• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia Adds Final Fantasy XVI Game-Ready Drivers - Announcement / Release Soon?

proandrad

Yeah it's like Devil May Cry without the challenging / in-depth combat and The Witcher 3 without the great sidequests and huge / interesting open world.

It stinks.
You just weren’t the target audience. FF16 is a JRPG lite made to attract new fans to the genre. It was a smash hit for people new to the series and those just wanting a rollercoaster ride. Rebirth is probably more your jam.

You just weren’t the target audience. FF16 is a JRPG lite made to attract new fans to the genre. It was a smash hit for people new to the series and those just wanting a rollercoaster ride. Rebirth is probably more your jam.

Rebirth is a way better game but I also have some grievances with it too. Square really just need to do a "back to basics" FF. It's dumb to make a "JRPG lite to attract new fans" with your sixteenth franchise installment.

proandrad

Rebirth is a way better game but I also have some grievances with it too. Square really just need to do a "back to basics" FF. It's dumb to make a "JRPG lite to attract new fans" with your sixteenth franchise installment.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I loved Remake but hated rebirth. Rebirth is too long with too many side quest and I’m absolutely not fan of any of the mini games.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69

Look at what Larian accomplished with BG3. Old school CRPG through and through, but feels modern and fresh. Sold a gazillion copies and won GOTY. I lost all hope for FF with FFXV. These games all stink.

Great game and good that more people will experience it.

But is this another game that will go with “it runs like ass on the PS5” to “Smooth experience at 30fps and 720p on Steam Deck”??

wizaga

Neo Member
Yeah it's like Devil May Cry without the challenging / in-depth combat and The Witcher 3 without the great sidequests and huge / interesting open world.

It stinks.
I beg to differ good sir. But you have the right to your opinion. Me personaly loved the game.

ssringo

This will never run on a Steam Deck.
challenge accepted training GIF

I mean, I wouldn't touch it but maybe some people would enjoy indistinguishable blobs of pixels smacking other indistinguishable blobs of pixels at a choppy framerate.

Three

It stinks.
Well I'm just glad people have at least stopped complaining about 'why isn't it turn based' and are willing to play it now.

proandrad

I’m sure it did fine on consoles

Not saying it did bad, I’m sure it did great for a CRPG on console. But what is a good sales number for a CRPG on a console? I would assume anything over million would beat shatter expectations. I would bet, FF16 probably either matched or beat BG3 sales on PS5.

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Not saying it did bad, I’m sure it did great for a CRPG on console. But what is a good sales number for a CRPG on a console? I would assume anything over million would beat shatter expectations. I would bet, FF16 probably either matched out beat BG3 sales on PS5.

What’s your point? It sold an absolute ton on PC and still regularly has 100k concurrent players on Steam. I would bet good money BG3 on PC alone outsold FFXVI with less budget and way less marketing.

It’s a game made for PC first and foremost but like I said they stuck to their roots and made something that feels fresh but also plays like an old school CRPG. Rather than go down this road Square seems dead set on turning FF into a 2nd rate action series because they think a turn based game won’t sell.

Like if you watched someone playing 10 mins of FFXV you wouldn’t know it was an FF game unless they were on a chocobo.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
The game you're looking for is called Octopath Traveler

It's sold pretty well but hasn't done crazy numbers like Final Fantasy. If you were in a coma since the 90s and just woke up, and didn't know the title of the game, you'd think this was the newest Final Fantasy game.

proandrad

What’s your point? It sold an absolute ton on PC and still regularly has 100k concurrent players on Steam. I would bet good money BG3 on PC alone outsold FFXVI with less budget and way less marketing.
I’m not even sure what your point was, because I was originally talking how F16 was trying to bring in new players to the franchise and then you brought up sales. I’m asking if you have any clue how those numbers breakdown, because if BG3 sold 4million on PS5 that could mean a massive success for them whereas another company would think it’s a failure. Pretty sure FF16 sold at least that on PS5.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I’m not even sure what your point was, because I was originally talking how F16 was trying to bring in new players to the franchise and then you brought up sales. I’m asking if you have any clue how those numbers breakdown, because if BG3 sold 4million on PS5 that could mean a massive success for them whereas another company would think it’s a failure. Pretty sure FF16 sold at least that on PS5.

My point was Larian made a game from an old franchise that stayed true to its roots and had great success with it, while Square is trying to turn FF into shitty action games and has not been very successful. You are the one talking about sales. FFXVI came and went like a fart in the wind and wasn’t even nominated for GOTY.

proandrad

My point was Larian made a game from an old franchise that stayed true to its roots and had great success with it, while Square is trying to turn FF into shitty action games and has not been very successful. You are the one talking about sales. FFXVI came and went like a fart in the wind and wasn’t even nominated for GOTY.
This seems highly personal to you, who hurt you?

Nothing says "roller coaster ride" like a series of sleep-inducing MMO side quests after exciting moments in the story.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Everyone chomping at the bit to buy this game: would you be willing to buy it if it's Epic Games Store exclusive? Because it's totally going to be EGS exclusive.

jshackles

I don't think it will be. Mainly because Epic wouldn't pay.
Epic doesn't have to pay for exclusivity under their new program. Developers take home 88% of each transaction (as opposed to 70% of each transaction on Steam). On a $70 game, that's $12.60 extra in their pocket for each sale. This is for all games, even if they're not exclusive to Epic.

Epic also has a program where if you launch your game exclusively on Epic then you keep 100% of the sales transactions for the first six months (after which time, your exclusivity contract ends). That would give them an extra $21 per sale vs launching on Steam. Honestly, the smart business move is to launch this way on Epic first, then on Steam when the exclusivity deal runs dry. You'll even get a certain cross section of people who will double-dip.

Square likes money, and I'm sure their pencil pushers probably don't even know the difference between Epic and Steam. The last few big Final Fantasy games on PC (Remake and Strangers of Paradise) both launched as EGS exclusives for this reason.

There was some sort of "insider leak" on Resetera a few weeks back, someone claiming to be an insider saying it wouldn't be exclusive - but I think they were probably full of shit. I guess time will tell.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
It fell short of their sales goal so I guess that didn’t work out so well.

aclar00

I don't know how i manage to beat this game...i guess nostalgia, but money i fell asleep at least a half dozen times.

Haint

They already missed to boat, game is old as dirt and won't even amount to a gnat's fart in the deluge of new Fall/Holiday releases. Hope the meager Sony peanuts money hat was worth the millions of sells they'll ultimately lose to the nearly 2 year long delay. Get fucked Square.

Last edited:
It's always the same thing over the course of the game - play amazing story mission, do cool stuff and pick up your jaw from the floor and then go back to the most boring shit possible for the 100th time.
I've always said this game is 20 minutes of the most amazing shit you have ever seen, followed by 2 hours of the most boring slog possible, repeated over the span of 60 hours.

Anyone who will be playing it for the first time on PC... I strongly suggest tempering your expectations (or buying something else).

Last edited:

Skifi28

They already missed to boat, game is old as dirt and won't even amount to a gnat's fart in the deluge of new Fall/Holiday releases. Hope the meager Sony peanuts money hat was worth the millions of sells they'll ultimately lose to the nearly 2 year long delay. Get fucked Square.
Where did all those millions of sales disappear to? Either they bought it on the platform available (so it already sold well) or waited until it got a port and will buy it now. People don't suddenly lose interest in a game because it's a year old. If nobody buys it now on PC, they probably wouldn't have bought it on day one either. You just sound angry.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I've always said this game is 20 minutes of the most amazing shit you have ever seen, followed by 2 hours of the most boring slog possible, repeated over the span of 60 hours.

Anyone who will be playing it for the first time on PC... I strongly suggest tempering your expectations (or buying something else).
I strongly suspect it started out as some DMC-style spinoff that would’ve been just the linear story missions + boss battles. Then they decided to rework it into a mainline game, and all the other stuff was added to justify calling it Final Fantasy XVI.

You can really tell the parts their budget + passion went into, vs the painfully boring “just give em some RPG shit to do” parts

ssringo

Everyone chomping at the bit to buy this game: would you be willing to buy it if it's Epic Games Store exclusive? Because it's totally going to be EGS exclusive.
Not that I think they'll go down that road again but

Friends Tv No GIF

I'm not creating an account to buy 1 game. Or if you want include it's entire existence, 1 game every few years.

Midn1ght

Epic doesn't have to pay for exclusivity under their new program. Developers take home 88% of each transaction (as opposed to 70% of each transaction on Steam). On a $70 game, that's $12.60 extra in their pocket for each sale. This is for all games, even if they're not exclusive to Epic.

Epic also has a program where if you launch your game exclusively on Epic then you keep 100% of the sales transactions for the first six months (after which time, your exclusivity contract ends). That would give them an extra $21 per sale vs launching on Steam. Honestly, the smart business move is to launch this way on Epic first, then on Steam when the exclusivity deal runs dry. You'll even get a certain cross section of people who will double-dip.

Square likes money, and I'm sure their pencil pushers probably don't even know the difference between Epic and Steam. The last few big Final Fantasy games on PC (Remake and Strangers of Paradise) both launched as EGS exclusives for this reason.

There was some sort of "insider leak" on Resetera a few weeks back, someone claiming to be an insider saying it wouldn't be exclusive - but I think they were probably full of shit. I guess time will tell.
I wouldn't be surprise one bit if they choose to go Epic Exclusive again BUT I think FF7 Remake numbers on EGS and the recent release of Kingdom Hearts on Steam which did very well apparently is probably enough for them to go "Yeah, we should stop that Epic exclusive shit".

But again, it's Square Enix so...

Nickolaidas

Depends. Definitely not buying FFVI on EGS, but I may buy Rebirth if I can't fucking wait any more.
I wouldn't be surprise one bit if they choose to go Epic Exclusive again BUT I think FF7 Remake numbers on EGS and the recent release of Kingdom Hearts on Steam which did very well apparently is probably enough for them to go "Yeah, we should stop that Epic exclusive shit".

But again, it's Square Enix so...
I think it all depends in what deals they signed and when. If they signed those deals before they claimed they're 'pulling out of the exclusive deals' fiasco, then I don't see anything changing for the next two-three years. If those port deals were later after, we probably will see FFVI on Steam much sooner. And who knows? Perhaps we'll see FF7 part 3 on Steam day one alongside the PS5/6 version.

Denton

Would be nice if the PC release was some "Director's Cut" version with all the shitty sidequests replaced with quality ones.

Denton

Square likes money, and I'm sure their pencil pushers probably don't even know the difference between Epic and Steam.
Didn't their new CEO recently announce that they are changing strategy and are going full multiplatform instead of playing exclusivity game?
I assume that will mean Steam day one too because that is where most sales are. I highly doubt their EGS exclusives would in any way be profitable without Epic significantly moneyhatting them. 100% of near zero is still 100% of near zero.
I would almost be willing to bet that FF16 will be on Steam day one. But...it is still Squeenix so any degree of stupidity is possible.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
A " SMASH HIT" ? lol. MK8 is a smash hit, hogwarts legacy is a smash hit...
FF16 is a very high budget game that barely scraped by.

Top Bottom