• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nikkei News - Wii sells out on 1st day, nearly 400,000 sold

farnham said:
okay.. how about this

copy connectivity
copy xboxlive
copy motion sensors
copy rumble
copy analogstick
copy d pad
copy copy copy

You forgot to mention their shady business tactics (The "Require" comparison between the Playstation 3/Xbox 360, for example), bully-tactics against retailers, and their complete loss of touch with their consumer base.

farnham said:
a ferrari in the gameindustry would be a highend PC...

PS3 is.. or is trying to be a mass market product..

A Ferrari in the gaming industry would be a super-computer. You can build a high end PC for $2000~3000. A Ferrari costs many, many times what a normal car does.

disco

pswii60 said:
This time MS and Sony are ready for a long cycle - both have got cutting-edge hardware that are going to be pumping out amazing graphics and 'experiences' for years to come.

Wii may be doing extremely well now, but what about a couple of years down the line when more people have switched to HD, and when the PS3 and 360 have tons of peripheral-based games?

This is a long cycle, and only time - not launch sales figures - will tell how the end market-share winner will be.

But I don't want Wii to win by a huge margin. I like my HD gaming thank you very much, and don't want developers to jump ship just because of cheaper development costs.

HD enabled Black DVD playing Wii to reawaken US market next November + SSBB + SMG = US no.1!!!

I personally actually think that may work, it's what they did effectively with the DS to the DS Lite, gave it that extra little push (with great software too) making people rush out in droves to buy it.

Mato

ORANGUTAN said:
seriously, it's like sony screwed all their girlfriends... or in gaf's case, boyfriends.

what have they done except give us awesome games for the last 10 years?

Why are you so bitter anyway?

ORANGUTAN

Banned
uhh, how do they have a lot of stuff in common?

wii games are completely different... they're last-gen in terms of tech. wii and ps3 competing for third-party support? are you serious? they're completely different consoles. the games have different development times, different costs, different genres, etc. there will be no multi-platform games that are built for ps3/360 and get ported to wii. why? because it's just not possible to port next-gen games with what wii's got under the hood. i'm not referring to last-gen ports here, but ps3/360 games built from the ground-up for their platforms.

again, it's like comparing kia's market to ferrari's. another analogy; does the arena football league directly compete with the nfl? well, according to the responses above, they do, because they're both selling us football. ps3 and wii both play games! have none of you taken a basic marketing class? laughable.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
ORANGUTAN said:
seriously, it's like sony screwed all their girlfriends... or in gaf's case, boyfriends.

There are very few that actually want Sony to fail. I think most are just excited that Nintendo is succeeding after a poor showing last gen.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
ORANGUTAN said:
No constructor has ever succeeded in winning 3 gens in a row. Sony destroyed competition for 10 years indeed, and it won't likely be the case in the next 5 years. But there's nothing wrong with the PS3. It's actually an INCREDIBLE machine that most of us wish they could afford. It's just Wii is more in touch with what the market wants: a cheap machine, providing fun games, with fresh controls that feel more natural to most people.

Snaku

Banned
snakuprintsmoneyxn7.jpg

If you think Sony and Nintendo aren't competing for similar markets, you're severely out of touch with reality.

The videogame industry cannot be compared to the automobile industry. It is not nearly as large or complex.

The point here is there are three systems vying for consumer dollars. The hardcore do not count, as they will buy whatever comes down the tube. What counts is the mass market. Sony does not appeal to the mass market this gen as they did last gen. No casual videogame consumer is going to pay $600 dollars for a PS3.

ethelred

ORANGUTAN said:

wii games are completely different... they're last-gen in terms of tech. wii and ps3 competing for third-party support? are you serious? they're completely different consoles. the games have different development times, different costs, different genres, etc. there will be no multi-platform games that are built for ps3/360 and get ported to wii. why? because it's just not possible to port next-gen games with what wii's got under the hood. i'm not referring to last-gen ports here, but ps3/360 games built from the ground-up for their platforms.

again, it's like comparing kia's market to ferrari's. another analogy; does the arena football league directly compete with the nfl? well, according to the responses above, they do, because they're both selling us football. ps3 and wii both play games! have none of you taken a basic marketing class? laughable.

It doesn't matter how you evaluate its technology or the viability and worthiness of the technology behind its games. They are both gaming consoles -- they are in competition with one another. They are competing for the same pool of casual gamers , and they are competing for finite developer support. It does not matter how easy it is to port, it doesn't matter if there are different dev times or different genres. Publisher support costs money, and is limited. Both systems want more of it. Any support the Wii is getting is support the PS3 isn't going to be getting, and vice versa.

These two machines are competing. Stop being a dumbass.

ORANGUTAN said:
the games have different development times, different costs, different genres, etc. there will be no multi-platform games that are built for ps3/360 and get ported to wii. why? because it's just not possible to port next-gen games with what wii's got under the hood. i'm not referring to last-gen ports here, but ps3/360 games built from the ground-up for their platforms.

just keep telling youself that and you'll be fine :lol

only first party studios have any real incentive to take full advantage of the hardware. 3rd party publishers go where the install base is.

Mato

ORANGUTAN said:
bitter.. come on, man. it's not like it isn't true.. i mean there's nothing wrong with that, but it's pretty accurate.

What are you saying exactly

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
ORANGUTAN said:

If Wii has a significantly greater amount of market share than PS3, devs will start making games for Wii that they initially planned for PS3. They are competing, just because they are taking different approaches doesn't mean they are not in direct competition for the consumers money and the developers games. No one is going to agree with you here because you're wrong.

Elios83

VicAlpha said:
The games shouldn't be a problem at all

I really don't think so,their 2007 right now looks incredibly weak. PS3 has the most wanted games for 2007 (like Virtua Fighter 5, MGS4,FFXIII, Devil May Cry 4,Winning Eleven,Monster Hunter 3 and more).
Plus Wii has definetly its share of weak points,for example it could be the house for an unprecedented level of garbage titles with a really low number of important titles (of course all made by Nintendo) and that the weak hardware will be a strong issue for gamers in the mid to long term.There's really nothing set at this point being realistic.

ORANGUTAN

Banned
marc^o^ said:
what the market wants: a cheap machine, providing fun games, with fresh controls that feel more natural to most people.
are you sure that's what the market wants? or what nintendo tells you they want?

ORANGUTAN said:
i don't get it, why are ps3 and wii sales being directly compared?

do people compare ford sales to ferrari?

the wii has last gen tech. nintendo has admittedly said it's not a 'next-gen' system. are you guys just looking for revenge because sony singlehandedly usurped nintendo from the top spot? these shouldn't even be compared, they don't even have the same target markets.

So the average Ford costs $25.000 and the average Ferrari $55.000, right?

It is absolutely crazy to believe that there is no competition between Wii and PS3 or Wii and X360. They are all consoles and most people will only buy one. If Nintendo can convince a person that the Wii is the way to go than that person most likely won't buy a PS3 or a X360.

ORANGUTAN

Banned
ethelred said:
They are competing for the same pool of casual gamers , and they are competing for finite developer support.
i must have been mistaken, i thought nintendo was mainly aiming for the non-gamer market. you know, grandma and grandpa.

Neomoto

So, I see that someone FINALLY outsold the DS for the first time in a whole year.
Ironic that it's Nintendo themself to do the job :lol

And not only that, Nintendo just became marketleader in Japan within a single day.

It will be interessting to see the software sales (and VC sales when Nintendo reveals them).

gkryhewy

ORANGUTAN said:

What kind of point are you trying to make? Do you think Sony would be satisfied with a tiny customer base, as Ferrari does? Would third parties be happy about that?

And yes, the AFL does compete against the NFL. All live entertainment products compete in the same space. Basic marketing class? If you've taken one, I'm shocked.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
ORANGUTAN said:
i must have been mistaken, i thought nintendo was mainly aiming for the non-gamer market. you know, grandma and grandpa.

You are mistaken. They are aiming at EVERYONE.

Yes the wii 2007 lineup looks weak...

lol, imo.

SSX Blur
Wii Play
Warioware: Smooth Moves
No More Heroes
Super Mario Galaxy
Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Sonic and the Secret Rings
Forever Blue
Kororinpa
Wing Island
Disaster: Day of Crisis
MLB 08 (I think...)
Project HAMMER
Dragon Quest Swords
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers
Prince of Persia
Kirby
Super Paper Mario
Mario Strikers Charged
Battallion Wars 2
And other games that haven't been announced yet...

ethelred

ORANGUTAN said:

:lol

You are ridiculous.

Do you also believe that the PS3 will take you to the fourth dimension of reality? Swallow every bit of corporate PR that they attempt to shoot out for you?

Nintendo is aiming for everyone that played games this gen (PS2, GCN, Xbox) as surely as Sony is and Microsoft is. They're looking to expand beyond that as well -- sure. Just as Sony is hoping to expand beyond that by appealing to hardcore non-gaming techies with BluRay.

ORANGUTAN said:
can anyone back me up here? i'm gaping. is this place now completely saturated by nintendo fans?

why would we back anyone with flawed logic? your whole ford vs. ferrai argument was knocked for a loop.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
ORANGUTAN said:
can anyone back me up here? i'm gaping. is this place now completely saturated by nintendo fans?

You're not going to get any support because you aren't being rational.

ORANGUTAN said:

Replace wii and PS3 with DS and PSP and eat your words for they are meaningless.

Fjord said:
Has there ever been a console that didn't sell out almost everywhere in its first week?

i think the original Xbox didn't...even the Nintendo DS didn't sell out initially. correct me if i'm wrong.

ethelred

ORANGUTAN said:
i corrected it with the arena football vs. nfl comparison.

Cool, we're getting... closer, I guess. How about next time we try a video game console vs. a video game console analogy.

ORANGUTAN said:

They both go after the same market. That's all that matters because now the comparisons are perfectly valid. Your analogies are extremely off.

1. Ferrari doesn't cater to a significant portion of the market whereas Sony and Nintendo both do.
2. A Ferrari would be more analogous to a high end computer, something you failed to address. A PS3 is relatively cheap as well. I don't find 600 dollars to be too much. It's only slightly double the Wii's price hence valid comparisons can be made.
3. The point of football is ridiculous. They would be competing with each other since they both sell football to the same consumer right? Of course the situation is off. Nintendo and Sony are close to each other in consumer mindshare.

Regarding the point on cross platform games.

1. That does nothing to defend your horrible point on why comparisons are invalid.
2. It is empirically disproven. Marvel Alliance and Call of Duty 3 indicate ports are possible.
3. You never warrant why they aren't possible in the first place. The Wii's weakness is the lack of an ability to push massive amounts of textures. Reducing graphical eye candy is not as hard as you make it out to be. Your tech knowledge is clearly lacking.
4. With your logic, even if the Wii can't have games ported from the 360 or the PS3, it is highly unlikely that ports can exist between the PS3 and the 360 if the game is "built from the ground-up for their platforms." The architectural differences are vast.

"wii games are completely different... they're last-gen in terms of tech. wii and ps3 competing for third-party support? are you serious? they're completely different consoles."

1. It is possible that some future smash hits will choose to not utilize the graphical prowess of the PS3. In that regards, yes, they compete with each other for 3rd party support. How the early phase of the console wars play out will probably determine whether or not the next games that are being planned will turn out and which console they will be released on. There were many stunning games on the PS2 that ignored the more powerful Gamecube and Xbox. No reason why the same won't happen this time if Nintendo pulls off a coup.
2. How are Wii games last-gen in terms of tech? The motion controller is also technology and it wasn't last gen. Also, Wii is more powerful than any other last-gen system. That, by definition, makes it not last-gen.
3. I do agree that the PS3 and the Wii are "completely different consoles." They look different and are made by different companies. Yep. That's about the only flawless point of your post. :lol

"have none of you taken a basic marketing class?"

1. Clearly Sony hasn't taken the class you've taken. They market the PS3 to everyone. That's why we see PS3 commercials but not Ferrari commercials.
2. If your class taught you that those analogies can be properly used to describe the gaming market, you should get a refund.

As you would say, "laughable."

Krowley

pswii60 said:
But I don't want Wii to win by a huge margin. I like my HD gaming thank you very much, and don't want developers to jump ship just because of cheaper development costs.

If the wii does win by a big margin... Or even just wins in japan by a big margin... It's probably a sign that hd gaming was too much too soon.

If the price difference between nintendo's console and the ps3/360 results in better mass market penetration for the wii, you can blame the higher prices of the other two consoles on HD. They could have made less expensive systems with similair graphics if they weren't supporting high definition displays. And if they were both 300 bucks, nintendo wouldn't be in this position, even with their fancy controller.

In fact, i expect the wii would be a more powerfull system if the premium 360 had launched at 300 bucks. Nintendo gambled that they would be able to play the price card and the ps3's overblown tech (blu ray) is giving them a real chance to do that.

I think the 400 + pricetags of the other two systems put them firmly into the "techie, early adopter" range while the wii is pure mass market in every concievable way.

But... It's too early right now to make any reliable predictions. Sony just doesn't have any consoles out there and they don't have a launch game that can compete with zelda/wario. I don't know how japan will react to the ps3 when it becomes easy to find and has a few popular games. They may buy tons of them.

If the wii tracks similar to the ds after a year and a half, sony won't be able to keep up and they won't be able to come back, but the wii would have to be incredibly successful to do that.

ziran

moku said:
This is Nintendo's largest console launch, ever.(Home console)
i think you're right. wii looks like its nintendo's strongest home console launch in recent memory.

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Wii Sports and Wii Play are sold out at amazon....lol, Zelda isn't.
i'm not surprised. i think wii play will be at the top of the charts this week followed by wii sports, tales/warioware, then zelda.

CoolTrick said:
This thread reeks too much of jumping the gun on predictions...

Nintendo being first isn't guaranteed at all.
i agree.

this is a great launch, but not much else can be concluded imo. we'll know in the coming weeks the strength the launch line up has in selling hw.

castle007 said:
wow, great numbers :D

Isn't it also possible that they are just estimating how many were sold???
i thought about that, and you might be right, but this is coming from nihon keizai shimbun, one of the worlds leading financial sites/papers, so if anyone would be privy to early sales data it would be them.

pswii60 said:
Wii may be doing extremely well now, but what about a couple of years down the line when more people have switched to HD, and when the PS3 and 360 have tons of peripheral-based games?
graphics are not high on the agenda of wii's target audience, so i wouldn't think the move to hd will have an effect on its popularity, to the extent, whether wii succeeds or fails graphics won't be a factor.

duderon said:
There are very few that actually want Sony to fail. I think most are just excited that Nintendo is succeeding after a poor showing last gen.
i agree. good competition makes better games for everyone.

Elios83 said:
I really don't think so,their 2007 right now looks incredibly weak. PS3 has the most wanted games for 2007 (like Virtua Fighter 5, MGS4,FFXIII, Devil May Cry 4,Winning Eleven,Monster Hunter 3 and more).
Plus Wii has definetly its share of weak points,for example it could be the house for an unprecedented level of garbage titles with a really low number of important titles (of course all made by Nintendo) and that the weak hardware will be a strong issue for gamers in the mid to long term.There's really nothing set at this point being realistic.
i disagree.

traditional gaming continues to decline in japan, to the extent the titles you've listed by no means guarantee ps3 will outsell wii.

if anything, wii's current line up for 2007 in japan, along with the hinted titles from nintendo, like wii motor sports, wii fitness, etc, is strong, when it comes to hw selling potential.

also, as i said above, graphics won't be a factor in wii's success or failure, imo.

farnham

Banned
monchi-kun said:
Jesus effin Christ...i wanna know what kind of hammer you're using because you NAILED IT SUCKA!!!!

ok, lets bring some sense into this. I don't mind copying...as long as it's an IMPROVEMENT.

if we fault people for copying then we'd only have one game per genre.

Lets see...

- D pad on PS compared to Nintendo D pad... not really improved
- Analog stick on PS compared to Nintendo Analog... not really improved
- Connectivity... Nope.. sorry but anything outside of Pokemon cannot use Connectivity properly... That mirror option on F1 is pure garbage..
- rumble... well sony stated themselves.. their rumble is ancient history now.. they dont want it.. too bad that gamers do..
- Motion sensor... Sixaxis Vs. Wiimote.. we will see..

farnham said:
- Connectivity... Nope.. sorry but anything outside of Pokemon cannot use Connectivity properly... That mirror option on F1 is pure garbage..

Check into the last PSP update for some real connectivity innovation.

I always felt the Wii would do well in Japan; personally I truly believe the Wii and DSL will own that country until the next next gen cycle. Japan is at a certain spot in terms of gaming, and Nintendo has done everything possible to reach that point. They got millions of older people to "train their brains", and now they're going to get even more older people to work out in the comfort of their homes with the Wii and games like Wii Sports or the inevitable Wii Exercise (get it? Wii Excercise?).

I have nothing against the PS3 and certainly no agenda towards it; it's success or failure certainly doesn't effect my sorry financial state. The same could be said of Nintendo for me. But right now, I think the PS3 isn't going to take off in Japan for awhile. The Xbox 360 sales are going to be a blueprint for the PS3 in some ways. For most of the year, the 360 barely sold in Japan. Now it's seeing big sales increases as the system sees more games aimed at Japan - mainly Blue Dragon. Until the PS3 gets a big time game everyone in Japan wants to play, I feel it's going to sell at the weekly rate the PS2 has sold at recently; maybe higher. '

But what is that game going to be? People here are quick to hype MGS4 and DMC4, but I don't see these games sparking anything in Japan. Both series have been declining in Japan as of late. No, instead Square Enix will determine when the PS3 really takes off imo. Obviously that means FFXIII, but it also means SE's decision on which system gets Dragon Quest IX will be a king maker. Does it go to the PS3, or the Wii, or even the PS2? Whichever system gets it will come out of that year extremely successful.

COME ON people, do you REALLY think we are going to get through 2007 without Brain Training Wii? And do you really think it isn't going to sell hardware [edited for redundancy]? Imagine team wiimote brain training! The possibilities are there and I have NO DOUBT that Iwata Een Zal Bom Droppen this game on Japan in 2007

farnham

Banned
seriously.. Sony has ****ed themselves the last years...

example GT series

they made a big show about GT 4 being teh online.. everybody was sold... how did that one turn out..?

then they started selling GT4 demo versions.. it sold about 1 million copies in Japan..

Sony said GT4 would go PSP... where is the game..?

Sony said GTHD would be a techdemo.. then they said it will be sold.. and now its gone... LOL!

Not impressive at all people, this just means sales for the follow weeks will be lower, since most people got it on the first day. Nintendo is only able to get high sales on day one by saturating the market with consoles. I for one am NOT impressed. Get to me when Wii catches up to Xbox 360 in Japan and the U.S.

Chittagong

Gold Member
farnham said:
seriously.. Sony has ****ed themselves the last years...

example GT series

they made a big show about GT 4 being teh online.. everybody was sold... how did that one turn out..?

then they started selling GT4 demo versions.. it sold about 1 million copies in Japan..

Sony said GT4 would go PSP... where is the game..?

Sony said GTHD would be a techdemo.. then they said it will be sold.. and now its gone... LOL!

LOL SONY FTL!

Oh wait this is a Nintendo thread

Top Bottom