• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

|OT| of Lips

Got this for Xmas, finally loaded it up recently. It's a fun game, but I'm not real big on the songlist. But I did download Haddaway, Ace of Base, and Earth Wind & Fire. Awesome fun songs. :D

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
cjelly said:
Too many feminine songs, IMO.

Not so for me. I consider Lips and Singstar party games. Whenever I play these games, there's a lot of females in attendance, so Lips' female vocalist ratio is just right. Singstar has a major problem with lack of female vocalist songs. If you want the sausagefest, pick up that game.

Alcibiades

I'm hosting a Lips event at my school (can see promo here - http://aggienights.tamu.edu/), but damn I think some people are gonna be disappointed in the song choice.

Karaoke at these events usually consists of like 20 CDs and at least 150+ songs, many of them very popular like Britney Spears, Elvis, etc...

Now these might be decent songs on the disc, but they need to put out stuff like "bye bye bye", "hit me one more time", "wannabe", etc... and other major pop hits that really go well with karaoke.

I'm downloading a few of the DLC to expand the selection I'll be using and I haven't heard like 80% of these songs even though I know the artists (for example, I like Maroon 5 and have heard "This Love" a song I love in real life, but that's their only song I really know well, never heard of the one available on DLC). Also, for the Cardigans, Lovefool would have been a much better karaoke choice... a lot of these selection are slow rock or slow R&B and there needs to be more upbeat stuff...

I'm sure the game will be fun tonight (i've been testing it out myself), but if there are complaints about song selection when almost 200 songs are available, it's gonna be bad when there are only 50 songs and many of them are obscure to people that only follow the most popular music...

Tntnnbltn

Available on 3/6
* Hook Me Up – The Veronicas
* Lips of an Angel – Hinder
* Shake It – Metro Station

Available on 3/13
* Coldplay song pack
– "The Scientist"
– "Speed of Sound"
– "In My Place"

RBH

March brings a slew of fixes, features, and fan favorites to the Xbox 360 karaoke game Lips, with an early March title update delivering improved scoring and international leaderboards, just in time for Coldplay.

As a proud owner of Lips, I've often felt the game has given me far too much credit for my vibrato. I mean, I can vibrato as well as the next guy, but Lips thinks I'm some kind of vibrato machine. Hopefully that error will be fixed in the early March Lips title update, which promises to improve the game's scoring system, tweak vibrato detection, and launch global leaderboards, allowing me to see how much better everyone else in the world sings. Joy!

The update is scheduled for early March, ideally before the March 13th release of the Coldplay track pack, featuring three songs from the Grammy-award winning band: "The Scientist", "Speed of Sound", and "In My Place."

http://kotaku.com/5160884/lips-getting-better-scoring-leaderboards-and-coldplay

tmarques

cjelly said:
You can set them to soft, and turn the mics all the way up using the triggers.

Did you notice a significant difference between "soft" and "hard"? I could swear it sounded the same, but maybe I didn't really change it. Only played it once last weekend and found the menus a tad confusing. I still don't understand why that option isn't in the global options menu.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
tmarques said:
Did you notice a significant difference between "soft" and "hard"? I could swear it sounded the same, but maybe I didn't really change it. Only played it once last weekend and found the menus a tad confusing. I still don't understand why that option isn't in the global options menu.
There is a definite difference, yes.

I agree, that and the lag setting should both be in the main settings.

January's DLC was really good. I hope they have leaderboards sorted by song. I would really like if there was a rechargable battery pack for the mics made.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Looks like the title update will change the game completely:

This week, we're excited to announce the new upcoming title update and Power Pack DLC. Over the past few months, we've been listening to your feedback and working hard on a title update to improve the Lips experience for everyone. The new title update includes several highly-requested features and fixes, and implements some significant changes to the scoring system.

First, some key features: the Lips Title Update includes song leaderboards, a mic calibration tool, and a news ticker for DLC announcements and other Lips-related updates.

With the leaderboards, you can now compare your score with those of players across the globe! Compete against your friends and with anybody around the world to get the highest score on your favorite songs.

Delays between the audio and video can put a serious kink in your Lips experience--but fear no more! The new mic calibration tool now adjusts your scoring to account for delay. Now your perfect timing will get that well-deserved Cool! rating!

Want to know what the latest DLC is without leaving the comfort of your Lips home screen? Problem solved: the news ticker now displays the latest and greatest Lips DLC announcements. Just flip over to your Get Music screen and purchase your favorite new tracks from this week's selection. It's as easy as 1-2-3!

Expanding your library with DLC is even easier now with the new title update. Now, downloaded Lips tracks added to your library will automatically be imported into the Sing! menu. How convenient.

Lastly, we wanted to bring your attention to a significant change in the scoring system for Lips. For starters, we've added algorithms to help detect white noise and reduce its impact on scoring, so simply blowing into the mic won’t rack up the points anymore. We've also made rap-marker detection more precise than before; no more mumbling your way through "Bust A Move" or "Lip Gloss"--now you've got to enunciate and elucidate. Finally, adjustments to pitch-detection, vibrato detection, and scoop detection have balanced out gameplay that some people have complained is too "easy" or random.

With these scoring changes, people may notice their scores on songs changing significantly, which is why we wanted to give you a heads-up before the newest title update comes out. For a more in-depth explanation of the scoring changes, we'll be posting an article explaining the scoring in the title updated Lips next week.

Until the new title update comes out, enjoy the newest DLC for the week and start brushing up your chops! The time to compete against players from across the globe is almost nigh. Finally, a chance to prove that you are the best Lips singer out there!

t3nmilez

All I want is for the title update to make it so DLC works if you're in a different region. I've had little desire to go back to this game after it took my money for the songs and won't let me use them.

jedimike

This is a great game, but it desperately needed some fixing. I'm so happy to see inis finally patching this title. I could deal with the download issues, but the mic delay was beyond frustrating.

DTJAAAAM

I wonder if the title update has anything to do with the challenge servers being down for the past few days. I just need 4 more wins for that achievement!

Tntnnbltn

March 20 DLC:
* Snow - "Informer"
* Dolly Parton - "Nine To Five"
* Rammstein - "Sonne"

March 20 DLC:
"Down on the Corner" Creedance Clearwater Revival
"Won't Go Home Without You" Maroon 5
"Reunited" Peaches & Herb

RBH

Lips: Coldplay and Boys Like Girls

Content: "The Scientist"
Price: 180 Microsoft Points
Availability: All regions except India, Japan, Korea
Dash Text: [ESRB: T (Teen) MILD CARTOON VIOLENCE,MILD LYRICS,SUGGESTIVE THEMES,USE OF TOBACCO] Purchase this Premium Song to add "The Scientist" as performed by Coldplay to your Lips library. You’ll get the song’s track, chart, lyrics, and original video. A Lips game disc is required to play this downloadable content. Once your purchase is complete, go to Get Music in the game, and then add this song to your library. Visit lips.com to check out all the songs you can get, song credits, news, and join the Lips community. There are no refunds for this item. For more information, see www.xbox.com/live/accounts.

Content: "Speed Of Sound"
Price: 180 Microsoft Points
Dash Text: [ESRB: T (Teen) MILD CARTOON VIOLENCE,MILD LYRICS,SUGGESTIVE THEMES,USE OF TOBACCO] Purchase this Premium Song to add "Speed Of Sound" as performed by Coldplay to your Lips library. You’ll get the song’s track, chart, lyrics, and original video. A Lips game disc is required to play this downloadable content. Once your purchase is complete, go to Get Music in the game, and then add this song to your library. Visit lips.com to check out all the songs you can get, song credits, news, and join the Lips community. There are no refunds for this item. For more information, see www.xbox.com/live/accounts.

Content: "The Great Escape"
Price: 160 Microsoft Points
Dash Text: [ESRB: T (Teen) MILD CARTOON VIOLENCE,MILD LYRICS,SUGGESTIVE THEMES,USE OF TOBACCO] Purchase this Premium Song to add "The Great Escape" as performed by Boys Like Girls to your Lips library. You’ll get the song’s track, chart, lyrics, and original video. A Lips game disc is required to play this downloadable content. Once your purchase is complete, go to Get Music in the game, and then add this song to your library. Visit lips.com to check out all the songs you can get, song credits, news, and join the Lips community. There are no refunds for this item. For more information, see www.xbox.com/live/accounts.

