• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official NBA2K9 GAF Season...6(?) Thread!

Smokey

pheeniks said:
most people in here post pretty often and play 2k9 pretty often. i've actually been really pleased with how well the league has run

except that there is one guy
Konex
that never posts here

If you PM he will respond to you pretty quickly to set something up. He just doesn't post here often.

going to be a lot of coin tosses come tuesday my friends!

sure looks like it. i'm usually always able to get my games in early and still have days left over before it's time to advance. it's really not that hard. you have 10 days. play 1 game every other day or however you want to do it and be done w/ it.

if you pm me and let me know what's up like airbrian and daw have then that's cool. shit comes up that needs to be taken care of that obviously is more important than a video game. but not saying anything and then having to sim a billion games is lame.

/end soapbox

anyway next week is last week of regular season and then it's time to get down and dirty in the playoffs... so i'm focused on arriving at my 4th GAF Finals and winning my 3rd GAF NBA2K championship in 4 seasons. May have noticed how I haven't been scrimmaging nearly as much as I have before. It's because it's almost that time. Who's gonna step up and make sure that doesn't happen?! Can youuuuuuuuuuuuu dig it?!?!

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
viakado said:
denog, you around?
edit: daw, i'll be home around 5:30 pm PST tomorrow.

You ready? I mean, I am posting that I can play. You should be ready, right, since obviously some expect some of us who are mega busy to be ready at a moment's notice.

ecnal

BigAT said:
Sorry, I ended up going out last night. Are you going to be around today at all? I'm available to play any time before the Giants game tonight.

i wont be able to play till later tonight.

like 8pm PST and later...

Smokey

Denog while you did defeat Cerrius 106-105, it came on having 68 TOTAL PIP, and after your 2nd chance points were deducted (8) that brought you down to 60. The limit is (50) so I'm going to have to reverse the game and give the win to Cerrius.

DenogginizerOS

Smokey said:
Denog while you did defeat Cerrius 106-105, it came on having 68 TOTAL PIP, and after your 2nd chance points were deducted (8) that brought you down to 60. The limit is (50) so I'm going to have to reverse the game and give the win to Cerrius.
So, I am supposed to ignore wide open layups? I have the fucking Bobcats and you are going to penalize me for that. Resignation submitted. Bye boys.

DiddyBop

every team in 2k9 are capable of hitting midrange/3 point shots,bobcats or not. dont give up just because of that. maybe cerrius will agree to a rematch?

DenogginizerOS

DiddyBop said:
every team in 2k9 are capable of hitting midrange/3 point shots,bobcats or not. dont give up just because of that. maybe cerrius will agree to a rematch?
That game was every bit of what I would consider a normal game. I get punished because he leaves the paint open? Sorry, but taking that win away is BS. But hey, I am out of the league now. It isn't like the Boobs were a threat.

By the way, I suggest you change the rule to percentage of total points rather than total PIP. I scored 106 points, 60 in the paint. That is 56%. That is not unusual for a B-Ball game at all.

i'm sorry, you're a good guy, but bolting the league like that is a pussy move. at least try and reach a resolution first

DenogginizerOS said:
By the way, I suggest you change the rule to percentage of total points rather than total PIP. I scored 106 points, 60 in the paint. That is 56%. That is not unusual for a B-Ball game at all.

but i do agree with this

DenogginizerOS

pheeniks said:
i'm sorry, you're a good guy, but bolting the league like that is a pussy move. at least try and reach a resolution first

The pussy move is taking the game away from me without even discussing it. Cerrius was whining about my pressuring his point guard in the first half. I had to come back from 10+ points down in the 4th. I fought hard for that. So, considering the hellish week I just had and I took 3 hours of my Sunday and spent it playing these games and I see this, I know when I don't want to waste my time.

And you want to penalize a team like mine that came into this without some of the special trades or 0-15 and I join up to give you some live players to play, and this is the thanks I get, and you wonder why I person wouldn't want to waste anymore time? No thanks.

DiddyBop

true,if the lane was wide open,then ok,but if you are taking a player and grinding your way into the post then thats not ok. 2k needs an observer mode or like a replay mode where games are stored for a day for league admins to review them or something.

