• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - December 2014

maxcriden

I played it on iOS a while back. It's sort of a Zelda-like lite. Combat is automatic, you walk over enemies and they die, you lose HP and gain EXP, and your HP refills when you step on a healing circle or level up.

It took me about 3 hours my first playthrough, and if I recall it's a little grindy but not bad. Might be worth a few bucks.

Oh, neat. Thank you. I would hope that as a 3DS port it might have manual combat? If not I don't think it would interest me. Thanks for the info regardless!

I wasn't talking about Nintendo specifically (although still waiting for a Sakura Samurai discount in PAL Nintendo. >_>) so I guess I'll blame them and everyone else then.

There hasn't been anything I've been interested in that I don't already own discounted on the PAL release list for awhile now... I'm not just looking for reasons to complain, if there was something I would have purchased it and got my DDP coupon. I feel like every week I look and its Angry Bunnies, Abyss and Resident Evil etc.

I don't think Ping 1.5+ is available in my region.

SerTapTap

Dunno where to ask, extended Wii U gamepad battery--worth it? I'm buying Pikmin Wii refurbed from the Nintendo online store, I don't want the $5 shipping to go to waste on a $15 item but I'm not sure about the battery. Does it give better piece of mind? I leave mine in the cradle at all times when not in use, I don't usually run out of battery but I always worry about it. If I could leave it out and on but not worry about it dying before going back in the cradle I guess that's good enough. Does the weight it adds matter much?

me0wish

As someone who takes his WiiU everywhere, yes it is worth it, but tbh it doesn't seem to be worth it for you, as you have no battery issue with the thing. I am not really bothered with the weight, almost feels the same.

also

Banned
There are several more flaws with the game. I'd say most of the cast is annoying or uninteresting, some are even worse than in the original due to the bad VA. And the game needs a long time to get good and replaying it is a pain because of that and the absence of real skip-options.

But yeah, at it's core it is a pretty great SRPG and a real challenge in its final battles and for that price I'd recommend everyone to give it a try.
I liked the cast :/
The only really bad VA is Midori and her grating, high pitched voice felt like a parody of badly dubbed anime, so in the end it didn't bother me that much. But hey if you don't like the VA, you can always turn it off.

The beginning is the usual tutorial and scenario building stuff but it doesn't take long for things to get interesting. I'd say that you should be hooked by the 2nd or at most 3rd day.

It's true that you can't skip battles on repeated playthroughs but they'll only take you a few minutes at most if you brought over any of your demons. The text skip is also pretty fast and, there's a few bonus battles to spice things up.

TheMoon

Dunno where to ask, extended Wii U gamepad battery--worth it? I'm buying Pikmin Wii refurbed from the Nintendo online store, I don't want the $5 shipping to go to waste on a $15 item but I'm not sure about the battery. Does it give better piece of mind? I leave mine in the cradle at all times when not in use, I don't usually run out of battery but I always worry about it. If I could leave it out and on but not worry about it dying before going back in the cradle I guess that's good enough. Does the weight it adds matter much?

I bought one a couple of months ago and while it does get a tiny bit heavier, I feel it was worth it so I didn't have to worry anymore about putting it back on the charging stand immediately after every session. With the extended battery you'll likely never see the red light again unless you're very forgetful :D

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I bought one a couple of months ago and while it does get a tiny bit heavier, I feel it was worth it so I didn't have to worry anymore about putting it back on the charging stand immediately after every session. With the extended battery you'll likely never see the red light again unless you're very forgetful :D

This is promising...

I was pissed because my wife and I were playing MK8 last night for only an hour when her controller started to die. The battery on this thing is garbage. Where do I get this item? I see one on Amazon, but it's $54.

maxcriden

Not to be a naysayer, but if you have an outlet near where you play your Wii U, is there any benefit to the extended battery?

Bought this on a whim this past Saturday:

Nyko-Pro-Charge-Station-U-i.jpg

20 bucks was worth it alone just for the battery packs for the Wiimotes.

I Recommend it just for the battery packs

It's called the Nyko Pro Charge Station.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Not to be a naysayer, but if you have an outlet near where you play your Wii U, is there any benefit to the extended battery?

My issue is that my Wii U is in my office. When we setup the Wii U to play on our huge TV in the family room, there's no outlet nearby. :(

TheMoon

This is promising...

I was pissed because my wife and I were playing MK8 last night for only an hour when her controller started to die. The battery on this thing is garbage. Where do I get this item? I see one on Amazon, but it's $54.

In the US you buy it directly from Nintendo.

Your battery died after an hour? Then it wasn't fully charged. Minimum is 3 hours. Did you maybe have the brightness and audio on full blast the whole time or something?

I do have the charging station right next to the couch. But I move around a lot. Sometimes I play in another chair, sometimes I play at my desk or play in bed at night/in the morning. So yes. :)

But knowing how you use the thing and deciding accordingly is key, of course.

maxcriden

My issue is that my Wii U is in my office. When we setup the Wii U to play on our huge TV in the family room, there's no outlet nearby. :(

Your battery died after an hour? Then it wasn't fully charged. Minimum is 3 hours. Did you maybe have the brightness and audio on full blast the whole time or something?

I do have the charging station right next to the couch. But I move around a lot. Sometimes I play in another chair, sometimes I play at my desk or play in bed at night/in the morning. So yes. :)

That's true. I dunno. It's not *really* portable for me and I get poor reception for the Wii U GamePad outside of the living room, so I don't think I need one. I understand the need for those who do, I guess I just see people online often saying the battery life is awful (and I agree when fully charged it's about 3 hours) but I wonder if those people in general do not have an outlet nearby when playing, and if it's more convenience than need. Anyway, I'm glad you'll both benefit from improved batteries. :)

GulAtiCa

Actually, Nintendo is also to blame for not stimulating 3rd party publishers to do sales. Take SCEE for example, do you think the publishers called each other and organized the 12 deals of Christmas? Nope, Sony set it up.

An organized sale will have better visibility, and publishers will be much more likely to participate. If, for example, Nintendo contacted indies and said: ''Hey we are doing a Christimas Indies sale form XX to XX. If you want to participate fill out this form for each of your games you want on sale.'' I'm sure we would see more discounted games.

But as it stands, Nintendo doesn't do nearly enough of themed sales, so publishers are left to their own devices and I can see why they are reluctant to lower the price.

I'd love themed sales, even flash sales from Nintendo. Esp as a dev.

But outside of that, it's up to the dev. I'm more arguing on the side of seeing people be idiots (more on twitter/not here) that bitch to Nintendo's twitter account when a indie game goes on sale and bitches at them saying they didn't want it and "how dare Nintendo"...

nicoga3000

Saint Nic

It started to die within an hour because I was using it earlier in the evening for an hour or so. It's just crazy how fast it dies in general.

Is it bad to put the controller on the charger after any play session? I know you're typically supposed to drain a battery before charging it, but I wasn't sure if that's how it worked for this battery.

donny2112

I guess I just see people online often saying the battery life is awful (and I agree when fully charged it's about 3 hours) but I wonder if those people in general do not have an outlet nearby when playing, and if it's more convenience than need.

Cannot recommend the Wii U extended battery from Nintendo's store enough. Really makes a difference, if you can use the Off-TV play where you want to. With the ease of removal of the n3DS backing, am expecting an official battery extension from Nintendo for those, as well.

Edit:
Here's the link for the extended battery from Nintendo's store.

TheMoon

It started to die within an hour because I was using it earlier in the evening for an hour or so. It's just crazy how fast it dies in general.

Is it bad to put the controller on the charger after any play session? I know you're typically supposed to drain a battery before charging it, but I wasn't sure if that's how it worked for this battery.

That's why the charging cradle exists. So you can put it on there at any point.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
That's why the charging cradle exists. So you can put it on there at any point.

Cool - I didn't want to kill my battery faster, but it sounds like I should just deal with it.

However, I'll probably buy the extended battery at some point anyways. I want to grab a few games first (battery is sort of secondary to those right now), but it's on my list.

terrisus

Instead of an extended battery, I've just bought a couple of extra charging cables for different locations.
Works for me.

zroid

Banned
Instead of an extended battery, I've just bought a couple of extra charging cables for different locations.
Works for me.

