• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OnePlus one officially announced! 299$ 16GB, 350$ 64GB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

spwolf

Just read that the phone is produced in Oppo's factories. No wonder it looks like a Find 7 (also a great phone)

i just read that this is basically Oppo owned company trying to make it sound like a cool private startup to get more media coverage... Apparently Chinese journalists looked at incorporation papers and company is 100% owned by Oppo.

I dont know why did they think those things are cool - to deceive about Oppo, to run stupid smash promotion or to deceive about the size and constant crap about being better than competition.

Maybe it is Chinese thing? But thats not what works on the west.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
I wish the OP was more informative. I didn't even know it was a phone until reading some posts.

What version of Android, why is it coming with google apps a selling point? Don't all android phones come with google apps? ...is it that hard to get google apps on your phone?

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
i just read that this is basically Oppo owned company trying to make it sound like a cool private startup to get more media coverage... Apparently Chinese journalists looked at incorporation papers and company is 100% owned by Oppo.

I dont know why did they think those things are cool - to deceive about Oppo, to run stupid smash promotion or to deceive about the size and constant crap about being better than competition.

Maybe it is Chinese thing? But thats not what works on the west.

Right - Oppo was getting great press with the Find 7/7a. Not sure what this move meant.

Edit: Unless, they think this is a way to enter the American market with a cheap device - and maybe it'd work...but Americans are buying more unlocked devices...I dunno

Omega

Banned
I wish the OP was more informative. I didn't even know it was a phone until reading some posts.

Sarcasm?

How could you not tell it was a phone? From the Flagship Killer, to all the pictures, to the comparison to other phones like the iPhone 5S. Did I mention all the pictures? Ones which contain the word "smartphone" in it

MercuryLS

Banned
That packaging is orgasmic, love the look of the USB cable.

This looks like the first high end handset that is at budget pricing without cutting corners when it comes to ID. I liked the Nexus devices but they always felt like there were compromises taken to get to a low price point, this device looks high end all the way through at incredible pricing. My only issue is that I'm not really a fan of massive phones and I'm not a huge fan of Android either.

spwolf

Right - Oppo was getting great press with the Find 7/7a. Not sure what this move meant.

Edit: Unless, they think this is a way to enter the American market with a cheap device - and maybe it'd work...but Americans are buying more unlocked devices...I dunno

nothing wrong with trying out new brand.. without deceit, it would have worked better since everyone wants nice phone that is very affordable.

EGM92

What I've yet to see any mention of in this phone is the notification LED, is there one? Is it like the Find 7?

kehs

Banned
What I've yet to see any mention of in this phone is the notification LED, is there one? Is it like the Find 7?

f73c7a-unboxing-first-impressions-9-of-27-710x399.jpg

Rafy

I added the droid-life article in the OP under the Hands On section. I will keep adding any others that pop up tomorrow morning (EU here.)

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
No microsd... hype down again..

That was my first reaction too. Who in their right mind releases a phone without memory expansion capabilities in 20-FUCKING-14? 64GB is a joke. I have an HTC with a 64gb MSD card and I *easily* filled it to the brimm without mostly misc youtube vids.

Yeah, I'll pass.

That was my first reaction too. Who in their right mind releases a phone without memory expansion capabilities in 20-FUCKING-14? 64GB is a joke. I have an HTC with a 64gb MSD card and I *easily* filled it to the brimm without mostly misc youtube vids.

Yeah, I'll pass.

why would you need that many youtube videos though

the lack of a microsd slot is a valid complaint, but uh

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Production update:

We now know, at least for a minute, when you will be able to buy the Oppo OnePlus One. According to the company’s official forums, they now have a better grasp on which units need to be the focus of production and have scheduled “later in June” as the time that “general availability” will increase.

As expected, the initial push is to get 100 units out to the winners of their “Smash the Past” contest, followed by the fulfillment of the first batch of 16GB Silk White models. Once early June rolls around, a larger batch of 64GB Sandstone Black units should be available before we hit that “later June” mark for general availability.

OnePlus realized over the last couple of weeks that people are much more interested in the $349 64GB Sandstone Black unit over the $299 16GB Silk White model and have had to adjust their schedule accordingly. Why the 64GB is still the last out the door is beyond me, but I’m not a production guy. I’m just a blogger.

Here is the official updated word from OnePlus:

Ready now – 100 for phone smashers
Mid to late May – Larger batch 16GB Silk White for the first batch of invites
Early June – Larger batch 64GB Sandstone Black
Later in June – Increased general availability, people who want it should be able to get an invite without much trouble in June

so, there you go

http://www.droid-life.com/2014/04/2...te-late-june-is-your-best-bet-for-buying-one/

Cronox

Banned

Yeah, I'll pass.

