• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

|OT| French Presidential Elect 2017 - La France est toujours insoumise; Le Pen loses

GAF Decides

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Slaythe

Yeah I mean, not only was she the candidate of hatred, she was also completely incompetent.

Anything over 20% is a really sad state of things.

40% ish is a nightmare.

I still don't understand why some people thought that Marine had a chance lol.

Like i said here a few weeks ago i think, we're not the US, and our vote system is good enough to prevent people like Trump being President.

It's cool to feel concerned, but there's no need to be afraid, really.

Fisico

Hate they're doing that, it can refrain people to go vote, thinking like "hey it's sunny today, and anyway Macron is winning, I'm gonna go to the beach, they don't need my vote".

PEOPLE, VOTE!

Weather is crap near Paris currently and in half of France apparently

Grizzo

I did my part

img_4740hxb6b.jpg

I hope my country is not gonna let everybody down (I'm pretty sure it won't though)

anyone but "her" please 🙏

I still don't understand why some people thought that Marine had a chance lol.

Like i said here a few weeks ago i think, we're not the US, and our vote system is good enough to prevent people like Trump being President.

It's cool to feel concerned, but there's no need to be afraid, really.
People with a very shallow view of the world. Basically because of Brexit and Trump the whole world somehow lost its mind.

I don't like these estimates because Belgian papers don't source them (besides "they're reliable") while French pollsters swear they don't do exit polling. I mean, saying "take it with a pinch of salt, it might drastically change but here it is so far" while announcing numbers that are in line with the last polls sounds pretty meaningless.

(Real early results come from 7:7:30pm when votes are being counted and final results can be extrapolated)

Eolz

I don't like these estimates because Belgian papers don't source them (besides "they're reliable") while French pollsters swear they don't do exit polling. I mean, saying "take it with a pinch of salt, it might drastically change but here it is so far" while announcing numbers that are in line with the last polls sounds pretty meaningless.

(Real early results come from 7:7:30pm when votes are being counted and final results can be extrapolated)

This.
Belgian papers can be right, but only starting from 7/7:30pm, and even then when it's not too close (like for Sarko/Hollande, or the first round this year).
Worthless until then.

People with a very shallow view of the world. Basically because of Brexit and Trump the whole world somehow lost its mind.

It's not a very shallow view of the world, quite the contrary. Brexit and Trump are just 2 symptoms of the same cause: The strong push towards right wing politics and nationalism in the Western world. It's been coming for several years now.

I don't think we ever should consider anything a done deal in regards to politics. Was Marine Le Pen likely to win the French presidential race? No. But it was still possible. It's never wrong to be concerned and let that concern muster the motivation to engage in politics.

Here, near Nancy, 15km south in the countryside, rain and gastroenteritis for me. Bad day.

My poo is green ATM.
The results in Meurthe-et-Moselle, outside of Nancy, were really fucking depressing after the first round.

I have family in a village in the north of the department and I've been carefully ghosting them for months tbh.

Alej

Banned
The results in Meurthe-et-Moselle, outside of Nancy, were really fucking depressing after the first round.

I have family in a village in the north of the department and I've been carefully ghosting them for months tbh.

Hopeless people are hopeless. My village is the same, but 85 of 400 voted Melenchon in the 1st round, counting me and my wife.

People are really really kind here, a magnitude better than in the big city, that's the paradox.

I think everything bad is coming from old people. Le Pen or Fillon for the oldest ones. They don't understand the world around them and want their to return. That's probably a little cliché but it's very palpable here.

RPGCrazied

Also, people are forgetting, France doesn't have the electoral college. All Macron has to do is get more votes, he wins.

If it was like that in America, we wouldn't have Trump. So, thank your lucky stars for that.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance

Same in Moselle. Metz put Macron largely in front of everyone else, and Le Pen ended in #4, but Moselle as whole put her in first, even cities that are part of the Metz agglomération. It's sad.

I mean, compared to what's expected, sure, but let's not get carried away here.

Right, obviously. 80/20 like 2002 would be the only uplifting results, to be sure, but still, her losing 5-10 points compared to the polls would be encouraging.

Eolz

I sadly don't think the FN will be lower than 30% in the best case scenario.
Too late, too many people not going to vote (or using a white one).
35% would be "good" news though.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
US pre-election threads flashback.

You haven't been following this election or my posts if that's what my post reminds you of.

Trust me, I'm more worried than most that she might win after what happened in the US. Most French natives on GAF are like that I assume, because we, more than the average voter, are aware of what happened in the US. I've been worried since the premier tour. I still believe a Le Pen victory is a possibility. But assuming she will lose, which would already be swell, it would be wonderful if she fared even worse than polls predict.

[EDIT] Reaslistically, the worst realistic scenario I'm expecting is 55/45 for Macron.

It's not a very shallow view of the world, quite the contrary. Brexit and Trump are just 2 symptoms of the same cause: The strong push towards right wing politics and nationalism in the Western world. It's been coming for several years now.

I don't think we ever should consider anything a done deal in regards to politics. Was Marine Le Pen likely to win the French presidential race? No. But it was still possible. It's never wrong to be concerned and let that concern muster the motivation to engage in politics.
Sure anything is possible but incredibly shallow analysis saying it'll happen because it happen s before adds nothing to the conversation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom