• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official NBA2K9 GAF Season...6(?) Thread!

daw840

GG Bob, I seriously hate having to look at the stats to make sure I am not "breaking any rules" with points in the paint. My team seem to be centered completely around points in the paint. If I don't play heavily on the inside, I get completely blown out.

Mrbob

Yeah GG man.

I don't know why Chandler misses so many bunnies though. I gotta remember to hold the right trigger and slam it down. I also can't shoot free throws. :lol :(

daw840

Mrbob said:
Yeah GG man.

I don't know why Chandler misses so many bunnies though. I gotta remember to hold the right trigger and slam it down. I also can't shoot free throws. :lol :(

One of your guys has a very strange free throw shot motion. I don't think I could hit shit with him either. Then again, I can't really shoot free throws that well either.:lol

Mrbob

Yeah you were 2/10 shooting free throws and i was 3/20!!!

Ewwwwwww. Only reason I won that game was my guys were on fire at 3 pointers at times.

My dream of a 2-28 season is halfway there!

Smokey

Mrbob said:
Yeah you were 2/10 shooting free throws and i was 3/20!!!

Ewwwwwww. Only reason I won that game was my guys were on fire at 3 pointers at times.

My dream of a 2-28 season is halfway there!

wat

you guys do know that on the 1st free throw you have to release the shot stick really early to get a perfect release or good release. The frame rate is different when the camera is up close that's why. On the 2nd shot you can release it like normal.

daw840 said:
GG Bob, I seriously hate having to look at the stats to make sure I am not "breaking any rules" with points in the paint. My team seem to be centered completely around points in the paint. If I don't play heavily on the inside, I get completely blown out.

You've got shooters man. Iverson, Smith...Anthony. Do you run any plays from your playbook? Go through there and find plays you like and practice with them. Those can create a lot of looks for your guys.

Mrbob

Oh...I...I...didn't know that. :D

Makes sense now! I was getting confused. It would say I'm too late or too early on my first free throw...I would adjust for the second based off the first shot and miss. :(

00shoot_me.jpg

The frustration and annoyances with this game outweigh my desire to grin and bear playing this game for another minute right now. God I wish I had more time to fully play this game prior to the league starting, it's a joke to me...

The fact I have to create my starting line up and player rotations prior to every game and it doesn't save them ever; pisses me off.

The delay in shooting for catch and shoot scenarios, pisses me off

The timing on free throws glitches, pisses me off.

The fact the post play is borked (i.e. for some reason my bigs won't back down when they immediately catch the ball), pisses me off

I can go on and on and on and on about the things I can't stand, but you get the point...

How you guys manage to play and enjoy it is something I can't figure out, and it makes me jealous I'm not enjoying the game like you guys are.

20 more games to go, and all I think of is how angry and sad I am that this franchise is dead to me now... :(

ecnal

Smokey said:
wat

you guys do know that on the 1st free throw you have to release the shot stick really early to get a perfect release or good release. The frame rate is different when the camera is up close that's why. On the 2nd shot you can release it like normal..

well, online FTs finally make sense :lol

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
pheeniks said:
Interested in Hill/Barbosa/Barnes/Bell?

not quite. i got enough small fowards. id have to get atleast a starting SG back and another good player.

Smokey

Shawnwhann said:
00shoot_me.jpg

The frustration and annoyances with this game outweigh my desire to grin and bear playing this game for another minute right now. God I wish I had more time to fully play this game prior to the league starting, it's a joke to me...

The fact I have to create my starting line up and player rotations prior to every game and it doesn't save them ever; pisses me off.

The delay in shooting for catch and shoot scenarios, pisses me off

The timing on free throws glitches, pisses me off.

The fact the post play is borked (i.e. for some reason my bigs won't back down when they immediately catch the ball), pisses me off

I can go on and on and on and on about the things I can't stand, but you get the point...

How you guys manage to play and enjoy it is something I can't figure out, and it makes me jealous I'm not enjoying the game like you guys are.

