• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 50 “Blackwell” GPU Configs Revealed

StereoVsn

W5y49Kt.jpeg
Damn, I will need to upgrade to like 1200w for 5090 or even 5080.

Rivdoric

I suppose that's because of RT performance.
My 4090 that i did UV a lot does not go beyond 250W on Raster on 6K res but once i enable RT it can go BOOM 400+W.
They really need to completely overhaul that part or we'll end up with 1000W Gpu soon.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I think my 1000w platinum psu will be fine. Plus I run my RTX 3090 at 80% power to reduce the heat & noise so I'll likely do the same again for the RTX 5090.

Hot5pur

Cool.
Unless there is a major GPU breakthrough I suspect generations will be spaced further and further apart. 4090 won't need a replacement for a good half decade from now. We also have hit some serious diminishing returns on visuals. When is the last time you heard someone get excited about how good the graphics are in a game lol, don't forget we also will be bottlenecked by consoles with a certain power and cost envelope

Celcius

°Temp. member
If this will be 600w then I also assume it uses that long rumored 4 slot FE cooler with the vertical PCB...

Hohenheim

I hope the 5090 and the 9900x3d is coming out around the same time. Should be a killer combo for a awesome new build!

Last edited:

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
I definitely won’t be getting a 5090.

If the 5080 has 24GB VRAM I might get that. I have a 1000W PSU so it should be fine.

My 4080 is undervolted with negligible difference in performance from stock but it runs cooler and more efficient. It runs up to about 70W lower than stock.

My rough guess is my PC uses no more than 700W at full load. 310W is max my GPU runs at and I’ve never seen my CPU go above 170W. I don’t know what the rest of my PC uses like motherboard/RAM/SSDs/fans and AIO.

I definitely won’t be getting a 5090.

If the 5080 has 24GB VRAM I might get that. I have a 1000W PSU so it should be fine.

My 4080 is undervolted with negligible difference in performance from stock but it runs cooler and more efficient. It runs up to about 70W lower than stock.

My rough guess is my PC uses no more than 700W at full load. 310W is max my GPU runs at and I’ve never seen my CPU go above 170W. I don’t know what the rest of my PC uses like motherboard/RAM/SSDs/fans and AIO.
My PC (7800X3D + 4080S) consumes a maximum of 430 watts according to my power meter. If your CPU is drawing 110 watts more, then your entire PC should be drawing around 540 watts.

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
NVIDIA keeping the sub xx90 GPUs down in cores is hugely disappointing.

We can only hope AMD can bring something competitive with RDNA 5, because NVIDIA is just doing whatever they want at this point.

nkarafo

I have a room heater that consumes 750W.

With this GPU, total system consumption during gaming would exceed that.

I don't get it. Don't you people pay power bills? Is electricity that cheap in your country? I wouldn't keep any device that consumes anywhere close to that for more than an hour/day.

I don't get it. Don't you people pay power bills? Is electricity that cheap in your country? I wouldn't keep any device that consumes anywhere close to that for more than an hour/day.

Presumably people buying a $2000 video card aren't concerned.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right

And also the possible ancillary costs such as trying to cool the room and move that PC waste heat outside/elsewhere. Or folks can just limit their Blackwell gaming to winter or cooler times of the day 🙂

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter

My 4090 usually draws about 300W when gaming. Don’t let those figures fool you.

Gubaldo

Neo Member
My performance predictions
5090 = 65%-70% over 4090
5080 = 10-15% over 4090
5070 = 5-10% over 4080
5060Ti = 4070 super
5060 = 3070 ti

Last edited:

Hohenheim

5090 = 65%-70% over 4090
5080 = 10-15% over 4090
5070 = 5-10% over 4080
5060Ti = 4070 super
5060 = 3070 ti
If the 5090 is 70% better than the 4090, that's very awesome.
I bet the improvements will be major in the 5090 and very less so in the cards below, just like with the 40-series.

Luipadre

Gold Member
I have a 3070ti and i think im gonna swtich to a 5080. Should be a big upgrade. Wonder what DLSS4 will look like

Last edited:

hinch7

5090 = 65%-70% over 4090
5080 = 10-15% over 4090
5070 = 5-10% over 4080
5060Ti = 4070 super
5060 = 3070 ti
Assuming you're going off this leak and rumor.

If Nvidia keeps prices for the 5080 and others under control. This could be a really good generation. Keep the flagship high (premium) and the rest around what they are currently priced.

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
will these likely keep the same power connector as 4000 cards?

the more i think of it, i might just get a 5090 even it means a new PSU if my 1000W isn't enough.

