• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Owensboro

Brilliant. Thats what i thought it might be. Strange it works like that. I wonder if I've played more or less than I think.

Edit: Thread worthy?

Probably, enough people seemed to be upset about it. I'm surprised it was in the UI all along and Nintendo never mentioned it. No, wait, I'm not surprised at all.

Zafir

Brilliant. Thats what i thought it might be. Strange it works like that. I wonder if I've played more or less than I think.

Edit: Thread worthy?

I think so yeah.

That's great.

Means I can get rid of the shitty parental controls app i installed just for time tracking, lol.

Urgh, I left it in sleep mode in my case with no game running in the background and I just went to take it out now and it was warm. Also battery depleted by like 20, it was on 94 when I put it in 30 mins ago.

I really don't like that.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Urgh, I left it in sleep mode in my case with no game running in the background and I just went to take it out now and it was warm. Also battery depleted by like 20, it was on 94 when I put it in 30 mins ago.

I really don't like that.

Weird, which case do you have? Is it just the switch being turned on and left on by accident?

Have to send my dock in to Nintendo, but I forgot to ask if I need to send in the AC adapter with it D:

Would anyone know if I do? Probably going to have to call again and hope someone tells me the right answer

vgamer1

Plugged in my Switch at 8:35 at 12% battery, less than 2 hours later it's at 90%.

I was expecting closer to 3 hours according to what I read online.

Weird, which case do you have? Is it just the switch being turned on and left on by accident?
The official Nintendo case. Nah, I'm very very careful with my devices, I definitely put it in sleep before putting it in the case. I think any button press (including the analogue button) turns it on though, so maybe it got pressed by accident.

If that is the case, that seems like silly design :/ will just be putting my Switch in complete off mode while in the case from now on.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I'm not so sure about that. I can have mine in sleep mode for hours and not touch it, and my LG tv will occasionally give me a "a new device has been connected, switch to that input?" pop up message.

Turned off the setting on the Switch, can't find anything in any of the settings of the TV to change. But many people are having this same issue, with multiple brands of TVs and all settings turned off.

Yeah, seems like LG TVs also do that, just like Samsungs. Again, it has nothing to do with HDMI-CEC, it's just something the TV decides to do by itself when it detects input. My TV does not have this "feature", it only switches inputs when it explicitly gets an HDMI-CEC signal telling it too. Devices that don't support CEC cannot auto-switch inputs on my TV. On yours I bet they can. So, the Switch does NOT send a "switch input" control signal in these cases, but it does seem to send some sort of (video?) signal, and that's what's causing this issue with some TVs. Unfortunately it seems like these TV makers don't allow you to turn this "feature" off.

The official Nintendo case. Nah, I'm very very careful with my devices, I definitely put it in sleep before putting it in the case. I think any button press (including the analogue button) turns it on though, so maybe it got pressed by accident.

If that is the case, that seems like silly design :/ will just be putting my Switch in complete off mode while in the case from now on.

I believe only the Home button should wake it up from sleep mode. That's what it says before you put it to sleep at least. But I'm not 100% sure it's actually true.

On the phone with support, I was asked what game I'm looking forward to the most. Is that something the support always asks? I told him Super Mario Odyssey :p

Question

I purchased a Switch for my daughter(she ducking loves it). We created a new Nintendo account for her, and everything is linked and all that. Now, I created a profile(Dad) on her Switch, without linking my existing Nintendo account that's linked to my 3DS and Wii U. I plan to buy my own Switch in a few months, and linking my Nintendo account to my future Switch.

Now finally the question. Am I able to have my existing Nintendo account on both Switch units, and if so, am I able to share purchases?

Like, can I purchase Shovel Knight using my profile on my daughters Switch and later when I get my own, download the game onto my new Switch, while keeping it on my daughters?

Yeah, seems like LG TVs also do that, just like Samsungs. Again, it has nothing to do with HDMI-CEC, it's just something the TV decides to do by itself when it detects input. My TV does not have this "feature", it only switches inputs when it explicitly gets an HDMI-CEC signal telling it too. Devices that don't support CEC cannot auto-switch inputs on my TV. On yours I bet they can. So, the Switch does NOT send a "switch input" control signal in these cases, but it does seem to send some sort of (video?) signal, and that's what's causing this issue with some TVs. Unfortunately it seems like these TV makers don't allow you to turn this "feature" off.

