• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OnePlus one officially announced! 299$ 16GB, 350$ 64GB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DieH@rd

Banned
If they made 5" version of this, I would fought to buy one ASAP.

But with its current size, I will watch out for it and it public retail deployment, and when that happens, I will decide what to do. No matter what, this is still incredible deal for incredible hardware.

I don't know how any of this stuff works. If I buy one of these, when it is available, do I just go into a T-Mobile store and have them switch me (I'm with Sprint, looking to leave) to their plan and they insert a sim card?

Or is it more complicated than that?
If you don't want the $30 a month plan, then yes, you can do just that and have them set you up.
Otherwise, you need to either purchase the SIM Card kit online or go to Walmart and buy one and activate that plan yourself. It's really not difficult at all.

Servbot24

Banned
My sprint contract is up in May and I want to switch carriers. This phone + TMobile is very tempting. It looks like their $50 plan is practically as good as my $90 plan on Sprint! Plus they offer $300 to trade in your old device when you're switching carriers.

Am I missing anything or is this a no-brainer? Old phone is a 4s btw.

Only problem is the 5.5" size but I'd get over it.

You guys will be very happy leaving Sprint. I did last year after putting up with so many years of their bullshit promises, slow internet speeds, missed calls, and texts that arrived hours later. Now I can actually use a smart phone like a smart phone. I want this phone, but if I can't get it until August I'll just wait for the next Nexus or new flagship.

Rafy

Is there any information at all about the digitizer in this phone?

Yes, it's a TOL (Touch On Lens) display which means there in no display between the actual LCD display and the touch sensor.

should work fine on AT&T right?

Yes it does.

I took the opportunity and added the bands the phone works on in the OP because too many people were asking the same question. Just Google your carrier and see what bands they use.

Rafy

For all of you to be in a list there needs to be one, has anybody started a thread? Do you want me to make one?

Oyashiro

People are making it sound like this phone is gigantic. Quit exaggerating. If you've held a Note 3 before, it's basically the same size. Yes, it's a large phone, but it's not ZomG too big!!11

Biff

For all of you to be in a list there needs to be one, has anybody started a thread? Do you want me to make one?
That's a really good idea. Please add me to this list!

I'm at work so it's really hard to keep refreshing for a new thread, haha.

Rafy

I am making the thread. The list will start then and it's first come first serve. I need someone, preferably a mod to manage the list file as adding names to it will take up all my day.

People are making it sound like this phone is gigantic. Quit exaggerating. If you've held a Note 3 before, it's basically the same size. Yes, it's a large phone, but it's not ZomG too big!!11

I get the sense that most people complaining about the size wouldn't buy a Note 3 either.

It's okay to not like phablets.

SnakeNL

I have to replace my phone this year.
I was going for a Z2 but this changes things.
Anyone know when we can expect reviews ?

If there is any list put me on it :p

FrsDvl

Dont k ow if its been asked yet, but is this phone only still obtainable through invites? Or am i going to be able to get it anywhere?

Im I the only one that this whole "invite" system doesn't sit well with? This is a new company, with a new and unproven phone, that essentially want people to beg to buy it?

Yes it is running cyanogen mod, yes it is digustingly cheap, yes it is a slick looking device.

But Its going to be very limited availability to test, Its coming from a company that isn't established in the west so customer service is going to be a nightmare and its a new entry in an extremely crowded market.

The idea of begging for the opportunity to pay to become a beta tester is mind boggling to me.

Im I the only one that this whole "invite" system doesn't sit well with? This is a new company, with a new and unproven phone, that essentially want people to beg to buy it?

Yes it is running cyanogen mod, yes it is digustingly cheap, yes it is a slick looking device.

But Its going to be very limited availability to test, Its coming from a company that isn't established in the west so customer service is going to be a nightmare and its a new entry in an extremely crowded market.

The idea of begging for the opportunity to pay to become a beta tester is mind boggling to me.

Sounds like FUD

Rafy

I just found out that it apparently comes with no charger and headphones in the box. Just the phone and a usb cable. A dude on their forums just noticed they were missing from the specs.

Kyoufu

I just found out that it apparently comes with no charger and headphones in the box. Just the phone and a usb cable. A dude on their forums just noticed they were missing from the specs.

USB cable costs like a dollar and you almost always get cheap nasty headphones anyway. Is that a dealbreaker? I mean this phone is $299 so you have to expect corners to be cut.

If you want to spend more on better products/packages then that's what the flagships are for.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
I skipped on the huawei but this looks like something I see myself using, huge screen and everything, they even copied the right phone design

Rafy

USB cable costs like a dollar and you almost always get cheap nasty headphones anyway. Is that a dealbreaker? I mean this phone is $299 so you have to expect corners to be cut.

If you want to spend more on better products/packages then that's what the flagships are for.

Not a deal breaker for me, might be for some people, that's why I mentioned it.

Camp Lo

Banned

To be fair, OEM cables are usually the best ones in my experience. Every charging cable (thicker than $1 normal USB) aren't as durable as the one that came with my G2.

To be fair, OEM cables are usually the best ones in my experience. Every charging cable (thicker than $1 normal USB) aren't as durable as the one that came with my G2.

Thank god they're purchasable. My old microUSB from my BlackBerry Bold (Which predates me having a Windows 7 Phone) is still ticking and strong. I've bought multiples but not one has broken yet.

Fatalah

I'm curious how the phone will perform in tech blogs' rigorous tests. Great price, but let's see some reviews before getting overly excited.

I have an HTC One on contract with AT&T, if I wanted this all I'd have to do would be to move my SIM over to it? Would I need to call customer support or something too? Looking at prices on eBay... Geeze, selling my good-condition HTC One would nearly cover the whole cost of the... OnePlus One.

...What's with the number one these days?

milkham

I have an HTC One on contract with AT&T, if I wanted this all I'd have to do would be to move my SIM over to it? Would I need to call customer support or something too? Looking at prices on eBay... Geeze, selling my good-condition HTC One would nearly cover the whole cost of the... OnePlus One.

...What's with the number one these days?

yes just move your sim over to it.

edit: assuming it takes the same size sim

WoodWERD

Wow, almost 5 pages in and only one complaint about microSD. Tides turning? I'd still spring for the 64gb version even though I haven't even used half of the capacity on my N4 16gb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom