• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OnePlus 3 official: Snapdragon 820, 6GB of RAM, $399 with no invite necessary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oooh Gaf, mine's arrived and the box is damn classy!

I'll be messing around with it tonight, if anyone has questions feel free to shoot, but I'm no connoisseur.

Oooh Gaf, mine's arrived and the box is damn classy!

I'll be messing around with it tonight, if anyone has questions feel free to shoot, but I'm no connoisseur.

Which carrier will you be using it on? How's the build feels like( is it slippery at all like the iPhone 6 is)? Is the screen pretty bright?

Adam Blue

Finally, they dropped that stupid invite only gimmick.

They kinda had no choice at the time, selling such a device at a low cost they only manufactured based on demand. But that "gimmick", as you say, has worked for the best since now they know they can sell what they manufacture.

The OnePlus One was the best phone I've ever owned. I upgraded for new-feature reasons, but the 3 looks great.

Which carrier will you be using it on? How's the build feels like( is it slippery at all like the iPhone 6 is)? Is the screen pretty bright?

O2 (Well, giffgaff. British thing if you're unaware). It wasnt slippy, which surprised me because a mate of mine had the metal HTC which was slippy, but no, the OP3 was stable. Still put a case on it. Screen was pretty bright as I could tell, looked clean if you know what I mean.

Limit

I like the 6gb part but at this point there is no app I use that can push the hardware.

Firefox on my galaxy s5 crashes any time I visit a page with one too many gifs. 50 post limit too. Perhaps a jump from 2gb to 4gb will suffice but if a 6gb phone is available, why not?

Currently still playing the waitingI game till August though. Galaxy note 7 is supposed to drop then; with the rumor of it too rocking 6gb. If the reviews and hands on impressions are on par with s7 edge then I will get that. Otherwise this be my pick.

O2 (Well, giffgaff. British thing if you're unaware). It wasnt slippy, which surprised me because a mate of mine had the metal HTC which was slippy, but no, the OP3 was stable. Still put a case on it. Screen was pretty bright as I could tell, looked clean if you know what I mean.
Thanks for the impressions! I'm thinking about selling my iPhone and getting this phone. If I do get it I will get one of the cases they sell. I would've loved them to include a 2k screen but I guess 1080p is just fine.

Cromat

I'm debating between this and the Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge. I know it's pretty much half the price but I'm tempted to just spend more to get the very best. I'm upgrading from a Nexus 5 which I had for about 3 years, I usually keep my phones for that long.

I'm debating between this and the Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge. I know it's pretty much half the price but I'm tempted to just spend more to get the very best. I'm upgrading from a Nexus 5 which I had for about 3 years, I usually keep my phones for that long.

Samsung has slightly better hardware, except for 4GB RAM, but the RAM management in OP3's normal OS is really dumb so Samsung also wins here. Samsung also has a better screen, camera and battery.

For software, Samsung has Touchwiz UI which has its share of lovers and haters (seems like more haters, but these phones keep selling so maybe not). OnePlus has the Oxygen OS which is very close to stock Android, with extra menu options added in. It's a matter of taste. CyanogenMod will very likely support both, if you want to install that.

If money is not an issue, go Samsung. The price is the biggest draw for this.

There will likely be hundreds of different flavors of Android available to this, including CyanogenMod which is the most popular custom Android out there. Custom ROMs will take a month or two to update to the newest Android versions though.

"Stock" as it exists on a Nexus will be achieved by building AOSP (someone will likely do that soon) and installing Gapps along with it. The main problem with this is that it won't be easy to update.

CM13 is already out for the OP3.
https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/rom-6-0-1-unofficial-cyanogenmod-13.450156/

spwolf

Samsung has slightly better hardware, except for 4GB RAM, but the RAM management in OP3's normal OS is really dumb so Samsung also wins here. Samsung also has a better screen, camera and battery.

For software, Samsung has Touchwiz UI which has its share of lovers and haters (seems like more haters, but these phones keep selling so maybe not). OnePlus has the Oxygen OS which is very close to stock Android, with extra menu options added in. It's a matter of taste. CyanogenMod will very likely support both, if you want to install that.