To be fair, a ton of phones don't have micro sd slots, including Google's Nexus line. The 64 gig model is fairly priced, which helps. I would normally complain about it too, but the availability of the 64 gig model and the price are acceptable trade-offs. I'm much more concerned about the quality of the stereo speakers and the general size of the thing. I spend so much time using my phone as a mobile podcast speaker that I've got to have good volume out of it. Given that it's on the bottom instead of the back of the phone like the Samsung Galaxy line, I'll already need to make sure I'm pointing it in my direction now instead of simply leaving my phone lying flat...

Nice, my GS3 is still working as good as new but this looks enticing. I'll wait a few months though, is an unknown manufacturer.

Omega

Banned
I don't mind waiting until the end of June. Better for me. Now I won't feel bad about getting Wolfenstein day 1.

U2NUMB

So question... if I were to pick one of these up when it gets to the US.. I currently am on ATT with a Nokia Lumina 920.. could I simply use the sim card from my current phone in this?

I am not familiar with changing phones often.. so if this is a duh no shit sort of question I am sorry.

linkboy

So question... if I were to pick one of these up when it gets to the US.. I currently am on ATT with a Nokia Lumina 920.. could I simply use the sim card from my current phone in this?

I am not familiar with changing phones often.. so if this is a duh no shit sort of question I am sorry.

Yes, GSM phones store their info on the Sim.

For example, I use straight talk with my nexus 4 and I'm currently deployed. All I did was replace my Sim with a Sim from where I'm at and activated service.

When I get back to the states, I'm just going to put my ST Sim back in a reactivate my service and be good to go.

U2NUMB

Yes, GSM phones store their info on the Sim.

For example, I use straight talk with my nexus 4 and I'm currently deployed. All I did was replace my Sim with a Sim from where I'm at and activated service.

When I get back to the states, I'm just going to put my ST Sim back in a reactivate my service and be good to go.

Fantastic... I like my windows phone but I am ready to give android a shot and my biggest issue being I was stuck in a contract.. this looks like a good price to get out.

Thanks for the info.. STAY SAFE

jaosobno

So, are there any plans to make One available to the wider audience via Amazon and similar shops?

I'm not in a supported country so I have no chance of getting this from their site.

Sony Xperia Z costs $450 on Google Play. It is a 6.4" Display.

I wanted a big screen to watch movies, but do I want to wait for Oneplus One?

Zapages

I'm not arguing your point as I totally agree, but I find this fascinating. Why? How? lol

Personally I have 32 GB card that gets filled. I take photos and then I just placed it into SD card and view photos on PS3. This is easier than using any cloud solution...

Aside from this point, I have mp3s which are able to play in my car in easier manner than any cloud solution, which will eat my data plan of 2 GB a month. :\

DedValve

Banned
So obviously this phone will be supply strained for a while but can the manufacturing ramp up? If so this phone needs a killer marketing campaign stat because this could very well change the landscape to provide us much cheaper alternatives.

Kyoufu

So obviously this phone will be supply strained for a while but can the manufacturing ramp up? If so this phone needs a killer marketing campaign stat because this could very well change the landscape to provide us much cheaper alternatives.

The reason it's cheap is because it doesn't have any marketing behind it. They are depending on word of mouth to market this device.

DaveH

It depends. Race-to-the-bottom is a good way to grow quickly, but it also means razor-thin margins that can cause your company to implode with a single misstep.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
I'm not arguing your point as I totally agree, but I find this fascinating. Why? How? lol

There's a ton of great, fascinating content out there on the net. Everything from gaming footage to concert videos to anime, you name it. I watch tons of things. Plus I game a lot and love emulation, so there's the need for more space for that too.

Remember, 1GB was considered MASSIVE just 10 years ago. With the increase in resolution, videos are going to take up more and more space and 5 years from now 64GB will seem like a joke.

Rafy

The production schedule has been updated:

Our production schedule is as follows:

Ready now - 100 for phone smashers

Mid to late May - Larger batch 16GB Silk White for the first batch of invites

Late May to early June - Larger batch 64GB Sandstone Black

Later in June - Increased general availability, people who want it should be able to get an invite without much trouble in June

Update May 6: After seeing how popular the 64GB version was compared to the 16GB, we have pushed back the production of the 16GB Silk White in favor of getting the 64GB Sandstone Black out quicker.

Also Added the 1+ Sub-reddit link to the OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom