• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HotHamBoy

you_bought_a_switch.gif

Sacrilege!

ASTROID2

How?

Clarifying edit: I mean how do you do that, not 'how is it cool'

Go to posting to social media in user settings.
Then click on link twitter.
Click on privacy policy link on the right of the page under the nintendo switch logo.
Then click on the nintendo logo at the top of the page. That takes you to nintendos website. From there you can scroll down and click on miiverse.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Go to posting to social media in user settings.
Then click on link twitter.
Click on privacy policy link on the right of the page under the nintendo switch logo.
Then click on the nintendo logo at the top of the page. That takes you to nintendos website. From there you can scroll down and click on miiverse.

Nice!

Dinjoralo

You can buy the download code direct from Amazon.jp with a foreign card - I just did it yesterday. They email you the download code to redeem on the Japanese Eshop

W H A T.

Hmm... that does up the charge quite a bit, from 30 dollars to roughly 46. Plus I need another email for the JP account... I think I might have an outlook account I can use?

Is there a source for this gif I keep seeing on here?

maxcriden

I believe they are completely different. Brand new levels, different story, new art (there may be some reused assets somewhere in there but not sure)

Characters are drastically different to play as too.

This is my understanding, too, with the caveat that IIRC the levels are remixed or revamped versions of the original SK levels, and I think they are said to be more significantly different from the originals in Spectre than in Plague. I've only played the main game and a bit of Plague, though, so I may be mistaken.

Dinjoralo

Oh my god, amazon.co.jp won't let me buy... it keeps saying I need an account not associated with the US, or something. Why?! Augh! Got the demo, at least.

tommyguns

Im sure this has been posted 100 times, but god damn is it annoying that the shoulder button clips are not idiot proof.

Ive put the damn things on the wrong way accidentally about 10 times and every time I feel like im gonna tear the damn thing about trying to get it back off....and I hurt my fingers..

I've only out the shoulder straps on 1 time and it was the correct way, and I still felt like I was gonna break the thing taking it off. Way to much force was needed for it

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I've only out the shoulder straps on 1 time and it was the correct way, and I still felt like I was gonna break the thing taking it off. Way to much force was needed for it

Same. I've put them on twice I think, definitely the right way both times, and it felt like I was gonna break something trying to get them off. Haven't bothered with them again.

Dinjoralo

You need a a Japanese address.

Yeah, I noticed... I think I'm just gonna settle for the demo. Apparently the JP version of Puyo Tetris doesn't support english, and I have a sneaking suspicion the international version won't be the same product as the JP one, unlike the other eshop games that say I own them on both stores.

Yeah, I noticed... I think I'm just gonna settle for the demo. Apparently the JP version of Puyo Tetris doesn't support english, and I have a sneaking suspicion the international version won't be the same product as the JP one, unlike the other eshop games that say I own them on both stores.

The demo has enough to keep me going until the English release.

Also, Hong Kong doesn't have its own store? That tends to be a good place to get English content early even if Japan store doesn't have an English release. At least on PSN.

I want to get a second charger for my Switch, any recommendations? Would like to avoid spending $30 for the official one if I can help it, but I don't want to hurt my Switch either (and I know USB C is a bit of a mess right now).

Mr Swine

Banned
So guys, when does the Switch warn about low battery for you when playing games? It does for me each time it gets below 25%

Edit: Ugh, the battery indicator was at 22% and when I plugged in the charger it's at 2%, is my battery damaged?

TheMink

What 3DS games can easily omit touch controls for a potential Switch port?

I feel like it would be one of my most desired things on the system to get ports of 3D Land, Luigis Mansion, LoZ OoT MM and LBW, Pokemon (although a new one with new features would be ideal.)

Can't think of others off the top of my head but I would really want them to do it. Solidifying the standard architecture.

lenovox1

I have 28 bucks in my account and don't know what to buy.

I think Snipperclips...it's gotta be Snipperclips. Never played Shovel Knight so that's tempting too.

I wish I could buy the 10 dollar one and then it would discount the treasure trove if you wanted more. Sucks that you can buy one piece of that but have to rebuy it if you want the others.

Spectre of Torment is intended for people who owned the previous iterations of the game. Kind of like New Super Luigi U.

Spectre of Torment is intended for people who owned the previous iterations of the game. Kind of like New Super Luigi U.

Wait, I thought people that own previous iterations get all the new stuff for free.

I bought vanilla shovelknight on 3ds.
Do I need to spend anything to get all the new campaigns on 3ds when they're released?

lenovox1

Im sure this has been posted 100 times, but god damn is it annoying that the shoulder button clips are not idiot proof.

Ive put the damn things on the wrong way accidentally about 10 times and every time I feel like im gonna tear the damn thing about trying to get it back off....and I hurt my fingers..

How can one put them on "wrong"? Are you guys putting them on upside down?

Because there's a plus sign side and a minus sign side on both the grips, and that indentation also tells you which way is "up." That genuinely is "idiot proof."

Do you remember to lower the lock tab down when removing the straps?

Wait, I thought people that own previous iterations get all the new stuff for free.

I bought vanilla shovelknight on 3ds.
Do I need to spend anything to get all the new campaigns on 3ds when they're released?

It's a free update. But if you've moved platforms and yet have already played the previous campaigns...

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Has anyone taken apart Joycons to paint? I kinda want another set of joycons for multiplayer but I don't want gray or another red & blue pair. I'd love to give them a neon yellow and neon green color scheme to match the red & blue by taking them apart and giving them a paintjob.

spock

So guys, when does the Switch warn about low battery for you when playing games? It does for me each time it gets below 25%

Edit: Ugh, the battery indicator was at 22% and when I plugged in the charger it's at 2%, is my battery damaged?

