• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti launch/review day - 2017/03/09

The Dude

So I checked out Deus Ex MD since I need to get back to it and man it looks and runs absolutely incredible 4k@60hz... Just excites me to dive back in. I am falling in love super quick with this gpu, tuning 4k this solid is damn awesome.

But it's almost as loud as the FE cards on load so running at slightly higher speed comes at a huge noise. The ASUS Strix runs almost as fast at a much lower volume and interestingly lower temps as well. If the Strix can be BIOS-modded for higher power limit it should perform just as well.

My Zotac is super quiet. Not sure why there's is so loud.

ZROCOOL

aka II VerTigo II
Anyone else having issues with Doom on their 1080ti? As soon as I start the game it immediately crashes. I even tried to fully reinstall it and still nothing. All other games still seem to be working (upgraded from a 980 ti)

It crashes upon entering the game menu, a white error box allowing you to file a crash report comes up (but you can't actually get to it) and that's it.

EDIT: I am hearing the Windows 10 Creator's Update may have broken the game? Anyone else experience this issue? Know a fix? I tried to do a clean install with the video driver with no luck.

I was playing it earlier with no issues.

Marmelade

My Zotac is super quiet. Not sure why there's is so loud.

On the other hand you have Tweaktown saying it's the best Ti they reviewed, better than the Aorus, Gaming X and Strix
"When it comes to cooling, ZOTAC is king - at 2GHz and 12GHz for the GPU and GDDR5X, respectively - our card was hitting 67C maximum with the fans barely making any noise at all."
"ZOTAC, you've done it again: you've mastered the GeForce GTX 1080 Ti with the best GTX 1080 Ti that I've tested so far. In my arsenal, is the AORUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11G, the awesome MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X 11G, and the ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Strix OC."

So yeah that's weird

On the other hand you have Tweaktown saying it's the best Ti they reviewed, better than the Aorus, Gaming X and Strix
"When it comes to cooling, ZOTAC is king - at 2GHz and 12GHz for the GPU and GDDR5X, respectively - our card was hitting 67C maximum with the fans barely making any noise at all."
"ZOTAC, you've done it again: you've mastered the GeForce GTX 1080 Ti with the best GTX 1080 Ti that I've tested so far. In my arsenal, is the AORUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11G, the awesome MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X 11G, and the ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Strix OC."

So yeah that's weird

I'm going to do 1 for 1 testing on witcher 3 with both cards to records Temps and sound and see what's going on because something is wrong with that review.

Yea I need to fire up witcher 3 and see what we got going on

Found a field in witcher 3 that had tall grass and trees all waving in the wind stood in it for a while card got up to 68c with default fan curve. It was about 75f outside today when I tested it too so it was rather warm.

With a custom fan curve of 60% at 60c it was around 63c with barely audible fans. The only thing the card does is ramp up fans to 100% for a second or two when a game starts then goes back to normal.

The Dude

Found a field in witcher 3 that had tall grass and trees all waving in the wind stood in it for a while card got up to 68c with default fan curve. It was about 75f outside today when I tested it too so it was rather warm.

With a custom fan curve of 60% at 60c it was around 63c with barely audible fans. The only thing the card does is ramp up fans to 100% for a second or two when a game starts then goes back to normal.

Very sweet, yea I just ran around some and it's a huge jump from my 1080. The buttery smoothness of the game was incredible, I have been dying to see the game run that smooth. Temps mid 60s and the fans are fairly quiet, it's like a very light fan sound overall and basically any amount of game sound drowns it out easily.

I just couldn't be happier. I would love to keep my evga ftw3 order just to see and compare but I'll most likely cancel it.

Everything I've thrown at the gpu tho so far is staying at about mid 60s, that's really damn nice when you consider it pushing 4k

WarpathDC

I saw on the guru forums people experimenting, but even at 100% fan they were still throttling and hovering at 83c

False, at least for me. I have a custom fan curve on my FE and it never touches 70c under full load even for extended periods, I think i've seen the fan speed go above 80 once, never close to 100. Case ventilation and airflow are key with any rig though, you can't put a blower card in a case with shit circulation and expect it to not throttle. Not saying that's the case with what you saw, but if someone is hitting those temps at 100% fan speed they likely need a noctua or two slapped in their case.

