• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - December 2014

maxcriden

Wait, can we now buy things without having the free space to download them? Is this new? Did I miss this update?

Oh, for real? Since when? I didn't think we could, unless you're buying something off of Nintendo.com's site which wouldn't count towards DDP till you had the free space to redeem and download it.

Zeeman

Oh, for real? Since when? I didn't think we could, unless you're buying something off of Nintendo.com's site which wouldn't count towards DDP till you had the free space to redeem and download it.
I bought Stick It to the Man and it registered as being purchased even though I didn't have enough room for it

Zeeman

That's weird. Maybe I had enough space for the download but not enough for the install, and that's why it let me buy it? Pretty strange either way

donny2112

Looks like it does have Off-TV play in Single-Player. Hmmm. If I'm just under 500 in DDP after this weekend, may have to give it a go!

Was just under another 500 DDP, so got Jeopardy Wii U. It gave 50 CN coins for $8!! Guess that's normal with Wii U games, but just wasn't expecting 50 coins for an $8 game. Nice surprise! :)

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Was just under another 500 DDP, so got Jeopardy Wii U. It gave 50 CN coins for $8!! Guess that's normal with Wii U games, but just wasn't expecting 50 coins for an $8 game. Nice surprise! :)

Darksiders II is the same deal only a much better game.

maxcriden

Having a heck of a time picking games to buy on eShop or VC to get that extra DDP code that I don't expect to go on sale and aren't NES games (as those would be better for me on Wii or 3DS VC). Just Goemon so far, any other obscure suggestions? Thanks!

Well, ended up combing through eShop and VC again and still seeing just Goemon and Child of Light...so I suppose I'm better off waiting and not spending $40 to get $5 when I presume COL will go on sale at some point. Ah well. DDP was super fun while it lasted!

Thanks for the helpful impressions. I feel like I need another arts and crafts style platformer to hold me over until Yoshi's Wooly World is released (which I'm guessing now won't be until at least March or April since Kirby ATRC is being released in Feb).

My pleasure! I'll be interested to hear what you think of the game. :)

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Well, ended up combing through eShop and VC again and still seeing just Goemon and Child of Light...so I suppose I'm better off waiting and not spending $40 to get $5 when I presume COL will go on sale at some point. Ah well. DDP was super fun while it lasted!

My pleasure! I'll be interested to hear what you think of the game. :)

Child of Light was more than worth $15 when I bought it day 1. Back half chapters got progressively more amaze.

BooJoh

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG

Affordable Space Adventures got an Australian classification!!!

At least some developers make the effort to get a release here. I appreciate its a shit market but honestly, not releasing stuff is leading to a self-fulfilling prophecy.

edit: hmm, the applicant was Nintendo. Wonder if they publish for some smaller studios and not all?

Knapnok is listed as the "author" but I believe they're just the publisher. I'm not sure if Nifflas is getting help on the development side.

It's a little interesting that neither Knytt Underground nor ASA are published by Nicalis though. I wonder if Nifflas is trying to distance himself or just shopping around to get his games out as soon as they're done.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
It's not. Tetris DS is considered the best Tetris out there, next to original GB Tetris.

+1

I own Tetris DS, I like it but don't love it.
My favorite is Tengen's Tetris on NES (basically a near arcade perfect port of Tetris) followed by GB Tetris, then DS.
Dunno, someone before was singing Axis' praises and seemed pretty knowledgeable on all things Tetris?

Yagharek

Knapnok is listed as the "author" but I believe they're just the publisher. I'm not sure if Nifflas is getting help on the development side.

It's a little interesting that neither Knytt Underground nor ASA are published by Nicalis though. I wonder if Nifflas is trying to distance himself or just shopping around to get his games out as soon as they're done.

ASA is definitely a collaborative effort between Nifflas and Knapnok, it's not just a business arrangement.

I don't know anything about the dev/publisher/support arrangements, but what has happened on this link I included is that Nintendo is the Australian distributor, which means they are the party liable for classification fees.

Its good to see them step in for once and get a game locally released here from eShop indies.

@MUWANdo

Banned
I don't know anything about the dev/publisher/support arrangements, but what has happened on this link I included is that Nintendo is the Australian distributor, which means they are the party liable for classification fees.

Its good to see them step in for once and get a game locally released here from eShop indies.

It isn't uncommon to see Nintendo Australia listed as the distributor for both eShop and retail games, even small obscure ones you've never heard of and games that definitely aren't being cherrypicked by anyone at Nintendo, so I'm not sure it necessarily signifies any sort of financial support, but I suppose they're never gonna confirm/deny anything either way.

Glass Joe

So I downloaded Spy Chameleon, that game is legit. Really fun and only $5. I hope the word gets out so it doesn't get buried like other gems (Xtype+ and Squids Odyssey).

I also picked up Stick It to the Man but have yet to try it, since it's on sale.

JCho133

I've been playing some sidescrollers on my relatively new Wii U (Steamworld Dig, Super Metroid, Stealth Inc 2, etc.) and I'm having some difficulty.

I find the D-Pad to be very unresponsive and overly mushing. Feels like I really have to jame down on it for it to work.

Anyone else have a similar experience with theirs?

Glass Joe

I've been playing some sidescrollers on my relatively new Wii U (Steamworld Dig, Super Metroid, Stealth Inc 2, etc.) and I'm having some difficulty.

I find the D-Pad to be very unresponsive and overly mushing. Feels like I really have to jame down on it for it to work.

No. Maybe compare it to a demo unit that features a game using the + pad (NSMB, Rayman). The gampad's d-pad is great IMO, you might have something wonky going on with yours.

Yagharek

It isn't uncommon to see Nintendo Australia listed as the distributor for both eShop and retail games, even small obscure ones you've never heard of and games that definitely aren't being cherrypicked by anyone at Nintendo, so I'm not sure it necessarily signifies any sort of financial support, but I suppose they're never gonna confirm/deny anything either way.

Yeah, probably an accurate assessment.

I would expect though that in Australia the distributor has to be the one paying the classification costs.

Case in point is both Sega and capcom used to or still dont have an Australian arm. So even for games they publish eg resident evil or say, Dreamcast games, the distribution and ratings would have been done by I think gt interactive or thq and ozisoft.

RiggyRob

Since they're getting removed, which is the better (EU) Tetris game, Tetris 3DS or Gameboy VC Tetris? Having some version of Tetris always on my 3DS could come in handy when I'm in the mood to play it.

also

Banned

From the platformers I've played so far (Donkey Kong Country 1&3, New SMB U), it seems fine; feels like an oversized 3DS XL D-pad, so it's a bit more wobbly and requires a bit more force. It's disappointing coming from Nintendo but it's still an okay D-pad.
What I have a problem with are the buttons; they are way too mushy. Sometimes I'd think I pressed the button but then I'd fall into a pit because I didn't press it hard enough. Made some of the NSMBU challenges where you have to rapidly enter different inputs more frustrating than they needed to be.

JCho133

From the platformers I've played so far (Donkey Kong Country 1&3, New SMB U), it seems fine; feels like an oversized 3DS XL D-pad, so it's a bit more wobbly and requires a bit more force. It's disappointing coming from Nintendo but it's still an okay D-pad.
What I have a problem with are the buttons; they are way too mushy. Sometimes I'd think I pressed the button but then I'd fall into a pit because I didn't press it hard enough. Made some of the NSMBU challenges where you have to rapidly enter different inputs more frustrating than they needed to be.

Hmm, interesting you'd say that, as I find my Wii U's dpad to be the polar opposite of my 3DS XL's, which I find to be extremely clicky and responsive.

I'll think I'll do as Glass Joe said above, and maybe stop by a Gamestop and test out their demo unit.

Perhaps I may just not like the dpad.

And yes, I too find that with the buttons, particularly when I'm needing to press 2 at the same time.

TheMoon

You get these based on if it is a download of a retail game or an eShop-only game. The actual price is pretty much inconsequential.

Knapknok is fully cooperating with Nifflas on ASA. Besides, if Nicalis were involved, the game wouldn't be out until 2016 and a European release would take another two years because reasons.

BooJoh

Since they're getting removed, which is the better (EU) Tetris game, Tetris 3DS or Gameboy VC Tetris? Having some version of Tetris always on my 3DS could come in handy when I'm in the mood to play it.