This is definitely something I should do. I hate having to unplug the cord from the cradle when I'm low on charge but still playing.

SerTapTap

Works for me.

Layout of my house/living room doesn't work well for this. And while I've resigned myself to having cords everywhere, I still don't like charging cables lying out in the open. Most of my cord-mess is all squirreled away behind the entertainment center and PC desk. I think I'll nab that battery just so I stop thinking about it.

Ah, that's too bad. Probably not my kind of thing then. Thanks for the info!
I haven't seen a lot of Fairune but what BooJoh described sounds to me a lot like what old games like Hydlide or even the first few Ys games did with their battles, and those are great games that are considered true classics, so don't be so hasty dissing on this! XD Fairune looks more like a puzzle game than an RPG to me, anyway. It looks cute, I'm interested, and at that price I'll consider it if I manage to get some credit through Club Nintendo games before the DDP thing ends.

Any bets on when Lufia: The Legend Returns will hit 3DS VC in NA? Natsume were shooting for November in NA/EU, EU got it in November, but NA is still waiting. Every Thursday, I log on at noon to check, and thus far, my heartbreak only continues.

I mean, sure, I could start a new game on my old cartridge copy and play on my SP, but the idea of playing on 3DS XL just has me so warm inside :(

Any bets on when Lufia: The Legend Returns will hit 3DS VC in NA? Natsume were shooting for November in NA/EU, EU got it in November, but NA is still waiting. Every Thursday, I log on at noon to check, and thus far, my heartbreak only continues.

I mean, sure, I could start a new game on my old cartridge copy and play on my SP, but the idea of playing on 3DS XL just has me so warm inside :(
Just letting you know that VC doesn't get announced much in advance. If there isn't any in the preceding week's PR, then we shouldn't see it until Wednesday before release (usually VC release on Thursday at noon EST)

maxcriden

Did I ask y'all for Wii VC recommendations recently? Or just about DoReMi and Ristar? I want to say it was the latter, so here goes: I've got 2400 Wii points burning a hole in my digital wallet and I want to pick up some Wii VC or WiiWare gems. I love unusual games, especially platformers. I'm a big Zelda fan. I guess I have pretty narrow focus as a gamer. I like some puzzle platformers or puzzlers with progression to them like Pushmo World. Hmm...I don't care for shooters or sports games really. I'm not much for RPGs generally except the Paper & Luigi series. I...tend to like Nintendo games significantly more than most other games. I feel like I've purchased and/or played most games I've been interested in, so please school me. What's Nintendo-like or from Nintendo, on the Wii shop, and under my radar? (BTW, you can presume I've got all the standard Mario, Zelda, Kirby games.)

Thanks!

ETA: I should also mention that the DKC trilogy is something I haven't really played.

Sumico is coming to the EU 3DS eShop December 18 for €2.99

Also, Shantae might make it to the NA Wii U before the end of the year. as it is the final stages of testing at NoA
Here's the trailer

In addition, the following are coming to 3DS eShop in addition to what's known
Dec 11
Hazumi (Gamelion) -$3.99
My First Songs 2 (Ringzero Games) -$4.99
Talking Phrasebook - 7 Languages(Sanuk Games) - $4.99
Dec 16
Angry Birds Trilogy(Activision) -$29.99
Angry Birds Star Wars(Activision) -$29.99
Moshi Monsters Theme Park(Activision) -$29.99
Moshi Monsters Katsuma Unleashed(Activision) -$24.99

Japan's eShop update next week

3DS
Dec. 17
Bike Rider DX 3- Time Rider (Spicy Soft)- 600 yen
Simple DL Series Vol. 35- The Curse of Waste School-The Curse of the Mask and Twin Girls - 520 yen
Ishi Sengoku-den “Sadame” (Intergrow)- 800 yen

Dec 18
Final Fantasy Explorers (Square Enix) - 4860
Rilakkuma Nakayoshi Collection (Rocket Company) - 5184 yen
SEGA 3D Classics Collection - 4298 yen
Sonic Toon: Island Adventure (SEGA) -5378 yen
12 Year Old (Happinet) -5480 yen

