• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Xbox 360 Madden '12 Online Franchise Thread OT2 Mr Peyton Goes To Washington

McNei1y

I think I'm just gonna spend all my time tomorrow at E3 playing Madden. Fuck everything else.

Do it. I would. Tell us all the details.

I'm still in awe about this. We finally have a working OF! Cut days, off season shenanigans, scouting, etc. Absolutely pumped.

LukeSmith

Do it. I would. Tell us all the details.

I'm still in awe about this. We finally have a working OF! Cut days, off season shenanigans, scouting, etc. Absolutely pumped.

Where were you when we had to enter stats manually? One of my old smart phones had tons of pictures on it of game results so that I could enter my team's results on League Daddy.

You don't even know what it's like!

DMczaf

lieutenant-dan.jpg

BigAT

Bryan Wiedey ‏@pastapadre
Important thing to know with Connected Careers is everything available to solo (offline) players is there for online. True online franchise

jergrah

This all looks great! Been running a full sim-style league on another site since OF started in 10. Everything they are adding are what we've been asking for since it started.

Autopilot, sliders, trading draft picks, practice, real free agency, salary cap, etc. I'm assuming you guys used LM in the past also? While it was a nice addition, it always had problems and many times required more work for the commish.

Our 12 league thread that is still going is pretty much an exact duplicate of this one, with everyone excited about the update.

Ill check back around launch to see if you guys have any slots come open, specifically Miami. Ferny has played in my league in 11 and 12, so could vouch for me/play style.

McNei1y

Where were you when we had to enter stats manually? One of my old smart phones had tons of pictures on it of game results so that I could enter my team's results on League Daddy.

I sure don't and I'm glad I never will!

Mrbob

Haha, damn. GAF is big time. Aisha Tyler just name dropped GAF on a G4 interview. We should get her to join our madden league. Celebrity status!

McNei1y

Haha, damn. GAF is big time. Aisha Tyler just name dropped GAF on a G4 interview. We should get her to join our madden league. Celebrity status!

We would be best GAF instantly. I mean we already have Smokey TV and DCX drama. All we would need is a celebrity.

Rorschach

Chicago?! Fuck that shit!

Shit, that means I have to go buy the game from Gamestop? Fuck!

I printed out so many stat sheets. I literally wrote them down by hand! It was the stone age!

BigAT

Not sure how much I like this setup for the free agency process. It sounds like it is blind bidding as opposed to any sort of transparency.

-The free agency process in Madden NFL 13 Connected Careers is more like NCAA's recruiting than last year's "Ebay style" bidding.
-There are 4 (maybe 5) weeks for initial free agency. Make your offer, advance to next week, see if they accepted or not. Offline and online
-Gives free agency a real challenge now. Especially against other users in online CCs. Come with a strong offer or risk losing them.

The idea of a FA randomly accepting an offer in week 1 according to the game logic makes me worrisome.

Birdman02

Not sure how much I like this setup for the free agency process. It sounds like it is blind bidding as opposed to any sort of transparency.

-The free agency process in Madden NFL 13 Connected Careers is more like NCAA's recruiting than last year's "Ebay style" bidding.
-There are 4 (maybe 5) weeks for initial free agency. Make your offer, advance to next week, see if they accepted or not. Offline and online
-Gives free agency a real challenge now. Especially against other users in online CCs. Come with a strong offer or risk losing them.

The idea of a FA randomly accepting an offer in week 1 according to the game logic makes me worrisome.

I definitely like it better than what we did last year. At least everyone will have an opportunity to make a bid before the week advances. No more sitting and refreshing the page hoping you placed the last bid before the lock.

Sanjuro

Do you guys normally all play in the NCAA? I normally don't like college ball, but there are no games really coming out and Frankman destroyed the MLB league.

Ferny

Ha - I'll take it there are already Fins fans with Miami accounted for

LOL Yeah man Miami is pretty much accounted for between both pheenix and Drizz but I have played with jerg before and he's great so he gets my stamp of approval if we have an open slot, which at this point we may have a full 32 with like 5-6 on a waiting list.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
I refuse to complain about anything. They've gone so far beyond what i expected, that im fine with any minuscule issues along come up

McNei1y

I like it too. But I think it would be even cooler if they used the live tweets to give you ideas of what is being offered to who and teams in the race.

That would definitely help the issue out that AT presents.

A blind chance without an opportunity for the market to work itself out in any real way (potentially).

I just like the idea of being able to play your OWN offer instead of randomly clicking three offers via my league manager. This way, someone who wants that necessary 90 RT can place what they want for him. I agree about the market being a problem since someone's offer could be like 3 years for 9m while the closest one to that is 3 years 5m. But I also say, why not. The guy was willing to put that money for him!

DMczaf

Eh, I have no problem with the FA system. It's the same system as NCAA, and its great there. If you see that a player is pretty much set on a certain team, don't go after him unless you want to risk it.

Somnia

Eh, I have no problem with the FA system. It's the same system as NCAA, and its great there. If you see that a player is pretty much set on a certain team, don't go after him unless you want to risk it.

They said the guys could get HINTS of something happening, so say you put a bid in, fake skip bayless may tweet out he heard that you were offering him a deal, to give everyone a headsup.

Splat

Trip report day 1!

Played a couple games today against random people theres, will try to braindump thoughts. Didn't have time to wait in line for the inside office where I could ask questions about progressions, but will try to tomorrow:

Game 1 Bengals over Raiders in OT, 20-14

Goddamn the new collision system is nice. Many of the same animations from 12, but just adding on the physics system adds a ton to it. One play on 4th and inches, McFadden got hit at the line and basically fell foward, and he sorta rolled over the pile of linemen to gain 2 yards. Game didn't mark him down since he was actually supported by the guys under him, it was really impressive to see. Catching feels a ton improved. Especially on in/out breaking routes, players really seem to attack the ball and then get up field ASAP. Seems like there will be a fair bit more YAC this yea because of that. Geno Atkins was still disengaging off blocks like a champ, but it seemed like the free OL was sliding over with more success to pick him him than last year, though shifts and stuff were tough because it was set up with the dpad audible system I'm not used to.