I'm having a weird battery issue as well. Before bed I'll take the switch from the dock to bring to bed. I'll fully power it down, since I wont use it right away, I figure I'll conserve battery. The battery level when i take it off the dock reads 100%. However 30-60 mins later when i turn the switch on to play in bed it will read like 53% battery, even though it was completely off and at 100%. The joy cons are attached and they where being used earlier in the day while the switch was docked. Is the console trying to recharge the joy cons when the consoles undocked causing a battery drain? I'm going to test it tonight by detaching the joy cons when I undock it to bring upstairs. If its charging joycons while undocked, pulling from the consoles battery, that is pretty lame and stupid.

ZOONAMI

I'm having a weird battery issue as well. Before bed I'll take the switch from the dock to bring to bed. I'll fully power it down, since I wont use it right away, I figure I'll conserve battery. The battery level when i take it off the dock reads 100%. However 30-60 mins later when i turn the switch on to play in bed it will read like 53% battery, even though it was completely off and at 100%. The joy cons are attached and they where being used earlier in the day while the switch was docked. Is the console trying to recharge the joy cons when the consoles undocked causing a battery drain? I'm going to test it tonight by detaching the joy cons when I undock it to bring upstairs. If its charging joycons while undocked, pulling from consoles battery, that is pretty lame and stupid.

I believe it will charge the joy cons anytime the main unit has more battery than the joy cons ???

Not sure though. Could be certain percentages Nintendo has layed out for when it will charge them and when not.

spock

I believe it will charge the joy cons anytime the main unit has more battery than the joy cons ???

Not sure though. Could be certain percentages Nintendo has layed out for when it will charge them and when not.

Doh! Hopefully we get the option to charge joycons only when docked. The current setup is problematic and doesnt make sense. The joy cons have 20+ hours of battery at full charge in contrast to the consoles 3.5. To lower the consoles battery while undocked makes no sense since your reducing the usefulness of the portability by lowering the battery pow which sucks as is.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

It doesn't charge them when turned off, only when on or in sleep mode.

My one, big gripe with the hardware is that the kickstand doesn't pivot back enough. The screen is still too vertical to have a comfortable viewing angle if you're sitting at a normal desk/table.

RootCause

is there a guide for creating a Japanese account? I'd like to play some demos, and buy games.

I'm considering buying the Switch. Is the Pro controller absolutely needed?
As kudo said. It's not really needed, but it's one of the best controllers ever made.

You should try out the cons+grip, and see if you're okay with it.

goldenpp72

My one, big gripe with the hardware is that the kickstand doesn't pivot back enough. The screen is still too vertical to have a comfortable viewing angle if you're sitting at a normal desk/table.

I agree with this, it's why i'm waiting to buy that hori dock, that and not being able to keep it plugged in while on the stand. Definitely the only real issues I have with the thing.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Maybe I've overlooked this - but is there a way to register and get points for your system and games? I don't understand how it works now. I definitely don't see any redeemable codes in my game boxes.

Kudo

Maybe I've overlooked this - but is there a way to register and get points for your system and games? I don't understand how it works now. I definitely don't see any redeemable codes in my game boxes.

Press +/- in the Switch OS on the game tile and it should be there.

so uh is there a hard reset or anything? i just turned it on for the first time in a couple days and went to go to the eShop and now it's stuck on the account selection screen without any accounts to select.

I've tried docking it, undocking it, holding the power button, taking the game card out, taking the sd card out.. it's just sitting on that blank screen with the A button for OK at the bottom.

Air

Banned
so uh is there a hard reset or anything? i just turned it on for the first time in a couple days and went to go to the eShop and now it's stuck on the account selection screen without any accounts to select.

I've tried docking it, undocking it, holding the power button, taking the game card out, taking the sd card out.. it's just sitting on that blank screen with the A button for OK at the bottom.

This happened to me and I just held power for like 30 seconds or so

The googlemail example is only valid in some countries. Most do not have that domain.

Huh is the domain geolocked then? o.o

Just hold the power-button for 15 seconds.

TheFuzz

So recently I started usingthe Switch out of the dock and started to play portable. On airplane mode and running at about 50% screen brightness, it was on for a total of 2 hours and was at 55% battery when I ended my last session, all on BOTW.

How does this compare to everyone else? Good, bad, expected?

So recently I started usingthe Switch out of the dock and started to play portable. On airplane mode and running at about 50% screen brightness, it was on for a total of 2 hours and was at 55% battery when I ended my last session, all on BOTW.

Sounds about right.

That is roughly how it is for me. I am actually doing mostly this now. Only online to purchase games.

Saint9806

I created a Japanese account so I could try out a couple games. Now when I switch accounts back to my U.S. account, it still displays the news page in Japanese first then English afterwards. Is there any way to change this? I even disabled the Japanese account but the news page still displays in Japanese first.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I seriously can't get over how shitty this thing's kickstand is.

Ignoring the build quality, the angle is terrible. Awful. I wanted to play this on the plane earlier, but on the seat tray, the screen basically faced my chest. It desperately needs to go further back, at the very least.

It's the most obvious room for an upgrade in a "Lite" version after the bezels and battery life. Considering how well thought out the rest of the system is, this is such a huge pain point.

I'd love to take JUST the tablet and a pro controller with me, and leave the joy-cons at home. But that's just not feasible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom