• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL March 2013 |OT| Black History Forever

The fact that everyone is taking about the shootout attempt is why shootouts exist in the NHL in the first place.

What happened to that guy?

I don't think it's "fun" anymore for him. Plus he is very predictable as a player, he hasn't progressed his game since he started. I think every NHL defenceman who's been around the block once knows how to defend against him.

He was exciting as hell to watch when he broke into the league and he was enjoying himself. He got awards, got the big contract and now people expect results. Capitals expect him to win them a Cup (even gave him a C), Russia expects him to deliver a gold. It's just massive expectations weighing on him at this point. It's no longer a sport he enjoys playing, it's a job.

Alucard

Banned
The fact that everyone is taking about the shootout attempt is why shootouts exist in the NHL in the first place.

I don't think it's "fun" anymore for him. Plus he is very predictable as a player, he hasn't progressed his game since he started. I think every NHL defenceman who's been around the block once knows how to defend against him.

He was exciting as hell to watch when he broke into the league and he was enjoying himself. He got awards, got the big contract and now people expect results. Capitals expect him to win them a Cup (even gave him a C), Russia expects him to deliver a gold. It's just massive expectations weighing on him at this point. It's no longer a sport he enjoys playing, it's a job.

Sounds like a problem of maturity and accepting responsibility.

with-great-power-comes-great-responsibility-spider-man.jpeg

Ovechkin needs to read some Spider-Man comics.

It's always been there. The hockey world is a bunch of overly conservative, no-fun-allowed, boring stiffs.

To a degree I actually like it, I don´t mind celebrations for something special. But If you just score a GWG I much rather prefer a respectful and relieved hands in the sky ala Shanahan(or basically any player from the 90s) than something a player have been thinking above prior to the goal. There is enough "entertainment" shit in hockey as it is.(just look at all the people discussing a Penalty shot on this page)

Curufinwe

But all that forward talent!!!

Doesn't help when your goalies are 31st in shootout save percentage.

And they're only 27th in shooting percentage. Briere and Giroux have been the Flyers only consistent shootout guys that I can think of. Richards was OK, but Carter was terrible.

Heretic

The Cure is going to be headlining shows in Montreal :'(

Damn you, habs-gaf! DAMN YOU!!!

Anyone close to this address?
1, circuit Gilles-Villeneuve
Montreal QC H3C 1A9
Canada

If so, can you fly me out, let me stay in your place, feed me, and get me tickets to the show?

Really?

Tatar down to GR, Nyquist called up

I mean it's nice to have Nyquist called up, but Tatar has been amazing for us and has provided amazing energy for the team. Would have liked to had them keep both up for a game or two and make Abby or Cleary or some other bottom 6 guy a healthy scratch, but nope can't do that. :/

I just get more pissed off at this team every day.

The Cure is going to be headlining shows in Montreal :'(

Damn you, habs-gaf! DAMN YOU!!!

Anyone close to this address?
1, circuit Gilles-Villeneuve
Montreal QC H3C 1A9
Canada

If so, can you fly me out, let me stay in your place, feed me, and get me tickets to the show?

I saw them this summer. They were really good, hadnt listened to them much. Tought they would be tired but they blew me away.

Curufinwe

The best part of this shitty Flyers season has been reading Bill Meltzer's blog. He's so far above the guys who write for the Philly papers.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill...-Working-After-27-Games/45/49916#.UT9XhVfLoQk

On a collective level, the problems have been numerous, but the main issues can generally be boiled down to a lack of improvement in team defense and less offensive consistency than the team had a year ago.

In terms of team defense, there is often a tendency to hyper-focus on the six players on the blueline. That group, on the whole, has been far from stellar. However, a team could have six All-Stars on defense and it still won't have a great goals against average unless the forwards make a consistent commitment to backchecking and going to the right places in the defensive zone. The Flyers forwards don't do that with nearly enough consistency (and, really, they never have during the Peter Laviolette era).

It has often been said that defense and goaltending are symbiotic. Over time, they are going to elevate one another or, if one is consistently subpar, it's going to drag down the other area. If a team has no faith in its ability to get clutch saves, it correspondingly presses too much offensively. It's a vicious cycle.

GOALTENDING -- Not meeting expectations

I was on the fence with this one. Despite a poor early won-loss record, Ilya Bryzgalov was the Flyers most consistently good player for the first three or four weeks of the season. Ever since then, he has been a very ordinary goaltender who has not been part of the solution. Ultimately, his .899 save percentage on the season is unacceptable, regardless of defensive breakdowns in front of him.

I cover the Dallas Stars as well as the Flyers, and I can most assuredly tell you that the Dallas team defense is every bit as prone to horrific breakdowns as the Flyers, arguably even more so. Yet somehow Kari Lehtonen has still managed to be one of the top goaltenders in the NHL over the last few years, including a 2.23 GAA and .929 save percentage this year.

On many nights, Lehtonen singlehandedly lifts the Stars to a higher level of competitiveness. It CAN be done if a goalie is locked in. If Lehtonen can do it, Bryzgalov can as well. That is what the Flyers expect -- and need -- of Bryzgalov, and he doesn't even have to do it as frequently as Lehtonen does in Dallas.

It has gotten to the point where every time there is a breakaway or 2-on-1, the Flyers' best hope is for the attacking team to make a mistake because otherwise the next faceoff is going to be at center ice. Beyond those team-related issues, the bad rebounds have returned. The poor work on the stick side is back.

MEETING EXPECTATIONS (FORWARDS): Jakub Voracek, Wayne Simmonds, Zac Rinaldo, Matt Read, Brayden Schenn, Ruslan Fedotenko, Tye McGinn.

NOT MEETING EXPECTATIONS (FORWARDS): Claude Giroux (harsh, but he has to be a top 5 player in NHL to meet the expectations placed on him), Scott Hartnell (injury but also a slow start), Danny Briere, Sean Couturier, Max Talbot, Mike Knuble.

SAMPLE SIZE TOO SMALL (FORWARDS): Simon Gagne

MEETING EXPECTATIONS (DEFENSE): Nicklas Grossmann, Luke Schenn

NOT MEETING EXPECTATIONS (DEFENSE): Kimmo Timonen (injuries likely the main reason), Braydon Coburn, Bruno Gervais, Erik Gustafsson (borderline case), Kurtis Foster

SAMPLE SIZE TOO SMALL (DEFENSE): Andrej Meszaros

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Don Cherry Twitter said:
4 hrs Don Cherry ‏@CoachsCornerCBC
1. 5 years ago I went into a pet store to buy a goldfish. I saw 2 older fish in a small tank stuck in the plants. They couldn't move.

2. I asked the guy "how come?" He said "somebody dropped them off they didn't want them anymore. I don't know what to do with them."

3. I took them, the guy still charged me 60 bucks. I have a great 100 gallon tank and only 2 fish. They have really enjoyed life. They have

4. Always been together. But I see one is now having a tough time and he's not swimming right. Kind of sad.

0233_fm2x.gif

ShaneB

Link? What happened :lol

Fuck MMA, that's not a sport, that's modern bread&games :p

Was backtracking the thread for anyone else for SC2 interest.... and I see you posting this.

I thought we were friends Smiley... no longer!!!!!! :(
not arguing against the fact that the mma thread is pretty insane 80% of the time.. but so is this place.. remember those dark lockout days.... *shudder*

Curufinwe

I think Grossmann has played pretty well on defense and laid plenty of big hits which is his role. Him and Schenn are the only regular defensemen with a positive +/-. He's also carrying Coburn who is regressing right before our eyes; he has 17 minor penalties already, most in the league. For a big guy with great mobility that's inexcusable.

Kimmo has also given away a lot of penalties (and at least two penalty shots, plus the play last week where Nash brushed past his hook and scored anyway) but at least he has the excuse of being old and injured.

I think Grossmann has played pretty well on defense and laid plenty of big hits which is his role. Him and Schenn are the only regular defensemen with a positive +/-. He's also carrying Coburn who is regressing right before our eyes; he has 17 minor penalties already, most in the league. For a big guy with great mobility that's inexcusable.

Kimmo has also given away a lot of penalties (and at least two penalty shots, plus the one where Nash brushed his hook and scored anyway) but at least he has the excuse of being old and injured.

I'm not about to defend Coburn, but I swear I never see Grossman in position.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Rangers going with the same lineup that we had against the Caps on Sunday, only with Hank back in net. Sabres are going to be without Ryan Miller and Tyler Ennis.

Sounds promising...

Holiday

Banned
Wish the Bergie line was more consistent game in and game out. Really think that's a good combination to stick with but Hitch seems to be mixing up lines again in practice (that's getting a little tiresome).

I think I like Perron on that line a lot. It seems like he's able to do more than with Oshie/Backes.

Top Bottom