• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OnePlus one officially announced! 299$ 16GB, 350$ 64GB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blablurn

Y1NSJ5J2740O.jpg

7CQJF7P094IU.jpg

HN8K8B307K0C.jpg

PE939H19ZCG9.jpg

more here: http://m.chinabyte.com/soft/179/12933679_2_m.shtml

longdi

Banned
Can someone explain to me what good a 4k camera is when you view the video on a 1080p screen? Or does it not matter since the screen is so small?

Idk about the screen but the 4K captures from my Z2 looks blotchy as fuck. ..in other words, 4K camera on a phone is worthless despite playing back on a wqhd screen...skeptical 1+1 will change that...

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Just read that the phone is produced in Oppo's factories. No wonder it looks like a Find 7 (also a great phone)

Audioboxer

Looks great, and good price, but too big for me.

Nexus 5 is the perfect size, they're just pushing the boundaries a bit far for me now with length.

reKon

Banned
Damn why couldn't they have just made this a smaller phone. If they do make one, we aren't going to see it for another year or so since this one has enough demand by itself

TheTux

Yes, Yes, and they're a 6month old company with former Oppo exec running it, Oppo has a great track record, I wouldn't think twice about it.

Thanks, is that Android build translated in all languages? Is there a list somewhere? And how can I know if that phone supports my operator? Is the GPU great? Should we wait for reviews after its release?

Sorry for all these questions but I'm not a smartphone expert.

Spinluck

Damn why couldn't they have just made this a smaller phone. If they do make one, we aren't going to see it for another year or so since this one has enough demand by itself

At this point the value is so good, that I'm buying one anyway. If they make one with a smaller screen I'll just sell my OP1 for it.

Wouldn't mind having this for a while though. I think the screen might have been for future proofing though- since phones feel like they're getting bigger. But what do I know lol.

Hope it reviews well, ï really want one.

samn

This marketing stunt they're doing is really giving me second thoughts about getting one. They're asking 100 people selected at random to upload a video of them destroying their existing smartphone, including setting it on fire and putting it in blender. The reward is the OnePlus phone. This is very dangerous - broken glass, battery fire, gases released by the battery...

abracadaver

too bad that they only give you the 16gb white version for smashing your phone. I want the 64gb black one.

I would have put my nexus 5 into liquid nitrogen and then smashed it into a thousand pieces.

Now I have to wait until a generous gaffer invites me

This marketing stunt they're doing is really giving me second thoughts about getting one. They're asking 100 people selected at random to upload a video of them destroying their existing smartphone, including setting it on fire and putting it in blender. The reward is the OnePlus phone. This is very dangerous - broken glass, battery fire, gases released by the battery...

Oh grow up. It's marketing and it's got you talking and thinking about it. They already won.

Who cares what people decide to do of of their own accord.

TheTux

Oh grow up. It's marketing and it's got you talking and thinking about it. They already won.

Who cares what people decide to do of of their own accord.

+1

Edit: Oh and what if the battery dies after few months? Will people be able to replace it removing just few screwsand buying a new battery online?

thenexus6

The smashing thing is pretty dumb, yeah i'm going to smash my phone which I could just sell and get enough to buy the phone outright with

kudoboi

There are a lot of red flags on one plus. Telling people to destroy their phones, lying about the screen size comparison, being a subsidiary of oppo without telling anyone and banning users on their forums for any bad criticisms.

Links: OnePlus being part of oppo

health hazards

What happens when you smash your phone

User being banned for asking about the campaign

Lies about the size

under the guidelines
"Video Submission Guidelines

"All submitted videos must be shot in one frame with no cutting or editing. The applicant must show that their phone does turn on and use the phone that was chosen by the applicant in their initial application. The phone must suffer significant and visible damage to qualify for the OnePlus One purchase code. The applicant must show evidence of the damage in the video following the smash.

"OnePlus reserves the right to disqualify any video submission for any reason, in its sole and absolute discretion. OnePlus is not liable for any damage done to phones that are damaged in disqualified videos."

The phones that qualify for the promotion are all phones that cost more than the One Plus One

There are a lot of red flags on one plus. Telling people to destroy their phones, lying about the screen size comparison, being a subsidiary of oppo without telling anyone and banning users on their forums for any bad criticisms.

health hazards

Lies about the size

under the guidelines

The phones that qualify for the promotion are all phones that cost more than the One Plus One

Yeah, that does suck

syllogism

"E-waste", health hazards associated with smashing a phone, typical campaign legalese and a random person being banned for 3 days due to an unknown reason constitute red flags on OnePlus?

gogogow

Kyoufu

Where can I find the list of the qualifying phones? I can't find it on their official page. Just curious. I already pre-ordered a Z2. I'm not even sure why anyone would want to smash let's say their Z2 (which is in the link) for a basically same specced phone...

I don't know why anyone would want to smash their phone, period.

This is easily the dumbest thing.

gogogow

I don't know why anyone would want to smash their phone, period.

This is easily the dumbest thing.

Well, I can understand if you could smash any phone. But according to some websites you can't and there's a list with phones that qualify and most of them are still up to date and (relatively) expensive phones.

kudoboi

People always find a reason to get angry. It's not like they are forcing anyone. It's all about getting some attention. Good marketing. It's not like they ask to kill people.

By asking people to smash the phone to the point where the battery stops functioning, it could easily do major injury to the user.

Doing this marketing campaign is a horrible way to start up a company but i guess bad publicity is still publicity.

Spinluck

health hazards

Lies about the size

under the guidelines

How are these red flags on the phone itself, and boy the company? Lol.

health hazards

Lies about the size

under the guidelines

All of that seems to be small petty things to be concerned with, IMO. They 'lied' about the length of the phone by not showing the extended part at the bottom.

I'm just concerned about support. I want even MORE information on the phone and I'm not getting it!

Cipherr

They didn't expect that many people to want the most powerful phone out at the cheapest price? Come on...

No, they didn't. Just because its cheap and powerful doesn't mean these companies can predict the demand. Google is probably 10x this companies size and they had Nexus 4 shortages due to the demand that surprised them all the same, remember?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/google/9815383/LG-blames-Google-for-Nexus-4-shortage.html

The Google Nexus 4 has been listed as 'sold out' online almost constantly since it was released in November last year. The Android-powered smartphone, which costs £239 for an 8GB version or £279 for 16GB, is manufactured by Korean firm LG.

Asked about the reason for the stock problems, Cathy Robin, director of LG Mobile in France, blamed Google's poor estimates.

If they can get it wrong, I'm sure these guys can also. I believe them.

Rafy

Hopefully when the reviews are in we learn what the thunderbolt adapter that we saw in the leaked pics is for.

I'll definitely pick this phone up when it's regularly available. Still on a Nexus S and I'm really starting to need an upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom