• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL March 2013 |OT| Black History Forever

Quick

Banned
BASED ROSTER SPOT OPENED!

ib1aLHxD2lp4OA.gif

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
#Pens have won 7 straight, 12-3-0 in last 15; #Bruins 10-2-1 in last 13; #Habs 12-1-3 in last 15. Who blinks first?
Hopefully the Bruins tight schedule in the 2nd half comes back to bite them in the ass.

Damnit Pronger.

Seemed to fit...

I could see that being his reaction after watching the meltdown against the Pens in person!

On a possibly promising note, NCAA free agents should be freeing up soon, right? The Flyers generally keep a good eye on them.

McKenzie mentioned DeKeyser (D), Sustr (D), and Laganiere (RW) are probably the top 3 this year, and that Kellan Lain (C) (a center--thus, must be a Homer-target) might be signed soon.

Anyone heard much about them? I'll I've caught has mostly been Sustr's size.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
You mean sent down thus bypassing waivers?

No idea why we would waive Holzer after signing him to a two-year extension, lol.

We will know tomorrow if gardiner is in likely in place of holzer- edit: actually doesn't look it. Marlies are at home meaning leafs and marlies were both in the MCC- so gardiner not practicing appears to have nothing to do with the leafs in terms of call up because they'd just do it one shot call up and send down and he's go across the hall from one rink to the other

If he is... We are adding 97 points (last year) of players and removing like 5-10 points

That's a huge shot in the arm- and having komarov and mcclement cycling through our offensive lines will FINALLY stop and give us 3 scoring lines again

Will be super interesting to see what happens with lupul and kulemin with kadri... 2 guys that can finish and make space for kadri to make some plays ... Almost a makeshift top line if lupul gets up to game speed

Tabris

Can someone answer me this, as I haven't been paying attention, why are the Flyers sucking? Is it strictly goaltending or is there a bunch of things? What happened to Giroux? Is it strictly because Hartnell's out?

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Can someone answer me this, as I haven't been paying attention, why are the Flyers sucking? Is it strictly goaltending or is there a bunch of things? What happened to Giroux? Is it strictly because Hartnell's out?

Flyers D is even worse than Detroit's, and that means quite a bit.also, the few they have are injured.and then there's always bryz, although I don't think he's been as abysmal as we all like to make it sound.

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
Grabner injured, so Ullstrom gets the call up. Ullstrom promptly injured, out 3-4 weeks.

Maybe it'll finally be Nino time? (it'll probably be Joenssuu)

Red_Man

Ugh...anything new on Bourque and Diaz?
Bourque feels better but still has some symptoms, should be back sooner then later. I don't think Diaz will be back for a while still. Seems like Bergevin is bringing up the D man from Hamilton to see if they can fill in the 6th d spot, if not he'll find someone at the deadline. Kaberle can continue to be a fat ass.

Tabris

Grabner injured, so Ullstrom gets the call up. Ullstrom promptly injured, out 3-4 weeks.

Maybe it'll finally be Nino time? (it'll probably be Joenssuu)

Wow, a NYI fan. Do you think now that got your new colosseum (well kinda), that Wang let go of the purse strings so you can both keep / get new players? Brooklyn has to help attract a bit more players than LI did.

Everyone's bad.

Coaching is pretty much running the same thing without any adjustments.

Bryz is not in his early season form. When he's in the zone, he gets your hopes up and makes you think the contract might be worth it. He hasn't been outright bad--but not playing up to the contract.

Defense--some individual good efforts, but not effective together. Some nights Kimmo is clearly low on gas, LSchenn's generally been a bright spot, Grossman has a few blunders but looks good overall. Coburn has been languishing lately. Bottom pairing's bleh. I want Gustaffson up regularly, but he got sent down again.

Forwards--individual flashes of where they should be, but it's not happening. Couturier's lost offensively, Giroux gets shut down by opposing teams. Voracek's been reliable. Hartnell's trying to play with energy, but hasn't been coordinated. Briere's playing his usual self defensively, and not making up for it by scoring. The forwards as a whole aren't doing their job defensively or offensively, which is the biggest problem. If they supported the defense better, the defense wouldn't look horrible, and Bryz would probably be looking a lot better too. They're not scoring much either, so they're just kinda there.

If they get sparked, I could see things turning around (not enough to make the playoffs, but enough to not want to shoot myself.)

But at this point, I'm basically hoping we can get a first for Briere, draft solidly, and maybe pick up a decent college UFA or two. Lottery pick would be nice.

It'll hopefully be a useful offseason.

Tabris

Fun historical fact from the Pens game yesterday:

screenshot%25202013-03-15%2520at%25207.38.51%2520AM.png

I heard Canucks were the first team to ever have a spin-o-rama shootout goal in a 2-1 game after been behind 2 goals and catching up to lose in the shootout in the previous game where there was more than 35 shots.

Red_Man

Pens are probably my 2nd or 3rd most hated team, but I love that Dupuis picture of his starting at his hands. Made last nights Pens victory worth it.

Everyone's bad.

Coaching is pretty much running the same thing without any adjustments.

Bryz is not in his early season form. When he's in the zone, he gets your hopes up and makes you think the contract might be worth it. He hasn't been outright bad--but not playing up to the contract.

Defense--some individual good efforts, but not effective together. Some nights Kimmo is clearly low on gas, LSchenn's generally been a bright spot, Grossman has a few blunders but looks good overall. Coburn has been languishing lately. Bottom pairing's bleh. I want Gustaffson up regularly, but he got sent down again.

Forwards--individual flashes of where they should be, but it's not happening. Couturier's lost offensively, Giroux gets shut down by opposing teams. Voracek's been reliable. Hartnell's trying to play with energy, but hasn't been coordinated. Briere's playing his usual self defensively, and not making up for it by scoring. The forwards as a whole aren't doing their job defensively or offensively, which is the biggest problem. If they supported the defense better, the defense wouldn't look horrible, and Bryz would probably be looking a lot better too. They're not scoring much either, so they're just kinda there.

If they get sparked, I could see things turning around (not enough to make the playoffs, but enough to not want to shoot myself.)

But at this point, I'm basically hoping we can get a first for Briere, draft solidly, and maybe pick up a decent college UFA or two. Lottery pick would be nice.

It'll hopefully be a useful offseason.

I agree with all of this except Grossman. He's an abomination. Also, I would like a first and a mediocre roster player for Briere.

EDIT: In my dream scenario we trade Briere to a bubble team who misses the playoffs and have two chances at a high pick in the new lottery.

Last night, the Canucks had $4.2M on a healthy scratch (Ballard), $4.25M on a third-line player (Booth), and $4-5M on a backup (Luongo/Schneider). That's $12M they could spend on a top-six winger and a third-line centre. They can probably get by with the roster they have now, but if they want to make a serious run at the Cup they're going to have to shed some of that salary.

Lets get the annual tradition going early. What would you give for Count. Gocula.

Samus4145

Which of the following players would you want taking a shootout?
Sidney Crosby (Penguins): 17.94%
Pavel Datsyuk (Red Wings): 20.29%
Ryan Getzlaf (Ducks): 12.35%
Patrick Kane (Blackhawks): 21.47%
Frans Nielsen (Islanders): 13.53%
Jonathan Toews (Blackhawks): 14.41%

Really?

edit: For Clarification, I am wondering why his % is so low. I know how epic he is in the shootout.

Spl1nter

Really?

He is one of the best shootout players in the league. Look up some stats bro.

Merguson

Banned
Grigorenko sent back to juniors. Couldn't find a spot for him on this loaded roster.

What a year. :lol

Should have just let him play in the juniors.

Good thing the Leafs let Rielly play in the juniors as we already have puck-moving defensemen in the line-up such as Liles and Gardiner.. oh wait..

I agree with all of this except Grossman. He's an abomination. Also, I would like a first and a mediocre roster player for Briere.

EDIT: In my dream scenario we trade Briere to a bubble team who misses the playoffs and have two chances at a high pick in the new lottery.

Haven't been able to watch as much recently as I'd like (i.e. studying's been more worth the time investment than seeing horrible things happen) so I've likely been missing Grossman abomination-ing.

Though Briere has a great track record in the playoffs, his current play and NMC issues have me just hoping for a first. More/the bubble dream would be great, of course.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Should have just let him play in the juniors.

Good thing the Leafs let Rielly play in the juniors as we already have puck-moving defensemen in the line-up such as Liles and Gardiner.. oh wait..

There is no way in hell I would want Rielly playing in the NHL right now. He's too pretty.

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER

Really?

One of the game's few elite shootout guys. Do some research.

Top Bottom