If money is not an issue, go Samsung. The price is the biggest draw for this.

did anyone test OP3 with proper memory management settings? By default, they close a lot of apps.

I would also say that OP3 should feel a lot better in hand than S7 or S7 Edge... they feel like plastic even if their backs are from glass, it never really feels premium to me... not like an metal phone or my old Z3.

I want it, but I don't think I could do without an SD card slot. I don't have unlimited streaming and two of the main places I go during the day don't have a wifi I can connect to.

How much stuff do you need to put on there? 😮

Probably 20 gigs of music 5 gigs of video. That and room for image editing. 60 gigs is probably fine, but I'm concerned coming off of my current 16 gig phone that feels like it has nothing on it where I need to save everything to the SD card.

Probably 20 gigs of music 5 gigs of video. That and room for image editing. 60 gigs is probably fine, but I'm concerned coming off of my current 16 gig phone that feels like it has nothing on it where I need to save everything to the SD card.

You do you, but I can't imagine needing constant access to 20 gigs of music. Seems like a non issue, or one easily worked around.

beat

You do you, but I can't imagine needing constant access to 20 gigs of music. Seems like a non issue, or one easily worked around.
I don't have any music on my phone, but I do want the 128 GB iPod touch because I don't have enough room on my 64 GB one. And it's 50+ GB of audio.

I don't have any music on my phone, but I do want the 128 GB iPod touch because I don't have enough room on my 64 GB one. And it's 50+ GB of audio.

Not music, so what is this 50gb of audio? Podcasts and audio books? What's the advantage of having it on your phone? If it's work stuff, isn't it better to have it on a portable hard drive or something?

I guess I don't see my phone as the "hold everything" device that others do (like the old iPods).

Dazzla

Are you guys who've ordered not concerned about the display? The Anandtech review was brutal. The phone was highly regarded everywhere else but he tore the screen to shreds.

m23

I really want to get this phone, but like others have said my oneplus one is still going strong. Maybe next year.

ElNino

Are you guys who've ordered not concerned about the display? The Anandtech review was brutal. The phone was highly regarded everywhere else but he tore the screen to shreds.
I have it, and I don't have any problems with the screen per se, but my other phone is a Lumia 950XL so the OnePlus 3 being "only" 1080p is noticeable but it's not that something is wrong with it.

I haven't read the Anandtech review, and I'm not sure I want to if they are bringing up issues that I'm not seeing.

beat

Not music, so what is this 50gb of audio? Podcasts and audio books? What's the advantage of having it on your phone? If it's work stuff, isn't it better to have it on a portable hard drive or something?

Sorry, confusing wording on my part. The 50 gb of audio is all music, and it's on my iPod. I have an iPod and a phone.

Socreges

Banned
I've had my OPO for 18 months now. Was going strong on Wednesday and I had no interest in upgrading - probably could have kept it going for as long as the battery wanted to. But then it dropped out of my pocket and spent a bit of time in the rain. I found it a bit after, dried it off and considered it good as ever. Continued to use it and then hooked it up to charge overnight....woke up and:

a4xubdg.jpg

Actually burnt my finger pretty bad when I went to grab it. But hey I'm lucky there wasn't an electrical fire when we were asleep

So I bought a OnePlus 3. Arrives next week. Pretty stoked. Absolutely zero need for a phone this powerful, but if I'm buying off-contract again.... why not get (almost) the best at a reasonable price.

I've had my OPO for 18 months now. Was going strong on Wednesday and I had no interest in upgrading - probably could have kept it going for as long as the battery wanted to. But then it dropped out of my pocket and spent a bit of time in the rain. I found it a bit after, dried it off and considered it good as ever. Continued to use it and then hooked it up to charge overnight....woke up and:

Actually burnt my finger pretty bad when I went to grab it. But hey I'm lucky there wasn't an electrical fire when we were asleep

This scares me a bit. Was this caused by water in the charging port? I've seen scary pictures of batteries exploding before, and this is Chinese stuff so I feel like there's an extra risk.

Socreges

Banned
This scares me a bit. Was this caused by water in the charging port? I've seen scary pictures of batteries exploding before, and this is Chinese stuff so I feel like there's an extra risk.
Had to be that there was water in the charging port, yeah. Made me think twice about trying to find a way to get an S7 or S6 since they're water proof, but I'm just going to ensure I throw it in rice if I ever have this problem again.