FE owners: it looks like EVGA did finally release a hybrid cooler for the ti FEs and Titan X Pascals. It's 160 bucks though and i'm curious to see the memory temps tested. I may dive into that project a few months down the road if everything checks out nicely, but not really feeling the need to do that now for a 6-15 percent gain depending on OC/game.

Posting this for anyone else who gets an EVGA Hybrid kit: the instructions included are awful (and technically from the 1080 Hybrid kit), so a hero on Reddit wrote up a step-by-step guide.

Much easier to follow, but as mentioned before: this will likely take a couple of hours, not the 30 minutes that many of us expected.

After giving the card 100% voltage, +150 and +500 is a 29,510 on FS.
http://www.3dmark.com/fs/12344695

Stats:
1u7uck.jpg

I'm probably done benching it until the water build is done.

I saw on the guru forums people experimenting, but even at 100% fan they were still throttling and hovering at 83c

That sucks. See above. 69 is the highest I go with fans at 100%. This is an EVGA FE with stock BIOS.

Anyone else having issues with Doom on their 1080ti? As soon as I start the game it immediately crashes. I even tried to fully reinstall it and still nothing. All other games still seem to be working (upgraded from a 980 ti)

It crashes upon entering the game menu, a white error box allowing you to file a crash report comes up (but you can't actually get to it) and that's it.

EDIT: I am hearing the Windows 10 Creator's Update may have broken the game? Anyone else experience this issue? Know a fix? I tried to do a clean install with the video driver with no luck.

It's not your ti, it locks up on my 1080 also, that's since creators.

paskowitz

According to nvidia using the max allowable voltage reduces gpu lifespan to an avg of 1 year

While I respect Tom Peterson, I'm calling BS on this. Many LN2 overclockers abuse cards well beyond their designed limits and you don't see this kind of degradation. That being said, it is Nvidia's policy. Voltage is locked.

If I had to guess the FTW3 will not be the fastest, quietest or coolest but it will be backed by the best customer service of all the manufacturers. That's why you go EVGA, really.

While I respect Tom Peterson, I'm calling BS on this. Many LN2 overclockers abuse cards well beyond their designed limits and you don't see this kind of degradation. That being said, it is Nvidia's policy. Voltage is locked.

could be. i dont have the knowledge to begin to refute or confirm it. just thought it was interesting

PFD

Would it make sense to wait for Vega before I upgrade? Can the 1080 Ti drop in price so soon after release?

One more day until my SC2 ships. @_@

Congratulations. Hope to hear your impressions.

Lower your expectations, you'll be less disappointed that way. :p

For everything in life.

Would it make sense to wait for Vega before I upgrade? Can the 1080 Ti drop in price so soon after release?

Waiting thing is a dangerous game. Vega comes out and all the sudden, you go "maybe I should wait till Volta comes out" Price drops rarely happen. They do occur when say the 1080 Ti comes out and Nvidia drops the price of the 1080, but it doesn't happen overall that much with PC parts.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
So I'm planning to get a 1080ti with my tax returns.

Been looking that that upcoming EVGA model, but I honestly don't know much about them. Never bought a card from them. Had good experiences with Gigabyte cards. There a consensus on the best of the custom 1080ti ones? Not going to bother with a FE, want something quiet.

I'm calling BS on that Zotac review. They need to redo their tests with a different card. My Zotac was consistently faster, quieter, and cooler than the strix in 1 for 1 comparisons in witcher 3.

Yaari

Zotac AMP? I had been looking into that and on a different forum people said it was as loud as the FE, then there was that tweaktown review that said it was amazing. I'm not quite sure what to go with now. It's like 110$ more expensive where I'm at, compared to for example a Aorus Xtreme.

teiresias

Amazon was showing the Gaming X being available on April 26 and was taking orders this morning (for sold by Amazon stock), so I put in an order.

Orion514

So, I have a Gaming X ordered from B&H as well as Amazon. Having a rough time with the decision of which to keep and which to cancel as B&H charges no sales tax, but Amazon is saying its going to ship today and be here by Wednesday.

