• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

|OT| French Presidential Elect 2017 - La France est toujours insoumise; Le Pen loses

GAF Decides

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Some of my friends are right-wing hard-ons, supporting Fillon even with all the shit that showed he was a terrible person.

I'm hesitant to send them a sarcastic text for the lulz but it's not worth losing a friendship over that eh.

The good thing is I won't hear them bitch about how the media is unfair to Fillon anymore.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I see everyone already blaming abstentionists for the next round.
If you want votes, convince people to vote for you, not against someone else, people are tired of the "but she's worst" argument.
Even if, yes, she's worst.

This is exactly the argument used by Bernie supporters. Especially those voting with Trump in the end. I fully expect the more militant Melenchon supporters to vote for Lepen. Because of their misguided idea of what a system and anti-system means.

Sure, if you don't care if Lepen is your president abstain as much as you want.

He said before that if he didn't make it to the second round he would consult the France Insoumise activists before giving any endorsement.

He hasn't talked yet but his lieutenants are not endorsing Macron or Le Pen so I think his position will be the same.

latest

N7.Angel

Don't panic people, Macron has already more votes than Lepen in the first round when we had to choose over 11 candidates, it'll be an easy win for him, especially with everyone calling for voting Macron.

Does it really matter who wins the first round? I thought all it mattered was being Top 2 as long as #1 is not over 50%. I think it's gonna be LePen vs Macron in the runoff.

being in round 2 against FN is important. Almost every candidate will support Macron, or at least call to fight LePen. FN won't have any clear support.

Tamanator

Some of my friends are right-wing hard-ons, supporting Fillon even with all the shit that showed he was a terrible person.

I'm hesitant to send them a sarcastic text for the lulz but it's not worth losing a friendship over that eh.

The good thing is I won't hear them bitch about how the media is unfair to Fillon anymore.

Do you think they'll switch their support to either Macron or Le Pen or will they just not vote next round?

RPGCrazied

Don't panic people, Macron has already more votes than Lepen in the first round when we had to choose over 11 candidates, it'll be an easy win for him, especially with everyone calling for voting Macron.

And don't forget France doesn't have the electoral college. If we didn't have that shit, Clinton would be President.

Are there going to be any more TV debates before the second round? And if yes how do we expect Macron to fare in a one-to-one debate against Le Pen?

Alx

Yeah Fillon is dead. It was everything or nothig for him : either he can salvage his career by winning the election, or he'll be "the one that lost the election he had in the bag".
The future will be interesting since the righ is headless now. Juppé is retired, Sarkozy... well should be dead too but you never know, and now Fillon is out. Time for new blood I guess.

Are there going to be any more TV debates before the second round? And if yes how do we expect Macron to fare in a one-to-one debate against Le Pen?

Probably so. The second round debate is usually a very popular event, and was only skipped when Jean-Marie Le Pen passed the first round in 2002. But things are different now and I don't think Macron can ignore Le Pen like Chirac did her father.
As for debating skills, well Le Pen is clearly better than Macron on that field, but Macron could hold his own during the first round debate, so you never know.

Jisgsaw

Does it really matter who wins the first round? I thought all it mattered was being Top 2 as long as #1 is not over 50%. I think it's gonna be LePen vs Macron in the runoff.

It doesn't matter per se.
However, one of the two being the FN, the first round result will be close to her second round result, as it should be quite near to her hard cap, most people being staunchly anti-FN. As seen in 2002.

Koren

Well, LePen supporters are defiitively disappointed.

The fact is, if she had a lead, especially if she was close to 30%, there could have been a dynamic helping her in the second turn. It's always better to have a lead.

That's kinda the same thing that happened to Mélenchon, his good polls brought more people to him.

KonradLaw

Of course...

Watch it end up being Le Pen vs Fillion after all...

Those numbers are meaningless. The rural areas have few voters per voting location, so they end up counting far quicker than those in cities. This is why the partial vote counts aren't translatable to entire country.

gatormatt

This is exactly the argument used by Bernie supporters. Especially those voting with Trump in the end. I fully expect the more militant Melenchon supporters to vote for Lepen. Because of their misguided idea of what a system and anti-system means.

Sure, if you don't care if Lepen is your president abstain as much as you want.

Exactly. You're not always going to get the exact candidate that you want. Sometimes you have to choose between a Giant Douche and a Turd Sandwich.

Par Score

Absolutely correct.

I remember a few months ago when everyone was projecting Le Pen to walk the first round.

Now the dust has settled and it turns out she's neck-and-neck with Macron? The 2nd round won't even be close.

RPGCrazied

Clinton would have been better than Trump for sure but seriously, the best chance for the US in the future would be Michelle Obama.

No doubt. She is better then Trump, but don't hope she runs again. She can campaign for someone, but I think its better to move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom