• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL March 2013 |OT| Black History Forever

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Canucks have 9.8M in cap space for next season with 14 players signed. This offseason is going to suck, it's not even funny.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Hopefully Bergevin stays the fuck away from Perry. No player outside of Crosby pre concussion is worth that kind of money for that long.

Merguson

Banned
Canucks have 9.8M in cap space for next season with 14 players signed. This offseason is going to suck, it's not even funny.

I was looking at Vancouver's situation before.. it said their cap space was $3.9 million or so.. is capgeek missing something?

Or are you considering a Luongo trade or compliance buyouts as well?

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
The more I think about it the more likely it seems like if we did trade for Perry we'd be giving up Macarthur and/or Bozak.

But I base this more on not knowing the Ducks depth and if they need a good top 6 scorer and a solid 3rd line center.

Red_Man

You wouldn't give that much for Stamkos?
Yea I would, forgot about him. But outside of those two I don't see a player in the league worth that kind of commitment.

The more I think about it the more likely it seems like if we did trade for Perry we'd be giving up Macarthur and/or Bozak.

But I base this more on not knowing the Ducks depth and if they need a good top 6 scorer and a solid 3rd line center.
Seems like if you want Perry, Kadri goes period, plus your first and a prospect.

Smiley90

Sedin-Burrows-Sedin
Plug-Kesler-Plug
Plug-Plug-Plug
Plug-Plug-Plug
Plug

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Plug-Kesler-Booth
Hansen-Plug-Kassian
Plug-Plug-Plug

Bieksa-Hamhuis
Edler-Garrison
Ballard-Plug

Schneider
Luongo.

We have 3.9mio to spend on 6 roster players... And then some. Tanev, Weise and Schroeder should be somewhat cheap, the rest? Uhoh.

Raymond?
Higgins?
Lapierre?

Not to mention we actually NEED an extra 3rd line C...

Solo

I'm almost certain Ducks will get a centre plus picks and/or prospects for Perry.

Think Bozak + Prospect + 2nd rounder or Plekanec + Prospect + 2nd rounder

Curufinwe

Malkin is going to want a raise from his current $8.7m in 2014. His concussion problems aren't nearly as bad as Crosby's, so there's no reason to discount because of that.

Smiley90

I was looking at Vancouver's situation before.. it said their cap space was $3.9 million or so.. is capgeek missing something?

Or are you considering a Luongo trade or compliance buyouts as well?

I was looking at capgeek's salary cap info for next season, says 9.8.... No luongo trade or buyouts considered.

Edit: nvm was wrong, it's 3.9fml

Smiley90

Ohwait, wtf. The salary cap display was wrong. Oh lol.

So we have 3.9 mio to spend on 6 roster players :loooooooool

Tanev and Schroeder, rest will be plugs :lololol

Solo

Id defintely trade for Perry for a playoff rental, but Id let him walk in the offseason. $9M+ AAV is way too rich.

Smiley90

Flyers are the only team with less space, but they have 19 players signed and Briere and his 6.5m hit will either be traded or bought out.

Philly has 2.3mio left, but you guys at least have 19 Players signed... We have 3.9 left with 14 signed :(

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Yea I would, forgot about him. But outside of those two I don't see a player in the league worth that kind of commitment.

Seems like if you want Perry, Kadri goes period, plus your first and a prospect.

There is no way they'd get that much for a guy who's unrestricted after this season.

I'm almost certain Ducks will get a centre plus picks and/or prospects for Perry.

That is more reasonable. They could probably get either a better roster player or a B level prospect I'd feel.

Red_Man

Id defintely trade for Perry for a playoff rental, but Id let him walk in the offseason. $9M+ AAV is way too rich.
You'd give up "Plekanec + Prospect + 2nd rounder" for Perry? LOL wut? We're good but we're not winning the cup, with or without Perry. Why would you give up that much of the future for a guy who's going to play with us for 2 months?

There is no way they'd get that much for a guy who's unrestricted after this season.

That is more reasonable. They could probably get either a better roster player or a B level prospect I'd feel.
1st + blue chip prospect is what I'm expecting, roster player is a random variable.

Solo

You'd give up "Plekanec + Prospect + 2nd rounder" for Perry? LOL wut? We're good but we're not winning the cup, with or without Perry. Why would you give up that much of the future for a guy who's going to play with us for 2 months?

? When did I say this? Re-read. You're combining two separate statements into one.

Philly probably too, which is about as dumb as the Pens.

Flyers cant improve goaltending, unless they buy Bryz out but there isnt going to be anyone better available, they will try to improve defense but who knows if they will be able to. If they cant fix their defense then the only option is to go all in on offense and try to out score teams.

Red_Man

? When did I say this?

Solo said:

I figured you were OKing this trade proposal. It won't be cheap to rent him, it won't be worth it. The only way he's worth paying a rental price is if you're on the edge of winning it all.

Cake Boss

Banned
Didnt Bobby Mac say that Perry could get 1M-2M in endorsments if he was playing in a big market team like TO or MTL?

I don't think he will ask for 9M or more, probably 8.5 at most, around the same price as Getzlaf. If he does then there aren't many contenders that can fit him under the cap next season.

Wtf did I just read

HfBoards.

Solo

Having said that, YES, I'd still probably do that deal.

1. Eller's development makes Pleks less and less of an untouchable. Could roll Eller-Gally-DD-White down the middle next year.
2. Give them a middling prospect like Kristo.
3. We have 3 2nd rounders and could afford to lose one.

And I completely disagree - in this season of all seasons, Habs have a shot.

Red_Man

JVR Stastny Perry
Clowe Kadri Kessel

Sick top 2 lines for 2013-2014.
3FWeLd3.gif

Philly has 2.3mio left, but you guys at least have 19 Players signed... We have 3.9 left with 14 signed :(

Buy out Ballard Garrison
Trade Luongo, bury the contract coming back the other way

Gillis could probably make it work.

But that window looks pretty small.

I think AV gets canned after this season, if not before.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member

1. Eller's development makes Pleks less and less of an untouchable. Could roll Eller-Gally-DD-White down the middle next year.

I don't think you can trade Plekanec going into the playoffs this season, as much as I like Eller, that leaves your top 3 centres as Desharnais, Eller, Galchenyuk. I'd be fine with that going into next season when they've all developed a bit more.

BTW, Ryan "Getz" Extension on NHL.com

Red_Man

1. Trading Pleks alone to a team could bring in a great reward, not worth packaging him in with a guy who will walk after this season, and Eller isn't ready to take his place just yet.
2. Kristo is our best forward prospect after Leblanc and Collberg, not giving him up again for a guy who will walk.
3. Those 2nd rounders will be better used to move up in the draft in the first round or to get a roster player who will be here a long time.

We have a chance, but we're not good enough to warrant it and I have difficulty seeing Bergevin mortgaging the teams future for a guy who's not sticking around. If Perry says he'll sign with us that's a different conversation.

Curufinwe

With Briere bought out that would really be 17 players signed (cause one of those 19 players is Pronger) and 8.8m in cap space plus $5m which can come off thru LTIR. So the Flyers aren't in bad cap shape for next year. Laughton will come up and play on the 3rd/4th line.

But in summer 2014 they will have Giroux, Couturier, and B Schenn as RFAs, and Matt Read as a UFA. Couturier is trying to help the team by having an awful season which drives his value down.

Solo

I don't think you can trade Plekanec going into the playoffs this season, as much as I like Eller, that leaves your top 3 centres as Desharnais, Eller, Galchenyuk. I'd be fine with that going into next season when they've all developed a bit more.

I dont disagree with you. I also love Pleks. Its just that his trade value is going to shrink every year now due to his age, so if we dont see him as being a player intergral to winning a Cup, we need to move him sooner rather than later.

Basically: either move Pleks this season or let him finish his career in Montreal

Smiley90

Buy out Ballard Garrison
Trade Luongo, bury the contract coming back the other way

Gillis could probably make it work.

But that window looks pretty small.

I think AV gets canned after this season, if not before.

Even IF we somehow miraculously get rid of a D-man and luongo's contract (so, an extra 10mio), that means we need to spend 13.9mio on 7 roster players (assuming Lack becomes the backup). Doable, but still bad. We'd need to slot in Alberts as a permanent top6 D (which he isn't) and would need to resign Higgins and Raymond for cheap, in addition to Weise/Schroeder/Tanev. The maybe Sestito or Pinnizotto on the 4th.

It works, but it sucks. And we'll be worse than this season for sure.

Solo

1. Trading Pleks alone to a team could bring in a great reward, not worth packaging him in with a guy who will walk after this season, and Eller isn't ready to take his place just yet.
2. Kristo is our best forward prospect after Leblanc and Collberg, not giving him up again for a guy who will walk.
3. Those 2nd rounders will be better used to move up in the draft in the first round or to get a roster player who will be here a long time.

We have a chance, but we're not good enough to warrant it and I have difficulty seeing Bergevin mortgaging the teams future for a guy who's not sticking around. If Perry says he'll sign with us that's a different conversation.

I'm not convinced in the slightest about Kristo. Seems to enjoy being a bit of a shithead more than becoming an NHL calibre player. I also think this past season has REALLY hurt Leblanc's development. He's not had a good ride in Hamilton. Collberg hopefully though will be a stud and play on Gally's wing for a decade.

With Briere bought out that would really be 17 players signed (cause one of those 19 players is Pronger) and 8.8m in cap space plus $5m which can come off thru LTIR. So the Flyers aren't in bad cap shape for next year. Laughton will come up and play on the 3rd/4th line.

But in summer 2014 they will have Giroux, Couturier, and B Schenn as RFAs, and Matt Read as a UFA. Couturier is trying to help the team by having an awful season which drives his value down.

Damn what a great guy.

Heretic

Whatever happens with Perry, I hope it happens quick. Can't imagine what the Devils or Preds felt like knowing their stars MIGHT leave.

Red_Man

I'm not convinced in the slightest about Kristo. Seems to enjoy being a bit of a shithead more than becoming an NHL calibre player. I also think this past season has REALLY hurt Leblanc's development. He's not had a good ride in Hamilton. Collberg hopefully though will be a stud and play on Gally's wing for a decade.
Kristo has the best offensive skill set and upside after Collberg. Whatever he does off the ice is whatever, and Leblanc has been dealing with his ankle injury all season. This is like the people who ragged on Patches when he was playing up here and not playing well. These prospects need time to develop into their own.

Solo

Whatever happens with Perry, I hope it happens quick. Can't imagine what the Devils or Preds felt like knowing their stars MIGHT leave.

Don't worry, Heretic - he'll be traded by the deadline, April 3. So you have a maximum of 26 days before the pain (and Perry) will be gone.

Solo

Kristo has the best offensive skill set and upside after Collberg. Whatever he does off the ice is whatever, and Leblanc has been dealing with his ankle injury all season. This is like the people who ragged on Patches when he was playing up here and not playing well. These prospects need time to develop into their own.

There's a big difference between a guy like Pacioretty's development, with his size and skillset, and Leblanc's. Patches had the tools, he just needed to play (hence going back to Hamilton).

Smiley90

Do you guys think perry will request a trade to a team where he considers staying, or will Anaheim just ship him to the highest bidder in spite?

Solo

Do you guys think perry will request a trade to a team where he considers staying, or will Anaheim just ship him to the highest bidder in spite?

Anaheim will dump him wherever they get the best deal. From Perry's perspective, it doesn't matter anyways. Say he ends up in Florida. He only plays ~10 games for them before getting to pick his team.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle

If he doesn't have a NTC he's getting shipped to the highest bidder period. He wouldn't have a say in this and it doesn't matter to the Ducks if he resigns with the team or not unless him resigning is able to sweeten the pot for them.

Top Bottom