And no word on when B&H will ship it as they are still celebrating Passover. lol

Thinking I'm going to pay the extra on tax just to get it a little sooner.

paskowitz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrueru2lCvQ

The Gigabyte GTX 1080 Ti Aorus Xtreme ($750) is one of the largest cards we’ve looked at, particularly in the cooler department. The VRM setup is similar to the Strix with regard to power capabilities, but still runs into similar OC limitations as the Gaming X. These cards are already near their maximum clock, and pushing higher begins threatening frametime stability in ways that may sometimes force toggling the OC for certain games.

The Gaming X ($750) is roughly 3% faster out of box than the Aorus Xtreme, but overclocking allows that to more or less equalize. That said, it’s not necessarily worth overclocking the 1080 Ti cards given how close the voltage and power constraints are.

Looking at thermals, the two cards are also similar; Gigabyte runs a bit warmer on the FETs, but also uses a different power design. GPU diode temperature isn’t too dissimilar, noise output is effectively identical at 50% speeds, and performance overall is within a few percentage points.

Price is also the same as the Gaming X. If you want cards that do well out of box and never want to overclock an FE card, then these are fine considerations that can grant 6-11% performance uplift over the reference cards. If you remove the thermal constraint, that advantage is closer to 1-3% over FE.

It comes down to picking the card that best fits the build, both physically and aesthetically.

TLDR: ALL THESE CARDS ARE THE SAME!

Hey guys, I can't seem to find any review about Gigabyte's GTX 1080Ti Gaming OC, all the reviews I found were about the Aorus.

I'm interested in that model because it seems to be shorter than others, so I was wondering if anyone got it or if anyone found a review about it

Weevilone

My 1080Ti FE step-up from EVGA just arrived on the porch! The whole 1080 FTW -> 1080 ICX -> 1080Ti path went far more quickly than I expected.

Did anyone of you install an aftermarket cooler, like the Arctic Accelero Xtreme IV? That one was quite impressive on the 1080.

Accelero Xtreme III on a FE 1080ti, he even used liquid metal on the die.

Unless you can get a nice discount on the FE, or if you happen to have an accelero laying around, its just better to get a custom cooled card straight from the factory. I would also rather get an hybrid kit. But the results from the Accelero III are pretty damn good.

dragos495

My 1080Ti FE step-up from EVGA just arrived on the porch! The whole 1080 FTW -> 1080 ICX -> 1080Ti path went far more quickly than I expected.

i just applied for the step up program. but i dont have high hopes.

i have a evga 1080 sc bought in a prebuilt system from scan computers in the uk. i still am in the 90 days required, anything after 17.01 qualifies, i registered back then and uploaded the invoice (to the whole system..., didnt had a separate one for the gpu).

hopefully i get accepted, the upgrade is only ~130$ including shipping (i dont have the box for my 1080 though, didnt get one).

The Dude

Starting to have a few lockup issues with my aorus. So I'm not sure if it's just because Andromeda is not a technical marvel, if it's just way to sensitive to any type of OC with this card, of if my old psu is just not pushing this card like it needs.

So my experience is when in playing its typically find, smooth, looks amazing, Temps mid 60s,... But then I'll hit a lockup moment and I'll reboot my Pc and here's what I don't get is the gigabyte and windows logo on boot up are jacked up. But once my windows login appears everything is fine.

Going into the mass effect from restart is interesting because it'd lock on the load bar but in task it doesn't say not responding. So it's like it's just hanging there.

Getting a little frustrated because I'm not sure what I'm dealing with. I think I need to game normal with no OC and see what I get for awhile and go from there.

But I got this hunch of Psu might have a hand in some issues.

I also got a few times that Dx error, where it says the gpu has been removed or something like that... Anyone else experienc that?

twisted89

Anyone waiting for the msi sea hawk EK X, after pestering support for over a week with no reply (they're totally useless) I've been told it will be available in may.

Weevilone

I have a couple of different cards in hand but haven't messed with benchmarking for a year+.

What should I use to produce a stress scenario so I can compare what the 2 cards auto-clock at using the same fan curve? I know this is a bit different than traditional overclocking, but I want to see where the card puts itself at a given noise/power threshold.

Edit: It's weird.. the Valley benchmark stutters hard every 10-12 seconds. Not sure if a background task is pulling it down or what.

Top Bottom