• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official GAF The Last of Us Multiplayer Tournament

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Indeed they are.

Hey, I would be pretty upset too if my team was DQ, but rules are rules.

My opinion is that its a crap rule that in the grand scheme makes no sense given how loose the rules were in this tournament.

Can anybody at least try to understand why an uneven number of loadout points seems more crucial than a stream?

That being said I understand it, i didn't read the rules properly that's what it comes down to. The tournament snuck up on me and happened quick, and it's hard to get all 4 of us free at the same time given our jobs. I work mostly afternoons to nights, my friends work mornings, 1 works weekends, etc. The one thing we all had in common was late nights are good to go. Unfortunately given the time differences there had to be give on both sides.

Gaz_RB

lol. XD

Ravagers vs Best Friends Club has no logo nor a time. ;)

Haha I was a little distracted sorry, putting it up now

Is there any reason why Hometown was chosen? I think it's one of the weaker maps. I'd vote Coal Mine.

Hm, I thought most people didn't like Coal Mine and preferred Hometown. I'm willing to change it given some amount of agreement on a different map before the first round 4 game.

Gaz_RB

|||| Schedule ||||

Sangre Por Sangre VS The Guardians
theGuardiansBanner_zpse2eb709b.png
3d146cb8-ceaf-47ca-a7d1-e950afda0ed0_zpsdc20eec2.jpg

8:00 PM PDT TUESDAY

Macaroni Champions VS Not Like This
jSqBiYH.jpg

notlikethiss5j0e.png

TONIGHT @ 10:30 PM est. | 7:30 PM pdt

Ravagers VS The Best Friends Club
jGZ.png

TONIGHT @ 10:30 PM est. | 7:30 PM pdt

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
i started with a stream and immediately the game went to shit i was skipping around the map, and ultimately went down. tried again same result. if it's not a super strict tourney why should something like a stream nobody watches matter. youre right i didnt voice my opinion enough, its retrospect and its not direct blame but my teammates had 11 total loadout points vs. also dlc guns and skills were used straight up. to me that has far more of and effect on the game than a stream nobody will watch. ill admit that part is my fault, shouldve been more vocal nothing i can change about it.

Hey man that sucks about the DQ. I understand where you are coming from but like graymatter said, rules are rules. I believe Gaz was pretty lenient if in fact he did give you a warning/pass for not streaming the first round. You also have to understand that he is juggling over forty players' schedules. For example, Gav on our team is overseas so we have scheduling problems as well and that's why I contacted you so quickly after our first match so we could get that straightened out.

As for the DLC Skills/Perks, there were lengthy discussions on the subject before the rules were put in place. I believe among the reasoning to allow them was that the standard loadouts available to all players already provided these perks/weapons to non-DLC players and that the DLC weapons didn't really provide an undisputed advantage, just another strategy. As for the DLC gestures, Unstable is guilty as charged for using the Naughty Dog Banderas gesture to all his might, even if it ends up distracting us more then it intimidates the competition. :p

And just for the record, before the DQ was fully known, we (The Left Behind) did win the Supply Raid round and our teams tied the Survivor round. Looking back, I wish I hadn't checked GAF during the break so we could have played the full thing out. But kudos to a well fought match, you guys had us on the edge in survivor!

Gaz_RB

My opinion is that its a crap rule that in the grand scheme makes no sense given how loose the rules were in this tournament.
Can anybody at least try to understand why an uneven number of loadout points seems more crucial than a stream?

I created this tournament first and foremost so that GAF and I could have fun and win some prizes. That meant GAF as a whole, including those who couldn't/didn't want to participate. In order to include as many people as possible in this tournament, I decided that streaming would be mandatory so that everyone could watch and have fun together. As far as I know it is the first GAF tournament that has been fully streamed, and with the ease of streaming on next gen consoles, I hope it starts a trend.

As for your loadout point/restrictions issue you keep bringing up-I'm pretty sure that if people are losing in this tourney it is due to skill, not the amount of loadout points they had. You are the only one who has complained about it as far as I remember, and I have had many that wanted zero restrictions.

Again, I'm sorry you got DQed. After I warned you already I was really hoping you would stream that match or stop the match until you could get streaming working. Because ultimately I just want people to have fun, not get disqualified. But I didn't want people to think that not following the rules was allowed.

What about University for supply raid for the 4th round?

I can feel it. I was trying to get some more DLC maps into the rotation but I'm down with Uni. Also, there will be one more map rotation for the finals.

Gaz_RB

Bills Town for Supply Raid in 4th Round. Pls?

I think we're going with University. I've had a few PMs suggesting that. Bill's Town will appear in the finals.

The Maps for Round 4 and the Semi Finals will be

Supply Raid - University
Survivors- Capitol
Interrogation - Checkpoint

The Maps for the Finals will be

Supply Raid - Bill's Town
Survivors - Bookstore
Interrogation - Coal Mine.

I think we're going with University. I've had a few PMs suggesting that. Bill's Town will appear in the finals.

Supply Raid - University
Survivors- Capitol

Survivors - Bookstore

SWEEEEEET!

Also, GUARDIANS. ASSEMBLE.

Gaz_RB

Updated protocol in OP:
|||| Protocol ||||
UPDATE IF YOU ARE PAST ROUND THREE
Supply Raid - University
Survivors- Capitol

Survivors - Bookstore

1 | Get into a private match with your opponent
2 | Both teams set up your stream from the PS4-make sure archiving is set on Twitch-and post the links here in the thread (one person per team); name your stream GAF TOURNAMENT-[TEAM NAME]. I will update the OP with the stream link so everyone on GAF can watch
3 | First game is Supply Raid played on Lakeside unless you are past round 3, then consult above
4 | Switch hosts so that someone on the other team is hosting
5 | Second game is Survivors played on High School unless you are past round 3, then consult above
6 | If there is still a tie, switch hosts again and play Interrogation on Dam unless you are past round 3, then consult above
7 | If there is still a tie, switch hosts and play Supply Raid on Lakeside
8 | Celebrate or cry
9 | Report results in the thread

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Hey man that sucks about the DQ. I understand where you are coming from but like graymatter said, rules are rules. I believe Gaz was pretty lenient if in fact he did give you a warning/pass for not streaming the first round. You also have to understand that he is juggling over forty players' schedules. For example, Gav on our team is overseas so we have scheduling problems as well and that's why I contacted you so quickly after our first match so we could get that straightened out.

As for the DLC Skills/Perks, there were lengthy discussions on the subject before the rules were put in place. I believe among the reasoning to allow them was that the standard loadouts available to all players already provided these perks/weapons to non-DLC players and that the DLC weapons didn't really provide an undisputed advantage, just another strategy. As for the DLC gestures, Unstable is guilty as charged for using the Naughty Dog Banderas gesture to all his might, even if it ends up distracting us more then it intimidates the competition. :p

And just for the record, before the DQ was fully known, we (The Left Behind) did win the Supply Raid round and our teams tied the Survivor round. Looking back, I wish I hadn't checked GAF during the break so we could have played the full thing out. But kudos to a well fought match, you guys had us on the edge in survivor!

Hey at least you understand. We were having a damn good match, I don't have any qualms with that. I don't even mind the loadout point thing the only reason I point to it now is that if we have these rules in place for a feature that breaks my connection, why not have other rules in place? Like I said that's my bad for not being vocal prior to the match. I'm not a "salty" guy, you're teammates took the asshole route instead of trying to understand, if we lost we lost fair and square, but when we left it you came back and tied it 3-3 on a best of 7 in which we had you 3-2 at one point, so it's not like we got rolled, so whose to say the interrogation couldn't go either way? Disappointing rule and a lousy way to find out after hanging on for a chance at the win.

I created this tournament first and foremost so that GAF and I could have fun and win some prizes. That meant GAF as a whole, including those who couldn't/didn't want to participate. In order to include as many people as possible in this tournament, I decided that streaming would be mandatory so that everyone could watch and have fun together. As far as I know it is the first GAF tournament that has been fully streamed, and with the ease of streaming on next gen consoles, I hope it starts a trend.

As for your loadout point/restrictions issue you keep bringing up-I'm pretty sure that if people are losing in this tourney it is due to skill, not the amount of loadout points they had. You are the only one who has complained about it as far as I remember, and I have had many that wanted zero restrictions.

Again, I'm sorry you got DQed. After I warned you already I was really hoping you would stream that match or stop the match until you could get streaming working. Because ultimately I just want people to have fun, not get disqualified. But I didn't want people to think that not following the rules was allowed.

I can feel it. I was trying to get some more DLC maps into the rotation but I'm down with Uni. Also, there will be one more map rotation for the finals.

We didn't lose because of "skill" we lost because of a DQ on a lousy rule that has no effect on the outcome of the game, that's not to say we wouldn't have lost, but who knows. Also we lost our first survivors round 4-3, to say 2 loadout points or DLC weapons or skills don't have an effect is assinine sorry. My teammate was lvl 0 so he doesn't have sharpshooter 2 or 3 unlocked, he doesn't have crafter 2 or 3 unlocked, he doesn't have first aid expert (name?) unlocked to heal teammates, etc etc etc.

Also the dlc pistol is a significant advantage as is the DLC skill Agility allowing you to crawl significantly faster and be difficult to spot. In a match of 2 teams with even skill, but one team with a handicap that can EASILY make all the difference. Next time we do this I'll be more vocal.

Supply Raid - University
Survivors- Capitol

Survivors - Bookstore

Coal Mine?!

Vomit.gif

To the guy above me the DLC pistol seems great at first but it really isn't. I was infatuated at first but I realized how meh it was soon enough. Its not even meh its just not GREAT.

CheeseGAF VS Shivver Me Timbers

Please get this scheduled ASAP. Getting tired of twiddling thumbs waiting to even know who our opponent is.

beta_fuse

Please get this scheduled ASAP. Getting tired of twiddling thumbs waiting to even know who our opponent is.

Well I hope you don't twiddle your thumbs too much or else you might cramp up before your next match. This 5 hour difference between time zones is really causing problems for both teams. We are well aware of the situation and are trying our best to get this done ASAP like you said but being annoyed and telling us about it isn't going to speed up the process. Gaz is in on the situation too and hopefully we can get this match done either tomorrow night or Thursday night and if that isn't to your liking then you're just gonna have to twiddle a bit longer until one of us is disqualified.

Gaz_RB

Hey at least you understand. We were having a damn good match, I don't have any qualms with that. I don't even mind the loadout point thing the only reason I point to it now is that if we have these rules in place for a feature that breaks my connection, why not have other rules in place? Like I said that's my bad for not being vocal prior to the match.

Why not have someone else on your team stream?

ya that needs to happen badly

Sorry guys, we're working on it and you'll have to be patient. Such is the nature of these things.

Im not mad about the scheduling Im pretty upset about the dq but is what it is. like i said all 4 of us have jobs. maybe you guys are part time? maybe you have better schedules, it was tough but im not complaining about that now, i take the blame for that.if

Holy shit the fucking salt.

Yea, I know. This is getting a bit ridiculous. If it has to come down to it we should 3v3 it, cause I'm tired of holding up the whole losers bracket.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Hey at least you understand. We were having a damn good match, I don't have any qualms with that. I don't even mind the loadout point thing the only reason I point to it now is that if we have these rules in place for a feature that breaks my connection, why not have other rules in place? Like I said that's my bad for not being vocal prior to the match. I'm not a "salty" guy, you're teammates took the asshole route instead of trying to understand, if we lost we lost fair and square, but when we left it you came back and tied it 3-3 on a best of 7 in which we had you 3-2 at one point, so it's not like we got rolled, so whose to say the interrogation couldn't go either way? Disappointing rule and a lousy way to find out after hanging on for a chance at the win.

At the time my team was justifiably fed up after the consistent lack of communication, waiting for you guys to show up after the scheduled match time (once again it was already 12AM for Gav), and then having their performance in the match questioned after the DQ. That's why you got such a response from them.

Now that the dust has settled, I do believe that some of your points are relevant but you should have made them before the warning and the DQ (which I think you understand now).

Top Bottom