• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - December 2014

maxcriden

Logged onto the 3DS eshop to grab NES Remix today and while I clearly didn't realize it isn't available until tomorrow I also didn't realize it was going to be $34.99 (CDN). What makes this entry worth nearly twice what the previous entries coat?! Nintendo's pricing just seems out of whack this week (Commander Toad as well).

Please don't buy this game. It is lacking a lot of the content from NES Remix 1+2. The price is just ridiculous. Go with the originals instead.

(Captain Toad price is great though IMO. I'd gladly pay 3DW price for it so it's a nice bonus that it's any cheaper.)

It's a "Best of" the first two NES Remix games. Essentially NES Remix 1+2 is a better deal for the gaming content, but the 3DS has 1) leaderboards, 2) less lesser franchises, and 3) portability.

It's a compilation of both games. Minus all the games nobody cares about anyway. Plus new stuff (Speed Mario Bros) and Famicom Remix (harder) challenges.

Hey, lots of those games no one normally cares about made for some very good challenges in the original NES Remix. Plus, it's also lacking the excellent Miiverse replay feature from the (second?) iteration. Regardless, it's a silly price for what you get as a portable and content-lacking re-release.

Please don't buy this game. It is lacking a lot of the content from NES Remix 1+2. The price is just ridiculous. Go with the originals instead.

(Captain Toad price is great though IMO. I'd gladly pay 3DW price for it so it's a nice bonus that it's any cheaper.)

Hey, lots of those games no one normally cares about made for some very good challenges in the original NES Remix. Plus, it's also lacking the excellent Miiverse replay feature from the (second?) iteration. Regardless, it's a silly price for what you get as a portable and content-lacking re-release.

Yeah will likely pass on it. Just can't believe how out of depth Nintendo continues to be when it comes to marketing and general functionality of their titles. You established a price for the NES remix series with the first two releases you can't just double the price because you added leaderboards (though that was one of the biggest selling points for my friends and I).

Between this, no voice chat during gameplay in MK8 and SSB and the DDP promotion expiring at the end of the month I just don't know how much more of my money Nintendo is going to see throughout the holidays/next year.

Don't get me wrong, they've crafted some of the best games of the generation this year but it's painful to watch them continue to flounder on every aspect outside of game design.

/rant

zroid

Banned
Uo3DH5N.png

hype

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
One part of me wants to ask for Ultimate NES Remix for Xmas because I want to support it so it could possibly lead to stuff like Game Boy or SNES Remix because I like the idea. But I already have both on Wii U and $30 just feels a bit much for a "Best of" from both games & no new challenges. I guess this is meant more for those who don't have a Wii U yet &/or would rather have it be portable.

TheMoon

Yeah will likely pass on it. Just can't believe how out of depth Nintendo continues to be when it comes to marketing and general functionality of their titles. You established a price for the NES remix series with the first two releases you can't just double the price because you added leaderboards (though that was one of the biggest selling points for my friends and I).

Between this, no voice chat during gameplay in MK8 and SSB and the DDP promotion expiring at the end of the month I just don't know how much more of my money Nintendo is going to see throughout the holidays/next year.

Don't get me wrong, they've crafted some of the best games of the generation this year but it's painful to watch them continue to flounder on every aspect outside of game design.

/rant

They're not doubling the price. This isn't NES Remix 3. This is a blend of both with other stuff added on top.

tolkir

Week finished

7f5TM.png

Wii U | eShop Original Software, Downloadable Content and Demos

Wii U | Virtual Console

Wii U | Sales

• Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two (Disney | $9.99 until 12/08, then $19.99)
  • Disney Planes (Disney | $9.99 until 12/08, then $19.99)
  • 99 Seconds (EnjoyUp Games | $1.49 until 12/26, then $2.49)

