• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official GAF The Last of Us Multiplayer Tournament

Moofers

Shit, just wanted to share a video. Forgot this was the tourney thread. AND I don't know how to export beyond Facebook. Oops. Ignore this. In short, I died right in front if teammates who could've revived me.

beta_fuse

Can anyone from CheeseGAF please let me know if tonight is good for our match?
6:30-7 pm EST? If not please let me know if ay other time is more favorable and we'll figure something out.

beta_fuse

Yeah what TheLostBigBoss said. Unfortunately it's not gonna be moving much quicker if we don't get a sub to play now. If anything can we ask one of our friends for this match? Also CheeseGAF please let us know if you can play now or within the next 30 mins. Thanks

GQman2121

Banned
Macaroni Champions

jSqBiYH.jpg

VS

Not Like This

notlikethiss5j0e.png

TONIGHT @ 10:30 PM est. | 7:30 PM pdt

Streams will be posted closer to match time.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Oh I missed that yesterday, thanks for the reminder!

Haven't really heard anything substantial from Team IFA today (did get a cryptic "!!!" reply thirty minutes ago though) so I'm not sure what is going on. This is the time that their party leader suggested so...

Gaz_RB

Haven't really heard anything substantial from Team IFA today (did get a cryptic "!!!" reply thirty minutes ago though) so I'm not sure what is going on. This is the time that their party leader suggested so...

Well let me know how it goes. Communication is key for this tourney, and Team IFA has disappointed me a lot recently.

It's gone midnight here so Team IFA haven't got long to play us tonight. We haven't heard much.

And it was the time they suggested, huh?

Gaz_RB

Tonight at 10:30 PM EST, Ravagers vs Best Friends Club.

We changing maps?

Oh shit, round 4 already! Yes. I'll update the OP. Here are the new maps for Round 4 and onwards:

Supply Raid - Hometown
Survivors- Capitol
Interrogation - Checkpoint

Strider

Gaz needs to pull out the whip for the lack of scheduling too

Teams are in round 4 while we don't even know who we are playing in round 2 yet :(

Gaz_RB

I don't mind if you guys play that Survivors game, but Team IFA is already disqualified for failing to stream the game on Lakeside.

Here was the warning:
Updated Bracket
http://challonge.com/TLOUGAF

No boosters in private matches.

Also, I'm sorry for the issues you've had, but I can't take the blame for most of them. I've tried to keep this thread updated on all the latest updates and changes, and for this type of tournament, it is on the teams to communicate with me and keep themselves updated. Though I do feel bad for you.

Lastly, while I let this slip in your last match because your team was having issues, Team IFA must post a link to their next match's stream in the thread or you will be disqualified. Make sure you've read the OP and the Protocol.

Oh shit, round 4 already! Yes. I'll update the OP. Here are the new maps for Round 4 and onwards:

Supply Raid - Hometown
Survivors- Capitol
Interrogation - Checkpoint

Is there any reason why Hometown was chosen? I think it's one of the weaker maps. I'd vote Coal Mine.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I don't see why it's that hard to read the rules for the tournament you've decided to join...

Because this was handled like dog shit. Sorry the reason we had LAAAGGGGG as another said is because my stream was destroying my bandwith. Who cares if we don't stream. We get DQed because of that....

you care more about the stream than the fact that higher levels have more loadout points? the fact that certain people have the dlc survival skills? People have jobs too, so playing during the week with 4 people and 4 others takes some coordination, that's why online tournaments generally are spread out, not just tossed up immediately. I felt bad that we weren't available right away, but again we all work.

I think this was handled very poorly, we didn't even get to try a 3rd round because of a bullshit DQ even though we earned a shot at it in the thing that matters in a tourney, the game

Why does 1 stream matter when there are 4 players on each time? Doesn't make any damn sense. This tournament has been ridiculously disappointing.

edit- for the record I started with a stream, and it kept crashing.

Gaz_RB

Because this was handled like dog shit.
To be frank, I think it is more your conduct and communication that has been "dog shit", not the running of the tournament.
Sorry the reason we had LAAAGGGGG as another said is because my stream was destroying my bandwith. Who cares if we don't stream. We get DQed because of that....
Yes you were DQed because you didn't post a stream link in both of your matches, even after warnings that you actually responded too. This has been in the rules since the beginning, and it is on you if you joined a tournament before reading the rules to make sure they were satisfactory before you registered. And if you were streaming (that was supposedly causing lag) why didn't you post a link?

you care more about the stream than the fact that higher levels have more loadout points? the fact that certain people have the dlc survival skills?
Yes, from the beginning, I've always said that the games must be streamed and that there were no restrictions. This is a fun tournament being run for the community of GAF, not some super strict MLG level tournament. If you had qualms with there being no restrictions, perhaps it would have been better to voice those earlier/not registering a team at all.
People have jobs too, so playing during the week with 4 people and 4 others takes some coordination, that's why online tournaments generally are spread out, not just tossed up immediately. I felt bad that we weren't available right away, but again we all work.
If you would have openly communicated with me regarding time problems, that would have been fine. All the times were flexible, yet you "felt bad" about rescheduling, like many other teams have done. It seems like the only time you ever communicate was to complain about how your team had lost, and how the tournament was run shitty. Other teams have had far less problems, and I've been able to work with them without issue. Except Team IFA.