DenogginizerOS

DiddyBop said:
true,if the lane was wide open,then ok,but if you are taking a player and grinding your way into the post then thats not ok. 2k needs an observer mode or like a replay mode where games are stored for a day for league admins to review them or something.
That is the point. I was NOT grinding. I worked hard. Most of my points were a result of him playing me too tight on the perimeter, I get past him, and score. I see a lot of people jacking up the pressure that the players play on one another in the coaching options. If you are going to press people defensively in a half-court set, be prepared to give up points in the paint when people drive past you.

i can't argue with you denog. i'm on your side here to be honest...but the rules are the rules. we have to stick by them or else things get messy

i think we can discuss giving you the game back. its not like we dont like your presence

Smokey

DenogginizerOS said:
That game was every bit of what I would consider a normal game. I get punished because he leaves the paint open? Sorry, but taking that win away is BS. But hey, I am out of the league now. It isn't like the Boobs were a threat.

this has been talked about before and i already said nothing is going to change this season. next season there will probably be a few rule changes. 5/6 weeks have already been played and the rules have been established and I am not going to change something as drastic as that when the season is almost over.

In my game against the Nets I scored 101 points in that game and had 42 PIP and that's before 2nd chance was taken away. It is not impossible to do. I've said it over and over there is a mid range game in 2K9. Whether you decide to use it or not is up to you not me, but it is there.

if you want to bail on the league that's your choice. you are not the first one this has happened to this season, but if you really want to be out then okay.

DenogginizerOS

Smokey said:
this has been talked about before and i already said nothing is going to change this season. next season there will probably be a few rule changes. 5/6 weeks have already been played and the rules have been established and I am not going to change something as drastic as that when the season is almost over.

In my game against the Nets I scored 101 points in that game and had 42 PIP and that's before 2nd chance was taken away. It is not impossible to do. I've said it over and over there is a mid range game in 2K9. Whether you decide to use it or not is up to you not me, but it is there.

if you want to bail on the league that's your choice. you are not the first one this has happened to this season, but if you really want to be out then okay.
What would you have me do? If I were exploiting a cheat, then I would say you have every right. But I wasn't. I honestly had no idea how many points I had. I knew I was getting murdered early in the 4th when I could not stop Wade from either driving and shooting or driving and dishing. And also, I think a lot of my points came from animations that take over. If I have someone beat on the baseline and I hit shoot before they get the paint and then they score, how I am I supposed to correct this? AM I supposed to pause, look at the points, see I have scored too much and let him win? I see no other way that I could have won that game. I don't need to spend an afternoon of my time and have it end like this. Not worth the agita. So, thanks, but no thanks.

Smokey

DenogginizerOS said:
What would you have me do? If I were exploiting a cheat, then I would say you have every right. But I wasn't. I honestly had no idea how many points I had. I knew I was getting murdered early in the 4th when I could not stop Wade from either driving and shooting or driving and dishing. And also, I think a lot of my points came from animations that take over. If I have someone beat on the baseline and I hit shoot before they get the paint and then they score, how I am I supposed to correct this? AM I supposed to pause, look at the points, see I have scored too much and let him win? I see no other way that I could have won that game. I don't need to spend an afternoon of my time and have it end like this. Not worth the agita. So, thanks, but no thanks.

And even if the PIP was dynamic and set to be 50% of your total points instead of a static 50, you still would have been over the mark...

there is no spectator mode in the game so really the only people who know what happened in their game is the two people that are playing. All I have to go by is the end box score and stats. Whether he did this or he did that or any other bickering that happened is out of my hands and between you two, but I can look at the box score.

Cerrius took a picture of the stats screen in game to show me how many 2nd chance points you had relative to your total points in the paint. As I've said you are not the first person that went over the PIP limit, so what do you want me to do? Let you keep the win even though you went over the limit, whereas the other guy earlier in the season had to take a loss?

but doesn't matter what i say sounds like you've got your mind made up. thanks for joining for the last few weeks. if you want to play next season if/when some rules are changed you are welcome to.

I suggest we ask Cerrius for his opinion and then maybe have a league vote on the situation. Drama sucks.

its up to smokey. i'm not doing any backseat commissioning here!

DenogginizerOS

Smokey said:
there is no spectator mode in the game so really the only people who know what happened in their game is the two people that are playing. All I have to go by is the end box score and stats. Whether he did this or he did that or any other bickering that happened is out of my hands and between you two, but I can look at the box score.

Cerrius took a picture of the stats screen in game to show me how many 2nd chance points you had relative to your total points in the paint. As I've said you are not the first person that went over the PIP limit, so what do you want me to do? Let you keep the win even though you went over the limit, whereas the other guy earlier in the season had to take a loss?

but doesn't matter what i say sounds like you've got your mind made up. thanks for joining for the last few weeks. if you want to play next season if/when some rules are changed you are welcome to.
It is a flawed rule. I can't think of anything more distracting than have someone pausing the game periodically to check their PIP and then adjusting. I have played nothing but cheesers online who shoot threes and snag rebounds to win. Again, I will point out that Cerrius was complaining about my point guard pressuring him, He claimed I was using Full-court press (which I wasn't). But when I beat him at the buzzer, the only thing I heard from him was GG. Again, without a readout on the screen that says how many PIPs I have, I fail to see how someone who is playing a team that sets the team pressure to tight should ignore wide open looks to the basket. It seemed those points opened up more in the second half.

daw840

Nuggets owner here. I can play now if anyone is around, but my window is kind of tight. I am at a friends house so post here and I will check in about 10 minutes.

Daw if you lose this game and want a rematch, thats fine. The Lag is coming from my side. Parents are youtubing and I dont dare tell them to get off while I play a game, and they pay the bill >.>

AkaBalla

pheeniks said:
I suggest we ask Cerrius for his opinion and then maybe have a league vote on the situation. Drama sucks.

its up to smokey. i'm not doing any backseat commissioning here!

Umm didnt u read Smokey's post? Cerrius provided Smokey a picture.. So that tells you he expected the win..

Unless he is a photographer in real life and likes to take pictures and send them to league admins..:lol

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
DenogginizerOS said:
It is a flawed rule. I can't think of anything more distracting than have someone pausing the game periodically to check their PIP and then adjusting. I have played nothing but cheesers online who shoot threes and snag rebounds to win. Again, I will point out that Cerrius was complaining about my point guard pressuring him, He claimed I was using Full-court press (which I wasn't). But when I beat him at the buzzer, the only thing I heard from him was GG. Again, without a readout on the screen that says how many PIPs I have, I fail to see how someone who is playing a team that sets the team pressure to tight should ignore wide open looks to the basket. It seemed those points opened up more in the second half.

I think the tough part with how Cerrius plays defense is that he sometimes sets pressure to tight and then usually only controls his pg. So if you are beating his computer controlled players because of how he has it set then I can see your frustration.
But..... I missed the playoffs by one game last year because I scored 58 PIP in a game where I felt the exact same thing as you do today. I didn't force it inside. I pump faked, he took his defense out of position and I took the WIDE OPEN layup. But at the end of the game I saw my stats and offered him the choice to take the win because I broke the rule. Yeah, I brought it up, he never even noticed that I had broken the rule.

So you can bolt if you want or you can keep playing the season out like the rest of us are going to regardless of our records.

Smokey

Cerrius is banned btw for a month for calling the wii a toy:lol

so if you need to play him you'll have to contact him through xbl.

DiddyBop

PHILLY and SPURS

get at me before tuesday so we can play

and why is it still ok for ppl not to play on ball D? i think its a much bigger issue if you let the computer do all the work and some ppl play like that,rules really need to be tightened for next season.

the on-ball rule is going to be really hard to enforce. sometimes i don't do on-ball D if i can anticipate what's happening so i can get a steal, cause otherwise i would never do anything disruptive on defense.

also, i'm glad i never post in the gaming forum

well if you play zone you can't play "on the ball D" all the time, mainly due to the fact that the AI doesn't play proper zones all the times so you have to keep your zone

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
FrenchMovieTheme said:
well if you play zone you can't play "on the ball D" all the time, mainly due to the fact that the AI doesn't play proper zones all the times so you have to keep your zone

yeah but playing a zone and then not ever switching defenders is the laziest/cheapest way to play defense possible.