20 more games to go, and all I think of is how angry and sad I am that this franchise is dead to me now... :(

You've got to play it some more. I felt the same way honestly...until I went to practice mode and used the tutorials until I got a feel for 2K9. It can't be played like 2K8.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Smokey you NEED to make an non-trade list man. Or have you decided against it? I do not want to see tons of trades of big names like we used to. FMT and Fifty would trade their whole teams and then wind up with something they hated. Two players per team need to be protected.
I'm fine with teams giving input on which two of their stars will be protected, but there has to be some restrictions.
We've already seen Joe Johnson get traded. Not good.

Shawn: I had the same issue with the lineup after doing a trade. I somehow got it to save though. Right after the trade it had Bron at PF, Wally at SF and Tinsey at SG. Where as I wanted Bron at SF, Wally at SG and Big Hair Dude at PF. I did it several times and it finally caught. Not sure why. I did save it and then left the league lobby and then came back. I wish I knew what made it work man. But I did get it fixed. Hope. Hope. Hope.

CB3

viakado said:
i'll give you my best big (horford) plus one of my guards minus bibby for REDD and trash!
do it! you need a big!
not really. Andrew Bogut is rated like the same

Smokey

Truelize said:
Smokey you NEED to make an non-trade list man. Or have you decided against it? I do not want to see tons of trades of big names like we used to. FMT and Fifty would trade their whole teams and then wind up with something they hated. Two players per team need to be protected.
I'm fine with teams giving input on which two of their stars will be protected, but there has to be some restrictions.
We've already seen Joe Johnson get traded. Not good.

..But whose fault is that?

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Smokey said:
..But whose fault is that?

Well are you making a list or not? I have no clue whose fault it was. Mine? I don' think so. I wasn't the lead commish that season.

Oh my gosh!! I'm just playing with the trades and looking at everyone's teams and you know how it gives you your players on the left in a box and then you can switch teams on the right to see the rosters? Well my team has every players listed twice. And the second time all their names are listed they have hockey positions. Did you know Lebron played LW (left wing) or that Maurice Williams played G (goalie).

WOW!

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
CB3 said:
this game blows.

Michael Redd is on the Trade block

Shawn Marion + others for Redd + others?

Looking to get rid of one of my point guards and receive another big man

Smokey

Truelize said:
Oh my gosh!! I'm just playing with the trades and looking at everyone's teams and you know how it gives you your players on the left in a box and then you can switch teams on the right to see the rosters? Well my team has every players listed twice. And the second time all their names are listed they have hockey positions. Did you know Lebron played LW (left wing) or that Maurice Williams played G (goalie).

WOW!

Yeah...I didn't know what that was all about.

Truelize said:
Well are you making a list or not? I have no clue whose fault it was. Mine? I don' think so. I wasn't the lead commish that season.

I'm saying that's nobody's fault but the people who made those trades. If they weren't happy with the team they put together...who's fault is that?

Way I see it is this is as close to franchise mode as there is in a sports game. If you really want to trade your squad away then you do so but don't be pissed and grumble if the players you got in return have shots that you can't get right, awkward timing on FTs etc. I want it to be like you are the GM for your team and have the ability to make decisions that will get you into the playoffs and beyond. If they backfire on you that's nobody's fault but yours.

I mean A.I. was traded today IRL so what's the problem in leaving trades open in our league? I would think people wouldn't just trade away their superstars 5 games into the season...but okay..if that's what you wanna do with your team that's on you ya know?

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Smokey said:
I'm saying that's nobody's fault but the people who made those trades. If they weren't happy with the team they put together...who's fault is that?

Way I see it is this is as close to franchise mode as there is in a sports game. If you really want to trade your squad away then you do so but don't be pissed and grumble if the players you got in return have shots that you can't get right, awkward timing on FTs etc.

I mean A.I. was traded today IRL so what's the problem in leaving trades open in our league? I would think people wouldn't just trade away their superstars 5 games into the season...but okay..if that's what you wanna do with your team that's on you ya know?