Nintendo 3DS | eShop Original Software, Downloadable Content and Demos

Nintendo 3DS | Sales

• Disney Epic Mickey: Power of Illusion (Disney | $9.99 until 12/08, then $19.99)
  • Disney Planes (Disney | $9.99 until 12/08, then $19.99)
  • Disney/Pixar Finding Nemo: Escape to the Big Blue Edition (Disney | $9.99 until 12/08, then $19.99)
  • AeternoBlade (Corecell Technology | $7.99 until 12/19, then $14.99) Upcoming 12/05
  • Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan (Atlus | $14.99 until 12/22, then $29.99) Upcoming 12/08
  • Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers (Atlus | $14.99 until 12/22, then $29.99) Upcoming 12/08
  • AiRace Xeno (QubicGames | $1.69 until 12/25, then $2.49)

vYU92.png

Wii U | Virtual Console

Wii U | Sales

• Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two (Disney | €17.49 | £14.99 until 12/11, then €34.99 | £29.99)
  • DuckTales: Remastered (Capcom | €7.49 | £5.99 until 12/11, then €14.99 | £11.99)
  • Abyss (EnjoyUp Games | €1.49 | £1.34 until 12/25, then €1.99 | £1.79)
  • 99 Seconds (EnjoyUp Games | €1.49 | £1.34 until 12/25, then €2.49 | £2.29)
  • Fit Music for Wii U (Oxygenes Rl | €14.90 | £12.40 until 01/30, then €29.90 | £24.90)
  • Luv Me Buddies Wonderland (Oxygenes Rl | €14.90 | £12.40 until 01/30, then €29.90 | £24.90)

• Shin Megami Tensei IV (Atlus)
    Radiant Equipment (€0.99 | £0.75)
    For the Past… For the Future (€1.99 | £1.59)
  • Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth (Atlus)
    Sub-Persona: Thanatos (€1.99 | £1.79)
    Sub-Persona: Magatsu-Izanagi (€1.99 | £1.79)
    Sub-Persona: Orpheus Telos (Free)

Nintendo 3DS | Virtual Console

Nintendo 3DS | Sales

• Disney Epic Mickey: Power of Illusion (Disney | €9.99 | £8.99 until 12/11, then €19.99 | £17.99)
  • Crash City Mayhem (Ghostlight | €7.99 | £6.99 until 12/18, then €19.99 | £17.99)
  • Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked (Ghostlight | €11.99 | £9.99 until 12/18, then €34.99 | £29.99)

uxwGK.png

Wii U | Virtual Console

Bulzeeb

I assume there's no need to ask if this game is good, or even if it's a good deal.
I just want to know where in the series this is. I know they don't have story, but I got confused with sequels, remakes and the rest.

the game is great and don't worry about the story, I am currently playing it and it was also my first game in the series

Fewr

EO IV is the latest mainline title in the series that's been released. EO:Untold is a remake of the first game that came out after EO IV. EO:Untold 2 is a remake of the second game but that has yet to arrive in NA.
Thanks, it makes sense now.

the game is great and don't worry about the story, I am currently playing it and it was also my first game in the series
I'll definitely get it. I played the original a bit, but not long enough to remember that there was an auto-attack option (I complained about it here, and got told off lol).

I'm worried about the time I'll need for this, but I'll get it anyway.

Thanks both.

Zeeman

Now that Fire Emblem's out in NA, which the best introductory SRPG between Fire Emblem and Advance Wars? I'm intrigued by the genre but haven't really played much of it.

terrisus

Now that Fire Emblem's out in NA, which the best introductory SRPG between Fire Emblem and Advance Wars? I'm intrigued by the genre but haven't really played much of it.

I wouldn't call Advance Wars much of an "SRPG."
It's basically just a turn-based strategy game.

So, Fire Emblem.

Zeeman

OK, I am exposing my ignorance to strategy games in general, apparently. What's the distinction between the two in this case? Is it just that Fire Emblem has distinct characters and more of a story?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Advance Wars is more about buying different armory and knowing when to deploy them/which ones will be the most helpful for the moment, while Fire Emblem is selecting characters before the battle begins, and the fact there's perma-death (aside from casual in Awakening), meaning you have to be much more careful about your actions.

Edit: Daydreaming also explains it well. FE has RPG elements like leveling up, equipment, etc. while AW doesn't.

daydream

Banned
OK, I am exposing my ignorance to strategy games in general, apparently. What's the distinction between the two in this case? Is it just that Fire Emblem has distinct characters and more of a story?

Fire Emblem aka the Strategy *RPG* - You have named characters with stats, levels, equipment, classes, weaknesses/strengths, etc. An RPG on a grid.

Advance Wars aka the Turn-based Strategy/Puzzle game - You have resources with which you buy different kinds of units. The units are nameless and disposable. There is no progression (well, you unlock some new units) but the maps and COs change (the Commanding Officers, each with different powers, strengths/weaknesses that apply to all/some of their units). Your job is to figure out what units to employ, when to attack, what buildings to capture, etc.

They share the strategy element, that's it.

Fire Emblem is fantastic but my heart is with Advance Wars.

terrisus

Yeah, when Advance Wars came out here, I remember thinking, "This is alright I guess... But, I really wish it had RPG stats."
Then Fire Emblem came out here, and basically rendered Advance Wars obsolete to me.

Not to say that's the case for everyone - they're two different kinds of games, and one could appeal to someone more than another either way.
But, that's how it was/is for me anyway.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Sonic Boom demo on Wii U has 8 plays.

...........probably the only time I don't feel like complaining about a low play limit amount....

& NO, you can't use the Knuckles jumping glitch. I tried.

Robin64

Weird that themes don't go up when the eShop updates. Excitedly went to get my Animal Crossing Christmas theme and nope, not there. :(

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
So yeah.

Sonic Boom demo confirms the game is indeed bad.

AND ANNOYING BECAUSE NOBODY CAN SHUT UP FOR MORE THAN 5 SECONDS.

jholmes

From what I got out of the interview it seems like they treated the port like a side project and just got tired of working on it and just decided to release the thing.

Wow, I kinda regret paying full price for the game now, to be honest.

Interested for the Curve news!

Tizoc

Legend of Dark Witch is AWESOME. I like that it lets you keep points even if you quit/exit a stage.

When it comes to Installing, should I set it to auto or just buff certain abilities first?

SCAT is pretty cool too, funkiest shmup I've played yet.

TheMoon

so if I have both of the NES Remix on WiiU, I should just avoid the 3DS one?

The only new content for you would be Speed Mario Bros and Famicom Remix challenges (based on Famicom versions of the games). And online leaderboards. And portability.

me0wish

How is Mickey Power of Illusion? I hated the demo but loved Monster Tale, so I thought maybe the demo sucked?

Legend of Dark Witch is AWESOME.
When it comes to Installing, should I set it to auto or just buff certain abilities first?

It is AWESOME and EVERYONE here should buy it! And when installing I would usually do speed and wings first if I remember correctly, depends on the level, never tried auto so I cannot comment on that.

daydream

Banned
How is Mickey Power of Illusion? I hated the demo but loved Monster Tale, so I thought maybe the demo sucked?

Stay the f away.

Sluggish and slow controls paired with uninteresting or annoying (touch) mechanics, repetitive level design, forgettable soundtrack (aside from the Enchanted Forest remix, I guess). Only plus is the animation/spritework. Go look at some screens or videos for that.

me0wish

That bad huh? Actually the sprites are what made me want to give the game a second chance.

Oh well thanks for letting me know I should stay away :p

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Any idea when Lufia: The Legend Returns is coming to the NA VC?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Finally a Card game coming the Wii U
Lucadian Chronicles
And it's free to play too

Also, I Love My Little Boy and I Love My Little Girl are games coming to the 3DS
All coming December 11

Did we already talk about Lucadian Chronicles getting announced for release on the WiiU next week?

Looks like they are going for the Sub Wars model with it.

I don't mind F2P if implemented right.

To be honest I'm cautiously optimistic, and sorta wanna get on the hype train.

mstevens

Picked up Fire Emblem just to support (too much on my plate atm to play it... I will eventually)

Didn't realize Mega Man 7 got released. I beat 1-6 on the 3DS so I guess I'll do this one next. Never played it before.

sörine

Banned
Picked up Ultimate NES Remix and the shop won't recognize my download code for the Famicom theme. Ugh, hopefully it registers in the morning.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
latest

300K sold and counting.

This will only work with a PAL Wii U, aka Europe and Australia.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away an item. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This is a giveaway for the thread url: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=942484.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Roboleon, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

x0NgVuQ.png
Shovel Knight (eshop) -- MB-6410D82E4FA407AB - Taken by Starwolf_UK. 4 entrants total.

t1417779318z1.png

I found it too easy and not very exciting, but my wife loved it. I would say it's a good game for Disney fans with little gaming experience looking for an easygoing experience. If you didn't like the demo, I don't think you should get it.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
sörine;141726442 said:
Picked up Ultimate NES Remix and the shop won't recognize my download code for the Famicom theme. Ugh, hopefully it registers in the morning.
Maybe it'll register it at 9 AM PST/Noon EST, since that's the normal time the eShop updates.

Just popped onto the Wii U eShop. No SSB music playing despite them saying it would :(

On the other hand the 3DS eShop has the ORAS Pokémart theme playing.

Top Bottom