For barebones Tetris the GB version is among the best, and on VC you don't have to lose your high scores. But Tetris 3DS/Axis has a LOT of modes that you might really enjoy depending on your personal tastes. Everything from filling a silhouette to completing pictures or the mode where a little guy climbs your pieces and you try to get him to the top of a cylindrical tower (or beat your max height.) The music isn't quite as good but there's a decent selection with some remixes and classical tunes and you can change the backgrounds too.

also

Banned
Hmm, interesting you'd say that, as I find my Wii U's dpad to be the polar opposite of my 3DS XL's, which I find to be extremely clicky and responsive.

I'll think I'll do as Glass Joe said above, and maybe stop by a Gamestop and test out their demo unit.

Perhaps I may just not like the dpad.

And yes, I too find that with the buttons, particularly when I'm needing to press 2 at the same time.
Don't get me wrong, the 3DS XL's D-pad is great and undoubtedly superior but I think the gamepad's D-pad still feels okay.
Do you happen to have small(er) thumbs? I can see how that could be a problem.

terrisus

Oh hey, my purchase of Duck Hunt pushed me exactly over the line to another credit.
I have 9,001 points.

WiiUPoints.jpg

9DMadRU.jpg

That would be a pretty perfect place to end up.
I'll probably end up buying a couple more things in the next few days anyway >.>

maxcriden

Child of Light was more than worth $15 when I bought it day 1. Back half chapters got progressively more amaze.

No doubt, just hard for me to justify to myself buying something at $15 when I won't play it anytime soon if I think a sale could come sooner or later. I'm looking forward to playing it, though!

JCho133

Don't get me wrong, the 3DS XL's D-pad is great and undoubtedly superior but I think the gamepad's D-pad still feels okay.
Do you happen to have small(er) thumbs? I can see how that could be a problem.

Why, yes, my thumbs are on the smaller side.

Thinking about it now, that's probably to issue

G0523

Is it bad that I'm still holding out for a sale by Wednesday? If nothing happens by then, I'm gonna be buying a LOT of games in a few days. Lol.

Yuterald

So I downloaded Spy Chameleon, that game is legit. Really fun and only $5. I hope the word gets out so it doesn't get buried like other gems (Xtype+ and Squids Odyssey).

I also picked up Stick It to the Man but have yet to try it, since it's on sale.

Just picked up Spy Chameleon as well and it really is legit. Went ahead and downloaded Paper Monsters Recut as well and it appears to be a decent, C-tier platformer.

TheMoon

Is it bad that I'm still holding out for a sale by Wednesday? If nothing happens by then, I'm gonna be buying a LOT of games in a few days. Lol.

Keep in mind that your DDP points need 12-24 hours to show up in your account so you can't just buy everything on the last day.

TheMoon

Wait, seriously? Then maybe I should buy everything on Tuesday. Early Tuesday morning.

Since we don't know how it will end I wouldn't risk it for some miracle last second sale. Of course it's entirely possible that, since the deadline for cashing in codes is sometime in the Spring (I forget when exactly), the page might stay open and you might be able to have codes pop up on the 1st of January and then cash in a code. Just saying don't risk it.

Experien

Keep in mind that your DDP points need 12-24 hours to show up in your account so you can't just buy everything on the last day.

Nah, all purchases have to be made before end of the year, extra day of processing doesn't count cause they give you a few months to redeem the credits.

Also, just got Hyrule Warriors...anyone wanna give me a quick rundown on all this DLC? What is the Hyrule pack? Are the costume packs not included in the $20 piece?

TheMoon

Also, just got Hyrule Warriors...anyone wanna give me a quick rundown on all this DLC? What is the Hyrule pack? Are the costume packs not included in the $20 piece?

Look up the game's OT. It's all in there!

As for the last question: Correct, costumes are separate from the bundle.

Elija2

They're both just Tetris but the 3DS game has some extra modes that are pretty fun so if you're willing to spend the extra cash I'd say go with that one.

GulAtiCa

I really doubt any sale would occur on Wed. Any sales that start before a Thursday are stated in the PR the previous week and mention when they start/etc. So we would likely know already if a sale would occur on a off-Thursday day.

Also, decided that I'm most likely going to go for "ZaciSa's Crayon Defense" for the Europe/beyond release. Submitting application tonight to PEGI. So will make that or something similar final tonight. I did like "ZaciSa Defense of the Crayon Dimension!", but was really too long. So I'll go with the simple "ZaciSa's Crayon Defense"

Top Bottom