Hey I don't really have a problem with the trades. It was you (or maybe it was Aka) that started the no-trade list. I personally don't want to see a lot of stars getting traded though. I like sim. And I couldn't imagine the Lakers trading Bynum for Joe Johnson. Not in a million years.

CB3

Cerrius said:
Shawn Marion + others for Redd + others?

Looking to get rid of one of my point guards and receive another big man

possibly. ill look into it.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
NICE. Little bit less than two minutes left in the game. I'm down 11 and the game disconnects. As far as I'm concerned that is plenty of time ( I do have Lebron). :D

Oh well.

it gave me the win though :D

and that game was over, 1:23 left and i had the ball boyeeeee!

p.s. sorry to my opponents that i have played for making the rumbling thing during the FT's. i didn't know that was banned in league play. my bad... bros!

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Just in case people have forgotten how the the 2k NBA games work; the A button switches defenders.

I'm just saying.

oh stop your whining. there is no rule that i have to cover the man with the ball all the time. the problem is ill get the man on the ball, but for some reason there is another defender there leaving someone wide open. so i switch to off the ball and then play the possession as i may.

until there is a league rule that says i have to play 100% of the time on the ball ill continue to do it. i played more on the ball than off, but when my AI buddies aren't going to stick to their assignments until the play is set well then too bad, take it up with the commish!

Smokey said:
You've got to play it some more. I felt the same way honestly...until I went to practice mode and used the tutorials until I got a feel for 2K9. It can't be played like 2K8.

I have no desire to try and relearn the game for one main fact, that being I can't play online games independently against sim oriented ballers to practice on my own. How you managed to get through as many ranked games as you have is a testament to your incredible patience level.

Like 2Pac used to say, "I ain't got time for bitches gotta keep my mind on my......riches"

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
FrenchMovieTheme said:
oh stop your whining. there is no rule that i have to cover the man with the ball all the time. the problem is ill get the man on the ball, but for some reason there is another defender there leaving someone wide open. so i switch to off the ball and then play the possession as i may.

until there is a league rule that says i have to play 100% of the time on the ball ill continue to do it. i played more on the ball than off, but when my AI buddies aren't going to stick to their assignments until the play is set well then too bad, take it up with the commish!

:lol

I love how defensive you got. I wasn't even just talking about you.
Priceless. You guarded me plenty. I would say you switched to guard the ball 75% of the time or more. Which is fine by me.

It was worth making the point just to see you get all upset though. Get back to me after you've played everyone in the league and tell me if you think I should be making a comment about people making an attempt to guard the ball. You'll see.

And you didn't beat me because of your defense, well it was defense but I was making some horrible passes. Wow.
I made a ton of errors offensively but not many had anything to do with how you were defending me. I just played bad. You had the lead because you took advantage of mismatches. Dirk wound up so open sometimes cause my PFs wouldn't leave the paint. I couldn't figure out how to set the defense to tight (from the on court controls). That might have helped me but you didn't miss much with him, and you killed me on the boards. But if you look at stats you had 15 more shot attempts than me. That doesn't help much. I played way too slow.

Wasn't a bad game. Good game, decent flow. I just played poorly. I was bad enough that when something good happened I was kinda shocked. It was the second time I've played the game since the week it came out though.

Look forward to meeting you again.

FrenchMovieTheme said:
btw truelize, straight from the horses mouth:
i retract my apology!

Oh dang!! My bad. I'll never do it though. Free throws are hard enough online. If you can make em against me then have them.

And I know my rep. But chill out a bit man. Not everything I say is an attack. I'm no where near good enough at this game to accuse someone of doing anything cheesy to get a win. No where.

ecnal

Shawnwhann said:
I have no desire to try and relearn the game for one main fact, that being I can't play online games independently against sim oriented ballers to practice on my own. How you managed to get through as many ranked games as you have is a testament to your incredible patience level.

Like 2Pac used to say, "I ain't got time for bitches gotta keep my mind on my......riches"

just curious, not trying to be critical, why did you trade bynum?

and what's the reasoning behind your lineups/rotations?

i'm seriously not trying to be a dick--i'm curious what you're trying to achieve with the lakers (something that would have to be better than the as-is lakers)

i only get defensive because you have brought it up with me before during nba 2k7 and 2k8, and now you bring it up immediately after you play me so i didnt mean to jump on you. no harm no foul if it wasn't direct towards me. just wanted to make the point that i try to play man as much as possible

also i had no business being in that game. i dont know wtf your big men were doing but i got some easy boards when my guys were out of position and got some put backs.

i still have no clues how people are drawing fouls. i go to the bucket on fast breaks and get contact, no call. get hacked from behind on a layup, no call. post game with a help defender coming over and bumping, no call. i shot freaking 1 FT this past game i believe!

ecnal said:
just curious, not trying to be critical, why did you trade bynum?

and what's the reasoning behind your lineups/rotations?

i'm seriously not trying to be a dick--i'm curious what you're trying to achieve with the lakers (something that would have to be better than the as-is lakers)

More versatility and offensive options.

I loved my lineups at the time of the trade...

Starting lineup: Farmar, Johnson, Kobe, Vlade, Gasol
Bench Mob: Fisher, Sasha, Ariza, Odom, Mihm

I was looking to run a more uptempo type of offense with guys that can make jumpshots from 1-5. Gasol would serve as my main post offense on the first team and Odom would serve as the main post offense on the second squad. With both squads there are a glut of perimeter sharpshooters.

I traditionally value skilled perimeter players over bigs in the middle in this franchise, yet this years version plays so differently that I haven't been able to run the offense I envisioned when I made the trade. In addition, the game doesn't save lineups and rotations which has essentially kill my plans of my dream lineups. I don't do manual subs, so I just deal with it...

Needless to say, I wouldn't have made the trade had I known about the bugs with lineups and, I wouldn't have kept the game had I had a chance to play the game for longer than a week. My system tanking was the reason I didn't get that chance and now I'm stuck between being committed to the group and playing a game vastly buggier and inferior to its competition.

ecnal

i see--i'm confused how that lineup (especially the 2nd unit) isn't proving to be successful for you.

i didn't realize the game didn't save rotations and starting lineups. my starting lineup/rotations are the same every time (i set my starting lineup and minutes for each player once, and the auto-rotations have stayed true to those minute settings)

ecnal said:
i see--i'm confused how that lineup (especially the 2nd unit) isn't proving to be successful for you.

i didn't realize the game didn't save rotations and starting lineups. my starting lineup/rotations are the same every time (i set my starting lineup and minutes for each player once, and the auto-rotations have stayed true to those minute settings)

If you know someone that has the game (and likes it!) and is dying to join a good league with a kiiler team, feel free to introduce him to the group and this thread.

FrenchMovieTheme said:
i still have no clues how people are drawing fouls. i go to the bucket on fast breaks and get contact, no call. get hacked from behind on a layup, no call. post game with a help defender coming over and bumping, no call. i shot freaking 1 FT this past game i believe!

Well, you are the Mavericks.

nba_wade_580.jpg

:D

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
FrenchMovieTheme said:
also i had no business being in that game. i dont know wtf your big men were doing but i got some easy boards when my guys were out of position and got some put backs.

I have no clue how you were in that game either. Even after a sleep I'm still stunned. There were so many times when both of my big men would jump to block the same shot and leave someone else wide open under the hoop for an easy putback.
Only easy buckets I got were in the second quarter when I was fastbreaking. Oh well. Hopefully I'll get a feel for this game again and I'll be more prepared for Dirk next time.

Mrbob said:
Damn..I let one slip away! I couldn't hit a shot to save my life the final 3 minutes of the game.

GG pheeniks.

GG. I've had to deal with two stressful come-from-behind overtime games now. I was going to punch the TV if Nash kept sucking, and I felt like you got every freaking loose ball...

If you don't mind my saying you should play your subs more. Cause apparently being fatigued means you airball everything :lol

Top Bottom