I believe only the Home button should wake it up from sleep mode. That's what it says before you put it to sleep at least. But I'm not 100% sure it's actually true.

Just tested this on my charging switch.

Only button that woke it was the Home button.
Ok, well that's very very weird. I definitely, 100% made sure it was in sleep before putting it in the case.

nubbe

Finally got my Pro controller today and I'm really loving the feel of it.
Everything has this soft smooth feeling, the sticks and buttons feel like silk when you interact wit it.
The joycon grip works fine and does its thing, but the pro is another level.

Totally worth the price, peasants can whine about a few dollars all they want.
Second only to the Xbone Elite.

Black Storm

Neo Member
HI guys, got some questions here

how to know if the Switch and Joy Con are actually charging or fully charged when I am using the dock to charge them? because there is no lit to let me know if it's charging or not, also do I need to put the Switch in specific mode like sleeping mode or it will charge with the Joy Con even if I turned it off? and of course I am referring to charging them using the dock

Thanks in advance

Aiii

So not worth it
HI guys, got some questions here

how to know if the Switch and Joy Con are actually charging or fully charged when I am using the dock to charge them? because there is no lit to let me know if it's charging or not, also do I need to put the Switch in specific mode like sleeping mode or it will charge with the Joy Con even if I turned it off? and of course I am referring to charging them using the dock

Thanks in advance

Go to Controllers on the main menu, battery icon is below each. When they are connected to the Switch, it will keep them topped up. Same with the charging grip.

Go to Controllers on the main menu, battery icon is below each. When they are connected to the Switch, it will keep them topped up. Same with the charging grip.

I think he means whether there is an indicator on the controllers or switch itself, which I don't think there is. Although the "charging battery" symbol on the screen is visible for a moment when its first docked, I don't known if there's a shortcut to see if it's fully charged.

Black Storm

Neo Member
Thanks Bro, so when the Nintendo Switch docked and the Joy Con attached in the tablet, they all will be charged together even if the system turned off?

Brawl96

Anyone having issues when in handheld mode, the joycons seem to wobble a tad and make creaking noises as if its not tight to the system?

It's just weird that no other device has ever done this without me activating it. PS4, cable box, AppleTV, NES classic, nothing. There's something about the Switch that makes this happen even in sleep mode.

Seth

how the actual fuck do i contact nintendo support? Is there a chat or a way to email? I want to see about replacing my dock. It just keeps redirecting me around to these FAQs that arent helpful. When the switch is docked, after an hour or so the screen will start blinking continuously with a battery indicator. It does this every 2 seconds until i undock and redock. The console keeps a full charge though, and doesn't do this when connected straight to the AC adapter.

corin7

Neo Member
Thinking about grabbing a physical copy of I am Setsuna. Am I good grabbing it from amazon.jp or do I need to use something like play-asia? Anyone know?

So I ordered myself a switch + zelda after winning the lottery.

I still think that the device is overpriced and it needs to drop 1/3rd to get where its worth it.

But since winning the lottery, the price doesnt matter as much.

Seik

Banned
Thinking about grabbing a physical copy of I am Setsuna. Am I good grabbing it from amazon.jp or do I need to use something like play-asia? Anyone know?

I ordered mine on Play-Asia, didn't arrive yet but I never had any problem with them.

A bunch of GAFers ordered theirs on Amazon.jp as well, so that's a case of 'it's your choice because both are solid.''.

Bendo

Now finally the question. Am I able to have my existing Nintendo account on both Switch units, and if so, am I able to share purchases?

Like, can I purchase Shovel Knight using my profile on my daughters Switch and later when I get my own, download the game onto my new Switch, while keeping it on my daughters?
You can only have your account active on one Switch. Once you activate your account on your second Switch you have to deactive your account on your daughters Switch with the result that any downloaded games tied to your account are no longer playable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom