• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL January 2013 |OT| - "Double-B to Double-M" The Milbury Leafs Era Begins NOW

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
f929994c933b1de1ec4f9144b91e2bc6.jpg

Partial jets sched

Media people trying to argue that the Leafs were in a better position when Burke got here than when he left...

But they were within one game that one year! They were within a New Jersey Devils win to make the playoffs that year. And obviously the goal is to make the playoffs.

I long for the days of long, NTC contracts on old players, and getting sorta close but not really to the playoffs. Remember when a 35 year old Sundin, Antropov, and Jason Blake were our best forwards? Remember when Justin Pogge and Jiri Tlusty were our best prospects? Dumb Burke didn't even trade his best prospects for worthless players. He actually got value, what an idiot!

DopeyFish

Media people trying to argue that the Leafs were in a better position when Burke got here than when he left...

But they were within one game that one year! They were within a New Jersey Devils win to make the playoffs that year. And obviously the goal is to make the playoffs.

I long for the days of long, NTC contracts on old players, and getting sorta close but not really to the playoffs. Remember when a 35 year old Sundin, Antropov, and Jason Blake were our best forwards? Remember when Justin Pogge and Jiri Tlusty were our best prospects? Dumb Burke didn't even trade his best prospects for worthless players. He actually got value, what an idiot!

Or watching John pohl skate for what appeared like the first time

CCF23

I think the issue with Burke is he put himself in that weird position of not committing to a full rebuild, but also not committing to trying to win now. It seemed like the direction the team was going in was kind of "stay the course of mediocre". Sort of comparable to the Flames.

Quick

Banned
Remember Jason Allison?

Matt Stajan, future Captain (pretty sure I read something like this once or twice)?

Kyle Wellwood being Sundin's permanent winger?

TWIN TOWERS OF ANTROPOV AND PONIKAROVSKI

McCabe overpayment?

Andy fucking Wozniewski?

Jiri Tlusty?

Anton Stralman?

Luke Schenn?!

Cactus

Banned
Yeah, the organization is definitely in a better position today compared to the JFJ era. The results have still been disappointing but at least the team has some great young players and decent prospect depth.

Is it worth reading the whole McLovin thread when I get home later? The hype is approaching jbaird and baconbitz levels.
If you find GAF making fun of someone who probably has some form of autism (to the point of finding his Facebook and YouTube account) then yes

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Because it's mostly weird and creepy and then things go to a real bad place when people start pulling up his youtube accounts and such.

Yeah I found the summary funny at first, then I just started feeling sorry for the guy. Couldn't bring myself to watch any of his videos, there's only so much of other people's embarrassment that I can stand.

DopeyFish

I think the issue with Burke is he put himself in that weird position of not committing to a full rebuild, but also not committing to trying to win now. It seemed like the direction the team was going in was kind of "stay the course of mediocre". Sort of comparable to the Flames.

but he was doing both fairly well

marlies are leading the AHL

Leafs have a very respectable lineup

what was wrong was coaching

teams showing up to games tired, when one of leafs biggest strengths is speed
fucking up lines because a goaltender is dominating making the players all confused with assignments - you only start messing with lines when players aren't playing well... not that a goalie is making all the key saves.
not fixing the terrible defensive system...
putting the 4th line out in the last minute of the game or on powerplays... steckel? sure. he can win faceoffs. but what good is orr or brown or rosehill going to do?
giving players like boyce, crabb, steckel, lebda far more ice time than they should be
putting offensive talents like kadri, a 190 lbs player in a checking role- brilliance!
the "who knows who will be starting in goal" game is a confidence killer - you only do it to keep the other team guessing... not as a tactic to make the goalies play better.
having one strategy work and deciding to use it over and over and over and when a team starts figuring it out they stop using it. whatever happened to using a playbook?
not doing a single fucking passing drill
"let's go"/"hanta yo" being the biggest motivational speech
blaming players
players make mistakes? let's put them out right away to make more.
saying that the most worthy players will play... then play the least worthy players

fuck the biggest problem was coaching but it's still burkes stupid ass fault he didn't can wilson

CCF23

teams showing up to games tired, when one of leafs biggest strengths is speed
fucking up lines because a goaltender is dominating making the players all confused with assignments - you only start messing with lines when players aren't playing well... not that a goalie is making all the key saves.
not fixing the terrible defensive system...
putting the 4th line out in the last minute of the game or on powerplays... steckel? sure. he can win faceoffs. but what good is orr or brown or rosehill going to do?
giving players like boyce, crabb, steckel, lebda far more ice time than they should be
putting offensive talents like kadri, a 190 lbs player in a checking role- brilliance!
the "who knows who will be starting in goal" game is a confidence killer - you only do it to keep the other team guessing... not as a tactic to make the goalies play better.
having one strategy work and deciding to use it over and over and over and when a team starts figuring it out they stop using it. whatever happened to using a playbook?
not doing a single fucking passing drill
"let's go"/"hanta yo" being the biggest motivational speech
blaming players
players make mistakes? let's put them out right away to make more.
saying that the most worthy players will play... then play the least worthy players

fuck the biggest problem was coaching but it's still burkes stupid ass fault he didn't can wilson

I disagree. Goaltending and defence were the biggest problems. Couldn't keep the puck out of your net. As much as you can try and place all the blame on Wilson, it's not all his fault. We went through the same shit in Vancouver with Burke. He built a decent team, and then ignored goaltending until it got him fired. You'd think he'd have learned, but nope.

