• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Q1 FY 24/25 Earnings Release: Hardware 2.10m LTD 143.42m. PM:TTYD 1.76m, LM2HD 1.19m

The remake of Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door was the best selling game of Q1

QUDW7Vr.jpeg

Nintendo's earnings release for the 1st quarter of the fiscal year ending March 31st 2025 has been published, this covers the three month period from April 1st to June 30th 2024. Nintendo shipped 2.10 million units of Switch hardware and 30.64 million units of Switch software bringing lifetime totals to 143.42 million for hardware and 1266.46 million for software.

Year over year quarter 1 hardware sales are 1.81 million down from 3.91 million and software sales are 21.56 million down from 52.20 million.

Two titles sold over one million units this quarter, these were new releases Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door (1.76 million) and Luigi's Mansion 2 HD (1.19 million).

For the current fiscal year Nintendo maintain their Switch forecast of 13.5 million units for hardware and 165 million units for software.

9inPxdv.png

Hardware

Switch Hardware Q1: 2.10m
Regional Split Q1: Japan 790k, Americas 650k, Europe 410k, Other 250k
Model Variants Q1: Standard 530k, Lite 330k, Oled 1.24m

Switch Hardware Total: 143.42m
Regional Split Total: Japan 34.80m, Americas 55.17m, Europe 36.89m, Other 16.56m
Model Variants Total: Standard 93.97m, Lite 23.87m, Oled 25.58m

Global Shipment History (millions)

OC82NQK.png

Software

Switch Software Q1: 30.64m
Regional Split Q1: Japan 6.84m, Americas 12.80m, Europe 8.61m, Other 2.39m
Tie Ratio Q1: 14.59

Switch Software Total: 1266.46m
Regional Split Total: Japan 246.76m, Americas 552.99m, Europe 366.93m, Other 99.79m
Tie Ratio Total: 8.83

Global Shipment History (millions)

SAjJBff.png

Nintendo reports sales data for software charting in the top 10 or that has sold one million or more units within the current fiscal year (from 1 April 2024).

Software Top 10

Total sales followed by the previous total then sales added to the total in Q1

• Mario Kart 8 Deluxe: 62.90m (61.97m) + 930k
  • Animal Crossing New Horizons: 45.85m (45.36m) + 490k
  • Super Smash Bros Ultimate: 34.66m (34.22m) + 440k
  • Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild: 32.05m (31.85m) + 200k
  • Super Mario Odyssey: 28.21m (27.96m) + 250k
  • Pokémon Sword/Shield: 26.35m (26.27m) + 80k
  • Pokémon Scarlet/Violet: 25.29m (24.92M) + 370k
  • Super Mario Party: 20.84m (20.66m) + 180k
  • Legend of Zelda Tears of the Kingdom: 20.80m (20.61m) + 190k
  • New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe: 17.61m (17.45m) + 160k
New Releases
  • Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door: 1.76m New
  • Luigi's Mansion 2 HD: 1.19m New
Million Sellers not updated this quarter (1st party published)
  • Ring Fit Adventure: 15.38m
  • Pokémon Let's Go: 15.07m
  • Pokémon BD/SP: 15.06m
  • Pokemon Legends Arceus: 15.00m
  • Luigi's Mansion 3: 14.25m
  • Splatoon 2: 13.60m
  • Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury: 13.47m
  • Super Mario Bros. Wonder: 13.44m
  • Nintendo Switch Sports: 13.11m
  • Mario Party Superstars: 12.89m
  • Splatoon 3: 11.96m
  • Super Mario 3D All-Stars: 9.07m
  • Super Mario Maker 2: 8.42m
  • Kirby and the Forgotten Land: 7.52m
  • Legend of Zelda Link's Awakening: 6.63m
  • Clubhouse Games: 4.64m
  • Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze: 4.62m
  • Mario Tennis Aces: 4.50m
  • Kirby Star Allies: 4.38m
  • Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword HD: 4.15m
  • Fire Emblem Three Houses: 4.12m
  • Hyrule Warriors Age of Calamity: 4.00m
  • 1-2 Switch: 3.74m
  • Pikmin 4: 3.48m
  • Paper Mario Origami King: 3.47m
  • Yoshi's Crafted World: 3.35m
  • Super Mario RPG: 3.31
  • Metroid Dread: 3.07m
  • New Pokémon Snap!: 2.74m
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 2: 2.74m
  • Arms: 2.72m
  • Mario Strikers Battle League: 2.63m
  • Mario Golf Super Rush: 2.48m
  • Pikmin 3 Deluxe: 2.40m
  • Captain Toad Treasure Tracker: 2.35m
  • Octopath Traveller: 2.08m
  • Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle: 2.00m
  • Pokémon Mystery Dungeon DX: 1.99m
  • Big Brain Academy Brain vs Brain: 1.94m
  • Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition: 1.91m
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 3: 1.91m
  • Kirby's Return to Dream Land Deluxe: 1.82m
  • Miitopia: 1.79m
  • Mario Kart Live Home Circuit: 1.73m
  • Fire Emblem Engage: 1.68m
  • Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3: 1.60m
  • Pokkén Tournament DX: 1.54m
  • Nintendo Labo Toy-Con 01 Variety Kit: 1.42m
  • Metroid Prime Remastered: 1.36m
  • Wario Ware Get it Together!: 1.34m
  • Astral Chain: 1.33m
  • Dr Kawashima's Brain training: 1.27m
  • Bayonetta: 1.24m
  • Bayonetta 2: 1.23m
  • Princess Peach Showtime! 1.22m
  • Game Builder Garage: 1.15m
  • Mario Versus Donkey Kong: 1.12m
  • Bayonetta 3: 1.09m
  • Fire Emblem Warriors Three Hopes: 1.00m

Nintendo Switch hardware shipments compared to some other high selling platforms (millions of units)

9XKUASm.png

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
If is not Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, AC or Splatoon, the game doesn’t sell well.
The market has been this way for a good decade.
I could say the same for Ubisoft games like Rayman and Child of Light. I’d much rather have those than their bloated open world stuff, but that’s what sells the millions. Bayonetta was a fan favorite too, so self-professed hardcore gamers really only have themselves to blame if sales were poor on the best-selling dedicated gaming machine you can connect to your TV since the PS2. Can’t really blame the casuals there.

I had the choice of starting BOTW or TOTK for first time. Will play only one due to same map.

Went with BOTW after careful consideration. Just one comment here did it for me. TOTK gets rid of survival elements cause you can go anywhere you want. Didn’t sound like it has the exploration of BOTW.

Maybe will give TOTK a shot after few years when I have forgotten BOTW map.

Thick Thighs Save Lives

NeoGAF's Physical Games Advocate Extraordinaire
It looks like Japan has been moving more Nintendo Switch hardware this last quarter than the Americas and Europe. Come on, Nintendo, release that Switch 2 already! :lollipop_pensive:

Last edited:

Ozzie666

Loud and proud, hard not to be when your cleaning up with far weaker hardware and lower development costs, remakes, remasters, no prcice drops, reskinned consoles, and poor on-line service. Whilst protecting your retro IPS and taking down sites left and right.
Sony and Microsoft are doing this all wrong.
Impressive numbers to be sure.

And so sad to see those Astral Chain and Bayonetta 3 numbers.
Don't be. They are not there to be blockbusters, they are there to supply a niche that the mainstream Nintendo games don't cover. Being a platform holder means you need to keep your customers happy and have a variety of options. Imagine running a book store that ONLY sell the top ten best seller books and nothing else; they wouldn't get many customers.

Nintendo know they don't get every third party port, so they have to compensate with in-house efforts. Much like how Sony make single player offline games because 3rd party studios are not making them anymore. That is what it means to run a platform.

SEGA used to have a lot of game IPs but most of them were abandoned once they go third party. This is because they no longer have a reason to support a wide range of offerings now that they just want to sell games.

While the numbers are good, the drop Year over year is staggering. It could be a struggle to sell the 13 .8 million units by end of the year. Keep in mind something like 70% of Nintendo annual hardware sales is usually sold in September thru December.

It is clear by these numbers though, especially software sales year over year, people are starting to put the Switch away, ignore it, or are no longer interested.

How long will Nintendo go before announcing Switch 2? October? December? January? March?

I was hyped and no longer am for any of the future hardware from any of the big 3. Maybe with worldwide recession looming, it has stilted my interest. Maybe Cloud is the true way forward. Maybe Apple’s concept of play anywhere is the right path. Who know, maybe. We will see.

Nintendo is walking the razors edge. From a business standpoint I’m curious if they can pull it off! Did they wait too long? Will Nintendo screw up Switch 2 somehow?

From a a fan and business standpoint it is dicey now. It will be hard to meet expectations the longer this goes, and clearly by sales numbers people are losing interest.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Wow, no price cut and still selling well, even with the drop off. They really could price drop and milk this until holiday 2025 or early 2026.

Akuji

20 million to the ps2.
Will be close. I dont think Nintendo is gonna offer the switch for a long time next to the New system.

IAmRei

I had the choice of starting BOTW or TOTK for first time. Will play only one due to same map.

Went with BOTW after careful consideration. Just one comment here did it for me. TOTK gets rid of survival elements cause you can go anywhere you want. Didn’t sound like it has the exploration of BOTW.

It is not the same map, there a lot of changes, beside there are also sky and undergroundd segment, its the same kingdom though...

Thick Thighs Save Lives

NeoGAF's Physical Games Advocate Extraordinaire

“During the first quarter of the previous fiscal year, unit sales of both hardware and software were extremely high for a first quarter, when The Super Mario Bros Movie energised our dedicated video game platform business and The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom was released, together with specially designed hardware based on that title,” Nintendo explained in a statement

“There were no such special factors in the first quarter of this fiscal year, and with Nintendo Switch now in its eighth year since launch, unit sales of both hardware and software decreased significantly year-on-year.”
Despite the drop, Nintendo says it hasn’t changed its forecast for the entire financial year, and still expects to sell a total of 13.5 million Switch consoles between April 2024 and March 2025 (in Q1 it sold 2.1 million).

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member

$60 vs $70
Some takes in this thread, holy crap.

i9vEwwl.png

There is no way the Switch won't pass the PS2 in lifetime sales. This is crazy. The PS2 was only at 117 million at this point.
It probably won’t. It should need to stay on the market for about 5 more years at impulse buy price, way after its successor has launched, which is exactly what PS2 did. Nintendo is never going to sell Switch below $149, and they’d rather retire the system before they consider to keep selling it below $200 after its successor is out. And nobody is going to buy a 10-years-old piece of tech these days.

Just do the math. The PS2 sold about 40% of its reported lifetime sales after the launch of the PS3. This is never going to happen today.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous

I loved BotW but just couldn't get into TotK for some reason. Maybe it was all the 'build stuff with realistic physics" or that I was staring at going through the same map or something. It just didn't feel interesting to me.

So from my PoV you made the right choice. I loved the sense of exploration in BotW.

killatopak

Gold Member
I believe botw selling more is simply because it is the start of the story. Much easier and probably makes a lot more sense as a first foray into this version of Zelda.

It's like buying FFX-2 versus FFX. Shit won't make fucking sense.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I loved BotW but just couldn't get into TotK for some reason. Maybe it was all the 'build stuff with realistic physics" or that I was staring at going through the same map or something. It just didn't feel interesting to me.

So from my PoV you made the right choice. I loved the sense of exploration in BotW.
In my first playthrough of BotW I put 80 hours but with TotK in my first playthrough I put close to 200 hours.

I actually enjoyed exploring in TotK much more because I had so fun traversal tool both on ground and in sky.

I actually really liked TotK more than BotW.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Some takes in this thread, holy crap.

It probably won’t. It should need to stay on the market for about 5 more years at impulse buy price, way after its successor has launched, which is exactly what PS2 did. Nintendo is never going to sell Switch below $149, and they’d rather retire the system before they consider to keep selling it below $200 after its successor is out. And nobody is going to buy a 10-years-old piece of tech these days.

Just do the math. The PS2 sold about 40% of its reported lifetime sales after the launch of the PS3. This is never going to happen today.

Pretty much. Switch is doing a little better than half of what they did last year's Q1. If that holds, then they will sell about 8 million units this fiscal year. But even if Nintendo keeps selling Switch when Switch 2 arrives the demand is going to drop significantly so probably closer to 7 million for the year. Does Switch have 5 million sales left in it post-Switch 2 launch? That's the question.

Edit: just saw that Nintendo projects 13.5 million Switch sales this year so I'm probably way off. lol

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
He was CEO of playstation at the time.
Doesnt get more official then that.

But whatever floats ur boat.
Yes, it does. Earning calls and financial reports are more official and they have an exact figure. Jim Ryan threw a ballpark number. It isn’t official no matter how hard you scream.

Last edited:
TTYD clearly has the potential to meet or exceed Origami King, which proves Nintendo’s policy wrong of essentially not allowing new Paper Mario games to be traditional turn-based JRPGs. Glad they have finally seen the light.

I definitely think the next original Paper Mario game will be close to 64 and TTYD-style, albeit of course with new features added in.

If they had kept and went with the original version of Paper Mario 3DS instead of pivoting to Sticker Star and then Color Splash, who knows how big the series would be by now. Certainly I think it’d be much bigger.

Last edited:

ReyBrujo

Gold Member
He was CEO of playstation at the time.
Doesnt get more official then that.

But whatever floats ur boat.

Regarding information in general, one could say reports to SEC are the top priority regarding truth because they are giving information to the government, then earning calls because they are giving information to the shareholders, and then press statements. Jim could have just been rounding up numbers.

BotW outselling TotK is a mystery to me.
BotW had 6 extra years to sell and probably was the first game bought for millions of consoles during the early years.

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
BotW was Released 6 years before TotK …

friends fail GIF

BotW had 6 extra years to sell and probably was the first game bought for millions of consoles during the early years.
Guys, the poster said "outselling" as in currently. TOTK sold 190K compared to 200K for BOTW. The fact that BOTW is much older should work against it for ongoing sales, not the other way around. That'd be like GOW 2018 outselling Ragnarok in 2024.

Last edited:
Top Bottom