Wii U
Dec. 17
Steamworld Dig (Intergrow) - 800yen
KemonoDash - 500 yen
Mega Man Battle Network 3(GBA) - 702 yen
Mega Man Battle Network 3 Black (GBA) - 702 yen
Moto Roader (PCE) -617 yen
Digital Champ (PCE) - 617 yen
Vampire Killer (Castlevania) (MSX) - 823 yen
Dec. 18
Sonic Toon: Ancient Treasure (SEGA) - 7538 yen

Also, I spot that there are Legend of the Dark Witch themes via my twitter feed

Nairume

Banned
Did I ask y'all for Wii VC recommendations recently? Or just about DoReMi and Ristar? I want to say it was the latter, so here goes: I've got 2400 Wii points burning a hole in my digital wallet and I want to pick up some Wii VC or WiiWare gems. I love unusual games, especially platformers. I'm a big Zelda fan. I guess I have pretty narrow focus as a gamer. I like some puzzle platformers or puzzlers with progression to them like Pushmo World. Hmm...I don't care for shooters or sports games really. I'm not much for RPGs generally except the Paper & Luigi series. I...tend to like Nintendo games significantly more than most other games. I feel like I've purchased and/or played most games I've been interested in, so please school me. What's Nintendo-like or from Nintendo, on the Wii shop, and under my radar? (BTW, you can presume I've got all the standard Mario, Zelda, Kirby games.)

Thanks!

ETA: I should also mention that the DKC trilogy is something I haven't really played.
If you've not played any of the DKCs yet, I'd at least pick up the first or second and just have them ready to upgrade when they come out on the WiiU VC the next time the eShop has a slow week. Or are they still delisted? I forgot.

In terms of Zelda-likes, consider the Neutopia games for the TG-16. The first game is a reasonable Zelda 1 clone, and the second is a good attempt at doing ALttP shortly before that game came out. Also consider Landstalker. It's difficult, but I think you may like it being a Zelda-like with platforming.

Also consider Dragon's Curse (the TG16 version, avoid the Master System version since it's obsolete) and either Dynastic Hero or Wonder Boy in Monster World (they are the same game, so it comes down to whether you want CD audio and cutscenes or not).

jholmes

Thanks!

Unusual platformer recommendation: Bravoman
Puzzle platformer recommendation: Solomon's Key
Recommendation to change your mind about shooters: Lords of Thunder

SerTapTap

Lords of Thunder is great but also really hard. Granted I can't immediately think of any good but fairly forgiving things on VC. Final Solider is pretty fun and a bit more towards the easy side IMO.

tebunker

Banned

I can't remember is Blazing Lazers on VC? Man that was the bomb shooter back in the day. Not to mention the soldier blade games.

I have been thinking about using next year to just fill out the TG-16 and Neo Geo libraries and go all in on the Wii VC, but I don't think I can squeeze all of that on to the SD Card, because it is limited to 2GB right....

Air Zonk is another good, not Super Air Zonk, but the regular Hu-Card one, I got confused and bought Super and was sad I messed that up.

jholmes

I can't remember is Blazing Lazers on VC? Man that was the bomb shooter back in the day. Not to mention the soldier blade games.

I have been thinking about using next year to just fill out the TG-16 and Neo Geo libraries and go all in on the Wii VC, but I don't think I can squeeze all of that on to the SD Card, because it is limited to 2GB right....

Air Zonk is another good, not Super Air Zonk, but the regular Hu-Card one, I got confused and bought Super and was sad I messed that up.

Air Zonk is also badass, definitely. Speaking of which, Max, sort of an obvious recommendation, but if you haven't played the Bonk games, especially the first one, that's an excellent platformer and just a little different.

Man God

Non-Canon Member

SDHC. 32 GB, probably enough room to store every game on the eshop!

rjc571

Banned
Lords of Thunder is great but also really hard. Granted I can't immediately think of any good but fairly forgiving things on VC. Final Solider is pretty fun and a bit more towards the easy side IMO.

Too bad Star Parodier was delisted. It was the best SHMUP on VC and fairly easy as well.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Hmm, that remake of the Genesis shmup? For $16, I'm a bit more tempted to get it compared to $30. Wouldn't mind hearing some opinions on it.

Top Bottom