Tntnnbltn

RBH said:
Lips: Coldplay and Boys Like Girls

Content: "The Great Escape"
Price: 160 Microsoft Points
Wonder what happened to Coldplay's "In My Place"...

toff74

Still loving this 'game', but i have a few questions..

Is there a way to play the videos without note charts, like a jukebox thing, but without it changing after 20 seconds? Surely they now belong to me to do with as i please lol

Does anyone else have problems with previewing the DLC. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't!

And finally.. when is the update. PLanned for GDC? lol

Drakken

How does playing songs off of your iPod/Zune work? I read that you're actually judged and scored based on your singing for your own songs, which is cool. How accurate is this, though? And I don't imagine it saves your scores on these songs?

Tek

toff74 said:
Still loving this 'game', but i have a few questions..

Is there a way to play the videos without note charts, like a jukebox thing, but without it changing after 20 seconds? Surely they now belong to me to do with as i please lol

Does anyone else have problems with previewing the DLC. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't!

And finally.. when is the update. PLanned for GDC? lol

YES!!! Its so annoying...I don't know why Lips can't use a system like Rock Band. Previewing songs in LIPS never works...

Tntnnbltn

March 27 DLC
1970: Creedence Clearwater Revival - "Who'll Stop The Rain"
1994: Boyz II Men - "I'll Make Love To You"
1996: Local H Rock - "Bound for the Floor"

Alcibiades

I really wish they would get some mainstream sugar-pop stuff like N'Sync and Britney Spears on there, stuff that's corny to sing but really fits the karaoke bill.

Tntnnbltn

April 3 DLC
1969: Creedence Clearwater Revival - "Bad Moon Rising"
2001: Incubus - "Wish You Were Here"
2005: Fall Out Boy - "Sugar We're Goin Down"

My best friend's wife tried the update and said that her score is now half the score it was before. Which is good for my friend and me as both his wife and my girlfriend pwned us thanks to that faulty Vibratio recognition.

Don't know anything about the remaining features. Will look into it tonight.

Blue Geezer said:
The update is supposed to be out today.

has anyone had the chance to try it yet?
I checked it out this morning. Global leaderboards are cool. Scoreboard is displayed upon song completion. No more false Vibrato bonuses. Auto mic calibration is easy, quick and worked great for me.

toff74

I was resigned to the update not coming for anotherr few weeks.. to my suprise it's here :) Gonna be checking it out later..

Now roll on the song packs!!!

What happened to Dolly Parton?

Tntnnbltn

April 10 DLC:
1970: Creedence Clearwater Revival - "Looking Out My Back Door"
2005: Ne-Yo - "So Sick"
2008: Ne-Yo - "Closer"

Coldplay Song Pack
* Coldplay - "In My Place"
* Coldplay - "Speed Of Sound"
* Coldplay - "The Scientist"

Ne-Yo Song Pack
* Ne-Yo - "Closer"
* Ne-Yo - "So Sick
* Ne-Yo feat. Rihanna - "Hate That I Love You"

April 17 DLC:
1997: K-Ci & Jo Jo - "All My Life"
2000: 3 Doors Down - "Kryptonite"
2001: Travis - "Sing"

Creedence Clearwater Revival Song Pack
* Creedence Clearwater Revival - "Looking Out My Back Door"
* Creedence Clearwater Revival - "Bad Moon Rising"
* Creedence Clearwater Revival - "Who’ll Stop the Rain"

April 27 DLC:
1993: The Cranberries - "Linger"
2004: Yellowcard - "Ocean Avenue"
2006: Mika - "Love Today"

Source

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Yay:

3432051559_3366307a91_o.jpg

toff74

cjelly said:

Nice one...

I'm determined to get back in to Lips.. think i'm at 855 or something. Need the challange one and all the 'stars' ones. Please bring a few more songs :)

Anyhows.. love the update and cant wait for a bit of Shine edit: or is that sing!!! this Friday!!!!

Top Bottom