• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - December 2014

BooJoh

Oh, I wanted to ask you guys:

What are your top 5 eShop games of the year?

And why, of course. Curious to see results!

Off the top of my head, and not necessarily in this order:

Shantae and the Pirate's Curse - still playing through it but so far I'm just loving every bit of it.
Shovel Knight - probably the most authentic-feeling retro-styled game I've played, it has all the nostalgia of NES gaming with none of the gripes.
Xeodrifter - came almost out of nowhere, but it was a very charming short and sweet love letter to Metroid.
1001 Spikes - I'm not normally that into masocore games but this one really resonated with me.
Pushmo World - an improved version of Pushmo. I prefer 3DS for the series but the game was an improvement anyway.

I may be forgetting something since this was a fantastic year for gaming, and I didn't count VC.

Oh I meant....non-VC, just eShop games. I'm glad you like Minish Cap though, that's a real gem.

Lol I misunderstood.

In that case:

Shovel Knight
Master Reboot
Another World
Dr. Luigi
Guacamelee

Does anyone else feel like the eStore is lacking in adventure games???

Because the Gamepad would be perfect for ports of games like Kings Quest, The Dig, Monkey Island, Sam and Max, Leisure Suit Larry, etc.

Or for strategic/sim games like Sim City 2000/3, Warcraft 1-3, etc.

Basically, I'm griping that the Gamepad is extremely underutilized.

GRW810

Awesome week for Europe. Little jealous that they get 1 more eshop update with DDP.
I need something like 350 points to make up another eShop voucher. I think that's about £40. Not going to happen in the next few days. If I was within reach I'd buy something for the sake of it but it's not going to happen.

I really hope Nintendo extend the promotion. It's a realistic wish if they decide they've benefited from it in extra sales but I think we'd have heard by now. Instead I'm wondering whether those points in limbo between codes will be lost or if we'll be allowed to claim a one-off £1.22 in eShop credit, for example.

maxcriden

Lol I misunderstood.

In that case:

Shovel Knight
Master Reboot
Another World
Dr. Luigi
Guacamelee

Because the Gamepad would be perfect for ports of games like Kings Quest, The Dig, Monkey Island, Sam and Max, Leisure Suit Larry, etc.

If you're looking for P&C-style games, there are a bunch that kinda/sorta fit that bill between the eShop and Wii releases, thinking of stuff like:

The Cave
The Fall
The Swapper
Zack & Wiki (Wii)
Broken Sword (Wii)
Another Code R (Wii)
Tales of Monkey Island (WiiWare) (apparently this port might have some issues though)
Ace Attorney (WiiWare)

I think there's one in particular I'm trying to think of but can't...recent eShop release...not coming to mind but I'll post if I remember it!

Katsuragi

1. Shovel Knight: It pays homage to all the great games of the 8-bit era and incorporates a lot of modern design concepts at the same time. Plus the soundtrack is absolutely amazing.
2. Pushmo World: The definitive version of Pushmo. Polished, challenging and incredibly charming.
3. Mighty Gunvolt: I haven't played the DLC yet, but I had a lot of fun with the base game. I actually prefer Mighty Gunvolt to Azure Striker Gunvolt, which I haven't beaten yet.
4. The Swapper: I'm a sucker for science fiction and thus the setting of the game was very appealing to me. The Swapper is probably he most immersive puzzle-platformer I've ever played. Some of the puzzles are really clever.
5. Art of Balance. Similar to Pushmo World, Art of Balance feels like the definitive version of an idea that originally began on another platform. I think this is by far Shin'en's best game.

I've got about a tenner credit left in my 3DS account, which of these should I go for:

VVVVVV
Cave Story
Retro City Rampage

or... should I wait for Shovel Knight to go on sale and buy that instead?

(not played any of these games in any form btw!)

I've got about a tenner credit left in my 3DS account, which of these should I go for:

VVVVVV
Cave Story
Retro City Rampage

or... should I wait for Shovel Knight to go on sale and buy that instead?

(not played any of these games in any form btw!)

A very good list there, but my heart still belongs to Cave Story.

jholmes

In order:

• Shovel Knight
  • Scram Kitty and his Buddy on Rails
  • 1,001 Spikes
  • NES Remix 2
  • Guacamelee: Super Turbo Championship Edition

Honourable mention: Ittle Dew

Chopper

I've got 323 points til I can get one last code. I'm toying with the idea of picking up 3D World digitally. What's the file size?

TheMoon

Lol I misunderstood.

In that case:

Shovel Knight
Master Reboot
Another World
Dr. Luigi
Guacamelee

The GamePad is perfect for a ton of games since it is the most versatile console controller out there and would enable faithful ports of plenty of previously PC-bound games but nobody is making them which is a fucking shame.

The GamePad is perfect for a ton of games since it is the most versatile console controller out there and would enable faithful ports of plenty of previously PC-bound games but nobody is making them which is a fucking shame.

This is one of those moments where I wish I had the money to fund a Wii U port company and port over those games.

I want to play Fallout 2 or Planescape:Torment on my Gamepad ;_;.

No clue if these titles came out this year, but I really only started using the eshop this year for the Wii U at least.

1. Guacamelee- I think this is pretty much perfect.
2. Shovel Knight- I was worried this wouldn't live up to the hype but it did.
3.Steamworld Digg- This surprisingly glued me in, very unexpected. I thought I would dislike this title for sure, but now I'm looking to the next one.
4.Bit Trip 2 - pure addiction
5. Armillo- OH MY GOD LOOK HOW CUTE ARMILLO IS. Extremely charming game, pretty much played this 100% off the gamepad.

I'm looking to pick up these titles before the year ends

Shantae
Paper Monsters ( I missed the thanksgiving sale),
Spy Chameleon
Scram Kitty ( most likely)

Looking forward to these titles next year/ whenever

Hollow Knight
Beat Buddy
Legend of Rusty Puppy
Steamworld Heist
Midnora
Android Cactus Assault

That's pretty much it for me besides a few on the fence games.

GulAtiCa

1. Shovel Knight
2. 1001 Spikes
3. Stealth Inc 2
4. Thomas Was Alone
5. Scram Kitty

Honorable mentions: PING 1.5+, Armillo, Steamworld Dig.

I actually got like 10+ eShop games I've yet to play... Like Guacamelee, Paper Monsters, Little Dew, etc etc lol

Chrom

1. Rusty's Real Deal Baseball: Highly fun, highly addicting. Each specific game is packed with content. Totally did not expect to like the game this much.
2. NES Remix 2: Great follow-up to the original with better games and more varied challenges.
3. ZaciSa's Last Stand: A simple tower defense game with a surprising amount of depth and thought put into it. I love how well it uses the Wii U GamePad, and it's got cool music.
4. Pushmo World: The definitive Pushmo game. Visually pleasing and I love how easy it is to see what other players create.
5. Tappingo: It's not quite as good as Picross, but it is nonetheless a relaxing alternative.

Honorable mentions: Mighty Gunvolt, Steel Diver: Sub Wars, Retro City Rampage DX, Xeodrifter. I've actually played the latter two but didn't want to list them because I played them on PC instead and wanted to be more fair.

TheMoon

I actually got like 10+ eShop games I've yet to play... Like Guacamelee, Paper Monsters, Little Dew, etc etc lol

Ittle Dew. Not Little Dew. "Little" is the effort they put into their European release. "Ittle Dew" is what they said when deciding to not release in Germany. Easy to remember. ;)

GulAtiCa

Interesting! Will there be some sort of graphical hook for this game too?

I'm not sure. I do have an idea for very simple look of colored lines & shapes. Like a green outlined box, gold outlined star, red outlined spinning blades blades. Not sure if it would work or not. I'll try it out in early Jan for a preview and get people's advice on if they like it or not. Else, I will hire an artist to do the graphics.

maxcriden

I Don't have a 3DS & I don't wish to spend the money for only 1-2 games either.

I played Oracle of Ages on release. Never tried Oracle of Seasons or linking them together.

Ah, man. There must be more than 1-2 games you'd enjoy on 3DS, though. Plus you can get a 2DS for like $80 these days!

Ah, man. There must be more than 1-2 games you'd enjoy on 3DS, though. Plus you can get a 2DS for like $80 these days!

I'm not much of a Pokemon fan anymore, so maybe Fire Emblem?

The 3DS store has the Pokemon TCG that I loved playing, so there's that.

Otherwise, If I was to balk and get a 3DS, it might as well be the N3DS.

maxcriden

I'm not much of a Pokemon fan anymore, so maybe Fire Emblem?

The 3DS store has the Pokemon TCG that I loved playing, so there's that.

Otherwise, If I was to balk and get a 3DS, it might as well be the N3DS.

The coming N3DS definitely is improved. If you don't care about 3D though, the 2DS is an incredible value in comparison.

You wouldn't be interested in 3DL, DKCR 3D, Kid Icarus: Uprising (!), NSMB2, Kirby: Triple Deluxe, or Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, though? (And that's just assuming you like the games I like, there are a lot more out there: http://www.nintendolife.com/3ds/games?region=usa&sort=rating)

The coming N3DS definitely is improved. If you don't care about 3D though, the 2DS is an incredible value in comparison.

You wouldn't be interested in 3DL, DKCR 3D, Kid Icarus: Uprising (!), NSMB2, Kirby: Triple Deluxe, or Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, though? (And that's just assuming you like the games I like, there are a lot more out there: http://www.nintendolife.com/3ds/games?region=usa&sort=rating)

Kid Icarus is the only Nintendo IP there that has grabbed me.

Bravely Default maybe? Cave Story 3D?

Otherwise, I don't think I'm missing out on much.

maxcriden

Kid Icarus is the only Nintendo IP there that has grabbed me.

Bravely Default maybe? Cave Story 3D?

Otherwise, I don't think I'm missing out on much.

Ah, man. Those are such great games. ;__: I understand, though; sounds like they're just not your thing. Anyway, I'm not an RPG guy, apart from games like Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi, but if you are, though, there are tons on 3DS like EO and SMT games, in addition to stuff like Bravely Default and Pokemon.

Ah, man. Those are such great games. ;__: I understand, though; sounds like they're just not your thing. Anyway, I'm not an RPG guy, apart from games like Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi, but if you are, though, there are tons on 3DS like EO and SMT games, in addition to stuff like Bravely Default and Pokemon.

They are, just not on handheld.

I have softball sized hands/fingers. Handhelds that go for small (like the Vita) face button/small analog sticks are not for me.

maxcriden

They are, just not on handheld.

I have softball sized hands/fingers. Handhelds that go for small (like the Vita) face button/small analog sticks are not for me.

Oh, I see. Have you tried a 3DS XL? I think the New 3DS XL is only a tiny bit larger than the current model.

maxcriden

New 3DS XL is the exact same size as the regular 3DS XL.

The New 3DS is the one that is a bit larger than the regular 3DS.

ksmqfmxurodbcx3zemkb.png

sn0uyribsuokfvcuendu.png

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2014/08/how-does-the-new-3ds-compare-to-the-old-one/

As promised, "only a tiny bit" larger. ;)

FWIW I didn't mention the 3DS vs. N3DS size because it's already the smaller model, so less suitable for DoktorEvil's needs.

========
Price Reductions

Wii U
Shovel Knight (Yacht Club Games) - €9.99/£8.66 (Ends January 8, regular price €14.99/£12.99)

Fuck this. I knew that this would happen...I bought Shovel Knight yesterday to gain the last points for the DDP. I got 5 Euros eshop credit but overpayed by the same amount...

If I had know this earlier I would have bought two VC games instead. I was actually thinking about that but I really wanted to play Shovel Knight. On the other hand, it has been a great game so far and paying 5 Euros extra isn't as bad considering Yacht Club Games will get more money.

tolkir

Best year of Wii U eShop.

1. Scram Kitty and His Buddy on Rails
2. Teslagrad
3. Shovel Knight
4. Unepic
5. Ittle Dew

Honorable mentions: Siesta Fiesta, The Legend of Dark Witch, Lone Survivor: The Director's Cut, Stick it to the Man!, Armillo, Nintendo Pocket Football Club

2015 WishList (Europe)

01. Citizens of Earth
02. Hyper Light Drifter
03. Affordable Space Adventures
04. Assault Android Cactus
05. Both Shantaes
06. Rive
07. Chromophore: The Two Brothers Director's Cut
08. Heart Forth, Alicia
09. Sword & Soldiers II
10. Gunvolt

Looks very good the next year.

maxcriden

Best year of Wii U eShop.

1. Scram Kitty and His Buddy on Rails
2. Teslagrad
3. Shovel Knight
4. Unepic
5. Ittle Dew

Nice list! I gotta try Ittle Dew then. I like the style of Teslagrad and I wish I could play it but the mechanic where fast-jumping causes a flash on the screen every time is really triggering for migraines for me.

GulAtiCa

PEGI invoice has been paid. Now got to make a 30 minute video and upload it to them (that will be a huge filesize...). Should get the rating back in early Jan. As soon as I get the rating, I can submit to Europe :)

Looking forward to my monthly royalty cheques for the title!

Good luck! ;) Can't wait for the USK release.

I'll be sending those pennies soon enough! :p

I'll start looking into USK this week as well.

Pretty sure Ubisoft DLC (or any DLC period, for that matter) has never, ever been on sales. I know because I've been wanting to get some of the AC3 DLC, but never got to because no way in hell I'm paying the same amount as I did for the full game (30€) just for the DLC.

And they've never discounted those, sadly... or maybe not sadly, that money I saved went to something much better, in retrospect :p

Maybe it was just the NA DLC that been on sale? This would have been over a year ago, so I may be remembering things wrong.

Top Bottom