• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OnePlus one officially announced! 299$ 16GB, 350$ 64GB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkusRJR

Can someone explain to me what good a 4k camera is when you view the video on a 1080p screen? Or does it not matter since the screen is so small?
It's so that when you transfer it to other devices it will continue to look great. Most phones can't display the quality of their 8-13MP camera's shots, but the point is that it'll look good elsewhere. With the rise of 4K displays it'll be important to have proper resolution content for it.

todd360

future proofing, plus you can zoom in quite close

It's so that when you transfer it to other devices it will continue to look great. Most phones can't display the quality of their 8-13MP camera's shots, but the point is that it'll look good elsewhere. With the rise of 4K displays it'll be important to have proper resolution content for it.

Oh ok. That makes sense I guess.

Amazing specs. If they can provide timely Android updates and if the build quality is OK, this is by far the best buy in the market right now.

TimeKillr

What? Telus, Bell, Koodo, Virgin, MTS, and Sasktel also use the 850/1900 bands. It's only Wind/Mobilicity/Videotron that use other bands. Basically every big carrier in Canada use the 850/1900 bands. Don't know where you heard that Rogers is the only carrier that uses 850/1900 bands.

I was looking up online, reading some articles saying that Bell and Telus were also using 1700mhz... Guess I was wrong.

Still, it sucks. I love my videotron contract (55$ for unlimited voice, unlimited long distance for all of north america, unlimited worldwide texting and 6 gigs of data) but their fucking shitty 1700mhz band bullshit is starting to piss me off. They're supposed to upgrade to LTE at some point, but nobody knows when (I heard it was supposed to be around last xmas, but heh) so I'm stuck with the Videotron and Wind phones for a while :(

Takuan

How is the camera compared to the nexus 5 ?

Shits on it from a great height, based on what I see in the OP.

why would i be salty? i can go out and buy one of these if i wanted, but ive had bad times with cynagenmod

if this had vanilla google supplied/updated android, id replace my n5 like that

Wouldn't you be able to install the vanilla Android software yourself? I thought that was one of the big advantages of the Android platform in general.

S_Dev

Neo Member
Amazing specs. If they can provide timely Android updates and if the build quality is OK, this is by far the best buy in the market right now.

Considering that the software for the international version is handled by none other than Cyanogenmod, updates will most likely be the least of your worries. I think the website says it "will receive updates for at least 2 years."

Build quality looks a little bit questionable, the removable battery and screw peppered back remind me of early HTC android phones and the first Galaxy S. Could be great for repairability, but could also mean the phone is creaky mess.

jaosobno

So what are their plans for standard retail/online shops? The list of countries supported by their site is depressingly small.

I'm hoping that Amazon and other online shops will stock them in the late summer...

Kyoufu

You sure about that?

My S3 went to straight shit after about a year and a half. But that Nexus 5 boot does seem slow.

EDIT: Nvm, watched the rest of the video lol.

Yep. Mine went to shit after about a year and a half too but booting never took as long as it does on those phones. Why is the OnePlus One still loading the widgets?

Anyway, here's a video of the launch event: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfpq8hTPplY

And interview with Steve Kondik, the Cyanogen creator. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDv9PXbWsB8

spwolf

i dont think boot time is that important... stability on the other hand is crucial. It kind of feels like they are rushing to make software work before the phone ships (Cyanogen dude)

theJohann

I watched the comparison video between the OnePlus and the Galaxy S5. It seems that the OnePlus has quite a bit of stutter/general unresponsiveness. I really dislike phones that aren't lightning fast, so I hope it is better than it seemed.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I watched the comparison video between the OnePlus and the Galaxy S5. It seems that the OnePlus has quite a bit of stutter/general unresponsiveness. I really dislike phones that aren't lightning fast, so I hope it is better than it seemed.

one reason why spec wars can be a bit silly. Windows Phone managed with relatively crappy processors in early phones but were still smooth and responsive. And Android can often chug even with quad core. I'm sure that is useful for games etc but the basic day to day UI should always be smooth and fast - especially with that power under the hood.

Blablurn

Sure you're not mistakn it with the GS5?

DieH@rd

Banned
Nothing 1+ has announced is unreasonable except their pricing.

