• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - April 2015

rjc571

Banned
The ONLY way I'm ever paying $20 for a downloadable indie game is if they release a demo first. I can't justify paying that much money for an indie game sight unseen when I've been burned by a number of $15 downloadable titles that looked good but ended up sucking.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Despite having no interest in the game, I kind of have to agree. $15 or $20 (depending on the game) is my max I feel comfortable spending on a digital game, & only twice have I spent $30 on digital because I knew I'd be interested in it due to being franchises I was aware of.

I feel more burned on buying a $20 digital game that I know I can't trade in or return compared to a physical copy.

Edit: Demos also play a factor as well.

terrisus

For me it's a combination of:

1) The name tells me absolutely nothing about the game. They're real words, but don't form any sort of recognizable narrative - which, frankly, I consider more nonsense than just regular old made-up words.

2) The NintendoLife video preview of the game is absolutely terrible. Yeah, not the game's fault, but as of right now it's hard to find decent video of the game. If anyone has any recommendations of good videos of the actual gameplay, as opposed to a couple of people talking, let me know.

3) From what I can tell, the game kind of looks like a pain to play. Is everything always that dark, only being lit up more by your flashlight thing? That looks really annoying.

4) So there's no off-TV play? While, yeah, interesting stuff can be done having the television and the gamepad serve separate functions, considering my Wii U generally isn't hooked up to a television at all, that alone is probably enough to make me pass on it.

5) Yeah, the price doesn't help.

GulAtiCa

Why not look at their past games to decide if $20 is worth it or not? I hope people get rid of the mind set of indie = $3 that a lot have (not saying anyone here does, just in general that I've seen).

This is getting great reviews and from Nifflas (Knytt Underground, NightSky) and KnapNok Games (Spin the Bottle: Bumpie's Party) with awesome titles already under their title.

I do agree $20 is rather high, as I'm playing other games, I'll likely get it later or wait for sale. God knows I have a big enough backlog.. lol

TheMoon

Dajana Dimovska, CEO of KnapNok Games, has said the following.

Setting a price has been tricky for us. There is a lot of great games on the eShop selling for around $15, but they are either ports from other platforms, or games that could be easily ported to other platforms at a later date. Affordable Space Adventures is uniquely designed specifically for the Wii U system and the GamePad, we have to earn all our revenue in the eShop.

There is such a great community surrounding the Wii U and people are super excited whenever a good game is coming to the platform; I am sure that people are willing to pay a few extra bucks to get a game that has been tailor made for the hardware.

We are pretty certain that this game will not see a price drop or a discount at least until after the summer. We totally understand that some people have a limited budget for games. If these people are willing to wait and buy the game in the fall, to save some dollars, we are cool with that. I just can't promise anything about when or how much. The only thing I can promise is that the game will stay full price during this spring and summer.

Just as a reminder.

terrisus

terrisus
Let you google that for me
(Today, 01:18 PM)

Perfect tag moment. :p

I mean, I've tried to search around for videos of Affordable Space Adventures, but the only one I've found of a decent length is that terrible NintendoLife one.
If you have other recommendations of videos to check out showing a decent amount of the gameplay, let me know.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I mean, I've tried to search around for videos of Affordable Space Adventures, but the only one I've found of a decent length is that terrible NintendoLife one.
If you have other recommendations of videos to check out showing a decent amount of the gameplay, let me know.

Here, Sir, I brought the cookies you asked for:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEzrth3V9II

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2crGFXR2Gc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EWSlrt_KEU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vue7ucOj6Tw

http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/C1lSgk1eIstpYGI-gjH88x5E6gZQwgT5

Does the master have also other desires?

GulAtiCa

I'll take $10k myself!

For Smash Bros. Everyone should totally vote The Red Ship!
CB7iOJ-UEAEtFtf.png:large

With awesome moves such as.. umm, err, kamikaze into enemy! It's super effective!

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I'll take $10k myself!

For Smash Bros. Everyone should totally vote The Red Ship!
CB7iOJ-UEAEtFtf.png:large

With awesome moves such as.. umm, err, kamikaze into enemy! It's super effective!

I am deeply sorry, but the master's account is almost empty. I think he spends too much on cheap poor games.
:p

Camjo-Z

I'd complain about ASA's $20 price too, but I wasn't going to buy it anyway, so I'll just say that I find the name to be FALSE ADVERTISING!

GulAtiCa

Well, since real space adventures are like millions, if not billions of dollars, $20 is really affordable. har har har. :p

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
The name comes from the plot of the game. You are tempted to go on an affordable space adventure only to find out that the spaceship that you got is barely functioning. And this is your starting point, with a cheap, good for (almost) nothing ship.

But you along the way you manage to improve it and get access to more technology.

TheMoon

I find it weird that - in this thread of all places - we have to fight and justify the value and now apparently even the name of this amazing exclusive Wii U game with seemingly great production values and which also happens to present one of the best showcases for asymmetric gameplay in both singleplayer and three-player co-op for the Wii U GamePad. Like, what the hell, guys?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I find it weird that - in this thread of all places - we have to fight and justify the value and now apparently even the name of this amazing exclusive Wii U game with seemingly great production values and which also happens to present one of the best showcases for asymmetric gameplay in both singleplayer and three-player co-op for the Wii U GamePad. Like, what the hell, guys?

Slow VC complaining day. Tomorrow the thread will be back to normal (bitching about VC for this week) and ignoring the actual new good games on eshop.

Camjo-Z

super-paper-mario-message-board-e.jpg

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member

No to mention it's been a fairly big showcase for Nintendo whenever they feature indie games. It had a really good demo during the Nintendo E3 stream where the Yacth Club Games guys stopped by to play it.

Either way I'll be buying it day one because it looks great and all first hand impressions going back to its reveal have been positive.

cacildo

Well... i dont know... i dont have a lot of money, so i probably wont be able to buy ASA.

But i really think they should ask the price they feel like.

I could say "If it was cheaper more people would buy it and it could have a bigger chance of turn in some profit!!" but in reality the developers are the ones who know the amount of work they put into the game (probably A LOT), how much they had to spend from their own pocket to develop it (probably a lot) and what is the best way to turn a profit using only the WiiU eshop - since this game is impossible to port to other systems

All in all, im really happy they made an indie game thats not a puzzle game or a 2d platformer (which is my usual complain about indie games but is not actually a valid complain, since SEVERAL indie games on the wiiu eshop dosent fit these two categories)

GulAtiCa

I've actually seen people say "pass", "no thanks", "we don't want this!", "shovelware!" to new indie game announcements for Wii U. And I'm talking about games like Tiny Galaxy, psyscrolr, PING 1.5+, etc. These are games that look fine and might just be fun and nice games. But see people who rather have less games on their console.. Not a healthy attitude to have to small indies.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
If it makes any difference, Pizza Ninja Girl looked decent. Granted, kind of want to see more footage, but at least it caught my attention.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I just don't have the time anymore to play every single indie release even on a platform like Wii U, so I only buy stuff with amazing word of mouth or a ridiculous sale price.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Does Freedom Planet count as an indie, because that looks awesome & I might get that at launch.

Also yeah, gotta go with what Man God said. My time/budget is very limited, so I have to be selective with what I play.

GulAtiCa

Yeah, people not buying cause not enough time/price factor/etc is fine. I don't buy every indie, heck currently busy playing Bloodborne, so not really playing much else.

I'm only complaining about those that actively go "I'd rather have my system have no games!" (I also dislike the people who don't buy new games and only bitch about old games they've bought 20 times before too :p )

-----

In better news. Looking forward to that psyscrolr patch update and new content.
Need to go back and finish up some of my Wii U backlog games. Got so many!

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Sometimes I forget how ridiculously fun Smash Bros really is, and then I play some matches in an on-going gaf tourney and BAM
i got rekt

Regarding new eshop titles: I definitely see the potential in Boxboy, even though the first two worlds that I've played so far was not much of a challenge to put it mildly

And ASA is a given day1 for me as I'm positively LOADED with ba-bling-ba-bling

terrisus

The name comes from the plot of the game. You are tempted to go on an affordable space adventure only to find out that the spaceship that you got is barely functioning. And this is your starting point, with a cheap, good for (almost) nothing ship.

But you along the way you manage to improve it and get access to more technology.

Well, that's part of my problem then - I read the name as "affordable space" adventure.

That is, I was expecting something like an apartment construction game, where you try to build a living area on a budget by collecting pieces or something.

I'm positively LOADED with ba-bling-ba-bling

Roboleon
My path to success was sucking French cock for a decade.

>.>

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
I'm happy that indies are coming to the Wii U eShop and that Affordable is reviewing well. That said, I have way too much of a backlog =). Just got a Wii U Pro Controller to PC Adapter working and now am going through my big backlog (PC humble bundles including full retail games, etc. - beat Arkham Asylum last weekend and working through Sonic Generations). I did also buy like 4 games during the recent Wii U indie sale, and while I beat Guacamelee, I haven't really had time to play much else of what I bought then yet =) (Teslagrad, Swords & Soldiers & SteamWorld Dig).

BooJoh

Honestly, I've been a fan of Nifflas' since the first Knytt on PC. If we were talking about a Knytt game (especially with the scope of Knytt Underground) I would probably pay $20. I bought both Risky's Revenge and Shantae and the Pirate's Curse at full price, and I paid $15 for the 3-hour LostWinds with no regrets.

But ASA looks like it could be a great atmospheric adventure... which may or may not be made clunky and tedious by its very design. With so much to play that I can't keep up with my backlog, and budget as a consideration, I only pay $15+ day one for games that I'm absolutely sure I'll love and play right away.

3DS
Pokémon Rumble World

I'm in for Pokemon Rumble. I know some might hated the RNG aspect of the last F2P Pokemon game, but it really didn't bother me. I'll be in, and I'm sure my kids will enjoy as well.

Oh Rumble World is coming already? Bring it on. I wonder how another F2P pokemon game will feel.

Anyone planning an OT for Rumble World? I'm already slacking on keeping the Shuffle OT updated so I don't know if I want to take on another f2p OT with possible ongoing events and updates.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Legend of Dark Witch is that Mega Man style platformer, right? I just noticed it on sale & remembered my friend telling me about it. Anyone wanna convince me to get it for the price of $2.79 instead of $4?

I still have $3.65 left, but I was thinking of saving it for 3D Fantasy Zone II &/or the new Streetpass games.

Chrom

In addition to Citizens of Earth and SMT Devil Survivor Overclocked, Tetrobot & Co. went on sale today on the Wii U eShop in NA for $2.99 until 4/12 (was $9.99).

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
In an unexpected twist based waifu hooked up the fam with this tonight!

She also got extra figures. She got Rocket, Elsa, Baymax, and Hero!

Kids are gonna have fun tomorrow on spring break! :p

Yoshi Touch & Go isn't actually going to cost $9.99, is it? I'd happily buy it if it were half the price. It's one of the only first party DS titles I no longer have.

Robin64

Affordable Space Adventures would be a must-have if I still regularly had couch co-op gaming. Sadly it's too rare that that ever happens and I'm not sure about the game when playing all by your lonesome. Like, yeah, you can, but the multi is the main draw, right?

Well there won't be an N64 or Wii title in today's PR, that's for sure. We already know of upcoming releases and they are later than this week. So I wonder if we'll see some square shaped SNES titles...

Robin64

Should I be excited for Pokemon Rumble World? I'm excited for Pokemon Rumble World.

To be honest, I am too. And I didn't even finish Pokemon Rumble U or Pokemon Rumble Blast, heh. Oh well.

(Would have still liked support for my Pokemon NFC figures, though. I have shiny Genesect!)

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Affordable Space Adventures would be a must-have if I still regularly had couch co-op gaming. Sadly it's too rare that that ever happens and I'm not sure about the game when playing all by your lonesome. Like, yeah, you can, but the multi is the main draw, right?

Well there won't be an N64 or Wii title in today's PR, that's for sure. We already know of upcoming releases and they are later than this week. So I wonder if we'll see some square shaped SNES titles...

ASA started as a single player game actually. Only later in development they realized that they can split the responsibilities in a asymmetrical local MP. I would say that probably SP is the more challenging bit in it, as you have to adjust the spaceship systems and drive the ship by yourself.
MP is fun because you need to synchronize your moves and unavoidable shouting will occur.

Robin64

ASA started as a single player game actually. Only later in development they realized that they can split the responsibilities in a asymmetrical local MP.

Oh, interesting. I have a bit more faith in the SP aspect, then, if it was built that way first.

Top Bottom