And I agree, online tournaments are spread out. Like this one is. The other thing online tournaments require is communication.
I think this was handled very poorly, we didn't even get to try a 3rd round because of a bullshit DQ even though we earned a shot at it in the thing that matters in a tourney, the game
The game does matter, but so does following the rules set around those games, and I'm sorry you weren't able to deal with them like the 16 other teams easily were.
Why does 1 stream matter when there are 4 players on each time? Doesn't make any damn sense. This tournament has been ridiculously disappointing.
edit- for the record I started with a stream, and it kept crashing.
Why didn't you have someone else on your team stream? And you say the stream wouldn't work because it kept crashing, but earlier you said it was the reason for your lag?

Ultimately I think your team and it's conduct has been more disappointing to me then anything else about this tournament.

Gaz, you should update the main post with Ravagers vs The Best Friends Club at 10:30 EST.

Done.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
To be frank, I think it is more your conduct and communication that has been "dog shit", not the running of the tournament.

Yes you were DQed because you didn't post a stream link in both of your matches, even after warnings that you actually responded too. This has been in the rules since the beginning, and it is on you if you joined a tournament before reading the rules to make sure they were satisfactory before you registered. And if you were streaming (that was supposedly causing lag) why didn't you post a link?

Yes, from the beginning, I've always said that the games must be streamed and that there were no restrictions. This is a fun tournament being run for the community of GAF, not some super strict MLG level tournament. If you had qualms with there being no restrictions, perhaps it would have been better to voice those earlier/not registering a team at all.

If you would have openly communicated with me regarding time problems, that would have been fine. All the times were flexible, yet you "felt bad" about rescheduling, like many other teams have done. It seems like the only time you ever communicate was to complain about how your team had lost, and how the tournament was run shitty. Other teams have had far less problems, and I've been able to work with them without issue. Except Team IFA.

And I agree, online tournaments are spread out. Like this one is. The other thing online tournaments require is communication.

The game does matter, but so does following the rules set around those games, and I'm sorry you weren't able to deal with them like the 16 other teams easily were.

Why didn't you have someone else on your team stream? And you say the stream wouldn't work because it kept crashing, but earlier you said it was the reason for your lag?

Ultimately I think your team and it's conduct has been more disappointing to me then anything else about this tournament.

Done.

i started with a stream and immediately the game went to shit i was skipping around the map, and ultimately went down. tried again same result. if it's not a super strict tourney why should something like a stream nobody watches matter. youre right i didnt voice my opinion enough, its retrospect and its not direct blame but my teammates had 11 total loadout points vs. also dlc guns and skills were used straight up. to me that has far more of and effect on the game than a stream nobody will watch. ill admit that part is my fault, shouldve been more vocal nothing i can change about it.

Alienous

i started with a stream and immediately the game went to shit i was skipping around the map, and ultimately went down. tried again same result. if it's not a super strict tourney why should something like a stream nobody watches matter. youre right i didnt voice my opinion enough, its retrospect and its not direct blame but my teammates had 11 total loadout points vs. also dlc guns and skills were used straight up. to me that has far more of and effect on the game than a stream nobody will watch. ill admit that part is my fault, shouldve been more vocal nothing i can change about it.

It seems like you simply weren't ready for the tournament yet. Don't worry about it, hopefully more will come. Perhaps even hosted by you, if you are willing to go through the trouble of putting it together and offering prizes.

GavinUK86

People have jobs too, so playing during the week with 4 people and 4 others takes some coordination, that's why online tournaments generally are spread out, not just tossed up immediately.

Dude, thousands of miles and an 8 hour time difference between me and my teammates didn't stop us from scheduling our matches with other teams yet you had all these issues.

You need to chill out. Gaz is doing a pretty awesome job at organising this.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
It seems like you simply weren't ready for the tournament yet. Don't worry about it, hopefully more will come. Perhaps even hosted by you, if you are willing to go through the trouble of putting it together and offering prizes.

we definitely weren't ready for it i agree, the scheduling really Fucked us, we genuinely thought we'd have more than a 2 day buffer, hopefully next time we can do survivor bracketslike originally planned.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Dude, thousands of miles and an 8 hour time difference between me and my teammates didn't stop us from scheduling our matches with other teams yet you had all these issues.

You need to chill out. Gaz is doing a pretty awesome job at organising this.

Im not mad about the scheduling Im pretty upset about the dq but is what it is. like i said all 4 of us have jobs. maybe you guys are part time? maybe you have better schedules, it was tough but im not complaining about that now, i take the blame for that.if

Gaz_RB

Im not mad about the scheduling Im pretty upset about the dq but is what it is. like i said all 4 of us have jobs. maybe you guys are part time? maybe you have better schedules, it was tough but im not complaining about that now, i take the blame for that.if

There was someone who PMed me saying that they were going to be out of town for a few days and wouldn't be able to compete. It's fine and they can postpone and find a better time to play their opponents.
There was someone else who was running late and their game was therefore pushed back.
There was someone else who had issues with the Round 1 scheduling, and they managed to work it out between me and the other teams.
The thing that they had in common was that they communicated with me and with the other teams to work things out.

We all have jobs and obligations. Part of being in this type of tournament is planning around those, and being ok with that type of commitment before they registered. If they had questions, they asked. If they had problems, we worked it out. Be that technical difficulties before matches or scheduling difficulties.

Top Bottom