• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - April 2015

terrisus

I'm kinda torn on picking up DK 64. As a kid I could never beat that damn 50 minute Hideout Helm nonsense, and I'm sure save states would help. I have a good amount of nostalgia for the game, too.

Is that game actually *good* though? Was it ever good? Like with BT I'm just not sure how I feel like it would hold up, and I remember it oscillating between fun and frustrating as a kid. Those Arcade minigames ;__; Ridiculously hard.

Donkey Kong 64 was always like a mediocre version of Banjo-Tooie, which was always like a "decent, but too busy" version of Banjo-Kazooie.

I mean, I like collectathons, but, walking over the same exact path multiple times with different monkeys just to pick up different colored bananas was absurd.

I'll still get it, but it's really a middling game at best.

I remember feeling almost insulted that the game was so much of a collectathon that there were actually colored bananas that you could only pick up while playing as the proper Kong. I don't mind collecting in games but DK64 took it to the extreme.

Exactly.

sörine

Banned
just so I'm on the right page with all of you.
the two lists above are not definite or confirmed right?

it's a list of eligible games that can appear or VC?
Right, the only confirmed releases are:

Nintendo 64
Donkey Kong 64 (NA/EU/JP)
Paper Mario (NA/EU)
Super Mario 64 (NA/EU/JP)

Nintendo DS
Big Brain Academy (JP)
Brain-Age (EU/JP)
Mario Kart DS (NA/EU)
New Super Mario Bros. (JP)
Wario Ware Touched! (NA/EU/JP)
Yoshi Touch & Go (NA)
Yoshi's Island DS (NA/EU/JP)

maxcriden

Let's see what they include in the "very cool update" that is coming "soon":

Fingers crossed!

I remember feeling almost insulted that the game was so much of a collectathon that there were actually colored bananas that you could only pick up while playing as the proper Kong. I don't mind collecting in games but DK64 took it to the extreme.

Donkey Kong 64 was always like a mediocre version of Banjo-Tooie, which was always like a "decent, but too busy" version of Banjo-Kazooie.

I mean, I like collectathons, but, walking over the same exact path multiple times with different monkeys just to pick up different colored bananas was absurd.

I'll still get it, but it's really a middling game at best.

I'll likely pick it up. Those N64 collectathons hold up pretty strangely in my mind today. BK feels so...small to play now, for me. I dunno. I tried the XBLA version and couldn't get into it. With DK and BT, though, IIRC they have the opposite problem of being too bloated.

I hope I like SM64 better on Wii U VC than I did playing it with a GCN controller on Wii VC. I was a big fan of it as a kid, but never 100%'d it.

I never finished Donkey Kong 64 because of that.

I will now, though :p

Because of the backtracking or Hideout Helm or the Arcade stuff?

Benedict

So I finally finished Mario & Luigi. What an utter disappointment.
Impressions from my post in the 52 Games in a year-thread.

19. Mario & Luigi: Dream Team Bros (3DS)
First Played 17/03/2015 Last Played 03/04/2015
Time to clear: 45:10 (44.38 according to Activity Log)

No. Times Played 13, Average Play Time 3:26
Mario & Luigis final level: 41
Excellent Rate 84%, Block-Recovery Rate 92%
Enemies Defeated 4998, Escapes 1, Time KO'd ?, Times Damaged 1591
Mushrooms Eaten 305, 4 Pi'llos left (Let them sleep!)

Never let Mario go on vacation. Bad games always comes out of it.
I'm very disappointed in this game. Might be the worst Mario game I ever played. I've played several of the earlier games in the series and enjoyed them.
It feels like way too long to reach the end and everytime I met an enemy was a chore. Full of frustrating mechanics and gimmicks that never feel fun.
Seems like Nintendo had a budget and time on their hand but not an idea of what to do with this game neaning this is a game that should not have been made.
Avoid.

Hope Paper Mario on 3DS is better.

Qurupeke

Eligible Nintendo DS list:

Ι really want Metroid Prime Hunters and the Mystery Dungeon games. Especially the Mystery Dungeon games. I had lost my copy and I never finished the post game stuff in Blue. :(

I just hope they'll actually release them. They had some internet connectivity iirc, but it wasn't something as important as in the main games, right?

TheMoon

So, do the N64 and DS games have save states?

Yes. Both also come with manual scans, like GBA VC.

But:

DS games ONLY support the GamePad, no other controllers. They also do NOT let you remap ANY buttons. However, they do support a variety of screen layouts, some with smoothing on/off options and you can swap between left-handed and right-handed layouts.

N64 games support rumble (finally!).

Kinda cross post from the N64 VC thread but the manuals in N64 and DS VC are pdf files on the web accessed when you hit the button (browser URL pops up very briefly). The URL structure is logical and predictable using the product codes. Some examples:
Super Mario 64 (USA): http://m1.nintendo.net/docvc/NUS/USA/NSME/NSME_E.pdf
DK64 (Europe English): http://m1.nintendo.net/docvc/NUS/EUR/NDOP/NDOP_E.pdf (black and white? thanks NOE)
DK64 (Japan): http://m1.nintendo.net/docvc/NUS/JPN/NDOJ/NDOJ_J.pdf (colour but mostly white backgrounds, probably uses less ink than the EU B&W manuals too, I believe the pages before the cover are a quick start guide of sorts with this in mind physical manuals turning into quick start guides should make more sense now)
Big Brain Academy (Japan): http://m1.nintendo.net/docvc/NTR/JPN/AYAJ/AYAJ_J.pdf
I'm told the EU SM64 links to that US manual.

Trying the US DK64 URL gave a 404 error so nothing ahead of time I guess...(I'm not going to try all the variables).

Playing with the URLs a bit more for DK64 I can't find any other languages apart from French, which is odd as the English one lists Italian and the French one lists German.

I'd also like to remind people that the emanuals for first party retail games in Japan and Europe (never checked for America) can be found on the game pages on the Nintendo website (URLs are a pain). Although the formatting looks a bit odd.

I suppose I thank tilmen as it was his video I got the URL from. I say suppose because a decent person would put the links in the description so you didn't have to watch the video then pause it at the right moment and type it out.

Apparently my nintendo news posted the same thing a long time ago...whatever/

GulAtiCa

Though ZaciSa's Last Hand is indeed a joke, Camjo-Z & I are hard at work on a new game coming this Summer! (not ZaciSa 2, that will likely be Fall/Winter). Full reveal likely in a month or so! Until then, hush hush.

Gotta give it to Camjo-Z for his sense of humor! I actually had no idea Camjo-Z was going to do that as a joke. Was caught off-guard and literally laughed very hard. Esp at the names. :lol. After seeing it, I ran with it.

jholmes

So what are the odds we get Pilotwings 64? I seem to recall there's some tech license issue. But then we're getting Donkey Kong 64 and already got EarthBound so who's to say?

Robin64

Never did it before, so it felt like this was a good time to attempt a 16 star run of Mario 64. Yay.
zlCfzTMyld47X5ajx5

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
That's not "Mario 64 on a handheld."

That's "What could have actually been an improvement on Mario 64, but instead was ruined by absolutely horrid, disgusting controls, that are an affront to the game, on a handheld"

I would pay so much money for this.
I never get why people thought Mario 64 on DS was bad... I loved the title on DS. I ended up using the odd strap you put around your thumb and I was going as fast as I did in Mario 64.

foltzie1

The manuals being PDF hosted elsewhere is interesting. So if you happen to be offline, no manual?

I assume the logic is that including a PDF reader in the emulator is overkill, and the PDFs are so nice that the digital manuals for other VC titles arent good enough?

So, interesting choice.

terrisus

I never get why people thought Mario 64 on DS was bad... I loved the title on DS. I ended up using the odd strap you put around your thumb and I was going as fast as I did in Mario 64.

I tried using the thumbstrap.
I tried using the D-pad.

Both were sad attempts to replicate a game which was created in part as a showcase for the N64's analogue control.

Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan 1+2 I believe was the actual original versions of the songs so also not eligible.
No, those were cover versions as well. They were better covers than the ones in EBA, but still not as good as the real thing, of course. Man, now you got me in the mood for some can you master baby, don't let me down my sweet baby bambina and ore ore samurai.

I tried using the thumbstrap.
I tried using the D-pad.
Both were sad attempts to replicate a game which was created in part as a showcase for the N64's analogue control.

I always found it weird that they chose that particular game to showcase the DS when it was designed so much around running around with an analog stick doing 360 circles. You could make the digital controls work but it just wasn't ideal or meant to be played like that in the first place. I hear it plays much better on a 3DS but I haven't been able to try it myself and the controls are still not analog, of course. I guess they just wanted to show what the DS was capable of graphically, and it looked quite nice.

Cody_D165

Banned
so Paper Mario 64 is out on the 30th eh? can't wait to play it for the millionth time

it's legitimately my favorite game ever made

Gambit

Just finished Mighty Switch Force 2 with all the par times. It was, dare I say, a mighty fine game.

After my experience with part 1, this time I knew to finish all stages before beating the par times.

Anyway, the game definitely justified the sale price, but even at 5€ I would have been happy with it.

Gunman Clive 2 has been finished with all characters as well.

I guess there is nothing keeping me from SMTIV now, except that the first hour I spent with it was kinda dull.

terrisus

I always found it weird that they chose that particular game to showcase the DS when it was designed so much around running around with an analog stick doing 360 circles. You could make the digital controls work but it just wasn't ideal or meant to be played like that in the first place. I hear it plays much better on a 3DS but I haven't been able to try it myself and the controls are still analog, of course. I guess they just wanted to show what the DS was capable of graphically, and it looked quite nice.

Agreed. I mean, I was fine with the DS not having an analogue stick, but it was just very strange for Nintendo's first game for the system to be one that screams out for an analogue stick, and playing it makes you think "This is so awkward, and would be so much better with an analogue stick."

While, granted, it was a decent graphical showcase, it was just a very strange pick for a game.

Super Mario 64 would have been much better as a 3DS title.

maxcriden

I hear it plays much better on a 3DS but I haven't been able to try it myself and the controls are still not analog, of course. I guess they just wanted to show what the DS was capable of graphically, and it looked quite nice.

You know, I heard that as well so I tried it out using the 3DS, and it is still really janky to me. I'm with terry on this, it's an oddly-conceived port and while it serves as a graphical showcase it is just a pale imitation of the experience of the original (granted I have not tried the thumb-strap).

terrisus

(granted I have not tried the thumb-strap).

I have. It's better than the D-pad in some ways, but worse in others.
In particular, no tactile sensation to "moving the stick," and no tactile way to return to "center"/sense how far off "center" you are.

It's basically just a pieced-together attempt at trying to get something to work.
And, it "functions." Just, not nearly as well.

And, considering how important/central analogue movement was to the game, it pretty much just ruins it.

maxcriden

I have. It's better than the D-pad in some ways, but worse in others.
In particular, no tactile sensation to "moving the stick," and no tactile way to return to "center"/sense how far off "center" you are.

It's basically just a pieced-together attempt at trying to get something to work.
And, it "functions." Just, not nearly as well.

And, considering how important/central analogue movement was to the game, it pretty much just ruins it.

Well, you sir are preaching to the choir, for me at least. So, I'm hopeful Nintendo will continue to port GCN and Wii games to their current systems, and now that analog (or analog-esque) control is available on their console and handheld, I would hope we only see more of these over time.

Robin64

16 stars is the absolute minimum required to get to Bowser?

I haven't watched any speedruns, so this is news to me.

I think there's a way with 0 stars too, but the 16 stars run is a bit easier.

• Get any 8 stars
  • Defeat the first Bowser level
  • Get another 7 stars, bringing you up to 15
  • Use Mips, the rabbit, to gitch into the second Bowser door
  • Beat Dire Dire Docks once, moving the wall back
  • Defeat the second Bowser level
  • Use the backwards longjump to get up the stairs super quick and bypass the infinite stairs to the final Bowser stage

tolkir

I don't know why I keep starting to play new long games.
I am with Demon's Souls (25 hours and counting), Persona 4 Golden (45 hours and counting) and, now, i begin Donkey Kong 64.

I hope to finish them before Splatoon arrives.

Top Bottom