Game 2 Bengals over Eagles, 45-21

This was supposed to be vs bluemax but he never got back to me on my scheduling pm :( bluemax where did you go?

Tried a bit more previously broken stuff this game. Screens and PA passes both seemed to be less terrible. Had time on PAs and screens set up nice if the playcall was properly timed. Finally saw a couple bugs, one where a guy fell down twice due to physics (just looked weird), and one where the DT ended up engaged against no one, which looked pretty funny. On same-console games you can set different difficulty levels per user, but I have no idea how that works out.

So really, only 2 small issues in 2 full games is awesome. Seriously the game feels amazing, I was hesitant to buy in to first year on the physics implementation after all the crazy glitches you'd see in Fifa12, and maybe they're still in here, but it's awesome. Most stats were hidden but you could see some. Andy Dalton 84 right now! Didn't notice a ton of throw arc different, but wasn't really paying attentions. Trucking in the run game seemed fairly underpowered currently, never really saw any defenders get bowled over at all, or even much falling forward. Playbooks seem much the same with small differences here in there. Some teams have !!WIDE-NINE!! sets out of nickel now, for whatever that's worth.

Ferny

Trip report day 1!

Played a couple games today against random people theres, will try to braindump thoughts. Didn't have time to wait in line for the inside office where I could ask questions about progressions, but will try to tomorrow:

Game 1 Bengals over Raiders in OT, 20-14

Goddamn the new collision system is nice. Many of the same animations from 12, but just adding on the physics system adds a ton to it. One play on 4th and inches, McFadden got hit at the line and basically fell foward, and he sorta rolled over the pile of linemen to gain 2 yards. Game didn't mark him down since he was actually supported by the guys under him, it was really impressive to see. Catching feels a ton improved. Especially on in/out breaking routes, players really seem to attack the ball and then get up field ASAP. Seems like there will be a fair bit more YAC this yea because of that. Geno Atkins was still disengaging off blocks like a champ, but it seemed like the free OL was sliding over with more success to pick him him than last year, though shifts and stuff were tough because it was set up with the dpad audible system I'm not used to.

Game 2 Bengals over Eagles, 45-21

This was supposed to be vs bluemax but he never got back to me on my scheduling pm :( bluemax where did you go?

Tried a bit more previously broken stuff this game. Screens and PA passes both seemed to be less terrible. Had time on PAs and screens set up nice if the playcall was properly timed. Finally saw a couple bugs, one where a guy fell down twice due to physics (just looked weird), and one where the DT ended up engaged against no one, which looked pretty funny. On same-console games you can set different difficulty levels per user, but I have no idea how that works out.

So really, only 2 small issues in 2 full games is awesome. Seriously the game feels amazing, I was hesitant to buy in to first year on the physics implementation after all the crazy glitches you'd see in Fifa12, and maybe they're still in here, but it's awesome. Most stats were hidden but you could see some. Andy Dalton 84 right now! Didn't notice a ton of throw arc different, but wasn't really paying attentions. Trucking in the run game seemed fairly underpowered currently, never really saw any defenders get bowled over at all, or even much falling forward. Playbooks seem much the same with small differences here in there. Some teams have !!WIDE-NINE!! sets out of nickel now, for whatever that's worth.
Sounds so awesome. Did you get any hands on with the whole connected careers system?

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
i guess free agents won't just sign with the highest bidder either, should be interesting.

DMczaf

http://www.operationsports.com/previews/151/madden-nfl-13-connected-careers/

Once you’ve chosen that option, the main screen will pop up in front of you with news from the league and fake Twitter feeds of your favorite analysts like Skip Bayless and Trey Wingo. The news, for example, does a great job of getting the player immersed in the league. It even takes into account what’s actually happening since I saw one slide talking about Drew Brees’ contract talks being stalled.

Also, there is now actual incentive to practice. By practicing, you earn experience points, which in turn grant your player or coach the option to get better. For a player you can increase attributes and for a coach you can increase your persuasive skills to have key free agents sign with your team. You can also practice in specific situations such as the 2-minute drill or even a three-touchdown deficit in the third quarter. And practice isn’t the only way to gain points: each player/coach has a set of goals per game and season that they need to accomplish. You accomplish them, you get points. If you underperform, you get fired/released. Which leads me to the next point.

If you get fired/released, you are not guaranteed a roster spot or a coaching job from another team. You can actually be unwanted by all 32 NFL teams. But if this does happen to you, you don’t have to give up. You can create a new coach and go to a new team in the same “franchise.” If you coached the Seahawks for seven years and your new guy gets hired by St. Louis, then you’ll enjoy pounding on the same Seattle team you controlled for so long. It really helps you stay connected in your very own world of the NFL.

Scouting has also improved a lot. Now you can see actual player ratings before the draft, and there are plenty of busts and gems. For example, I scouted a cornerback that was all over the news and Twitter and ranked No. 4 overall on the big board and he turned out to be garbage. His rating was 71; his speed was 75; his man and zone coverage were both in the 60s. He had bust written all over him. But without scouting him, anyone would have taken him in a heartbeat. Love it.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
If you get fired/released, you are not guaranteed a roster spot or a coaching job from another team. You can actually be unwanted by all 32 NFL teams.

That seems unfair to livewire.

Top Bottom