• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

|OT| French Presidential Elect 2017 - La France est toujours insoumise; Le Pen loses

GAF Decides

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
kcRZCQt.gif

Eolz

I wish, but not a chance... Somehow, I think his father would have been better in a debate in 2002.

I even doubt it'll have notable results, in fact. People supporting her will have found her full of energy or anything, and good. she wouldn't have earned so much support already, I haven't found her speech different from basically any other time. Remember that a lot of people are supporting Trump against media lies...

I don't think so for her father. While he is a better "tribun", he would have done a lot more faux-pas, he's not politically correct like her daughter.
Second paragraph is a good point, people who were going to vote for her still will. It was really a debate to convince non-voters.

Yeah sure but Macron gained probably more electors than MLP for sure and he was already wining by a long marge but we never know...

Winning at 60/40 in the polls is not a large margin sadly. But yeah, agreed, he managed to convince a lot of non-voters from what I can see in my circles.

They were awfully off in both primaries, though. It's not an exact science, there's not enough elections to make the whole mechanism trustable.

Though I agree on the most important thing: it's nowhere near Trump or Brexit (In fact, I was convinced that Trump would win when I saw him in the primaries, and that Brexit was a big random draw...)

For the primaries, it's a weird one. They were obviously right for each second round, but while they were wrong for most of the time, they were right in each final week before the first round (not for the score, but for the final 2 candidates).
Speaking of the primaries, this year has definitely shown that while primaries can be a good idea, opening them to any voter instead of just party supporters only make it unpredictable and bring punishment votes that are not necessarily representative of the party's own opinion.

For Brexit, since I lived that in the UK, it seems it mostly came down to people not going to vote (sadly...), and others thinking it would just be a protest vote. Pretty sad.

She genuinely looks like she's snapped and gone to live with the fairies.
Yeah, my takeaway here is that I honestly don't believe anyone who wasn't going to vote for her saw that and said to themselves "I want her to be president". Likewise, I don't believe anyone stopped supporting Macron.

I'm not sure debates meaningfully move the needle anyway.

Eolz

2geuge.png

Post debate BFM poll.

For that poll, honestly, I would wait until tomorrow (+).
It's never realistic just after something happens, and FN supporters have a strong internet presence, just like FI ones did. I wouldn't be surprised if it's closer to 70/30 (and I doubt it'll get much lower).

As someone who's emotionally invested it's always difficult to judge debates.

For me personally it was fucking obvious that Macron did better. But I also think for the general public he came out of this looking better than Le Pen. I hope the polls give him a slight bump.

mo60

Yeah. The alt right is not happy about her debate performance right now. They are now focusing on something they found that is really fake related to Macron.

Le Pen interviewed by BFM afterwards: "Macron was agressive and couldn't answer when pressed on issues" (I'm paraphrasing)

I'm at a loss for words.

Jb

Le Pen interviewed by BFM afterwards: "Macron was agressive and couldn't answer when pressed on issues" (I'm paraphrasing)

I'm at a loss for words.
If you repeat something loudly and often enough theres a chance people will start believing it. Just look at Trump.

One guy is angry she fumbled the ball so close to the end zone.
Another thinks she fucked up on a number of issues but she proved he's a lying angry dude.
Douchebag #4 thinks Macron is a psychopath like Sarkozy.
Douchebags #5&6 think she shouldn't have been laughing so much in a debate like this, it gives the FN a bad rap.

Diamond

Fillon won the Les Républicains Primaires by showing he could act like a president during the debates. Le Pen had the opportunity to do the same, but - what a surprise - she was absolutely incapable to do anything different than usual. She played against herself by staying the one in opposition to the leading powers, when she should have shown she could BE that leading force. To me it was a big mistake, but maybe she and her team knew she wouldn't be able to do anything else.

Slaythe

Now please.

PLEASE.

Imagine Dupont-aignan's reaction during the debate tonight.

I think I would have killed somebody to see that.

How he must have gone like "I.... I gave up everything for a lunatic ......" hahahahah.

If it becomes a meme the debate would be redeemed.

Macron's reaction where he keeps his mouth open and doesn't know how to react is already a meme.

Especially since he's gonna be the french president.

Alx

Fillon won the Les Républicains Primaires by showing he could act like a president during the debates. Le Pen had the opportunity to do the same, but - what a surprise - she was absolutely incapable to do anything different than usual. She played against herself by staying the one in opposition to the leading powers, when she should have shown she could BE that leading force. To me it was a big mistake, but maybe she and her team knew she wouldn't be able to do anything else.

When you think about it it's all the FN has ever been able to do : criticize everything and push ludicrous ideas. But being sensible and looking presidential isn't their thing.

Kuldar

Philippot must have falcepalmed the whole time. He worked so hard on making the FN a clean political party and Le Pen just showed that they haven't changed.

Addi

Didn't watch - what was talking about ? Who is 'everywhere'?

Le Pen accused Macron of disrespecting her voters (sort of "the deplorables" attack even though he hadn't said anything like that) and went on "oooh, they are everywhere, on the countryside, in cities, in social media"@

EDIT: that BFM poll wasn't an internet poll. They chose a representative segment of 3000 people. 12% of Le Pen voters actually thought Macron was best.

Jb

The "fachosphère" on Twitter is dead silent.

It's been awhile lol

I bet many of them are already hard at work on the "election was rigged from the start by the establishment, the media, the free masons and the ghost of Mitterand" narrative they'll try to push.

Diamond

When you think about it it's all the FN has ever been able to do : criticize everything and push ludicrous ideas. But being sensible and looking presidential isn't their thing.

Absolutely. They had a rare opportunity to show something different and Le Pen completely blew it. It's almost funny when you think about the efforts she made to change their public image.

It's something I feel Mélenchon (the other "fuck the system" candidate) had, the aptitude to incarnate the presidential role, but obviously it shows it's not the only factor in people's choice.

Iceternal

One good thing came from this debate.

I was afraid Macron wouldn't have enough courage and patience to be a president. But I think he does now.

Addi

Shit, I'm glad I'm not following this through international media. They are trying sooooo hard to create tension, making it seem like the debate was a tie, to make it so dramatic.

Eolz

I was afraid Macron wouldn't have enough courage and patience to be a president. But I think he does now.

I've seen a tweet joking that after that, he was ready to believe he could take care of the nuclear codes and long debates with Trump.
That was quite the show of patience yeah...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom