• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL March 2013 |OT| Black History Forever

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Plug-Kesler-Booth
Hansen-Plug-Kassian
Plug-Plug-Plug

Bieksa-Hamhuis
Edler-Garrison
Ballard-Plug

Schneider
Luongo.

We have 3.9mio to spend on 6 roster players... And then some. Tanev, Weise and Schroeder should be somewhat cheap, the rest? Uhoh.

Raymond?
Higgins?
Lapierre?

Not to mention we actually NEED an extra 3rd line C...
Ballard or Booth will be waived, Luongo or Schneider will be traded, that adds another $8-$10m to our cap.

Jensen will slot into the top 9, and he'll still have all 3 years of his ELC left to burn. Tanev, Weise and Schroeder will all re-sign and none of them will be terribly expensive. Connauton will like make his NHL debut next season as well and Lack would potentially back-up whichever goaltender is left.

In terms of UFAs, Lapierre will almost certainly be re-signed, Raymond maybe, same with Higgins. Pinizzoto could get another shot at trying to make an NHL team without getting injured too.

So really.

Sedin-Sedin-Jensen
Burrows-Kesler-Kassian
Hansen-Schroeder-Booth
Weise-Lapierre-Pinizzotto

Hamhuis-Bieksa
Edler-Garrison
Connauton-Tanev

Schneider/Luongo
Lack

That's not too bad.

Merguson

Banned
I bet the Ducks will keep Perry after the trade deadline. Gear up for a stanley cup run. Just can't avoid that. They are 2nd in the West.

Either they sign him or they don't in the off-season.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I just wonder if he gets traded to a team he wants to resign with anyway, couldn't Anaheim get a better return too? Since he'd presumably be more than just a rental. Of course there'd need to be some kind of agreement and guarantee he'd actually resign...

Solo

I bet the Ducks will keep Perry after the trade deadline. Gear up for a stanley cup run. Just can't avoid that. They are 2nd in the West.

That's a big risk to take though.

Keeping Perry and making a Cup run vs. Perry walking on July 1 for nothing

Yeah I dont think they will trade him either. If they trade him and the team falls off if will piss the fans off big time.

Solo

I just wonder if he gets traded to a team he wants to resign with anyway, couldn't Anaheim get a better return too? Since he'd presumably be more than just a rental. Of course there'd need to be some kind of agreement and guarantee he'd actually resign...

In theory they could do a sign and trade, yes. He agrees to go to _____. Ducks sign him for that term/amount then trade him to _____ for a decent return.

Cake Boss

Banned
If hes asking to go to a team that he wants, then he probably wants to go to a contender, and contending teams usually don't want to give up multiple assets off their roster for 1 roster player, they usually want to add by giving up picks and prospects. Now that Anaheim is 2nd in the west, will they be looking for prospects and picks or looking for roster players + to go for a deep playoff run?

Smiley90

Ballard or Booth will be waived, Luongo or Schneider will be traded, that adds another $8-$10m to our cap.

Jensen will slot into the top 9, and he'll still have all 3 years of his ELC left to burn. Tanev, Weise and Schroeder will all re-sign and none of them will be terribly expensive. Connauton will like make his NHL debut next season as well and Lack would potentially back-up whichever goaltender is left.

In terms of UFAs, Lapierre will almost certainly be re-signed, Raymond maybe, same with Higgins. Pinizzoto could get another shot at trying to make an NHL team without getting injured too.

So really.

Sedin-Sedin-Jensen
Burrows-Kesler-Kassian
Hansen-Schroeder-Booth
Weise-Lapierre-Pinizzotto

Hamhuis-Bieksa
Edler-Garrison
Connauton-Tanev

Schneider/Luongo
Lack

That's not too bad.

You're being too high on Jensen. And there's not guarantee Connauton will do as well in his first NHL season as Tanev, either. Jensen will probably only get a couple games with the Sedins, similar to Kassian, and then he'll play the rest on the 3rd or 2nd, depending on how well he plays. IF he plays well enough to stay, which I really hope he does. And a Connauton-Tanev pairing is risky, even if I want to see it.

I honestly don't think we can or will resign Higgins and Raymond, possibly one, if even. And we're still missing an extra 3rd C and 2nd Winger, then, esp if Kassian and Jensen don't play as well as us homers want them to.

In theory they could do a sign and trade, yes. He agrees to go to _____. Ducks sign him for that term/amount then trade him to _____ for a decent return.

I'm now thinking of a scenario where he gets traded to Toronto for cheap, resigns in good conscience, then gets traded back more expensively to Anaheim. Anaheim paying Toronto to do the resigning for them. it would be hilarious. (but his new contract will probably have a NTC anyway)

On that note, does Getzlaf's new contract have a NTC?

Heretic

If Perry gets PAID with the Ducks then bye bye Bobby. But if Perry leaves, then Bobby will get PAID. Best case scenario, we keep one of the two. Worst case, we lose both. No way we keep both unless one of them accepts a discount.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Acid what's up with Clowe. It seems like everyone is mentioning him as trade bait, is there a feeling he's not going to sign with the Sharks?

Smiley90

Booth looked straight up awful earlier this week. Would you consider him a total bust?

he was injured (because... hunting is apparently not decent enough for offseason workout), but he's working pretty hard, actually. He's been getting the ~2nd highest shots on the team per game over the last few games, he's doing everything but scoring. I guess he's like our Gomez now. So if he keeps playing like this then yes, bust and should get bought out/traded. if he starts scoring and gets his touch, then he can stay on the 2nd line.

You're being too high on Jensen. And there's not guarantee Connauton will do as well in his first NHL season as Tanev, either. Jensen will probably only get a couple games with the Sedins, similar to Kassian, and then he'll play the rest on the 3rd or 2nd, depending on how well he plays. IF he plays well enough to stay, which I really hope he does. And a Connauton-Tanev pairing is risky, even if I want to see it.

I honestly don't think we can or will resign Higgins and Raymond, possibly one, if even. And we're still missing an extra 3rd C and 2nd Winger, then, esp if Kassian and Jensen don't play as well as us homers want them to.

I'm playing under the assumption that AV gets canned and we get a new coach who's willing to let prospects play through their curves and place players in roles where they're most likely to succeed.

Jensen is the most likely to succeed on the top line with the Sedins. He has an offensive game very similar to Kesler's during his career year. He drives the net hard, he's got a big body presence, he has an incredible shot. For all intents and purposes, he's what David Booth should've been. So far, Jensen has succeeded at every level playing against adults. National hockey, AHL, SEL, there's no reason to assume he won't be just as good in the NHL, especially when he has the Sedins playing for him.

Kassian should be playing with Kesler because Kesler desperately needs someone to pass him the puck, and hasn't had that other than the Sedins on the powerplay, in which he dominated when he was healthy. Kassian could be that guy. We already know that he can pass the puck will and make plays, he just needs a high-end talent to pass it to.

A Connauton-Tanev pairing shouldn't be anymore more risky than a Ballard-Tanev pairing. Both are high risk high reward defensemen and Connauton has shown a lot of chemistry with Tanev. He's also very big, very fast, and could QB a power play, something we're definitely lacking in since Ehrhoff's departure.

The Canucks need to start playing more of its kids next season, otherwise what's the point of drafting them? They're going to have to live and die by them, and they'll definitely die if they have AV burying them at the first sign of trouble. As long as core pieces exists on every line, then the Canucks should be fine. IE, Sedins on the first line, Kesler on the second, Hansen on the third and Lapierre on the fourth.

Smiley90

I'm playing under the assumption that AV gets canned and we get a new coach who's willing to let prospects play through their curves and place players in roles where they're most likely to succeed.

Jensen is the most likely to succeed on the top line with the Sedins. He has an offensive game very similar to Kesler's during his career year. He drives the net hard, he's got a big body presence, he has an incredible shot. For all intents and purposes, he's what David Booth should've been. So far, Jensen has succeeded at every level playing against adults. National hockey, AHL, SEL, there's no reason to assume he won't be just as good in the NHL, especially when he has the Sedins playing for him.

Kassian should be playing with Kesler because Kesler desperately needs someone to pass him the puck, and hasn't had that other than the Sedins on the powerplay, in which he dominated when he was healthy. Kassian could be that guy. We already know that he can pass the puck will and make plays, he just needs a high-end talent to pass it to.

A Connauton-Tanev pairing shouldn't be anymore more risky than a Ballard-Tanev pairing. Both are high risk high reward defensemen and Connauton has shown a lot of chemistry with Tanev. He's also very big, very fast, and could QB a power play, something we're definitely lacking in since Ehrhoff's departure.

The Canucks need to start playing more of its kids next season, otherwise what's the point of drafting them? They're going to have to live and die by them, and they'll definitely die if they have AV burying them at the first sign of trouble. As long as core pieces exists on every line, then the Canucks should be fine. IE, Sedins on the first line, Kesler on the second, Hansen on the third and Lapierre on the fourth.

Oh I'm not saying I don't WANT those lines, I'm just saying they're not guaranteed to work. In a perfect world, your lineup works extremely well. In a realistic world, I'm doubtful, especially if "no way we let the rookies play" AV stays. Jensen is perfect for the Sedins and a Kassian/Kesler/Burrows line could pack some MASSIVE power into one single line. Hansen-Schroeder-Raymond/Booth would be a solid two-way line, with both defensive capabilities and scoring touch. 4th line with Weise-Lapierre-Pinnizotto has offensive upside too.

In a perfect world.

If Perry gets PAID with the Ducks then bye bye Bobby. But if Perry leaves, then Bobby will get PAID. Best case scenario, we keep one of the two. Worst case, we lose both. No way we keep both unless one of them accepts a discount.

Bobby Ryan come on down! I wonder if Couturier and pick would be enough in the offseason.

It wont

Oh I'm not saying I don't WANT those lines, I'm just saying they're not guaranteed to work. In a perfect world, your lineup works extremely well. In a realistic world, I'm doubtful, especially if "no way we let the rookies play" AV stays. Jensen is perfect for the Sedins and a Kassian/Kesler/Burrows line could pack some MASSIVE power into one single line. Hansen-Schroeder-Raymond/Booth would be a solid two-way line, with both defensive capabilities and scoring touch. 4th line with Weise-Lapierre-Pinnizotto has offensive upside too.

In a perfect world.
I feel like one reason our team is lacking any energy is because it's the same bunch of guys going through the same grind they've been going through since last January. They need new faces and they need younger faces who aren't carrying that history and drain. Hell, this fan-base needs a young star to spark them up again and the more rookies we carry, the bigger the chances of that happening.

Smiley90

I feel like one reason our team is lacking any energy is because it's the same bunch of guys going through the same grind they've been going through since last January. They need new faces and they need younger faces who aren't carrying that history and drain. Hell, this fan-base needs a young star to spark them up again and the more rookies we carry, the bigger the chances of that happening.

Definitely. Optimally, we'd get someone with a spark in return for Luongo, since Kassian clearly isn't sparkly -cringe- enough. I still hope the Luongo trade happens before an AV firin, because I REALLY like AV, and the team appears to do so too. I rather trade Luongo first and hope that helps, and then if that doesn't work we can still fire AV.

I stand by my prediction: If we don't make at least the Conference Finals (which it looks bleak for atm), AV is gone this summer.

You son of a...

Solo

You're keeping Getzlaf (duh) and Ryan now. Perry is gone.

Acid08

Banned
Acid what's up with Clowe. It seems like everyone is mentioning him as trade bait, is there a feeling he's not going to sign with the Sharks?
It's not that he doesn't want to sign, it's that the org isn't sure they want to sign him. He's really slow and, increasingly over the past couple seasons, had just been playing some bad hockey. Doesn't win board battles like he used to and tries to emulate Thornton too much. Sucks because he's one of the only natural wingers we have.

Natural centers:
Thornton
Marleau
Pavelski
Couture
Gomez
Desjardins
Handzus
Sheppard
Wingels
Kearns

Natural Wingers:
Clowe
Havlat
Burish
Kennedy
Galiardi

I know there has been some talk about what potential value he holds to Montreal.

CCF23

Booth and Ballard will both be compliance bought out. Luongo will be traded. Say we manage to dump around $3 million in cap on the Luongo deal, that's $11.45 million of cap space freed up. Then you'd have a roster of:

Sedin (6.1) - Sedin (6.1) - Burrows (4.5)
??? - Kesler (5) - ???
Jensen (0.9) - ??? - Hansen (1.35)
??? - ??? - Kassian (0.87)

Hamhuis (4.5) - Bieksa (4.6)
Edler (5) - Garrison (4.6)
??? - ???

Schneider (4)
Lack (0.75)

Which is roughly $51 million considering we take some kind of salary back in the Luongo deal. Then you start deciding on guys that need to be signed:

Raymond might get a bump back up to around $2.4 million, but he's not going much higher than that. Short term deal (2 years).

Higgins is let go, I think. With Jensen likely to step in, I feel like he's going to be odd man out.

Schroeder is re-signed, but I'm not even sure he fits on the roster.

Lapierre re-signs for the same deal he took (he's done nothing to deserve a raise). 2 years @ 1M per.

Weise is re-signed on the cheap (700K or so).

Tanev signs a 2-3 year deal in the $1.75 million range.

Raymond (2.4) - Kesler (5) - ???
Weise (0.7) - Lapierre (1) - Kassian (0.87)

Tanev (1.75) - ???

Schneider (4)
Lack (0.75)

That leaves you with that roster @ $56 million (assuming we took on some salary for Luongo), leaving us $8 million to fill a 2nd line wing hole, a 3rd line C hole, and a 6th D hole.

It's going to be tight, but there are definitely ways to make it work.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Pretty funny that both AV and Boucher could be fired this season, seeing as they are both coaches that a lot of the Montreal media was clamoring for before Therrien was hired.

Solo

Pretty funny that both AV and Boucher could be fired this season, seeing as they are both coaches that a lot of the Montreal media was clamoring for before Therrien was hired.

Even funnier that if the Jack Adams were handed out right now, Therrien would win it.

Smiley90

Booth and Ballard will both be compliance bought out. Luongo will be traded. Say we manage to dump around $3 million in cap on the Luongo deal, that's $11.45 million of cap space freed up. Then you'd have a roster of:

??? - Kesler (5) - ???
??? - ??? - Kassian (0.87)

??? - ???

Schneider (4)
Lack (0.75)

Which is roughly $51 million considering we take some kind of salary back in the Luongo deal. Then you start deciding on guys that need to be signed:

Raymond might get a bump back up to around $2.4 million, but he's not going much higher than that. Short term deal (2 years).

Higgins is let go, I think. With Jensen likely to step in, I feel like he's going to be odd man out.

Schroeder is re-signed, but I'm not even sure he fits on the roster.

Lapierre re-signs for the same deal he took (he's done nothing to deserve a raise). 2 years @ 1M per.

Weise is re-signed on the cheap (700K or so).

Tanev signs a 2-3 year deal in the $1.75 million range.

Raymond (2.4) - Kesler (5) - ???
Weise (0.7) - Lapierre (1) - Kassian (0.87)

Tanev (1.75) - ???

Schneider (4)
Lack (0.75)

That leaves you with that roster @ $56 million (assuming we took on some salary for Luongo), leaving us $8 million to fill a 2nd line wing hole, a 3rd line C hole, and a 6th D hole.

It's going to be tight, but there are definitely ways to make it work.

Preferably whoever we get back in the Luongo deal is capable of filling ONE of those spots. Most likely the 3rd line C spot, or 6th D if we resign Schroeder (which I really think we will, since he shouldn't be THAT expensive)

Solo

Don't be so sure. Would be between him and Boudreau.

MT, Boudreau and Quenneville would be the noms for sure. I just think MT gets the edge because Montreal doesn't have the overall level of talent the other two teams do. Anaheim and Chicago are each rolling several future Hall of Famers.

Preferably whoever we get back in the Luongo deal is capable of filling ONE of those spots. Most likely the 3rd line C spot, or 6th D if we resign Schroeder (which I really think we will, since he shouldn't be THAT expensive)

There is absolutely zero reason why we wouldn't re-sign Schroeder. He's a 22 year old proven NHL top 9 centre with upside. Even if we don't plan on using him, we're going to re-sign him in order to trade him.

Smiley90

All this speculation is difficult to do not knowing when/if we get rid of one of our goalies. It's kind of a big deal, cap and roster-wise.

Just get it over with, pleaaaaaase.

Red_Man

It would be between Therrien, Maclean, and Boudreau at this point, but I don't see how you don't give it to MT. This team is night and day from last year, and that is because of Therrien and Bergevin's systems and philosophies more then anything else.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Weird stat courtesy of TSN:

@NHLonTSN: Rick Nash is the 2nd player in @NHL history whose first 8 goals of a season are all 3rd period goals. The other player? Aaron Asham in 03-04

Red_Man

Ducks are also night and day though. I think it comes down to MT and Boudreau, coin toss as to who would win.
Montreal doesn't have a Ryan, Getzlaf or Perry though, let alone 3 of them. Montreal's success is due to them sticking to Therrien's system, and due to their effectiveness as a sum of their parts. Boudreau deserves a lot of credit, but he's working with some world class talent, and game breakers too that Montreal lacks.

Solo

Bourque's injury has been a blessing in disguise. Since he's been out, Eller has gotten a regular shift and linemates and much more ice time and responsibility. The result? 9 points in his last 9 games. Eller HAS to keep getting good linemates and icetime even when Bourque returns. Eller has been our best player over the past 10 games.

unf

Red_Man

Old Lebrun tweet I just saw on Hfboards

LeBrun: #Habs Bergevin won't mortgage future for rentals, likely going to be a player they can keep long term 2+ years

Thatta guy Bergevin. No Perry, thanks.

CCF23

Even funnier that if the Jack Adams were handed out right now, Therrien would win it.

Nope.

Don't be so sure. Would be between him and Boudreau.

Nope.

There's also Paul MacLean (if he gets the Senators into the playoffs), Joel Quenneville and you have to consider Randy Carlyle if the Leafs do make the playoffs.

Yup.

MT, Boudreau and Quenneville would be the noms for sure. I just think MT gets the edge because Montreal doesn't have the overall level of talent the other two teams do. Anaheim and Chicago are each rolling several future Hall of Famers.

Nope.

Seriously. Look at the fucking team Ottawa is icing and tell me they should be in a playoff spot. If they make the playoffs without Karlsson or Spezza, MacLean wins it hands down. That team has no business being in a playoff spot with the injuries they've gone through.

Milan Michalek - Kyle Turris - Daniel Alfredsson
David Dziurzynski - Mika Zibanejad - Erik Condra
Colin Greening - Zack Smith - Chris Neil
Mark Stone - Peter Regin - Jakob Silfverberg

Marc Methot - Eric Gryba
Patrick Wiercioch - Sergei Gonchar
Chris Phillips - Andre Benoit

Ben Bishop
Robin Lehner

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Not that I think he'd win it but you'd have to think Carlyle would get some consideration if the Leafs end up in a top 6 playoff spot.

Red_Man

Montreal doesn't have a Perry, Getzlaf, or Ryan, but they have Price.
Price hasn't had to steal a game this season, one of the biggest surprises for me. His performance in the 2nd last night against Carolina, is the closest he's come to stealing points for the Habs.

Seriously. Look at the fucking team Ottawa is icing and tell me they should be in a playoff spot. If they make the playoffs without Karlsson or Spezza, MacLean wins it hands down. That team has no business being in a playoff spot with the injuries they've gone through.

This man gets it.

Top Bottom