• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official NBA2K9 GAF Season...6(?) Thread!

Smokey

Got a simple question that requires a simple answer...

Those who played in the league last year, where was the hate for the Celtics. They had a "big 3" and were just as loaded as the Rockets. I rolled w/ the Magic and played just fine with them but I wasn't complaining about the Celtics or Lakers...just rolled with the flow. And I think I did just fine w/ the Magic...

So now I got a chance to play w/ my hometown team for the first time in 3 seasons because Matrix had em, and then the hatorade starts flowin' in.

I'm not invincible, neither are the Rockets. Ask Cerrius he freakin' took me to overtime and I had to win w/ a buzzer shot. My last few regular season games have been close until the 4th quarter until I managed to pull away.

And then the trade. Oh the trade of doom. Yeah on paper it sounds like a stupid ass trade but in reality daw has won 2 games in a row since that trade and was averaging 14.4 pts w/ A.I. and was saying the entire season he wanted to get rid of him. I offer a marksman 3pt shooter and a solid SF to make up for A.I...he wins 2 in a row..yet I still hear "it's not fair blah blah blah". Somebody could've got to A.I. before I did...but did anybody? No.

Those who have played in this league for the past 3 seasons, which is when I joined... may remember that I made key trades in each in every season that I've been here to win 2 GAF championships and to get to the Finals last season. This season is no different but oh because I have the Rockets I shouldn't do anything cuz the Rockets suck etc. etc.

Try and make things more interesting by letting people be the GM of their own teams and all I pretty much hear is dboy you suck balls it's not fair etc. etc.

/rant

sorry just irritating me

not aimed at anybody i just would like to know

thanks!

DCX said:
Spoken like a true Rockets fan. Anyways, you know what needs to be done.

DCX

maybe.

Smokey

FrenchMovieTheme said:
lulz smokey you think you're going to roll with the team you have and not get some hate? :lol

i'll take your squad AND the hate if you can't handle it :D

Hey there were haters before I made the trade, I just wanna know why really..

and even if i didn't want the rockets any more, the LAST team I'd take is the sorry Spurs or disgusting Mavericks.

ecnal

it's easy to hate the best :p

i know you weren't pointing fingers at anyone specific, but i just want to clarify that i only thought it was funny that AI, traded, and brent barry were all in the same sentence :lol

if you can pull off moves like that, more power to you. just shows that anyone else could/can pull big trades.

now, SPURS/SIXERS, WHERE ARE YOU?

DCX

DCX
Smokey said:

and even if i didn't want the rockets any more, the LAST team I'd take is the sorry Spurs or disgusting Mavericks.
the haters exsist becuase you are just to good that you MUST be cheezing somehow or Gamesharked it. Ask FMT. I know the difference between cheez and just superior play. You fall under that later. Now Aka...:lol i kid, or do i?

DCX

Mrbob

Smokey you are now the patriots of the NBA league, a marked man! You are the hoodie, the man pulling the strings! Now you have a target on your back! :D

I don't know enough about NBA ball to care either way though! I just want week 3 to start to see if I can get a couple more wins!

anachronous_one

Prologue Type S Alpha
Trailblazers
Clippers
@Nets

I'm the Pistons. Any of you guys ALIVE? Haven't seen any of you guys on at the same time I am in the last few days. Sending XBL Friend requests...

EDIT: Smokey, how long until this round ends? I can't seem to get ahold of these 3. :D

Smokey

ecnal said:
it's easy to hate the best :p

i know you weren't pointing fingers at anyone specific, but i just want to clarify that i only thought it was funny that AI, traded, and brent barry were all in the same sentence :lol

if you can pull off moves like that, more power to you. just shows that anyone else could/can pull big trades.

now, SPURS/SIXERS, WHERE ARE YOU?

I think the Sixers owner is out hasn't responded to my PMs...since like last week.

And whoever I was playing against the yesterday (daw and cerrius) it was my connection that was making the game stutter. I'm supposed to get around 6-8Mb DL and 700k UL. Well hell, when I did a speed test I was getting 0.8Mb DL and some shitty upload:lol

Guy came out, replaced the box. Said it was in terrible shape so he installed a new one, and now I'm blazing along at 6.5Mb/s DL and 800 kb/s UL to a New York test server so all is well w/ the world again:D

anachronous_one said:
Trailblazers
Clippers
@Nets

I'm the Pistons. Any of you guys ALIVE? Haven't seen any of you guys on at the same time I am in the last few days. Sending XBL Friend requests...

EDIT: Smokey, how long until this round ends? I can't seem to get ahold of these 3. :D

Week advances Friday at 11pm central. I dunno where Blazers owner is. Cloudy is usually around on GAF so keep trying PMs and XBL. Same w/ Clippers owner.

DiddyBop

anachronous_one said:
Trailblazers
Clippers
@Nets

jus sent me pm if you ever need me. anyways,want to play tmw night? or tonight? clippers owner btw

Smokey

Mrbob said:
If the Sixers owner (Ramirez) has quit, reverse my week 1 loss to him to a win! :p

i can't.

i can't even assign wins to people, I have to select the 'randomly assign win' column.

they nerfed my admin powers!

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Smokey said:

Why do you think it's hate when people comment on how ridiculous your team is? I've made several comments about playing against the Rockets and how insane their defensive strength is and you've replied with "don't hate". It's not hate. It's truth. They are a very hard team to play against. Period.
The fact that the best (everyone has their opinion) player in the league also has the best team will generate some frustration like MrBob said.
Now when you get one of the top 5 scorers in the game without giving up a player that would equal that ability it's.... well it's odd.
Regardless of how well the other team is doing now, you did get a hall of fame player without giving something similar.

I'm amazed that you would feel that you wanted to do that trade. I think with your ability you are on a bit of a pedestal and therefore are judged differently. It's kinda like a situation where the rest of us wonder "how am I gonna beat him"? And you go out and get better? You didn't need to get better man. You just didn't.

The trade wont kill the league. But when we say we are going to play a sim league that should go with trades too. I think it's unlikely that any general manager would have given Iverson for that package (without considering contracts).
Superstar for Superstar is what I would hope for.

I didn't lose sleep over it. I just thought it odd that you did it. Didn't seem like it fit your personality at all. That's all.

DCX

DCX
Truelize said:
Why do you think it's hate when people comment on how ridiculous your team is? I've made several comments about playing against the Rockets and how insane their defensive strength is and you've replied with "don't hate". It's not hate. It's truth. They are a very hard team to play against. Period.
The fact that the best (everyone has their opinion) player in the league also has the best team will generate some frustration like MrBob said.
Now when you get one of the top 5 scorers in the game without giving up a player that would equal that ability it's.... well it's odd.
Regardless of how well the other team is doing now, you did get a hall of fame player without giving something similar.

I'm amazed that you would feel that you wanted to do that trade. I think with your ability you are on a bit of a pedestal and therefore are judged differently. It's kinda like a situation where the rest of us wonder "how am I gonna beat him"? And you go out and get better? You didn't need to get better man. You just didn't.

The trade wont kill the league. But when we say we are going to play a sim league that should go with trades too. I think it's unlikely that any general manager would have given Iverson for that package (without considering contracts).

I didn't lose sleep over it. I just thought it odd that you did it. Didn't seem like it fit your personality at all. That's all.
With that said, it's not Smokey's fault. I'd take Lebron for Malik Rose if you gave him to me, are you kidding? Plus consider this. Barry is this year's Jaxx, or Brewer. No way in real life would they be stars, but in 2K they are, more so when the so called superstars or even stars ( Crawford, Redd, etc ) play shitty due to crappy sig shots.

Does it suck? Yeah, i wanted him to trade Iverson to me lol but hey Barry hit 7 3s on me and every time i said the same thing, Barry hits seven 3s and Q cant hit wide open 3s in the corner off a zone and Crawford misses wide open clutch jumpers to extend a lead :/

DCX

DiddyBop

didnt know what allt he fuss was about then i checked the league page and saw the trade...wtf? shame on you smokey:lol

but really its whatever, we can jus revamp some rules and have a committee for decision making next season so everyone gets a say in how the league is ran.

if it makes anyone feel better iverson imo is one of the worst 90s rating player to use in 2k.

I say we drop this issue. It was daw's decision to trade and I gotta respect that

besides, don't blow up the trade so much. smokey sure kicked my ass but he's not unbeatable. i didn't even feel like seeing iverson made me think 'OMG I'M FUCKED' cause more shots for iverson means less shots for Yao, and i will take that anyday.

Smokey

Truelize said:

When I tell you 'don't hate' I'm mostly messing with you whenever I talk to you on AIM. Actually my response to the defense of the Rockets was...they were the #2 D in the league behind the Celtics last season so it only makes sense that they are good @ D in 2K9. I don't have any control over that, it is what it is.

Celtics had amazing D last season and Lakers had their players, but I didn't hear any complaining about them.

I appreciate the notion that you consider me one of the better players, but I disagree with I didn't need to get any better. My first year playing in the league I made a nice trade w/ Matrix that enabled me to win. Then the following year I made some smaller key trades that improved my team and was able to win.

I had the MAGIC...and was able to make some decent trades so it's not like other people with not so great teams or w/e can't make any moves. I was able to, and so can everybody else.

Also...look at the standings. Cerrius is in my conference and is 9-1, one game behind me. He made a nice trade receiving Odom and Vujacic and others from the Lakers and so what am I supposed to do...just stand pat just because I have the Rockets? After Cerrius, FMT is 8-2. I have a 1 or 2 over these two guys so of course I'm going to try and make my team better...I want to win.

It'd be different if I was a cheesy player then hell yeah the team I have would be impossible to beat in a cheeser's hand. But I'm not. I use my guys like they should. I'm not unbeatable. This situation is comparable to the one Shawn was in 2 seasons ago, when he had the Lakers and they just received Gasol and he was unbeatable. He was like 17-0 when I played him and I was able to beat him even with the Magic. That's not saying Shawn is trash or anything because he obviously is not, but my point being nobody is unbeatable.

AkaBalla

Odom and Sasha arent players like AI..

Whatever you stacked a team because you had alot of tradebale pieces.. If you had the Thunder would that happen? Ahh no..

Smokey

AkaBalla said:
Odom and Sasha arent players like AI..

Whatever you stacked a team because you had alot of tradebale pieces.. If you had the Thunder would that happen? Ahh no..

trade durant who is what 6'10 for some solid players and go from there..

so yes..it would if they were in my hands.

It's not about the players.

He has Odom, Vujacic, JJ, WADE, Beasley, and other parts that as a WHOLE make his team better than before with that trade.

So just because I have the 'Rockets' I'm not allowed to do the same..? Dude is only 1 game behind me in my conference.

AkaBalla

Smokey said:
trade durant who is what 6'10 for some solid players and go from there..

so yes..it would if they were in my hands.

It's not about the players.

He has Odom, Vujacic, JJ, WADE, Beasley, and other parts that as a WHOLE make his team better than before with that trade.

So just because I have the 'Rockets' I'm not allowed to do the same..? Dude is only 1 game behind me in my conference.

So trading Durant will give u 3 superstars involving more deals? Uh huh..

All i'm saying is that i have a dream team on paper.. Only due to the fact i had all this talent on my team..

I never said anything about ur deals, only thing i said is how u ended up with this team.. Due to having talent.. Defend ur case against the others who arent happy with your trades.. I never stated that..

how about a fairness doctrine?
if a good player has a stacked team, (i.e., smokey with houston or cerrius with the heat) have them trade one good player to a less unfortunate team?

or

good players aren't allowed to have stacked teams.

...only because its causing so much raucus here.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
anyone who is truley complaining because smokey made a deal that went highly in his favor is an idiot. so what if he already had a good team. he made it better without giving up much. thats good business on his part.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
I'll be installing 2k9 to my hard drive tomorrow.

I think playing 2k8 so much destroyed my last 360's disc drive :lol

i never had a problem with the trade even though i razzed dave and smokey about it. i dont give a shit who is running on his squad, i plan on beating him.

make your time smokey....

daw840

I really don't care what anyone thinks of the trade. The fact of the matter is I play better with Barry, that's it. I scored 32 points with him in my 2nd game after the trade. I never got that much with Iverson.

CzarTim

czartim said:
I want a basketball game, should I get this or NCAA?

Edit: This may help: will you guys be doing another season after this, or not? If so I'll get 2k9, if not I'm more familiar with college hoops.

FYI, I'm stupid and chose NCAA. Even with the lack of any sort of online league. The game freezes before the first half of every game. Completely unplayable.

Sorry for going OT, just wanted to vent. :lol

Smokey

czartim said:
FYI, I'm stupid and chose NCAA. Even with the lack of any sort of online league. The game freezes before the first half of every game. Completely unplayable.

Sorry for going OT, just wanted to vent. :lol

The 2k thread is the right place to do it!:lol

but it's not so funny this year as 2k has some problems too :/

anachronous_one

Prologue Type S Alpha
DiddyBop said:
jus sent me pm if you ever need me. anyways,want to play tmw night? or tonight? clippers owner btw
Yo, gg last night, man. Like I said in the Live message to you, you're a really good player --- but Eric Gordon is an overrated BEAST. :lol Freaking two handed drop-step dunks in the paint over Big Ben, 'Sheed and co.? He killed me off your bench.

All these close games
that I tend to lose
are killing my heart! :)

Smokey

anachronous_one said:
Yo, gg last night, man. Like I said in the Live message to you, you're a really good player --- but Eric Gordon is an overrated BEAST. :lol Freaking two handed drop-step dunks in the paint over Big Ben, 'Sheed and co.? He killed me off your bench.

All these close games
that I tend to lose
are killing my heart! :)

QFT

QFT

QFT

yeah eric gordon gave me a hard time when i played the clipps too. i dont even know who that guy is! diddy kept cutting the lead to 3 or 4 and i'd boost it back up. thank you stack!

BigAT

Hunter D, are you going to be around tonight to get our game in by any chance? You're the last one I have for this round.

Smokey

AirBrian said:
Anyone up for our game tonight?

Cleveland Cavaliers
Portland Blazers
Los Angeles Clippers

PM him..he's usually quick to respond.

Also:

sexay

ecnal

installed 2K9 on my hdd--can't really notice any difference in load times. 360 is much quieter now though :)

anyone want to scrimmage?

Hunter D

DCX said:
Hunter split, i'm out.

DCX
No. Don't. Can't get 2k to load. I think the update killed my system. Can't get any games to boot up.

This is my second xbox and I think I'm done with them if this one is broke since I bought it a month ago.

OK. Games only seem to work when I'm not connected to live. Fucking bullshit update.

Top Bottom