SGS5 costs $250 to be produced, 1+1 will cost the same or cheaper.

3 questions still in my mind:

1 - Is OnePlus making any cases for this? I'd like a deluxe power case (Similar to the Z Ultra, Smart cover and battery in one)

2 - No Stylus support at all? The S5 supports pencil and pen as stylus input. That's so awesome (to me)

3 - CyanogenMod ever iron out some of those issues with apps/games unable to load? I experienced this with CM-based roms on my S3 and Note. Stock-based roms would load particular apps/games fine and CM-based would pose issues. And in the Sonic Transformed thread a user had posted about the game failing to load on his CM ROM.

theJohann

one reason why spec wars can be a bit silly. Windows Phone managed with relatively crappy processors in early phones but were still smooth and responsive. And Android can often chug even with quad core. I'm sure that is useful for games etc but the basic day to day UI should always be smooth and fast - especially with that power under the hood.
I absolutely agree, it seems these days that they're literally chasing higher numbers to put on their specs list, rather than deliver a smooth experience to the user. If there is one upside to the Windows Phones, it's that they feel smooth (based on my experience with them, anyway).

Sure you're not mistakn it with the GS5?

Sorry, I should clarify; both phones had noticeable amounts of delay and stutter. I only mentioned the OnePlus because this is a OnePlus thread, so I saw mentioning the Galaxy S5 as unnecessary.

Blablurn

That's from one of their admins in the forum:

Our launch has exceeded our wildest expectations. Our websites now serve millions of page views a day, our product video has almost a million views, and almost 100,000 people have applied to smash their flagships for a OnePlus One just 16 hours after we opened up for applications.

Some may have noticed our staff being less active on the forums. It's not because we're slacking off. Behind the scenes, we are running as fast as we can.

One of the most important tasks for us now is to revise our production plans to make sure we have enough devices to meet demand. We didn't expect this many people to want the One.

We'll be ready to announce more detailed plans in a few days, please bear with us.

The thirst is real

Koppai

Looks so awesome...

Sony Xperia Z2 & OnePlus One are my contenders so far...

Would be cool to win the contest, really wanna smash a certain phone.

saunderez

I wonder if I could get away with smashing my old GS3 for that contest. I just got a Nexus 5 but no way in hell I'm smashing that.

Dammit no Australia in the signup form. Well there goes that idea.

Is it just me or is this Verge article just fucking terrible?

Spec Sheet: OnePlus' One smartphone shows what hardware startups are capable of

The One — not to be confused with HTC's smartphone line of the same name — appears to be a surprisingly capable smartphone for $299. Inside it is one of Qualcomm's new Snapdragon 801 processors along with 3GB of RAM — both top of the line details. It's not an overly large or heavy smartphone for its size either, though that's assuming that you're OK with a big 5.5-inch display in the first place. It has a 1080p resolution too, so if that's what you're interested in, the phone has just about all of the basic specs you might ask for.

Basic? ... you mean the phone has the best hardware currently out, beating some of the largest named brands flagships out there? No no ... just the basic hardware.

Google's Nexus 5 is the only particularly high-profile example of a lower-cost smartphone that can match the One on specs and get near it on price, selling for an impressively low $349. The Nexus 5's specs are basically a half step behind the One's, and seemingly only because it came out half a year earlier.

Talk about contradicting yourself immediately? The Nexus 5 matches the OnePlus's specs ... only it doesn't ... but it gets near the price? Only the OnePlus costs less and is more powerful. That doesn't match up at all.

If that wasn't bad enough they then start a comparison with the N1, a phone that costs $599 and much older hardware.

The N1 has a larger display and a taller body, and it actually falls behind the One just a bit more than the Nexus 5 does on specs, with only a Snapdragon 600 processor on the inside — by no means bad, but not what's been shipping in recent high-end smartphones. There are also two other major sticking points: First, its price. At $599, it's double the cost of the One. And second, it doesn't include LTE, unlike the One.

Just a terrible article.

They basically ignored the fact this phone has everything the latest flagship phones from Samsung, Sony, LG etc have (processor, battery, screen, camera) and instead compared it too older or expensive shitty phones.

This phone is A league, and they relegated it too the B and C league.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom