• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - April 2015

Dee Dee

I reached 40 000 Rhythmia in Curtain Call, beat that sucker with a perfect chain. You guys had me so afraid, I am actually disappointed now. Also, I only just discovered the online vs.-mode! Pretty fun.
I mean I never ever win against random Japanese players with a team of nothing but lvl 99 Lightnings... but I get a lot of new StreetPasses like that. Real good mechanic!

Any estimates on how long it takes to beat BoxBoy?

JoeM86

A friend found this in the manual for the DS games. The Sleep Mode puzzles of Phantom Hourglass and Another Code have no need for concern anymore
A67E66D9-6773-4A28-B567-8B000D213CAD_zps9oeq4tgx.jpg

Phoenixus

A friend found this in the manual for the DS games. The Sleep Mode puzzles of Phantom Hourglass and Another Code have no need for concern anymore

Might've been Another code, can't fully recall, but wasn't there a DS game with a puzzle that required only partially closing the screens to reflect an image? Wonder how they'd get around that. :p

terrisus

That's not going to help with Trace Memory/Another Code...

Might've been Another code, can't fully recall, but wasn't there a DS game with a puzzle that required only partially closing the screens to reflect an image? Wonder how they'd get around that. :p

Yup

Trace Memory will be fun.

(Folding the screens ~70% of the way in half to see the reflection of the upper screen on the lower screen)

Has anyone else noticed that recently (around mid March), more releases are available to purchase from the eShop web store? It's no longer limited to 1st party titles.

Gifting is available - buy and send code to a friend - and even endorsed by Nintendo.

Purchases are still limited to credit card only. No eShop funds or paypal options.

Would be a great way for a Gaffer in a tax free state to "gift" to other members - members with only paypal and tax savings benefit too.

zroid

Banned
Has anyone else noticed that recently (around mid March), more releases are available to purchase from the eShop web store? It's no longer limited to 1st party titles.

Gifting is available - buy and send code to a friend - and even endorsed by Nintendo.

Purchases are still limited to credit card only. No eShop funds or paypal options.

Would be a great way for a Gaffer in a tax free state to "gift" to other members - members with only paypal and tax savings benefit too.

I hadn't noticed that...

good to know!

Chibo

Neo Member
So I finally finished Mario & Luigi. What an utter disappointment.
Impressions from my post in the 52 Games in a year-thread.

Hope Paper Mario on 3DS is better.

You're playing them in the right order. I found Sticker Star's sparseness utterly refreshing after the constant explanation of Dream Team, so much so that the 3DS Paper Mario became my favorite of the series. I'd heard so many negative comments about it, but it does its own thing, and most of all, it doesn't insult your intelligence.

L~A

I know people are going to go wild with conspiracy theories, but today's a holiday in lots of places in Europe, so there most likely won't be any download PR today.

Sadly :(

JoeM86

I reached 40 000 Rhythmia in Curtain Call, beat that sucker with a perfect chain. You guys had me so afraid, I am actually disappointed now. Also, I only just discovered the online vs.-mode! Pretty fun.
I mean I never ever win against random Japanese players with a team of nothing but lvl 99 Lightnings... but I get a lot of new StreetPasses like that. Real good mechanic!

Any estimates on how long it takes to beat BoxBoy?

There are
worlds before the credits, each with 7 to 8 stages. You can get a good four or five hours out of it. I'm going through the postgame and have 8:15 logged so far

Robin64

Do highly recommend Box Boy. Reviews that called it a piece of cake clearly did the bare minimum to see the credits (as seems to be the case with a lot of Nintendo games, but that's another story..)

JoeM86

While we wait until tomorrow, so far this is what we know

Wii U
Affordable Space Adventures

3DS
Pokémon Rumble World

Do highly recommend Box Boy. Reviews that called it a piece of cake clearly did the bare minimum to see the credits (as seems to be the case with a lot of Nintendo games, but that's another story..)

Agreed. I didn't finish a level until I had done it "Perfect". I'm now in the post-game with 8 hours logged. It's a great game.

I also only just found out last night that different costumes helped do different things. Ninja made you faster. Wizard gives you extra blocks and Rabbit makes you jump higher. Could have been useful earlier

zigg

Even if it was cake, it's really delicious cake.

Robin64

Actually really looking forward to Pokemon Rumble World. It's not just arenas like U, is it? I missed the stages from Blast.

Even if it was cake, it's really delicious cake.

Haha yeah, it is.

Wonder if any reviewers did any of the post-game levels, too.

JoeM86

Actually really looking forward to Pokemon Rumble World. It's not just arenas like U, is it? I missed the stages from Blast.