I'll be clear: it was stupid of me. It sat face-down on the ground (in its case) for a good 20 minutes. Not the same as it being submerged in water, but obviously bad enough that water could get in the port. I should have dried it properly, to say the least.

I've had weird issues where my headphones pop out of my headphone jack when my OPO is in my pocket. That alone might get me to upgrade. Also, it just isn't as quick as it used to be. It's cheap enough that it's a semi-impulse purchase. How long does it take to ship? I'm abroad for the next two weeks, and I'll order it so it's waiting at my destination in the US.

Only 64GB is such a deal breaker for me. :(
I used to think this would be the case when I got the OnePlus One but I never filled it up. I did stop loading all my music and use more of Google Music and Spotify. As I got older I stop finding th ended to keep my entire collection with me. I am also not a big app or game user.

I used to think this would be the case when I got the OnePlus One but I never filled it up. I did stop loading all my music and use more of Google Music and Spotify. As I got older I stop finding th ended to keep my entire collection with me. I am also not a big app or game user.

This is basically where I'm at. I have a good number of Spotify playlists saved for offline, podcasts, and a ton of photos, and I'm not even close. I just don't see a reason for 50gb of music. If, by some chance, I just NEED to listen to an album I can stream it. There just aren't any situations nowadays where I require that much storage space.

ViciousDS

Banned

Combination of water and micro USB

I hate micro USB with a passion....it's such a weakly designed port no matter the device. Ever since my OP2 I never want to go back to a phone without a lightning connector or USB-C. Being able to have a port that feels like it won't break is such a god send. Not to mention you don't have to think about what direction to plug the danm cable into the phone.

Just got my OP3 today. Wow.....I mean subtle differences to the overall phone style but it makes a difference. Thinner, lighter but did not give up that quality feel in build. Feels like a great phone. Phone of course is zippy and I can't wait to test this baby on GIF heavy pages with the bad boy rocking 6GB of ram.

Yes, she's a keeper.....and if someone didn't mention anything about the color gamma and an update coming for it....I probably wouldn't have noticed it lol

spwolf

Ordered mine Sunday, should have it tomorrow.

Excited to see what it is like.

Got it for good pricing, dual sim and generally good performance.

Fact that it was metal was important to me.

I am able to get S7 for decent price over contract but will likely just sell it on and get the money. I cant stand how cheap S7/Edge feel to me, it feels nothing like glass.

Socreges

Banned
What cases are you guys rocking? Any recommendations?

I actually ordered an Orzly Flexicase but Amazon couldn't get it in. Looking elsewhere now

ElNino

What cases are you guys rocking? Any recommendations?

I actually ordered an Orzly Flexicase but Amazon couldn't get it in. Looking elsewhere now
I have the OP Sandstone case and the leather wallet/flip case (in grey).

I like how the Sandstone feels and it is a perfect fit on the phone. The leather is ok, but I'm not used to a flip case so we'll see if I get used to it. I thought it would nice to try when I don't want to carry my wallet and only need a card with me.

Socreges

Banned
I have the OP Sandstone case and the leather wallet/flip case (in grey).

I like how the Sandstone feels and it is a perfect fit on the phone. The leather is ok, but I'm not used to a flip case so we'll see if I get used to it. I thought it would nice to try when I don't want to carry my wallet and only need a card with me.
Hows the sandstone case if you lay the phone on its face? Is there a lip around the edges so it doesn't rest on the screen?

ElNino

Hows the sandstone case if you lay the phone on its face? Is there a lip around the edges so it doesn't rest on the screen?
There is just enough of a lip around the edge that the screen doesn't touch the surface if you lay it screen side down.

Socreges

Banned
Thanks!

Apparently my Orzly Flexicase order actually went through today.... we'll see how it fares. Might order the Sandstone one anyhow.

Vodh

Mine just came in today and I'm loving it! Jumping from Xperia Z3, sadly my Xperia screen went to hell some time ago so can't compare the quality. Friend of mine had OPO, so after reading through some reviews I grabbed this one without reservations and I'm extremely happy about this purchase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom