• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nikkei News - Wii sells out on 1st day, nearly 400,000 sold

Man of Knowledge said:
Not impressive at all people, this just means sales for the follow weeks will be lower, since most people got it on the first day. Nintendo is only able to get high sales on day one by saturating the market with consoles. I for one am NOT impressed. Get to me when Wii catches up to Xbox 360 in Japan and the U.S.

Halfway there. This probably puts Nintendo above the 360 in Japan :lol

Man of Knowledge said:
Not impressive at all people, this just means sales for the follow weeks will be lower, since most people got it on the first day. Nintendo is only able to get high sales on day one by saturating the market with consoles. I for one am NOT impressed. Get to me when Wii catches up to Xbox 360 in Japan and the U.S.

:lol sarcasm?

Somnia

To all the people complaining about HD with the Wii... ya we may not have HD this go around with Nintendo's system ,but if Wii turns out to be as big of a system as alot of think it will be the next system (in what 6-7 years? I think the 5 year life cycle is coming to an end with the cost of making games) when HDTV's are a much higher margin I can see Nintendo basically making Wii 2 with 360 type of graphics which of course will be weaker than microsoft and sony's next console ,but hey whatever.

farnham said:
downloading demos or old games..?

check out animal crossing for GC.. you can do that..

So you skipped the remote play part?

Rancid Mildew said:
Halfway there. This probably puts Nintendo above the 360 in Japan :lol

That's like bragging about getting out of bed in the morning.

farnham

Banned
TheKingsCrown said:
COME ON people, do you REALLY think we are going to get through 2007 without Brain Training Wii? And do you really think it isn't going to sell hardware [edited for redundancy]? Imagine team wiimote brain training! The possibilities are there and I have NO DOUBT that Iwata Een Zal Bom Droppen this game on Japan in 2007

i really hate Nintendogs... but that game sold more then any FF or MGS game in 2005 and 2006.. so.. imagine Nintendogs Wii... will Nintendo shun it..? i dont think so..

Not sure why people are even bringing FFXIII into this discussion anyway, we won't see that game until late 2008 AT THE EARLIEST.

farnham said:
i really hate Nintendogs... but that game sold more then any FF or MGS game in 2005 and 2006.. so.. imagine Nintendogs Wii... will Nintendo shun it..? i dont think so..

I am not sure that the increased precision of the Wii adds anything to Nintendogs. But I think it adds about 5000 things to Brain Training and Iwata would be stupid not to have that game come out by mid 2k7

krypt0nian said:
So you skipped the remote play part?

That's like bragging about getting out of bed in the morning.

Haha you are right but for some reason this guy thinks it is an important milestone. So I guess NIntendo has roxxored his boxxors

ORANGUTAN

Banned
krypt0nian said:
Replace wii and PS3 with DS and PSP and eat your words for they are meaningless.
do you not think before you speak in person as well? are people still doing the handheld/console comparisons? sony had zero marketshare in handhelds. nintendo had a massive monopoly. console and handheld success cannot, and should not, be compared.

anyways, i've said my piece. not gonna get a 3rd ban for criticizing nintendo. just not worth it, guys. in one ear, out the other.

:( only 200K Xbox360 have been sold in Japan? Wow.

I chalk that up to Japanese Xenophobia, them refusing to by good American Products. If the Xbox360 was from a Japanese company it would be selling millions there by now.

farnham

Banned
TheKingsCrown said:
I am not sure that the increased precision of the Wii adds anything to Nintendogs. But I think it adds about 5000 things to Brain Training and Iwata would be stupid not to have that game come out by mid 2k7

oh well.. how about making it a full fledged dog traning game...

right now Nintendogs is nothing but a cute little techdemo... with 3 minigames...

graphically pretty interesting but thats it...

and yes i enjoyed the game too... i bought the labrador version.. and i loved it for about 3 month.. (now i cant go back to it.. cuz i know my puppies will starve)

i could also imagine something like Nintendogs 2 DS and Nintendogs Wii connectivity..

for example.. using the Nintendogs Wii room (which is about 5 times bigger) to store all your dogs.. and putting them on the Nintendogs 2 DS cart through WLan..

also there could be a ton of minigames.. like that frisbie catching game..

yoopoo

Banned
ORANGUTAN said:
do you not think before you speak in person as well? are people still doing the handheld/console comparisons? sony had zero marketshare in handhelds. nintendo had a massive monopoly. console and handheld success cannot, and should not, be compared.

anyways, i've said my piece. not gonna get a 3rd ban for criticizing nintendo. just not worth it, guys. in one ear, out the other.
Well PSP was ouselling the DS worldwide...until Nintendogs bit PSP in the ass.

Maridia

ORANGUTAN said:

I like how you scoff at comparing home consoles to portables...

...but home consoles to import cars and arena football? COMPLETELY ACCEPTABLE!

Man of Knowledge said:

I chalk that up to Japanese Xenophobia, them refusing to by good American Products. If the Xbox360 was from a Japanese company it would be selling millions there by now.
Man of Knowledge

seriously.it.does.not.commute

at.all

ORANGUTAN said:

Your tech talk fits it exactly. Continue to ignore selective bits.

Don't let the door hit ya.

If I remember correctly the DS sold something like 500k in one week a year after launch, which caused the shortage which they're still seeing today. I think many people are still a bit early on their "DS-style success" predictions. They're on their way for sure, but we still have to wait until there's indication that it has really reached phenomenon status. I'm thinking the DS will still outsell the Wii 2:1

edit: after this week of course ;)

ORANGUTAN said:

Read my prior post and every other post that indicates that you are wrong. You just can't think of a decent reply can you? By the way, you probably aren't being banned for criticizing Nintendo. Maybe it's because you are lying and delusional.

The PS2 also had a "massive monopoly" of sorts. The comparison is valid. You also never justify why they should not be compared except those minor differences. The same phenomenon that propelled the DS Lite is gearing up for the Wii even more so. You just wait and watch the sales figures. In your heart, you won't be shocked.

Flakster99

ORANGUTAN said:
i don't get it, why are ps3 and wii sales being directly compared?

do people compare ford sales to ferrari?

Yup. My opinion on the matter is this.

As competitive as I am in real life, in my hobbies, etc... perhaps it is due to my age and perspective, experience as a gamer (in general), I couldn't give two shits how the competition handles their product.

If the experience is fun, exhilarating, rewarding on some level, then I throw my support behind said product, if not, then no big deal. Of course I know a bigger user base, hype, bullshit, etc. etc. etc... equals more games in the end for the existing user base.

My reasoning, as cliche as it sounds, there is so much more to life, so many interests that I could occupy every waking hour of my time if I wanted, though I would be extremely exhausted. I find it surprising how some folks can remain a "fanboy" towards something for so long, doesn't it drain you? I've been there, done that, it doesn't matter in the end, it isn't real, for me.

These companies are after my time, my dollar, if the product doesn't deliver, there will always be other avenues of interests for me. :)

Man of Knowledge said:

So why is the iPod doing pretty well in Japan? I look forward to your answer.

Let me guess..."Stever Jobs hates America and so does Japan, so this news isn't relevent"

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
ORANGUTAN said:
console and handheld success cannot, and should not, be compared.
DS is giving Nintendo a leader image that will benefit the Wii. The wifi connectivity adds value to the DS/Wii combo, a synergy that will find its first expression with the Pokemons. The wii will serve as a DS download station. A Nintendogs connectivity as just stated would be a killer app for the Wii. These are a very short selection of examples that highly contradict your statement: I'm afraid you're wrong again.

clearacell said:
If I remember correctly the DS sold something like 500k in one week a year after launch, which caused the shortage which they're still seeing today. I think many people are still a bit early on their "DS-style success" predictions. They're on their way for sure, but we still have to wait until there's indication that it has really reached phenomenon status. I'm thinking the DS will still outsell the Wii 2:1

edit: after this week of course ;)

So Wii will have 6 million consoles sold in Japan by like, what, next year?

Tenacious-V

Thinks his PR is better than yours.
ORANGUTAN said:

Tell that to the PS1.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
Man of Knowledge said:

No, less.

Xbox 360 LTD 176,450

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Man of Knowledge said:

yes, Japanese people need to learn to like american things more, that's what needs to happen.

So do Europeans apparently, judging by the sales of 360 in Europe. Maybe Americans can send some xbox missionaries?

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Man of Knowledge said:
I chalk that up to Japanese Xenophobia, them refusing to by good American Products.
that must be why you never see ANY iPods over there, there aren't coke vending machines on every other corner, and things like McDonald's and Shakeys just don't exist.. :\

Man of Knowledge said:

You are capitalizing a bunch of words that don't need to be capitalized. It's annoying.

More annoying, you fail to justify this response. How is that Japanese xenophobia? They've embraced American products extensively. Perhaps they just don't see compelling 360 games? It's possible for a geographic location to have different tastes you know.

Neomoto

catfish said:
yes, Japanese people need to learn to like american things more, that's what needs to happen.

So do Europeans apparently, judging by the sales of 360 in Europe. Maybe Americans can send some xbox missionaries?
Maybe it would help if the game genre's had more variety. As in, PS2 gamelibrary variety.

Man of Knowledge said:
So the only place Xbox360 is doing very well is the U.S?

:(. How can people not be getting one over a Wii or PS3 is beyond me.

'Tis the fanboy goggles. What you think is the best console doesn't always mean they'll have the best sales.

See: Nintendo fans last generation.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
Man of Knowledge said:

Define "very well". People have different tastes and Microsoft hasn't catered to the Japanese market at all. They are making a valiant effort with Blue Dragon, so that will be interesting to see unfold.

This thread has gone to wonderful places.

Congrats to Nintendo not just on a good launch saleswise, but also having a good supply. Not a great one, but all things are relative these days. It's going to be interesting to see how far ahead/behind everyone is once supply is no longer an issue, and where things go from there.

Mato

It's like a bunch of Sony employees said: hey let's log on to gaf, stir up some arguements, and piss off the fanboys, ha ha

Masklinn

Accept one saviour, get the second free.
Man of Knowledge said:
yes
Man of Knowledge said:
Are you going to cut your wrists while listening to Linkin Park now?

Dracos

Man of Knowledge said:

Mods can we get rid of him and all his kind please? My suggestion, nuke the site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Man of Knowledge said:

Reset your account with a new name

Jammy

Banned
Does anybody have the U.S. NPD Xbox 360 LTD? We can then add this to the ~180,000 360 has sold in Japan and then get a pretty good estimate on Europe's (and elsewhere's) sales.

Is the system just at like 5 million worldwide?

Top Bottom