• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti launch/review day - 2017/03/09

longdi

Banned
I expect the first hdmi2.1 tvs to have some buggy/half-ass implementation, as always. So you can enjoy a 1080ti for 18months or more before a good hdmi2.1 tv shows up

grendelrt

Anyone running custom fan curves on a founders edition? Trying to get an understanding of how cool it can run with some tweaking. I can step up to a founders edition now or wait and see if they add a twin fan model, but there's no guarantee.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Anyone running custom fan curves on a founders edition? Trying to get an understanding of how cool it can run with some tweaking. I can step up to a founders edition now or wait and see if they add a twin fan model, but there's no guarantee.

I saw on the guru forums people experimenting, but even at 100% fan they were still throttling and hovering at 83c

riflen

Well, I only used the FE with its air cooler for 2 weeks before I put a water block on, but during that time I used a 'default' Afterburner curve (60 degrees, 60%, etc) in an ambient of 20ish degrees. It was OK I suppose. It would usually sit around 75 degrees/75% on average I would say. I play with headphones, so fan noise didn't matter all that much to me, but let's just say there are reasons I built a PC with a custom water loop. The vanilla FE configuration isn't ideal when other options exist.

Yeah I'd recommend staying away from FE unless you are going to put a waterblock on it or you are selling it right when aftermarket hits. After markets come out only a few weeks later so it's worth the wait if you plan on air cooling.

grendelrt

Well, I only used the FE with its air cooler for 2 weeks before I put a water block on, but during that time I used a 'default' Afterburner curve (60 degrees, 60%, etc) in an ambient of 20ish degrees. It was OK I suppose. It would usually sit around 75 degrees/75% on average I would say. I play with headphones, so fan noise didn't matter all that much to me, but let's just say there are reasons I built a PC with a custom water loop. The vanilla FE configuration isn't ideal when other options exist.

Yeah I'd recommend staying away from FE unless you are going to put a waterblock on it or you are selling it right when aftermarket hits. After markets come out only a few weeks later so it's worth the wait if you plan on air cooling.

Yeah I havea FTW 1080 now, but I can step up only to the FE at this moment and the fan issue is holding me back at the moment, I have 88 days to decide and see if they put up a dual fan card.

JCH!

Got my STRIX OC today.

It is... beautiful.

Dead silent, too. Not the slightest hint of coil whine.

What sort of OCs are people getting on these? I have never seriously OC'd my GPU and don't know what are good results.

I saw on the guru forums people experimenting, but even at 100% fan they were still throttling and hovering at 83c

That's interesting, and quite unfortunate. I wonder what their ambient temperatures were. At about 23C (controlled) room temp, my OCed FE maxed out at around 75C at 80% fan speed before I installed the hybrid cooler on it.

Yeah I havea FTW 1080 now, but I can step up only to the FE at this moment and the fan issue is holding me back at the moment, I have 88 days to decide and see if they put up a dual fan card.
Historically speaking, I can't imagine that they won't offer a dual fan card and I can't imagine it would take months for it to show up for us.

I'm only now reading fan stuff and throttling, so I'll be content waiting with my 1080FTW for as long as it takes.

Here's some images of the Zotac and the Aorus (RIP) in my system. Didn't take any with the Gaming X and STRIX in there though.

kh5ZMgT.jpg

QIFtzyb.jpg

XOx2lBy.jpg

Sag on the Aorus is not present on the other cards. I also changed power supplies so my cabling is a little messy with the multiple braided compared to the cleaner single strand.

Weevilone

Historically speaking, I can't imagine that they won't offer a dual fan card and I can't imagine it would take months for it to show up for us.

I'm only now reading fan stuff and throttling, so I'll be content waiting with my 1080FTW for as long as it takes.

The problem with waiting is you'll wind up getting the Ti that much closer to Volta's release. But yeah I think we'll eventually see a custom fan on reference PCB with EVGA step-up.

I just went with the FE. I already had one and am cool with it.

twisted89

Here's some images of the Zotac and the Aorus (RIP) in my system. Didn't take any with the Gaming X and STRIX in there though.

Sag on the Aorus is not present on the other cards. I also changed power supplies so my cabling is a little messy with the multiple braided compared to the cleaner single strand.

Card looks nice but if it were me I'd have used some of that GPU money to get a closed loop CPU cooler instead. That thing reminds me of my first Dell when they were all that awful beige colour.

Qassim

Card looks nice but if it were me I'd have used some of that GPU money to get a closed loop CPU cooler instead. That thing reminds me of my first Dell when they were all that awful beige colour.

It's not as if their CPU cooler is cheap, that's a pretty high end cooler. The brown colour is a signature of noctua.

All-in-one CPU water coolers are overrated, a good air cooler can outperform them.

twisted89

It's not as if their CPU cooler is cheap, that's a pretty high end cooler. The brown colour is a signature of noctua.

All-in-one CPU water coolers are overrated, a good air cooler can outperform them.

Depends what you're going for, personally I think something that size and colour next to a 1080 ti is an eye sore. The reduction in noise from a water cooler would be considered a win for most people too.

Do you have stats to backup air coolers are better? Quick Google would suggest they're not on both noise and efficiency

http://www.techspot.com/amp/review/756-water-cooling-vs-air-cooling/page3.html

Smokey

Upgrading to Titan Xp's Smokey?

Thinking of it. Fastest single GPU solution...

I sold one Ti on here. If I sale the other that makes up the price for the Xp.

Going back to SLI was cool, but 2x Tis are simply too fast for my resolution (1440p) and CPU. I have to pump up the resolution to 4k and beyond via DSR to get the cards to even out at 99% usage.

Received my Aorus 1080ti. Not much bigger than the Windforce 1080 I had.
So did the Superposition benchmark with my 1080@4k -

and then with the 1080ti -

So an fps increase of around 33%.

What I also noticed is how much hotter than my 1080 it is - up to 13c more. In fact my entire rig now seems to run hotter. My cpu would normally never go over 55c, hit nearly 80c when playing Andromeda at 4K and Ultra settings. However that seems to be on initial start up when the cpu was at 100%. In game it was between 62c - 71c, still hotter than before with my 1080. Not sure I understand why. All my fans work. It must simply be the extra heat being pumped out by the 1080ti. Slightly annoying if so.

I can play Andromeda @4k and Ultra but I would get frame drops with large explosions for example. This is at 50fps. So I dropped res scale to 90% and it was fine.

Wildlands on Ultra and 4K is impossible, only getting 25-28fps. Reduced scaling by 25% and hit 50fps or there abouts but didn't have much time to test. Temps for the gpu hit 76c max, but mainly on Andromeda. On Wildlands around 67c. Usage varied only occasionally hitting 99% on either. Indeed with Wildlands on Ultra and 4k I was only getting 55% usage. No idea why.

Not very noisy. Couldn't hear any whine but I do sit some 6' away. Turned the fans up to 80% and could hear them a bit but not too bad. Uncertain if it helped reduce the temp.

I need to spend a bit more time with it. Maybe my 4790k and 2133DDR3 RAM are now the weakest link.

I don't mind the noctua color too much. The case is open with temeper glass side panel it masks it pretty well and I don't stare into it when playing so I am okay with it. Really gets the job done which is all I am concerned about mostly.

I'm done with water cooling. I have a Swifttech H220-X, one of the best all in ones available. My CPU temps started to get higher and higher. I inspected the cooler and I could see white debris in the water. The H220-X is actually an expandable all in one with an accessible reservoir. The water needed flushed and the unit needed refilled after 2 years. I replaced it with a Noctua NH-D14, I was thinking temporarily but low and behold temps were better than when the H220-X was first installed. I decided to keep the air cooler. No more maintenance to worry about. I may have had a bad unit from Swiftech but I'm happier to have a simpler cooling solution as long as it's performing as well or better. The only thing that I would see failing is a fan which is super easy to see and replace.

My 4K Optimized Superposition results:

i7 4790k @4.8ghz w/ NZXT X61 Liquid Cooling
16GB 1866mhz CL8 RAM
1080 Ti @2025mhz w/ EVGA Hybrid Liquid Cooling
1TB Samsung EVO 840 SSD

Very pleased w/ the score. So close to 10k though! I've gotta hit it. Back to the drawing board...

16GB 1866mhz CL8 RAM
1TB Samsung EVO 840 SSD

Very pleased w/ the score. So close to 10k though! I've gotta hit it. Back to the drawing board...

Ha! We're going to end up with nearly-identical systems: I'm just using a different AIO cooler on my 4790k. Glad to see the Hybrid kit is performing well, as I'll be installing mine tomorrow.

laxu

Depends what you're going for, personally I think something that size and colour next to a 1080 ti is an eye sore. The reduction in noise from a water cooler would be considered a win for most people too.

Do you have stats to backup air coolers are better? Quick Google would suggest they're not on both noise and efficiency

http://www.techspot.com/amp/review/756-water-cooling-vs-air-cooling/page3.html

I used to run watercooling but moved back to air for easier compatibility and overall there is no difference in performance or noise with the huge air coolers you can get these days. So for a CPU I don't see any point in getting an AIO cooler. A full loop with a big radiator will perform better but it can be expensive, especially when upgrading parts and having to wait for compatible waterblocks or mounting kits.

For the GPU watercooling still makes a big difference. These days the GPU tends to be the noisiest component in a high end PC and the only way around that is watercooling. Either do both CPU and GPU with a custom loop or just the GPU with an AIO cooler. The difference in noise levels on the GPU is pretty big but in performance not so much because you will be limited by the limits imposed by Nvidia on voltage etc so overall it will not clock that much better than a good air cooler. For me the reduction in noise was totally worth it though. I currently have a MSI 980 Ti Gaming with a Corsair H55 installed.

I'm a bit sad because the MSI 1080 Ti Gaming X doesn't seem to have a separate VRM heatsink no longer so you can't just remove the stock cooler and slap on a G10 bracket and an AIO watercooler.

Ha! We're going to end up with nearly-identical systems: I'm just using a different AIO cooler on my 4790k. Glad to see the Hybrid kit is performing well, as I'll be installing mine tomorrow.

Love the Hybrid kit. Never going back to air cooling on a GPU again. I will say though, that the installation was a bit more involved than I was expecting. I was expecting a 15-30 minute swap, but it ended up taking closer to 2 hours.

Very nice !

I am at 6060 ! Can you put your complete specs ?

Thanks

Yep! I shared it above w/ my 4K Optimized score, but always happy to share my specs again:

16GB 1866mhz CL8 RAM
1TB Samsung EVO 840 SSD
Acer X34 Predator
Windows 10 Creators Update

Pagusas

Elden Member
Here's mine:

6700k@4.5ghz
32GB of DDR@3200/14-14-14-1T
MSI Gaming-X 1080TI - This was run at +80 on the core, default memory. Honestly I'm still unsure how to actually caculate the maximum boost lol.

Here's mine:

6700k@4.5ghz
32GB of DDR@3200/14-14-14-1T
MSI Gaming-X 1080TI - This was run at +80 on the core, default memory. Honestly I'm still unsure how to actually caculate the maximum boost lol.

I use the overlay with Afterburner. Just have it display the core clock on the GPU.

16GB 1866mhz CL8 RAM
1TB Samsung EVO 840 SSD

I have a similar system but the watercooling effect seems substantial. A good 10 to 20fps more with upto 20c less temp. I guess getting an AIO for a Gigabyte Aorus is a bit pointless/impossible? lol.

Yaari

Seeing the MSI Gaming one available now, delivery on Saturday. Very tempted especially since everything else has such a long expected restock date. Ugh.

PFD

Yep! I shared it above w/ my 4K Optimized score, but always happy to share my specs again:

16GB 1866mhz CL8 RAM
1TB Samsung EVO 840 SSD
Acer X34 Predator
Windows 10 Creators Update

Have you tried upping your RAM frequency? I saw a decent improvement when I raised my RAM frequency from 1866 to 2400mhz on a 4790K

The Dude

So I'm digging my Aorus. At about 2017 out of the box, Temps 68 to 70ish.

Need to do some fan tweaks.

ME pretty much solid at 61-60 with an occasional drop to 58 but overall it's pretty impressive.. No coil whine at all either, pretty much silent.

ME pretty much solid at 61-60 with an occasional drop to 58 but overall it's pretty impressive.. No coil whine at all either, pretty much silent.

Awesome. Glad yours worked out! Really great card. That would be my 2nd after the Zotac. Worked out kinda well that mine was RMA though as I ended up using my refund to get the Zotac.

All the aftermarkets for this card have been top tier. Wonder how EVGA is going to stack up since they are last.

Edit: So I'm not sure if this is a Zotac thing but when using a custom fan curve in afterburner when I run benchmarks the card will ramp fans up to 100% for about a second then they'll drop back down. Only seems to happen when I boot up the program for the first time after a cold reboot.

The problem with waiting is you'll wind up getting the Ti that much closer to Volta's release. But yeah I think we'll eventually see a custom fan on reference PCB with EVGA step-up.

I just went with the FE. I already had one and am cool with it.

For me it's about what I can get with my Step Up. I'll have 90 days from Monday and my 1080 isn't running into any issues in my games. So I'm not pressed. And since Volta is undoubtedly not coming in that 90 day window, it is irrelevant to me.

We'll see what happens. I am inclined to just get the FE, but given my applications (VR), throttling is no bueno. That makes me hesitate.

That's pretty cool!

It's my dad's b-day today, so I stopped by my local NCIX and picked up an Aorus to replace his 980. The card looks great, feels well built, and it is whisper quiet, but it won't boost past 1949Mhz. With or without an overclock of +50 on the core, its operating frequency ranges between the high 1800s and mid 1900s. At +55 it will crash guaranteed, so it's effectively >100Mhz slower than my FE on the EVGA AIO. I mean, it's an amazing upgrade for him, but I can't help feeling a tad disappointed with it.

Sky Chief

Just finished installing my Strix OC and putting it through is paces. It's almost exactly the same dimensions as the Gigabyte Xtreme 980 Ti that it's replacing, just as quiet, just as good looking, but blows it away performance wise. So impressed with the jump from even a heavily overcooked 980 Ti to the 1080 Ti.

Pagusas

Elden Member
That's pretty cool!

It's my dad's b-day today, so I stopped by my local NCIX and picked up an Aorus to replace his 980. The card looks great, feels well built, and it is whisper quiet, but it won't boost past 1949Mhz. With or without an overclock of +50 on the core, its operating frequency ranges between the high 1800s and mid 1900s. At +55 it will crash guaranteed, so it's effectively >100Mhz slower than my FE on the EVGA AIO. I mean, it's an amazing upgrade for him, but I can't help feeling a tad disappointed with it.

What's the voltage and power limit set at?

Top Bottom