Yeah it's more like Blast than Rumble U. In fact, from what I've seen, some of the stage layouts and music have been lazily ripped from Rumble Blast.

Simbabbad

I like Box Boy, but up to world 10 at least, I have to agree it's basically a giant tutorial. The difficulty never takes off, even to get the crowns - tons of obvious "I don't have to think at all" puzzles. It's charming, it's clever, but you never really have to think much. Maybe a few levels get hard later, but more than half the game is like this at least.

JoeM86

I like Box Boy, but up to world 10 at least, I have to agree it's basically a giant tutorial. The difficulty never takes off, even to get the crowns - tons of obvious "I don't have to think at all" puzzles. It's charming, it's clever, but you never really have to think much. Maybe a few levels get hard later, but more than half the game is like this at least.

That's Nintendo in a nutshell, though. Easy to beat, very hard to master.

Robin64

In comparison, though, I played Kalimba on the XB1 this weekend. Another puzzle platformer, but where you control two characters at once. It began to get really hard by just level 3, and by level 5 I felt "done". Like, if that's how it was now, imagine by the end..

Nintendo games let almost anyone beat them, and that's nice. But if you want hard and then just stop there, you're doing it wrong.

Robin64

Yeah, honestly, Nintendo have always been this way.

When people think of "Nintendo hard" NES games, for example, they always list third-party efforts such as Battletoads, Mega Man, Castlevania, etc.

JoeM86

Yeah, honestly, Nintendo have always been this way.

When people think of "Nintendo hard" NES games, for example, they always list third-party efforts such as Battletoads, Mega Man, Castlevania, etc.

Plus those were really mostly only hard due to janky NES mechanics

Simbabbad

That's Nintendo in a nutshell, though. Easy to beat, very hard to master.
Except here there isn't much to "master".

Pullblox, Fallblox, some Mini games and in particular Minis on the Move which is IMO a puzzle masterpiece, the Art Style series on DSiWare and WiiWare (some hard games there), etc. - none of these are giant tutorials, except maybe Mini-Land Mayhem.

Box Boy is really unusually easy for Nintendo, you really can't get any easier than "when I think more than 10 seconds, it's a grand maximum".

I'm not even saying it's a bad game, but the reviews were right about that aspect.

TheMoon

If a review claims a Nintendo-published/made game is easy, disregard this review immediately because in 9/10 cases, the reviewer raced through it to see the credits roll ignored half the game.

Pullblox, Fallblox, some Mini games and in particular Minis on the Move which is IMO a puzzle masterpiece, the Art Style series on DSiWare and WiiWare (some hard games there), etc. - none of these are giant tutorials, except maybe Mini-Land Mayhem.

Box Boy is really unusually easy for Nintendo, you really can't get any easier than "when I think more than 10 seconds, it's a grand maximum".

I'm not even saying it's a bad game, but the reviews were right about that aspect.

And that's why you unlock time attack and prepare for the tears to roll.

JoeM86

You'll see

Dee Dee

It's my birthday today and I'm going to download something for myself. What should I get?

Was thinking about The Keep.

The Keep looks fun! Maybe also look into Bar Adventure Story and SMTIV if you are into oldschool dungeon crawly stuff? (Happy Birthday! Buy yourself a crappy 3DS theme to celebrate too!)

Well, never mind! Just walked in to my game too to a handmade card, Metroid Prime Trilogy downloaded to my Wii U, a Gold Mario Amiibo and a GameCube controller adaptor. Best girlfriend ever.

Thanks for the suggestions though!

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I'm in for Pokemon Rumble. I know some might hated the RNG aspect of the last F2P Pokemon game, but it really didn't bother me. I'll be in, and I'm sure my kids will enjoy as well.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Affordable Space Adventures is US$19.99? That seems... high? Help me out here, guys.

It's the same argument we've had with a string of $20 releases from Shantae to Ori on all platforms.

While I dislike the idea that everything has to conform to the $10 or $15 mold, I also end up usually passing on games that are $20 out of the gate. To much to play for me especially when I know things will go on sale.

Plus for me personally I find it hard to justify sometimes depending on the game. Torchlight II was $20, but that was a game that you could get 100+ hours with full online co-op. I also hate to use the time/money argument, but I only got so much time to play things with more than enough to play already.

AFS for me personally looks good, but it isn't wowing me. With the extra $5 bump over $15 for many indies it really has to wow me to get in day 1. I take the same approach to most retail games too (Nintendo being an exception seeing as most don't price drop).

Top Bottom