim thing, that's a good point. It might be that the owners didn't want to create more uncertainty by placing a clear 'ON PROBATION' sign above their newly minted GM.

edit: What a bump :lol

Red_Man

You could have a whole fucking section dedicated to threads where people predict the wrong thing in Gaf. Why is this even a big deal.
Because Solo. It'll take more then a castration to keep him down. That Sunhi gif has to be one of the best ones he's ever made, at least top 5.

Top Bottom