• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OnePlus one officially announced! 299$ 16GB, 350$ 64GB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

EGM92

Wow, almost 5 pages in and only one complaint about microSD. Tides turning? I'd still spring for the 64gb version even though I haven't even used half of the capacity on my N4 16gb.

Well considering you're not being forced to spend hundred of extra dollars for a massive storage upgrade there's no much to complain about. 64GB for 349 is a steal, considering some 64GB capacity phones run close to $800-900

How does this compare to the nexus 5?

Better in every way, but there's a big screen difference and form factor difference.

spwolf

so what about aftersales support?

Specs are good, price is great.. not everything is in specs though.

Despite them hyping it up, it is still pretty big phone and lack of sd card is interesting. Still, 64gb is cheap but why not have both?

I hope they are on the top of the software game...

Bullza2o

Looks very interesting. I love WP8.1 on my Lumia 920, but if I ever move to Android for my phone it would be this one or similar. Nexus 6 has some competition now.

Qvoth

still not really sure how the invite works
if you get an invite, do they mail you the phone or what? or do they have flagship stores in those countries and you need to go there and take it?

i've been hanging on to my s2 for far too long, not exactly in a hurry to change though

Koppai

Since I have sworn off Samesung

Two contenders for my dollars are the Sony Xperia Z2 and the OnePlus One :)

Now lets see what Apple and the others bring to the table...

Can't wait for my upgrade in October :)

Cronox

Banned
What I like about this is the 3 gigs of ram. The new HTC One and the Galaxy S5 both have 2 gigs of ram and I just don't feel that that'll be enough in the future. 3 gigs and no touchwiz or extra crap I can't get rid of and I feel pretty good about the phone not getting swamped and lagging.

Only things I would have liked are if it was a tad smaller (and 16:10 ratio, why do handset makers think 16:9 is a thing? It hurts one handed usability...), had a micro-sd (cheap upgrade to 64gigs of memory makes this hurt less), and a removeable battery. I'm finally willing to give up my physical home button if a double tap is all I need to wake the phone.

I'm in for this, unless problems reveal themselves in the reviews. I'm a little sad that I won't get to go to Ting, but going to T-Mobile with this phone will keep monthly bills reasonable.

MarkusRJR

Reposting the post I made in the invite thread since it seems like I'd probably have better chances at getting a response here:

Does having an invite mean I'll be able to for sure buy one (even if it's out of stock on the site I'll be able to purchase it/preorder it)? I want the 64gb one but I imagine it'll be sold out instantly.

Also, how many invites do you get back from purchasing? I plan to give them all back to GAF, but how many is that?

Rafy

OP says the battery is non removable but in the video it looks like it is right below the backcover ?!

you can see it but it's still "non removable". I'd love for ifixit to get their hands on this phone. Maybe we will be able to change the battery ourselves if it's just a ribbon connector and stuck on the phone with some double sided tape or glue. Just hope it's not soldered in like the first iphone.

milkham

Reposting the post I made in the invite thread since it seems like I'd probably have better chances at getting a response here:

Does having an invite mean I'll be able to for sure buy one (even if it's out of stock on the site I'll be able to purchase it/preorder it)? I want the 64gb one but I imagine it'll be sold out instantly.

Also, how many invites do you get back from purchasing? I plan to give them all back to GAF, but how many is that?

it seems that buying will be by invitation only. i think its five invites but i may be wrong.

Im I the only one that this whole "invite" system doesn't sit well with? This is a new company, with a new and unproven phone, that essentially want people to beg to buy it?
It's just a way for them to get more coverage/exposure/word of mouth. It's a common technique with start-ups, and it works.

thenexus6

5.5" is personally too big for me, at times I wish my Nexus 5 was a tiny bit smaller.. If they offered a 4.7" and I didn't have N5 and needed a new phone this'll be insta-buy.

acm2000

You sound awfully salty. There's no point being annoyed, the Nexus 5 is still a fantastic phone, don't feel like you've been duped because someone is now offering something better at a lower cost, that's how these things work.

why would i be salty? i can go out and buy one of these if i wanted, but ive had bad times with cynagenmod

if this had vanilla google supplied/updated android, id replace my n5 like that

TimeKillr

Ugh, I'm pissed... My carrier in Canada is stupid and uses the 1700mhz band, so no OnePlus for me :( I don't want to go back to Rogers (which is the only one that uses 850/1900) so I'm fucked... I find it weird they're launching it in Canada when a single carrier will be able to use it.

Lack of MicroSD slot is disappointing but that's my only gripe. Can we expect regular updates for this phone? Fucking hate waiting a year for an update on my S4 through T-Mobile.

MercuryLS

Banned
This phone looks pretty amazing. I wish it wasn't a 5.5" device though :(

Also someone explain this $1 thing. If you smash your existing phone and show it it OnePlus, you can buy the One for $1?

tissot

Ugh, I'm pissed... My carrier in Canada is stupid and uses the 1700mhz band, so no OnePlus for me :( I don't want to go back to Rogers (which is the only one that uses 850/1900) so I'm fucked... I find it weird they're launching it in Canada when a single carrier will be able to use it.

This phone should work with 1700mhz (Wind/Mobilicity/Videotron)

Any news on cases? I'm looking for one of those military-grade cases to buy with it.

EDIT: Also, do you NEED to pay the $1 to buy it?

MarkusRJR

What? Telus, Bell, Koodo, Virgin, MTS, and Sasktel also use the 850/1900 bands. It's only Wind/Mobilicity/Videotron that use other bands. Basically every big carrier in Canada use the 850/1900 bands. Don't know where you heard that Rogers is the only carrier that uses 850/1900 bands.

todd360

Can someone explain to me what good a 4k camera is when you view the video on a 1080p screen? Or does it not matter since the screen is so small?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom