• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

|OT| French Presidential Elect 2017 - La France est toujours insoumise; Le Pen loses

GAF Decides

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

oti

Banned
I agree and the funny thing is that a lot of germans hate the Euro and don't even understand that it's the Euro together with the high export that makes Germany so strong.

There's one party advocating for leaving the Euro and they are nutjobs. The weird nostalgia for the Deutsche Mark is dying.

LordKano

Conversely, saying macron has it won already is exceedingly premature.

It is, of course, premature, but right now all odds are in his favour, and, while it's not impossible at all that it could change, I don't see anything happening in the next two weeks that could completely inverse the situation. Not even a terrorist attack.

Mimosa97

C-Hy6XzXcAEvWiv.jpg

Young millenials voted massively for Mélenchon (and Marine with 21% ...). Older millinials (like me) voted massively for Macron.

The boombers were split between Macron and Fillon

The silent generation massively voted for Fillon.

Koren

"Le Pen just need to win Michigan, guys"

Seriously, its not about being arrogant, its only that France has a normal democracy with no electoral college, that's why all your memes are not relevant.
I'm not sure that the US system is wrong, even if I can understand it seems strange (and I dislike the results, but I'm not american, and I don't believe the media that says Hilary is white and Trump is bkack).

But as far as the french system being "normal"... well, the legislatives is a winner-takes-all, and that's what define the actual politics. We only have a larger number of "pieces", about ten times more.

EmiPrime

We voted in 2012 again. Compared to then he went up to become the second largest party. So support did increase again, just not as much as some thought.

Yeah but it shows he has a ceiling for his support; he has peaked already. Moot anyway as no other party will form a coalition with him, his party is at best a pressure group but with no real aspirations of power.

In Germany AfD are a mess and they too have a ceiling for their support (somewhere between 10 and 15%). That election will be between the SPD and the CD.

This narrative some are trying to push of the far right taking over in Europe and the EU's future being under a credible threat is bollocks.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
No offense, but every pundit under the sun swore up and down for 2 years that there was no way Donald Trump could be president. The fact that he even is seems a hell of a lot more unlikelier than Macron blowing a 30 point lead.

sure okay but if your position is "we can't possibly know anything and no evidence is real and also the worst thing possible will always happen" then there's not really any way to have a conversation

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Macron has larger leads than Hillary ever did and if the French system existed in America Hillary would have won.

The comparisons are ridiculous. You can't just scream "TRUMP" at everything.

The Independent says Pen won.

With 20 million votes counted from France's 47 million strong electorate, the figures put the leader of the far-right Front National (FN) on 24.38 per cent, where she is expected to face centrist Emmanuel Macron who is on 22.19 per cent.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...ond-round-first-results-suggest-a7698191.html

Manoko

I'm sad to see such a second turn but oh well, Mélenchon might have lose now and he probably won't be a candidate next time but France Insoumise is not dead yet.

I'm especially disgusted to see Fillon that high, I didn't have a lot of faith in my fellow french people, but now what's left of it is just gone.

As someone who voted for Mélenchon, I probably won't vote for the next round. I know the right thing to do is to unite against Le Pen and I hope she won't win, but this kind of way of doing politics is what put us in a status quo between UMP/LR and the PS for all these years, which is exactly what's going to happen again.

I agree with everything you just said.
I'm not going to vote for the second turn either.

Are you guys talking about Mélenchon or Macron? Haven't been listening.

Macron.

Macron's speech was pretty bad (slow, long, badly written, no drive) save for two things:

- the nod to the other candidates
- 'being a President of patriots against the threat of nationalists', which I liked a lot.

Mélenchon's speech was abysmal for other reasons: he doesn't call his followers to vote against LePen.

Alx

Sure but who gets to 2nd round? The FN would likely get there again, mainly because by then the immigration and terrorism issues will remain. The EU will remain a scapegoat for everything.

There's nothing in sight that could turn the situation around, other than an end to the refugee crisis(es) and an economic boom. Neither is likely at all. The EU's only hope is serious reforms to make the anti-EU rhetoric less effective. At some point, populist parties will do the maths and realize that defending the EU and the status quo is more harmful to their own interest. We've already seen that this time. Macron's support is not a pro-EU statement by voters, it's an anti-FN one, and there's a big difference.

Brexit => people will see what it means to exit the EU. For better or worse (probably worse IMO, which won't help the FN).
Refugee crisis => I doubt Syria will be in the same state it is today. For better or worse too, but things will have to change one way or another in the next 5 years (probably sooner than that).
Terrorism => ISIS won't be the same it is either. As a matter of fact it's more likely we will be discussing another organization that replaced it, like they mostly replaced Al Qaeda, but they're already on the way out (their recent terror attacks were DIY by loonies, and they couldn't even get the name of the latest right).
Economy status => big unknown, as it always is.

No offense, but every pundit under the sun swore up and down for 2 years that there was no way Donald Trump could be president. The fact that he even is seems a hell of a lot more unlikelier than Macron blowing a 30 point lead.

And the pundits that said Trump couldn't win are the same ones that say Le Pen is a lock right now. The Trump / Brexit / Le Pen comparisons are based on absolutely nothing. It's not impossible of course, we need to keep the electorate motivated for the next two weeks. The media just wants to sell the easy narrative that this is Trump 2.0 but it's just not.

Bronx-Man

Banned
sure okay but if your position is "we can't possibly know anything and no evidence is real and also the worst thing possible will always happen" then there's not really any way to have a conversation
I'm not saying the worst possible thing will happen, I'm saying that firmly claiming that Le Pen has no chance of winning is ridiculous considering how many times we said "Leave/Trump has no chance of winning" and got proven wrong twice.

I think Macron will win but in this fucked up age of global politics, we can't be 100% about anything.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

You read enough of the article to quote it -- what does the article suggest about how we can project the full vote based on the current vote? What does the article suggest about you claim that Le Pen won?

I'm not saying the worst possible thing will happen, I'm saying that firmly claiming that Le Pen has no chance of winning is ridiculous considering how many times we said "Leave/Trump has no chance of winning" and got proven wrong twice.

Okay so you're not saying we can't know anything and the worst thing will happen, you're saying we can't know anything with any degree of certainty and the worst thing is probably going to happen? Like, if your issue is that you can't rule out a victory 100%, what subjective probability would you give for a Le Pen victory and based on what evidence?

Just got back from a long weekend with no Internet. I voted Mélenchon after hugely hesitating to vote Macron. The former didn't reach the second round but at least I have no regrets.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Read again.

I know not all the results are in but having the Far Right get though to the next round is quite terrifying really.
Something I thought would not have been possible a couple of years ago.

tuxfool

Banned
C-Hy6XzXcAEvWiv.jpg

Young millenials voted massively for Mélenchon (and Marine with 21% ...). Older millinials (like me) voted massively for Macron.

What this chart tells me is that the the power of the FN youth is vastly overstated.

Koren

The Independent says Pen won.
It's probably for the rural areas (voting stops earlier), where LePen will be ahead of Macron, but she'll be behind in the whole country.

Still, that's not the issue. In a direct match, Macron has a huge lead.

Basically ALL loosing candidates are calling to vote for Macron (probably not Asselineau? Lol)

And actual voters will not be unanimous in this, but I don't think a single >5% candidate has supporters that won't majoritarly vote for Macron.

In a direct match, he currently has a 65/35 advantage. It's hard to overcome. Usually, FN doesn't increase much between turns, +12-13% is alread a huge boost between turns.

Bronx-Man

Banned
You read enough of the article to quote it -- what does the article suggest about how we can project the full vote based on the current vote? What does the article suggest about you claim that Le Pen won?

Okay so you're not saying we can't know anything and the worst thing will happen, you're saying we can't know anything with any degree of certainty and the worst thing is probably going to happen? Like, if your issue is that you can't rule out a victory 100%, what subjective probability would you give for a Le Pen victory and based on what evidence?
I'll go 25% based off of all of 2016. I get that my posts are coming off as THE SKY IS FALLING but it's more of a back-of-the-mind type of fear.

Ac30

C-Hy6XzXcAEvWiv.jpg

That one last gasp for fundamentalist Catholicism

JLM's cowardice in the face of fascism was expected but still disturbing. What kind of leftist sits idly as the far right rises to the seats of power? A leftist that is not worth as much as he thinks.

Hamon was the true standard bearer of the left this election. Sad he got so little. Still, it would have been better to have had a Melenchon vs Macron run off, so I am also annoyed that Hamon didn't withdraw. As much as I dislike JLM he is better than MLP. But now Hamon is doing his duty and Melenchon is not. Shame on Melenchon.

Acorn

Fucking bigots rise continues unabated. Disgusting and disturbing.

The Western world has went back in time to the early 20th century.

benjipwns

Banned
Candidates making up seven and eleven point deficits within three and nine months respectively happen all the time. (Has even happened in recent French Presidential elections!)

Candidates making up thirty plus point deficits within three weeks don't. And it's not these particular candidates, Le Pen has trailed for the last three years by large amounts against every hypothetical opponent except Hollande (who she led briefly) and Sarkozy (who she got within ten points of). She has a clear cap in a system where your upper bound is everything.

JLM's cowardice in the face of fascism was expected but still disturbing. What kind of leftist sits idly as the far right rises to the seats of power? A leftist that is not worth as much as he thinks.

Hamon was the true standard bearer of the left this election. Sad he got so little. Still, it would have been better to have had a Melenchon vs Macron run off, so I am also annoyed that Hamon didn't withdraw. As much as I dislike JLM he is better than MLP. But now Hamon is doing his duty and Melenchon is not. Shame on Melenchon.

the Far-Left in a nutshell....
ready to let the world burn just to prove a point

Bronx-Man

Banned
Candidates making up seven and eleven point deficits within three and nine months respectively happen all the time.

Candidates making up thirty plus point deficits within three weeks don't. And it's not these particular candidates, Le Pen has trailed for the last three years by large amounts against every hypothetical opponent except Hollande (who she led briefly) and Sarkozy (who she got within ten points of). She has a clear cap in a system where your upper bound is everything.
Alright, Macron's got this. I trust you.

Le Pen doubters mirroring the Trump naysayers so much with the "they wont get that far", "the polls are not on their side", "surely this will be the end of their campaign" and here we are, much closer then anyone would have predicted and only getting closer to her potentially winning.

I am not sure what could make me rest easy about this one after the last year of upsets. Just got to hope for the best I guess.

LordKano

You also need to understand that, unlike Trump, Le Pen actually had a terrible campaign. Even though it may seems bizarre when looking at the numbers. Not to say Macron had a particularly good one though.

RPGCrazied

And again I'd like to point out France doesn't have the electoral college, its the only reason Trump won. I really do think Le Pen can't win.

If I could I'd vote for Macron if I lived there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom