• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT| My Onlywatch Has Ended

Status
Not open for further replies.
when mercy gets all the commendations despite you slaying half the squad by yourself

ada.jpg

ACKNOWLEDGE ME SENPAI

Gojeran

Hey Gaf how hostile is the OW community to new players? I didn't play the beta or anything but was considering picking this up. Games like this always look amazing and fun to me but I never end up playing them because I don't want to get yelled at and mocked for not being pro. If I'm looking for something more casual would I be better off with console version? Traditionally in like a 90% PC gamer but I'm open to the idea of getting the ps4 version.

Alright first night of playing. Here's some info no one cares about:

Favorite characters:
Offense:
Genji, really like him, not good with him. Working on it.
Tracer, was looking forward to this one, turns out I'm not good at 'poking' but love the abilities
Pharrah: Revelation! Wasn't even on my radar, fun as hell!

Defense:
Trojbourn(I give up on the spelling): He seemed way OP the first few games, seems like people are already wising up to his act. Fun character.
Junkrat: Love this dude! The mine is crazy good, I love just bombarding the objective.
Hanzo: only played one game, was really fun, I think I might end up using him instead of Widowmaker.
Mei: BAE! Fun as hell, and you can feel the rage of your enemies as they are blocked by yet another ice wall.

Tank:
Don't play them much tbh. But I had one match as Zarya and I'm interested in playing her more.

Support:
Lucio: My man! When he's working it's fun as hell.

It speaks to the quality that every time I try a new character I have fun. But a few that didn't click with me in very limited time: Winston, Reinhardt, Mercy.

Awesome game!

Worst POTG was a high noon that wiped 5 of my team.. The best part was in the film the real POTG was also shown, our mercy( heroes never die ) to bring them all back for the win on control.

Stupid POTG is always kill sprees

How's the PS4 community for this game? This looks really fun, but it definitely seems like PC is the dominant community for this.

(console pleb over here)

Nyx

My very first minutes in the game, as Symmetra, and I end up with a 5 kill streak and POTG.

Favorite character for sure.

Ended up playing for 3 hours, now having a short break before I go again. :)

Hey Gaf how hostile is the OW community to new players? I didn't play the beta or anything but was considering picking this up. Games like this always look amazing and fun to me but I never end up playing them because I don't want to get yelled at and mocked for not being pro. If I'm looking for something more casual would I be better off with console version? Traditionally in like a 90% PC gamer but I'm open to the idea of getting the ps4 version.
Not hostile much at all because it's pretty difficult to tell how good the rest of the team is doing outside of playing the objective. Plus the games are short so no one is too invested. I wouldn't worry about this at all really.

I got 3 legendary costumes in 3 consecutive loot boxes. Either I'm the luckiest guy or they've turned down the rarity somewhat (Punk costume for Tracer, Ifrit for Zenyatta and Shiva for Symmetra if you're curious)

You're pretty lucky!. People have gone through at least dozen with no legendary. I've gone through 5 and have only gotten as high as blue rarity

the only time people get mad is when you take valuable offensive player slots without the skill to use them well--in those scenarios just go with support and you'll be fine

some games you'll get a heavy support team and you can take advantage of those moments to work on your offensive gameplay

Guru-Guru

Banned
I played 4.5 hours tonight. Intended to do 2 hours or so, but my friends and I ended up on a ridiculous lose streak (after some initial wins), and we promised to not stop playing until we got a win. It came down to the wire too. The control game mode is so damn tense!

Well I caved and bought the expensive loot box bundle. Ended up getting a ton of cash and legendaries. I getting really lucky on loot boxes from leveling as well. I'm at 8 legendary skins and a ton of epic stuff

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Had a ton of fun last night, though lost most matches. I did get two epics (both for shielding with Reinhardt) and one play if the game (triple kill with Pharah's super) after getting none in the beta.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
How's the PS4 community for this game? This looks really fun, but it definitely seems like PC is the dominant community for this.

(console pleb over here)

GAF or overall?

There's about 90+ people on PS4 from GAF.

But I never had a problem finding a full game when I was playing some randoms.

Easiest way to guarantee no commendations is to play Zarya because they only always seem to put your shields projected stat up which nobody cares about. Had 15 eliminations with her, wrecking everybody, and my stat is 31 shields projected and no one cares.

Alavard

I would say not to worry about it and just dive in. I haven't seen any flaming in the chat at all, at least none because of low skill or bad plays, just the occasional reminder for people to play for the objective and a call for someone to switch when we're missing a tank or support.

Guru-Guru

Banned
I managed to get a legendary on my first treasure chest I opened. No luck since then, but I seem to be getting way more skins in general compared to when I was playing on the beta.

eloxx

Looked at the trophy list on a 3rd party site (psnprofiles) and they are definitely reporting percentages incorrectly. lol. Wonder what is up with that. I'll be impressed if someone ever gets every single one of these.

The percentages are correct. They just don't incorporate all PSN users, only registered profiles on the site are taken into these numbers. Also the percentage of trophy interested profiles (trophy hunters and such) is very high on the site, thus are the percentages way more accurate than in the PS4 interface.

Gojeran

Nice that sounds good. Thanks for the fast replies. Thing is I like playing support classes generally so maybe that will work out well for me. In MMOs I tend to run as a white Mage (I know its not an MMO). Perhaps I'll pick it up when I get home from work. I do love blizzard games.

Interfectum

(console pleb over here)

Game is selling well on Amazon, lots of Gaffers have it, instant Queues last night... I think you'd be fine getting the game. PC obv gonna be more dominant but I think the PS4 community going to be a decent size.

Still debating between the Xbone and PC versions. I prefer controller vs kb/m for shooters. Don't know any IRL friends picking up the game but if they did it would be on Xbone. Decisions decisions.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
My overall performance last night was pretty dreadful (lost way more games than I won) but I am still wanting to play and hope I get decent soon. It's kind of frustrating when it feels like most other people playing are already really familiar with the hero they are playing with on launch day, whereas I am actually playing like a person who is playing a new game for the first time.

vypek

The percentages are correct. They just don't incorporate all PSN users, only registered profiles on the site are taken into these numbers. Also the percentage of trophy interested profiles (trophy hunters and such) is very high on the site, thus are the percentages way more accurate than in the PS4 interface.

I realize that. The reason I said psnprofiles was off is because people have earned trophies but all are reported as 0.00%

I was expected some inflated numbers from trophy hunters but they aren't there :)

is it just me or are some hitboxes just shit?

e.g. Hanzo arrows, Reinhard hammer swings

IDK about the hammer but we have seen videos of Hanzo arrows having very large hitboxes

My overall performance last night was pretty dreadful (lost way more games than I won) but I am still wanting to play and hope I get decent soon. It's kind of frustrating when it feels like most other people playing are already really familiar with the hero they are playing with on launch day, whereas I am actually playing like a person who is playing a new game for the first time.
You'll catch up. I was surprised by how adept most people I played last night were, honestly. Especially the first few games before MMR kicked in, hoo boy. We got rolled by some very coordinated teams.

Cmagus

I'm really liking Soldier 76 and I'm pretty good with him in overall damage and keeping people healed.

Tank wise I like D.Va best but Zarya is also really good. I got a nice blue skin for Winston today and a gold Junkrat spray;

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Nice that sounds good. Thanks for the fast replies. Thing is I like playing support classes generally so maybe that will work out well for me. In MMOs I tend to run as a white Mage (I know its not an MMO). Perhaps I'll pick it up when I get home from work. I do love blizzard games.

support classes are pretty rare so far. everyone is happy to have a heal.

Clydebink

Neo Member
Is there an alternate route through the first choke-point on Hanamura? Mei kept freezing the entrance in a game last night and it was really effective at keeping me of of A.

Yeah it's really bad on PC. I'm playing on PS4 for friends but I popped into the PC version and veterans everywhere. It's just launch week people will get up to speed over the month.

Characters that I just don't like to play as/ can't play

Hanzo
Reaper
Mercy
Bastion
Mine are Hanzo, Torbjorn, Reinhardt, Roadhog. Most of the tank and defense heroes (except for Winston and Junkrat) just don't do it for me.

I had a -75% XP penalty for leaving. Not sure how long it lasts though.

It's not a huge deal if you don't care about cosmetics that much. You can still hop right into matches and stuff.
Quitting is bad for the soul.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom