• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nikkei News - Wii sells out on 1st day, nearly 400,000 sold

ethelred

Jammy said:
Does anybody have the U.S. NPD Xbox 360 LTD? We can then add this to the ~180,000 360 has sold in Japan and then get a pretty good estimate on Europe's (and elsewhere's) sales.

Is the system just at like 5 million worldwide?

NPD: 2,890,059

Bert

Man of Knowledge said:
So the only place Xbox360 is doing very well is the U.S?

:(. How can people not be getting one over a Wii or PS3 is beyond me.

As someone buying a Wii over a 360 let me enlighten you: I don't own a HD TV, and there is not one single game that screams "buy this console for me" on 360. Wii Sports alone does that for Wii, and it's cheaper.

The only thing I'm considering picking up a 360 for is so I can play PES, GTA, etc cheaper than I could on PS3, and they aren't out yet.

Deku

Banned
RE: Long cycle

This is sort of the new chic argument being used now that its clear the PS3 won't lead for some time to come and may have had its genesis in part from some of what Patcher said.

I highly doubt this will be reality. Nintendo also went by the same matra with the N64 and Cube with Peter Main's marathon runner vs. sprinter analogies.

The fact of the matter is, if Wii is in the market for the first 12 months and its leading pretty much everywhere, developers will shift support there, especially in all important Japan. Furthermore, the word of mouth and sales momentum Wii builds at retail will only snowball.

If a retail analyst for a particular chain looks at their financials and see Nintendo and Wii making up a large chunk of their revenues, which product do you think they will order more of next time around? which product will get more shelf space and promotion? And for retailers, it doesn't matter if it's a Nintendo branded game selling or a 3rd party branded game selling, it only matters to them a particular system is moving products and software.

Assuming of course Sony/MS has bled themselves to a point where they are weary of sticking to the 5 year cycle and decides to go for a longer cycle, it leaves them in a competitively weak position. Nintendo would love it. They could sit out wii for a full 6 years and launch the successor on year 7 well before Sony/MS wants to end their financially crippling PS3/X360 runs and when that happens Sony/MS will have to respond with their next gen consoles and it will play out a lot like how the PS2 launch played out. Sony had a full 6 years to milk the PSX/PSone and they still came out well ahead of both Nintendo and Microsoft. Sega tried to beat Sony of course, but the Saturn had a 2 year lifespan.

The above scenario of course assumes MS/Sony are in collusion about how long they want to keep their system around. Having launched their next-gen system before Nintendo and Sony, I would think Microsoft will be the first to launch a successfor once the market shakes out in a few years and they can determine how successful the 360 is.

Food for thought for those taking comfort in a supposed long lifecycle strategy for sony.

duk said:
Man of Knowledge is obviously a joke character, don't give him what he wants.

He's not a joke character, he's severely misguided. Fanboyism Kills

Face it, the Wii is here to stay. Personally I think Blue Dragon is going to cause the Xbox 360 to make record hardware first week sales.

Everyone wins as long as all three consoles provide awesome games. Why that is so hard to grasp is beyond me

no one posted this yet in this thread?

itprintswii208eco0.gif

duk

Banned
Man next gen is going to ramp up slowly due to 360 and PS3 price tags. Wii will ramp up much faster, but can Nintendo sustain it?

PhoenixDark said:
Face it, the Wii is here to stay. Personally I think Blue Dragon is going to cause the Xbox 360 to make record hardware first week sales.

Everyone wins as long as all three consoles provide awesome games. Why that is so hard to grasp is beyond me

wb Phoenix. :)

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
PhoenixDark said:

You and your joke posts. :lol

Tenacious-V

Thinks his PR is better than yours.
Jammy said:
Okay, so 360 sales are about 5.5 million worldwide as of now (including an estimate for Nov. NPD sales)?

There was a masive push for X360 in Canada this month as well with tons of promotions and bundles from Future Shop, Best Buy, and others. I'd put WW at close to, if not 6m.

ethelred

Tenacious-V said:
There was a masive push for X360 in Canada this month as well with tons of promotions and bundles from Future Shop, Best Buy, and others. I'd put WW at close to, if not 6m.

Well, I think you're ignoring the big push recently in Brazil and Ecuador. I'll root around in my ass for a minute... oh, found it. I'll put the WW at 6 point five million.

Fuzzy

Tenacious-V said:
I'd say 6.12 million. ;)

Tenacious-V

ethelred said:
Well, I think you're ignoring the big push recently in Brazil and Ecuador. I'll root around in my ass for a minute... oh, found it. I'll put the WW at 6 point five million.

Shit talk all you like, US doesn't represent everything. Everyone bases all expectations on NPD, but they don't even cover the huge country right above you guys.

Deku

Banned
ethelred said:

To be fair, Canada is a fairly significant chunk of the NA market, about 11-12%, so Ecaudor has nothing on us.

That said, I am aware of the big push and 'good deals' but everytime I walk into a store like Futureshop to find Wii accessories, the giant mountain of X360 piled up by the electronics dept. apears to be unchanged.

So I have to wonder if this big push is MS capitalizing on the Wii/PS3 sellouts or whether its a sign of desperation due to weak sales early in November or both.

We'll find out in a few weeks time.

E-phonk

Banned
I can understand that some people like to stay away from the sales threads these days, but why do they still act like it's the same situation as 2 years ago?

Also - powerful hardware never won a console war, it's the software that will sell systems. What will be the biggest and best selling game in 1-2 years? Nobody knows.

No one predicted the sims, gta3, nintendogs, brain training etc...

Fuzzy

Deku said:
To be fair, Canada is a fairly significant chunk of the NA market, about 11-12%, so Ecaudor has nothing on us.

That said, I am aware of the big push and 'good deals' but everytime I walk into a store like Futureshop to find Wii accessories, the giant mountain of X360 piled up by the electronics dept. apears to be unchanged.

So I have to wonder if this big push is MS capitalizing on the Wii/PS3 sellouts or whether its a sign of desperation due to weak sales early in November or both.

We'll find out in a few weeks time.
Isn't it more like 7%?

ethelred

Tenacious-V said:
Shit talk all you like, US doesn't represent everything. Everyone bases all expectations on NPD, but they don't even cover the huge country right above you guys.

I know. Canada's about 8-10% of the US market.

I'm just dismissive of anecdotal "there's been a big push" talk being used to come up with weird estimated numbers. :)

krypt0nian said:
wb Phoenix. :)

Thank you
kissbb1.gif

Fuzzy said:
You and your joke posts.

What? I'm being serious; Blue Dragon is going to spark 360 sales. The thing already is seeing pretty big jumps. I don't expect it to sell 20,000 systems a week, but I truly believe it could get to 10,000 solely do to that game.

Tenacious-V

ethelred said:
I know. Canada's about 8-10% of the US market.

I'm just dismissive of anecdotal "there's been a big push" talk being used to come up with weird estimated numbers. :)

If you look at pretty much all the fliers for futureshop, best buy, hell even walmart. It's the premium system, + 2-3 games, +sometimes extra controller, for $449.99. That's the cost of the premium system normally.

Deku

Banned
E-phonk said:
No one predicted the sims, gta3, nintendogs, brain training etc...

Yeah. The new Sony mantra appears to be decidely stodgy and backwards looking. The biggest selling point of the PS3 to casuals is all the great 'existing' franchises you've enjoyed in the last 10 years but prettier and some with half a waggle. I think we've heard that before with oh, you know, Nintendo's past efforts.

Wii will be interesting to watch because it offers the most potential for new IPs to emergy just by default of its control scheme. Of course it may well prove to be a failure, but as you've pointed out, the big IP of each generation tends to emerge really undetected and sometimes with a lot of resistance.

Gamers of course only care about known hits and its sequels, that's expected, but my eyes begin to glaze over when the bullet points I'm given to buying a product, like the PSP and like the PS3 is because I can now play GT in HD. Well at least they canned GTHD to make a completely new sequel.

farnham

Banned
Deku said:
RE: Long cycle

This is sort of the new chic argument being used now that its clear the PS3 won't lead for some time to come and may have had its genesis in part from some of what Patcher said.

I highly doubt this will be reality. Nintendo also went by the same matra with the N64 and Cube with Peter Main's marathon runner vs. sprinter analogies.

The fact of the matter is, if Wii is in the market for the first 12 months and its leading pretty much everywhere, developers will shift support there, especially in all important Japan. Furthermore, the word of mouth and sales momentum Wii builds at retail will only snowball.

If a retail analyst for a particular chain looks at their financials and see Nintendo and Wii making up a large chunk of their revenues, which product do you think they will order more of next time around? which product will get more shelf space and promotion? And for retailers, it doesn't matter if it's a Nintendo branded game selling or a 3rd party branded game selling, it only matters to them a particular system is moving products and software.

Assuming of course Sony/MS has bled themselves to a point where they are weary of sticking to the 5 year cycle and decides to go for a longer cycle, it leaves them in a competitively weak position. Nintendo would love it. They could sit out wii for a full 6 years and launch the successor on year 7 well before Sony/MS wants to end their financially crippling PS3/X360 runs and when that happens Sony/MS will have to respond with their next gen consoles and it will play out a lot like how the PS2 launch played out. Sony had a full 6 years to milk the PSX/PSone and they still came out well ahead of both Nintendo and Microsoft. Sega tried to beat Sony of course, but the Saturn had a 2 year lifespan.

The above scenario of course assumes MS/Sony are in collusion about how long they want to keep their system around. Having launched their next-gen system before Nintendo and Sony, I would think Microsoft will be the first to launch a successfor once the market shakes out in a few years and they can determine how successful the 360 is.

Food for thought for those taking comfort in a supposed long lifecycle strategy for sony.

Well EA is complaining about development costs.. and their revenue is at an alltime low (superman returns.. madden 360 and PS3... carbon.. etc)

it seems EA wants to redeem themselves through the Wii.. (Madden Wii, SSX Wii, Sims Wii)

Deku

Banned
Fuzzy said:
Isn't it more like 7%?

Dalthien (i think) has the Canada NPD doesn't he? I'm going by recent allotments by Sony/Nintendo to Canada.

Media repors indicate 40k PS3 were shipped to Canada of the 400k for Canada/USA, but that's probably been cut in line with overall shipment cuts.

The Nintendo PR from monday said 75k Wii went to Canada of total 600k to NA.

P90

Vormund said:
I just remembered that I had plans to put money into some Nintendo shares....argh I didn't get around to it.

DAMMIT >_<

I have stock in MS, Sony and Nintendo...via mutual funds.

threeball

Banned
why are you guys wasting your time with ORANGUTAN?

he has been banned many times for trolling nintendo in the past and is a well known nintendo hater. ignore his trolling remarks.

castle007

Banned
PhoenixDark said:

WTF, when were you unbanned??? :D

welcome back:)

Well EA is complaining about development costs.. and their revenue is at an alltime low (superman returns.. madden 360 and PS3... carbon.. etc)

To be fair, we have absolutely no idea what sales are like on Superman and NFS Carbon yet. Superman's probably a bomba, but I can't imagine NFS not selling some good numbers. Madden 360 is also far from a low seller, and I've no doubt Madden PS3 is going to do fine as well, despite showing up mid-season.

I agree that development costs are a huge issue this generation, and the Wii is going to reap some benefits from that.

threeball

Banned
Man of Knowledge said:

people aren't made of money

i barely had enough money to get a wii, and the wii's library appeals to me more, ive always liked nintendo products, i dont have an HDTV, zelda, etc.

[Nintex]

wow, Nintendo sure is on a roll, the only region that can turn the tide is Europe but the demand here is insane practicly every Wii is pre-orderd. I guess that they don't only carve out their own market(like analysts and such predicted), but have a big change of being number 1 this gen to. The lifespan of the system is what bothers me tough. Nintendo's software support already seems pretty weak for the first half of 2007...

Krowley

Man of Knowledge said:

Well speaking for myself, i really want a 360, and it already has a few killer apps from my perspective, but i have two issues..

1. Price - It's just barley out of my acceptable range for the premium system

2. Quality - Even after a year, 360's are still breaking at an unprecedented rate compared to just about any console EVER... so i'm waiting for the quality issues to get sorted out. I'd be more willing to risk the quality if the price wasn't so steep.

I'll get one eventually. I have to play oblivion and i'm not gonna be able to afford a ps3.

VerTiGo

Banned
[Nintex] said:
wow, Nintendo sure is on a roll, the only region that can turn the tide is Europe but the demand here is insane practicly every Wii is pre-orderd. I guess that they don't only carve out their own market(like analysts and such predicted), but have a big change of being number 1 this gen to. The lifespan of the system is what bothers me tough. Nintendo's software support already seems pretty weak for the first half of 2007...