Because it's mostly weird and creepy and then things go to a real bad place when people start pulling up his youtube accounts and such.

Yeah I found the summary funny at first, then I just started feeling sorry for the guy. Couldn't bring myself to watch any of his videos, there's only so much of other people's embarrassment that I can stand.
There is a Jamaican saying I oft use that says, "The higher the monkey goes up the tree, the more you see his ass" which is what happened. He made a thread with the intention of gaining fame and bragging. He had no merit to do so and found what happens when you try to make a spectacle of yourself. The Facebook stuff, too far. His YouTube? Fair and hilarious game.

DopeyFish

I disagree. Goaltending and defence were the biggest problems. Couldn't keep the puck out of your net. As much as you can try and place all the blame on Wilson, it's not all his fault. We went through the same shit in Vancouver with Burke. He built a decent team, and then ignored goaltending until it got him fired. You'd think he'd have learned, but nope.

goaltending wasn't that much of an issue, though.

it was primarily defensive systems leaving goaltenders in impossible scenarios

except for gustavsson and his weak goals...

it was all coaching. reimer is far better than cloutier ever was.

There is a Jamaican saying I oft use that says, "The higher the monkey goes up the tree, the more you see his ass" which is what happened. If he made a thread with the intention of gaining fame and bragging. He had no merit to do so and found what happens when you try to make a spectacle of yourself. The Facebook stuff, too far. His YouTube? Fair and hilarious game.

That's why you don't post personal pics and info on a popular Internet forum. Detective-GAF and Google will be your undoing.

I'm not saying he wasn't "asking for it" but that doesn't change that it was basically a bunch of people making fun of this guy for 60+ pages

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Remember Jason Allison?

Matt Stajan, future Captain (pretty sure I read something like this once or twice)?

Kyle Wellwood being Sundin's permanent winger?

TWIN TOWERS OF ANTROPOV AND PONIKAROVSKI

McCabe overpayment?

Andy fucking Wozniewski?

Jiri Tlusty?

Anton Stralman?

Luke Schenn?!

47 points last year. Would have been the Leafs 4th leading scorer.

CCF23

goaltending wasn't that much of an issue, though.

it was primarily defensive systems leaving goaltenders in impossible scenarios

except for gustavsson and his weak goals...

it was all coaching. reimer is far better than cloutier ever was.

You say these things until you get an actual decent goalie. Again, I know, I've been there. I used to defend Cloutier/Auld/the whole run of shit goalies the Canucks had until Luongo came to town.

Other than the Kessel deal, most of his deals are pretty much for the future and Kessel was 21 when we got him. Ultimately it was the wrong deal at rhe wrong time though. Most of his trades added young to middle aged players with upside. Most were also steals.

There's more than one way to rebuild a team and drafting well goes with all of them. You don't have to tank. And that's what most GMs hope for. You hope to remain competitive while reloading. The Sabres and Flyers are probably a good example. Drafting and developing great players but not bottoming out... mostly. And teams are given draft picks automatically. Trading smartly and making good picks outside of your highest picks is how he thought he could do it. It hasn't materialized yet but I think he made a lot of good moves and good picks that will pay off in the future. And of course has failed filling other holes... but he's only been here for 3.5 years.

Free agent signings weren't for the future and bad generally, other than Orr I guess (If I remember right) but the deals were short term and no assets other than cap space were lost.

The biggest problem was his media shenanigans IMO. Making too many bold claims and probably not realizing how tough the position he was in. Trading for Tavares, etc, etc. He became bigger than the team. It was entertaining bur I suspect that's why he was fired. That's probably the biggest change to happen with going to Nonis. And buying this form of the "rebuild" an extra year likely with this "shift" on management.

I wanted Wellwood back here (I may have posted about it), but he's a better player now. Fans would probably boo him though.

Erdrick

47 points last year. Would have been the Leafs 4th leading scorer.

I could see him playing with Antropov and Ponikarovski too, this year. So glad the Jets resigned him. He really impressed me last year with his play. Very smart playmaker. Also helps that he can play on any line and improve it. Versatile guy. Looking forward to seeing his 2nd year here.

Beez

Banned
I could see him playing with Antropov and Ponikarovski too, this year. So glad the Jets resigned him. He really impressed me last year with his play. Very smart playmaker. Also helps that he can play on any line and improve it. Versatile guy. Looking forward to seeing his 2nd year here.

He eats a lot. My dad says he's a perfect fit for Kessel.

4 seasons of failure is not 'doing well' - especially when your most recent season is your worst.

They're ahead of the 8th place team by 5 points and rely heavily on career AHL guys Keith Aucoin and Mike Kostka, There's not really much to be excited about with the Marlies other than Eakins.

Compared to who? Columbus?

Maybe, but there's a fair argument that a coach can only do so much with the players he has in front of him. Wilson certainly wasn't to blame for the pathetic goaltending he had to deal with.

fuck the biggest problem was the roster

Adjusted for accuracy.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Not a chance.

*Insert picture of Misa Campo in Habs jersey, or Lars Eller ripped

zm6Kr.gif

Just in time for our surprise playoff bid.

Cole is just being stupid right now, the guy isn't giving up another $8 million at his age, especially if he has another good year, and there were reports Subban was signing for 4 years @ $22 M but Meehan denied it completely.

Those Canuck forward lines were great for a laugh btw.

Top Bottom