I would love to enforce that people actually defend the ball themselves because then it is actually human vs human. But lately in my games I'm only playing against a human controlled defender occasionally. I've ever noticed a nice cheap little trick that people do now. I won a game by matching my opponent with the trick. I hated doing it but I guess you've got to even the playing field out however you can.

the problem with playing the ball everytime comes in when you play someone who is just using isomotion or using a star player. all someone does is some herky jerky move, loses you as the defender, and then just drives to the hole for an easy play. so if you're going to enforce this "guard the ball every play", then you should also enforce the cheapness that is doing some ridiculous move to lose the defender and just driving right to the hole.

Mrbob

FrenchMovieTheme said:
the problem with playing the ball everytime comes in when you play someone who is just using isomotion or using a star player. all someone does is some herky jerky move, loses you as the defender, and then just drives to the hole for an easy play. so if you're going to enforce this "guard the ball every play", then you should also enforce the cheapness that is doing some ridiculous move to lose the defender and just driving right to the hole.

I agree with you on this. ISO is too abusable.

I'm glad the pick and roll isn't a money play. It's my team's strength but you can actually defend it.

I actually had a question for you guys. In my experience I've found that Stoudemire is always quicker than any big that guards him, and can therefore blow by just about any big stiff. Now it's not like I'll do this every play, but no one will object to Stoudemire blowing by their big stiff and dunking right? I don't even need to use any isomotion with him

Smokey

pheeniks said:
I'm glad the pick and roll isn't a money play. It's my team's strength but you can actually defend it.

I actually had a question for you guys. In my experience I've found that Stoudemire is always quicker than any big that guards him, and can therefore blow by just about any big stiff. Now it's not like I'll do this every play, but no one will object to Stoudemire blowing by their big stiff and dunking right? I don't even need to use any isomotion with him

if that's one of your players strengths...then why not use it to your advantage?

just like Yao's strength is his ability to make jump shots and...he's 7'6 so of course I use him. TMAC's strength (in the game at least) is the height he gets on his jumpshot and his athleticism. Very few players can block his shot and I use that to my advantage all the time in the mid-range game. It is my belief that it's your job to stop me not my job to make it any easier for you.

You are trying to win aren't you?

What do I always do when we scrimmage? I make you shoot jumpshots with him. I take control of my big and back off of him and dare you to shoot it with him. I know he can hit, but the probability is much lower than him getting to the rim and dunking the ball.

Alot of what you guys are saying can be contained if you think about it. ISO can be abused, but then why would you lock on to the defender? Why not just play straight up without using the lock on feature to limit the possibility of your defender getting caught in some stupid animation?

There's a lot of little things that you guys often overlook that could really improve your game and give you a better chance to win...

DiddyBop

no one can play on ball d 100% of the time,i dont even do that since there are certain situations where it isnt the best thing to do. and yea,certain superstars are hard to stop with lock on d,especially lebron,kobe,vince,etc. but lower tier guys like a brandon roy or joe johnson can be stopped. i do understand that zone defense doesnt allow for on ball d either.

and stoudamire dunking is just what he does,i dont have any complaints about that.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
i beg to differ. i play 100% on man D. and i usually play it pretty good. its my offense keeping me from wins

DiddyBop said:
but lower tier guys like a brandon roy

You better hope that a certain NBA-GAF member never sees this or else...others will know what I'm talking about :lol :lol

anyways, I want to scrim with someone where I do whatever I want, and I take what I see. As in if I can dunk on 3 straight trips, I will...I just don't want to be accused of abusing a player's power

and stoudemire is the best shooter on my team. kind of sad

Mrbob

Oh and I hope we stay with a hard PiP number for season 2. In theory a percentage sounds better, but in practice I bet it will get more annoying. It already gets a bit annoying when I playing a game and my opponent pauses it in the middle of a 4th quarter battle just to check his points in the point. I don't want someone pausing the game in the 4th quarter on me all the time to see what percentage he needs to keep.

DiddyBop

Mrbob said:
Oh and I hope we stay with a hard PiP number for season 2. In theory a percentage sounds better, but in practice I bet it will get more annoying. It already gets a bit annoying when I playing a game and my opponent pauses it in the middle of a 4th quarter battle just to check his points in the point. I don't want someone pausing the game in the 4th quarter on me all the time to see what percentage he needs to keep.
yea a solid number is still the best route.

and i stand by my remark,brandon roy is a lower-tier star:lol

Top Bottom