Yeah, but how many launch games seemed to be last minute announcements? A whole lot were and I expect the same to happen. I'm sure we'll be hearing about a lot of new games in January that will hit retail soon after they're announced. .. most might be ports, however, but still.

E-phonk

Banned
Afaik, the european situation (or at least for Belgium) is that the preorders are now filled for the launch + second shipment.

The situation here is a lot different then japan/us, in that sense that we didn't have a fixed preorder date, you could preorder since april-march or something. It's not so common to have lines waiting here. There are a few midnight launches (I'm going at one on thursday) but I doubt you'll see people lining up since everything is sold out anyway for those who didn't preorder.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Man of Knowledge said:
:( only 200K Xbox360 have been sold in Japan? Wow.

I chalk that up to Japanese Xenophobia, them refusing to by good American Products. If the Xbox360 was from a Japanese company it would be selling millions there by now.

Which is why Apple cannot make a dent in the Japanese market.

edit: beaten like 5 times lol

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Nintendo studios know the wii technology by heart now. There's no learning curve: it's a GC turbo. They have many assets they can reuse from previous GC games. In other words: development times will be short. Now let's consider this: Nintendo only released few GC games in 2006. Why is that? Because they were already working on wii titles of course. So about the 2007 lineup, why are so few games announced? Obvious answer: Nintendo wants 3rd parties to get great sales, and thus get more support from them in the future.

Besides Mario Galaxy, Metroïd Prime, Smash Bro, Mario Party, Pokemon, Brain Academy all are system sellers. And there will be many more, in 2007.

E-phonk

Banned
Krowley said:
Well speaking for myself, i really want a 360, and it already has a few killer apps from my perspective, but i have two issues..

1. Price - It's just barley out of my acceptable range for the premium system

2. Quality - Even after a year, 360's are still breaking at an unprecedented rate compared to just about any console EVER... so i'm waiting for the quality issues to get sorted out. I'd be more willing to risk the quality if the price wasn't so steep.

I'll get one eventually. I have to play oblivion and i'm not gonna be able to afford a ps3.
Idem. I'll consider a x360 ofter a 100 pricedrop (premium for core price) and the new chipsets that make it less noisy/warm.

Viva pinata is the only game that really interests me, maybe kameo but I heard mixed reports about it.

Played GoW and found it to be mediocre - it did some nice things but nothing that really interests me (I don't like shooters on any consoles, only pc).

duk

Banned
Hey I'll agree with you, I didn't want to pay 400 bones for a gaming console however I got a really good deal on mines (200 after rebates) so I jumped. I usually don't get a system until the 2nd year.

Krowley

E-phonk said:
Idem. I'll consider a x360 ofter a 100 pricedrop (premium for core price) and the new chipsets that make it less noisy/warm.

Viva pinata is the only game that really interests me, maybe kameo but I heard mixed reports about it.

Played GoW and found it to be mediocre - it did some nice things but nothing that really interests me (I don't like shooters on any consoles, only pc).

For me on the 360...

Gears of war seems very appealing

Oblivion is the sequel to my favorite RPG of last gen and i love the open ended gameplay of the elder scrolls series.

Ninja gaiden 2 is almost certainly coming for the system and NG was my second favorite game of last gen.

Viva looks awesome. I'm not opposed to sandbox/creation games.

Dead rising is very sweet.

and there are other games (mass effect, too human, fallout 3 and bioshock).. that look appealing down the road. I think the software lineup for the 360 is great for western games (particularly pc ports), which is also what attracted me to xbox 1.

edit// oh yeah... GTA 4.. i have to at least try that. I have a love/hate relationship with the series but i always like to give them a try.

Furoba

Number 2 said:
Which is why Apple cannot make a dent in the Japanese market.

edit: beaten like 5 times lol

Forgetting about iPod are we?

I say the real battle only starts when all companies can produce their hardware in sufficiënt quantities, and when all hardware is available worldwide...
Still, how many months before Wii passes Xbox 360 LTD sales? :lol

Krowley

Furoba said:
Forgetting about iPod are we?

I say the real battle only starts when all companies can produce their hardware in sufficiënt quantities, and when all hardware is available worldwide...
Still, how many months before Wii passes Xbox 360 LTD sales? :lol

I think they have already passed them in japan (unless people in this thread are mistaken)

If you're talking worldwide... That will be a bit tougher but if they actually catch MS and pass them that will be a big deal.

Top Bottom