Assuming you're going off this leak and rumor.

If Nvidia keeps prices for the 5080 and others under control. This could be a really good generation. Keep the flagship high (premium) and the rest around what they are currently priced.
"under control"?
The prices are completely out of control since the Ampere Era when Covid and BTC entered the stage. And they have never been normal ever since. We`re talking about a company that decided to more than double their margin in the blink of an eye because customers are obviously ready to pay that much.
At best they are not escalating any further...which I seriously doubt given that every bit of silcone they dedicate to GPUs eats into their vastly....vastly....more profitable AI hardware production capacities.

Metnut

Are these top-end cards at risk of causing a fire given alll of the power they draw? Do you need a special electrical configuration in your house to make this work?

Hohenheim

will these likely keep the same power connector as 4000 cards?

the more i think of it, i might just get a 5090 even it means a new PSU if my 1000W isn't enough.
Yeah, I always get the 90-version when upgrading. It's pricey, but the feeling of settling with something less when I could get the top model if I only saved up a bit more.. that's not a cool feeling. And I want to feel good when doing a major upgrade like this. Probably silly, but it's my only expensive hobby so it's fine I guess.
Learned this when I got the 3080, and quickly sold it and replaced it with the 3090 back in the day.

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
Are these top-end cards at risk of causing a fire given alll of the power they draw? Do you need a special electrical configuration in your house to make this work?
the 4090 melted because people weren't putting the connector in properly. they revised it so it's easier to insert and makes better contact with the pins.

other than that i don't think there is any reason why it would cause a fire lol. the cable is rated for up to 600W so the 5090 will be taking advantage of that but it should be fine. i imagine 600W is only in extreme situations or it'll only hit 600W for short spikes.

Hohenheim

Only risk of fire is if the connectors get bent or are not really well connected. Or if you try to squeeze a huge card into a small cabinet with poor cooling I suppose..

hinch7

"under control"?
The prices are completely out of control since the Ampere Era when Covid and BTC entered the stage. And they have never been normal ever since. We`re talking about a company that decided to more than double their margin in the blink of an eye because customers are obviously ready to pay that much.
At best they are not escalating any further...which I seriously doubt given that every bit of silcone they dedicate to GPUs eats into their vastly....vastly....more profitable AI hardware production capacities.
Consumers have dictated prices though from the 4000 series. At least in the lower tiers (4080 and under) weren't selling at over $1000. 4060 and 70's were struggling too until price drops. The 4090 however have shown Nvidia they can charge more.

But knowing Nvidia they'll keep them high because AMD is MIA outside of a midrange and low end card with RDNA 4. And yeah Ai/enterprise revenue.

Last edited:

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
Yeah, I always get the 90-version when upgrading. It's pricey, but the feeling of settling with something less when I could get the top model if I only saved up a bit more.. that's not a cool feeling. And I want to feel good when doing a major upgrade like this. Probably silly, but it's my only expensive hobby so it's fine I guess.
Learned this when I got the 3080, and quickly sold it and replaced it with the 3090 back in the day.
i got a 4080 and was kicking myself for not saving up a bit more for the 4090 but i'm not too mad because it was what i could afford, the 4090 was hardly ever in stock, and i had to buy a new PSU.

the 4080 hasn't let me down and it's a fantastic card but this time i'll try save for the 5090 but we'll see how much they hike the price and if i think i need another new PSU lol.

MikeM

Gold Member
giphy.webp

But yeah lol. Should be interesting to see how the midrange fairs with this and when RDNA 4 releases. Should the 5070 match it in performance.
Daddy Jensen wants to further increase margins. The 50 series is going to be more expensive than the 40 series. And lets be real- Nvidia hates allocating silicon to consumer GPUs. They’d move all of it to AI chips if they could.

PeteBull

Gold Member

Thats my big worry, not even power bill but how to cool that thing off, 3080ti i currently got, rog strix version mind u, with gargantuan cooling, is barely enough, it cools it well but card can either be cool or quiet, never both if at max powerdraw/efficiency already, it sometimes goes over 2100rpm rofl :p

hinch7

Daddy Jensen wants to further increase margins. The 50 series is going to be more expensive than the 40 series. And lets be real- Nvidia hates allocating silicon to consumer GPUs. They’d move all of it to AI chips if they could.
I think it all depends on how RDNA 4 performs. I very much doubt they'd let AMD get away with a win with the 8800XT in the mid range. For perceptions sake if anything.

Even with the business moving towards supply ai chips, they'd need a safety net in case if the ai bubble bursts.

Top Bottom